Menu

Moving kids around in rooms-help please!

Meadowlark

Currently we have the 3 boys (9, 7, 4) downstairs together in a quite large bedroom with huge closet.  The 2 girls (4, 3) are in separate average sized bedrooms upstairs. We want to move the girls together, which leaves an empty room upstairs. The problem is, who gets it? We just cannot seem to come to a decision.

Boy (7) REALLY wants it. He's a late sleeper, hates picking up everyone else's stuff, and overall just wants a bit more privacy.

Boy (9) also says he wants it, but with less passion. He is an early riser, very active and social. He also is going through the "terrible 9's" or something right now, and is not being very nice to his siblings, especially boy (5) who seems to annoy him at every turn. I'm actually kind of afraid to put him with my son (5) because he really seems to be bullying him a bit. The 7 year old can hold his own with him.

Boy (5) is very mild mannered, sweet and overall easygoing. I don't think he cares where he is.

I was thinking first of giving the room to boy (7) but since then, the problems between the other 2 have come up and I just have a weird feeling about leaving them together alone downstairs. Then I thought Id put the 5 yr. old in the new room, but then I thought "he's a middle child and will be the only one not sharing a room". Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I don't want him to feel left out.

Recently, I've thought about putting the oldest in there, but then I think that's rewarding him for his bullying behavior, which I don't want to do. Plus, he's a strong personality and I'm not sure I want him that close to us, for real. A little separation downstairs is good.

What would you do? I think it will break my 7 year old's heart if I don't give it to him. I gave him the impression a long time ago that he would be getting it because no one else expressed an interest. But since then, the other problems arose and the oldest wants it too.

Just hoping someone will point something out that I haven't yet thought of. Thanks!

Hmmm, probably not long term as the three youngest are 1 boy and 2 girls.

I was thinking of this same solution. My ten year old son still shares a room with his sisters, and my sister and I shared with our brothers until the oldest was 12 or so. I think pre-adolescent siblings of opposite sexes are fine sharing a room.

I was thinking of this same solution. My ten year old son still shares a room with his sisters, and my sister and I shared with our brothers until the oldest was 12 or so. I think pre-adolescent siblings of opposite sexes are fine sharing a room.

Oh, and we also already have 2 "girly" twin beds that we bought last year, so their room is pretty much set. But thanks for the suggestion!

I would give the two oldest their own rooms and put the 3 youngest together in the big room. That should work well for several years yet. My DD and DS shared a room until DD was 12 and we moved into a house where she could have her own room. In general for kids under 10 or so, I wouldn't worry about separating by gender.

• Like 3

I think I would put the girls together downstairs (and employ a baby monitor for a sense of proximity) and move all 3 boys upstairs. I'd put 7 and 5 together in the room that 7 was imagining as his, and 9 alone. Or maybe 7 and 9 each alone upstairs, and 5 stays downstairs, with sisters joining him.

My priority would be removing 9 from close contact to reduce his stress/bully responses: and keeping him closer to build up his sense of care, supervision and accountability. Those aren't rewards, so I'm not worried about him seeing it that way.

• Like 2

I'll leave that room empty as a privacy hideout for any kid that needs a quiet spot.

When I was a day guest in my uncle's home, I had to "hide" in his study when the noise gets too much because everyone is everywhere.

ETA:

My uncle has 5 kids and his oldest grandkid is slightly younger than me.

Edited by Arcadia

Could you put the girls together still,

put the 9yro in the empty, upstairs room,

and partition the big room downstairs, effectively giving the 5 and the 7yos their own rooms?

That way

girls get to be together

9yo gets away from 5yo

7yo still gets a special space

5yo won't be messing up 7yo's space

Booyah.

• Like 3

I'm seriously pondering keeping it empty. My only concern is that I seem to have given birth to 5 extroverts, and I fear it would be empty most of the time unless I made them go in there.  For example, none of my kids EVER just play in their room. Now, we don't keep very many toys in there, but each have one bin of toys and the boys downstairs have Legos and cars and a few other things, plus a huge bookshelf.  They don't play in there. No one seems to ever want time away (except ME!) They all seem to prefer hanging around in our open concept living room/kitchen area.

I could definitely see making it a part of their school routine though. 30 minutes in the "reading room" or doing their independent work in there with a desk. It's becoming harder and harder as they get older with the 3 littler ones making noise. Right now, we do school around the kitchen table.

Processing...

What else would *you* put in that room if I did keep it empty? School desk, books, maybe a bed, beanbag...??? What else?

ETA: We just built a "sunroom" off of our kitchen (with doors) that serves as the upstairs playroom. So I keep puzzles, coloring books, Magformers, Duplos type of stuff in there for the under 5 crowd.  So I don't really have a need for a playroom with toys per se.

Edited by Meadowlark
  • Like 1

I'd put the 9 year old in as you said he's having some issues with behaviour to siblings. Mine is definitely nicer to his siblings when he has his own space to retreat to for a while. Also he's closer to teen years when he's really going to want his own space. We do have some dynamic going on between my 9yo and 4yo boy. I think a lot of it is 4yo can definitely be annoying and the 9yo just doesn't have the maturity to handle it graciously.

Edited by Ausmumof3