Menu

Verizon's New Plan - no contract. Ouch $$$

sheryl

Lanny,

You're always so kind and helpful!   In a nutshell (because I don't want to hog your time - lol) what towers would virgin use?  is it the same premise of a tracfone. 

I would be interested in that but, while we're not big travelers, we need good coverage for when we do.  One bad encounter of not having a tower when one is needed might have disastrous results.   I know pre-vz. (about 16 - 19 years ago) we had att and the coverage was so bad!  I was driving in the city past our church and the call dropped?!?!!?!?!  Now OS/technology has come a long way but that's out of my comfort zone.  If there is an emergency only 1 time and there is no coverage, that would concern me. 

That's why we didn't go with Tracfones.  As we learned (maybe even here on another thread a few years ago), the major carriers' customers have "1st" priority with tower use and tracfone/knock-offs get the leftover.  Don't know how else to word it. 

Insight?

Thank you. I'm not sure which provider Virgin Mobile uses in the USA.  Here in Colombia, they use the Movistar/Telefonica network, which is #1 or #2 in the country and we have a Movistar/Telefonica tower (3G at the moment, maybe 4G later this year) about one block from our house.

I don't know which network(s) Virgin Mobile uses in the USA. Here is the URL for their Coverage Map:

https://www.virginmobileusa.com/#!/coveragemap/

When I checked, for the area we will be in, NW of WDW, next month, it looks like Virgin Mobile only has Voice Coverage there.  If that is correct and someone also needs Data coverage, that would ELIMINATE them from consideration for me.   We have Data available where we live, in this huge Rural subdivision. That is a major reason we bought new phones and signed up for the Virgin Mobile "Non Plans" that we have. If our ADSL should go down for an extended period, we can use our Cell Phones as WAPs and DD can continue studying.  And  I can pay for extra Data if she needs it. Hopefully, our ADSL will never go down for a long time where that's necessary, but if it does, we are better prepared now.

NOTE: There are GSM phones that can have two (2) SIMS installed in them. My wife's Motorola phone is more upscale and has that capability.  Mine is single SIM.  Not sure about DD's phone as I write this.  My wife has SIM cards for  2 different providers installed in her phone and she can make/receive calls on either carriers network.  That could be a big "plus" if one moves from an area where one provider has great coverage to an area where their coverage is weak and another carrier has better coverage. Basically, there are  three major GSM providers here.  My wife has SIM cards for the 2 biggest providers in her cell phone.  If there were to be an emergency and the network of one provider wasn't available (rarely they are out of service or down for scheduled maintenance but that's usually a short length of time), having a Phone with Dual SIMS installed could be a lifesaver.  I used to carry 2 phones and that's cumbersome but now the Dual SIM phones are pretty slick.  

Thank you. I'm not sure which provider Virgin Mobile uses in the USA.  Here in Colombia, they use the Movistar/Telefonica network, which is #1 or #2 in the country and we have a Movistar/Telefonica tower (3G at the moment, maybe 4G later this year) about one block from our house.

I don't know which network(s) Virgin Mobile uses in the USA. Here is the URL for their Coverage Map:

When I checked, for the area we will be in, NW of WDW, next month, it looks like Virgin Mobile only has Voice Coverage there.  If that is correct and someone also needs Data coverage, that would ELIMINATE them from consideration for me.   We have Data available where we live, in this huge Rural subdivision. That is a major reason we bought new phones and signed up for the Virgin Mobile "Non Plans" that we have. If our ADSL should go down for an extended period, we can use our Cell Phones as WAPs and DD can continue studying.  And  I can pay for extra Data if she needs it. Hopefully, our ADSL will never go down for a long time where that's necessary, but if it does, we are better prepared now.

NOTE: There are GSM phones that can have two (2) SIMS installed in them. My wife's Motorola phone is more upscale and has that capability.  Mine is single SIM.  Not sure about DD's phone as I write this.  My wife has SIM cards for  2 different providers installed in her phone and she can make/receive calls on either carriers network.  That could be a big "plus" if one moves from an area where one provider has great coverage to an area where their coverage is weak and another carrier has better coverage. Basically, there are  three major GSM providers here.  My wife has SIM cards for the 2 biggest providers in her cell phone.  If there were to be an emergency and the network of one provider wasn't available (rarely they are out of service or down for scheduled maintenance but that's usually a short length of time), having a Phone with Dual SIMS installed could be a lifesaver.  I used to carry 2 phones and that's cumbersome but now the Dual SIM phones are pretty slick.  

Thanks again, Lanny!  I'm going to have my techy dh read this thread. 

Much to consider.  I like to save hundreds or a thousand $ a year!

Yes but please keep in mind that using prepaid or no contract phones with this method (SmartTalk, Tracphone) might not work if you live or travel in rural areas. They are ONLY using 3G towers. To use Verizons 4G towers they require that you go through them... we would not get coverage in our home without the 4G tower and we live 7 miles out of town...

Actually with our virgin mobile no contract phones that were not top of the line we have 3G and 4G and great coverage.

• Like 1

lanny,  where do you buy the unlocked phones?

Here in Colombia I think almost anywhere.  We bought ours in a huge store called "ALKOSTO"  I believe they do sell a few phones that are linked to carriers, but that most of the phones they sell are "Unlocked".

http://www.alkosto.com/

Until that, we had always purchased phones from a provider (there are 3 providers here: Movistar/Telefonica, COMCEL/Claro and Tigo).  For years, we had plans where we got "free" (subsidized) phones bundled in with 1 year service contracts.  Then in 2008, we switched to "Prepaid" phones. We bought them from the providers.  I believe for some years, all the phones sold here are "Unlocked", even the "Prepaid" phones we purchased from the Provider (in our case that was COMCEL/Claro).  

They are sold on eBay, but unless you know exactly which model you want to buy, etc., I think it is better to go into a store and check the phone out to see what the Display, UI (User Interface), etc. are like and whether or not you like them.

I don't know if you can walk into a WalMart or some other store in the USA and buy Unlocked phones.  

If they sell them,  a store like WalMart or BestBuy would be my choice.

Also, there are people here on WTM who have purchased Used or Refurbished phones on the Internet.  I can't remember the names of the web sites, but there are some reputable ones.  I checked one web site out and they were selling Samsung and iPhones at that time.  

I wanted my old phone number from COMCEL/Claro to be "Ported" to my new Virgin Mobile SIM card. That took about 2 1/2 days. I think it may only take a few minutes in the USA, but am not sure about that.  

If you buy an "Unlocked" GSM phone you are not tied to any provider. You can move from one to another.  Freedom...

don't know about buying outright. so we didn't buy the phone before?

You didn't buy it but you did pay for it. Most cell carriers offer lower monthly service charges for old phones or phones purchased outright. All those "free" or very cheap ($99 -249 OOP for a device that costs $500-749 outright) phones we used to get were paid for by the premium service charges we paid to the companies.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 5

Good Morning!  OK, I read the responses and it further confirms how "not" techy I am.   :lol:

We've always had a "monthly" service charge - right.  Now, when my dh's employer found out he didn't have one they must have thought he needed a phone (pre-smartphone).  It worked.  It performed the primary reason for having a phone and that was/is to "call".  Then he upgraded to a smartphone only b/c his flip ceased to work.  Now his employer would "contribute" to the plan: monthly service charge was lowered thanks to employer and "maybe" another little fee, but all together I think it was MAYBE 30%.  I could check with dh if anyone wants to know.  Then I got a phone and dd last May.

DH's employer still continues to pay for part of the monthly bill, every month!  This is an added benefit.

So, with Vz.  dh's and my smartphones were "free" (2-3 years ago).  We've been with Vz. for 15 years or so and they want to keep us as customers.  But, it was their special too, I think.   Maybe it was $10 or $25 but pretty much if not all free  - the ACTUAL PHYSICAL PHONE ITSELF. 

Our monthly bill with Vz. includes our 3 smartphones, unltd. talk/text and 3 gigs/data which more than enough for me (I'll explain how dh found a way to save on data usage) is around $125.   

I walked in to Vz. yesterday, Monday, and the rep said we're paying a lot less than most people.  Is this true? 

So, IF (we have no plans to do this now) if we all 3 "needed/wanted" new smartphones we'd be AUTOMATICALLY enrolled in their new plan of almost doubling that amount.  He said my monthly rate would jump by $28 but he could lower that (a great deal - lol) to $18.  Let's say he's wrong as they are many times and it ends up being $22 or so for one.  That would be $66 or so EXTRA per month.  So, I stand corrected. It's not double but to jump from approx. $125 to $190 - almost $200, is A BIG JUMP.

TAKE NOTE!

1 - I learned last year that there are "corporate" Vz. stores AND "authorized retail" stores.  You get your better deals (or used to at least before this new plan) through CORPORATE stores.

2 - Our dd was using too much data. Our ceiling is 3g and once or twice we hovered just under that!  Too close to worry about on a monthly basis.  My dh turned off something on her phone and we now barely use half of that on a regular month to month basis.   Maybe you all know that but if it's new to you - HTH!

Yes, my bill is twice yours, for basically two phones and one unused phone.  One has unlimited and the other two have two gigs.  I'm getting ripped off and it is time for a change. 

I just finished researching this an buying an unlocked S5 to use on with my Tracfone account.  We have mostly Verizon towers around here, and they are CDMA. 

I did this too a few months ago... but realized that Tracfone does not use the 4G towers so I still did not get coverage even though I was on the CDMA network. Make sure that 3G towers are enough for what you need.... If not Verizon will take you back with their "By Back" plan thing - It actually saved me money! hehe

• Like 1

You didn't buy it but you did pay for it. Most cell carriers offer lower monthly service charges for old phones or phones purchased outright. All those "free" or very cheap ($99 -249 OOP for a device that costs $500-749 outright) phones we used to get were paid for by the premium service charges we paid to the companies.

Lucy/Katie :)

See, this is what doesn't make sense to me.  OK, we'd "paid" for it - in essence that is buying a product.   Yes, of the monthly bill a portion (each month) went to paying for the phone.  At the end of the contract the monies accumulated to the actual purchase price of the phone.

But, the new plan is almost twice as much (at least a third).  If the former monthly amount accrued to pay for the phone then how much more for a plan that is the former price PLUS an additional third or so?!! 

I just don't get it.

• Like 1

Actually with our virgin mobile no contract phones that were not top of the line we have 3G and 4G and great coverage.

I was kinda excited for a second and had to research VM plans... this would be my dream contract! Unfortunately they have no 'voice coverage' when I look at their website. I know spirit does not work here at all (and they are part of them?) - their website seems to show the same coverage it did 12+ years ago. Am I missing something? I would love a phone company that is not Verizon but really - they are a monopoly here! lol

I dont know if I can link it but I am looking at the VM "coveragemap" webpage. I KNOW we have a 4G tower 7 miles from here - everyone was soooo happy to have it go up but yet their coverage map is not showing our area as covered.

ETA: I zoomed far in on their map and I see they have coverage in town... were the interstate is, which I know Sprint does have coverage there but the second you need to go to the neighboring town, church or where ever you would be out of luck.. no cover at all. How come they do not use ALL verizon towers - looks like it is just some?

Edited by mamaofgirls
  • Like 1

See, this is what doesn't make sense to me.  OK, we'd "paid" for it - in essence that is buying a product.   Yes, of the monthly bill a portion (each month) went to paying for the phone.  At the end of the contract the monies accumulated to the actual purchase price of the phone.

But, the new plan is almost twice as much (at least a third).  If the former monthly amount accrued to pay for the phone then how much more for a plan that is the former price PLUS an additional third or so?!! 

I just don't get it.

Is your plan twice as much because you added your daughters line? She has a smart phone right? If so, that sounds right (or at least 1/3 more). Their website says it is $20 for each line PLUS the plan for it, so if that was the smallest plan it would be $30 and if you are paying for the phone over a year or two that would be more... I am guessing you are paying $50-65 more a month just for her to have a phone. Cell phone lines are crazy expensive! I will not get a smart phone because of the extra monthly cost but my husband has one. We pay about $100 a month for both our lines.

Edited by mamaofgirls
  • Like 3

I just don't get it.

What's the part that is a payment on the phone and what is the part that is for the service?  

If you had cancelled mid contract, Verizon would have charged you the full remaining balance on the phone.  On top of the early termination fees.  You didn't own it until the contract lapsed.   

Verizon is one of the most expensive options.  You may want to shop around a bit.  

• Like 3

For those who, like me, need Verizon if you want to have service, check out Page Plus Cellular. We have been using them since Verizon did away with unlimited data plans. They use Verizon towers including 4G. When we switched, we used our existing Verizon phones and the only difference I can tell in our service is that we pay less than half what we used to every month.

• Like 2

oh my word! I had no idea.  but, don't the manufacturers make phones with specs according to a carrier?  so, att asks for an iPhone and they get a model which is different than what vz. gets.   not all phones/models are created equal are they?  maybe they are.

so Samsung gal s7 just came out. is it the same with att as it is with vz, etc?

If some large carrier buys hundreds or thousands of a particular model phone from a manufacturer, the manufacture will, if it is specified in the Purchase Order, Lock the phone to that carrier, Brand it with  customized Software/Firmware for that carrier, package in special boxes, etc., as requested.  

So, depending upon the carrier, you might receive an Unlocked phone, a phone with  stock Software/Firmware, or one that is Locked and/or has Branded Software/Firmware.

Better not to buy the phone from a carrier, if possible, to avoid that, and buy a phone that was shipped from the factory Unlocked AND with stock Software/Firmware AND with a factory warranty.

I just checked the Coverage Map for Virgin Mobile in the USA, *again*, for the city we will be staying in, in Lake County, FL next month.  I was very dumb, when I used their coverage map before!   By default, it has the box for "Voice Coverage" checked.   Dumb me, I thought they only had "Voice Coverage" available there, which seemed very strange!   If I check the box for "Enhanced LTE" they have that coverage there. If I check the box for "4G LTE" they have that coverage there and if I check the box for "Data Coverage" they have that coverage there.   I don't know which carrier(s) Virgin Mobile uses in the USA, but at least in that location in Central FL, they seem to have great coverage, as they do here in Colombia.  

I was kinda excited for a second and had to research VM plans... this would be my dream contract! Unfortunately they have no 'voice coverage' when I look at their website. I know spirit does not work here at all (and they are part of them?) - their website seems to show the same coverage it did 12+ years ago. Am I missing something? I would love a phone company that is not Verizon but really - they are a monopoly here! lol

I dont know if I can link it but I am looking at the VM "coveragemap" webpage. I KNOW we have a 4G tower 7 miles from here - everyone was soooo happy to have it go up but yet their coverage map is not showing our area as covered.

ETA: I zoomed far in on their map and I see they have coverage in town... were the interstate is, which I know Sprint does have coverage there but the second you need to go to the neighboring town, church or where ever you would be out of luck.. no cover at all. How come they do not use ALL verizon towers - looks like it is just some?

As I just posted, a few minutes ago, I just discovered   :hurray:  (I'm an early morning person)   that the Virgin Mobile Coverage Map for the USA requires that one check the different boxes, one at a time, to see what coverage they actually offer.  It seemed strange that where we will be staying in Central FL that they would only have Voice Coverage available. They check the box for "Voice Coverage" by default. When I checked the other boxes, one at a time, they had all of those services available, in the town we will be staying in, not just "Voice Coverage"

7 miles sounds like a very *long* way for me.  The next time I speak with the guy who is an Electronic Engineer for one of the major providers here,  I will ask him, if it is realistic to expect coverage from a tower so far away from the user with the cell phone. My gut feeling is no.   

• Like 1

Virgin mobile uses Sprint towers around here, I believe that is nationwide.

Is Sprint a CDMA or GSM provider?   Here in Colombia, all coverage is now GSM. Virgin Mobile in Colombia runs on the Movistar/Telefonica GSM network, which is the #1 or #2 network in size and in quality.  

It could be that in the USA that Virgin Mobile USA would run on a CDMA network, but I think that would be extremely confusing to their Electronic Engineers.  

Note: I just looked at the VirginMobileUSA web site for a minute, to see which phones they list. For example, they show the Motorola Moto G. My wife and I have those phones and ours are GSM phones.  Possibly Motorola also makes the Moto G for CDMA, but I don't know...

I'm embarrassed to say what our bill is. We've just added a 5th phone. We all have Apple phones and we have Sprint. We sign a new 2-year contract when we get a new phone. Only the last time dd went in to upgrade, they said they changed the plan so that you actually lease the phone. I should probably shop around but we still have 4 contracts in place with them and I don't know the penalties for breaking the contract. We've always gotten a discount though because of DH's employer so we though we were paying a good price. I don't believe that anymore. We've been with Sprint for 20 years and have never had a complaint so I'm not excited about trying someone new but I can't believe what we pay is typical except for people who don't do their research.

Sheryl wrote:

I walked in to Vz. yesterday, Monday, and the rep said we're paying a lot less than most people.  Is this true?

Ouch.  I don't have any contract, just prepaid, but I rarely ever use the phone.  I see commercials for various plans and wonder how in heck anyone affords that for a family. 

I can't ever remember to charge my phone so it mostly just sits in a drawer.  At this point I'm not even sure if it works.  I can't figure out how to turn it on.  I just keep pressing buttons and sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't.  I don't think it's me, but the phone.  But who knows...

I like Vz.  We've been with them for a long time!  Just a wish - but, I was hoping with millions of customers they may be more reasonable with their approach.

Kathie, Under our current (former in the future) plan, we own our phone after 2 years.  What's the difference with the current plan?  The customer still pays for/buys it and it's theirs after 2 years.  Isn't that the same?  And, it costs a lot more to do the same thing?  Huh?  Why exactly?

• Like 1

I like Vz.  We've been with them for a long time!  Just a wish - but, I was hoping with millions of customers they may be more reasonable with their approach.

Kathie, Under our current (former in the future) plan, we own our phone after 2 years.  What's the difference with the current plan?  The customer still pays for/buys it and it's theirs after 2 years.  Isn't that the same?  And, it costs a lot more to do the same thing?  Huh?  Why exactly?

I see commercials for other providers where they will pay for people to switch. Some up to 600 plus dollars.  They have got to be charging a lot to make up for that!  Crazy...

I did this too a few months ago... but realized that Tracfone does not use the 4G towers so I still did not get coverage even though I was on the CDMA network. Make sure that 3G towers are enough for what you need.... If not Verizon will take you back with their "By Back" plan thing - It actually saved me money! hehe

I have never used Verizon. I live in a very rural area and would be surprised if most of the towers around here were upgraded to 4G. I only switched my account from a ZTE to the newer Samsung handset.

Maybe it depends where you live? We live east coast and have had good coverage in VA, MD, DC, PA, etc. Tracphone is supposed to have very good coverage last I checked as well per Consumer Reports which you might want to check.

As I just posted, a few minutes ago, I just discovered   :hurray:  (I'm an early morning person)   that the Virgin Mobile Coverage Map for the USA requires that one check the different boxes, one at a time, to see what coverage they actually offer.  It seemed strange that where we will be staying in Central FL that they would only have Voice Coverage available. They check the box for "Voice Coverage" by default. When I checked the other boxes, one at a time, they had all of those services available, in the town we will be staying in, not just "Voice Coverage"

7 miles sounds like a very *long* way for me.  The next time I speak with the guy who is an Electronic Engineer for one of the major providers here,  I will ask him, if it is realistic to expect coverage from a tower so far away from the user with the cell phone. My gut feeling is no.   

7 miles is long?!! hehe! I was thinking we lived CLOSE to town.... our last home was over 15 miles to a small town store... my husband drives over 30 miles to work one way and church is the same distance but different direction. lol. I guess Verizon really is our only option here if you want true coverage - know one wants to hit a deer at night without cell coverage (though we could just walk to the next house like we did 15 years ago. hehe!). We are in Northern Wisconsin though... Verizon knows they own every.single.one. of us and will charge/bill you whatever they want. hehe

• Like 1

I have never used Verizon. I live in a very rural area and would be surprised if most of the towers around here were upgraded to 4G. I only switched my account from a ZTE to the newer Samsung handset.

We only have one 4G tower - right by the Interstate. That is the one tower that gave me ONE bar of coverage at home :D Yay!!! So much better then standing in my driveway with my hand in the air to send a text... haha. In my other post I noticed that Sprint/VM have coverage right at the 4G tower but if you go anywhere else there is nothing... which stinks when you are rural because the risk of hitting a deer, cow or buggy without a cell phone is scary :P hehe! If someone knows of a good provider in Northern Wisconsin I would be open - but verizon owns us all.

Some friends have US Cellular but their phone never works at my home... and I travel too much through the back roads with young children to worry about not having coverage! What is the cell phone company you use?

Is Sprint a CDMA or GSM provider?   Here in Colombia, all coverage is now GSM. Virgin Mobile in Colombia runs on the Movistar/Telefonica GSM network, which is the #1 or #2 network in size and in quality.  

I think Sprint uses CDMA. I know Verizon does. It's actually one of the reasons we switched from them long ago. That and the cost and the coverage was awful in my city. Coverage is much better now, but no better than AT&T, which is what we have.

Most other major carriers use GSM.

Edited by Lady Florida

I'm embarrassed to say what our bill is. We've just added a 5th phone. We all have Apple phones and we have Sprint. We sign a new 2-year contract when we get a new phone. Only the last time dd went in to upgrade, they said they changed the plan so that you actually lease the phone. I should probably shop around but we still have 4 contracts in place with them and I don't know the penalties for breaking the contract. We've always gotten a discount though because of DH's employer so we though we were paying a good price. I don't believe that anymore. We've been with Sprint for 20 years and have never had a complaint so I'm not excited about trying someone new but I can't believe what we pay is typical except for people who don't do their research.

Sheryl wrote:

I am not under contract. I have an AT&T GoPhone. With tax, I pay $43 and change for 2 gig of data and unlimited text and talk in the US.  That would be ~$215 for 5 phones. No shared data or anything.

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate your detail in your replies.  There is so very much to consider.

Mamaofgirls - dh is originally from WI and we lived there the first 5 years of our marriage.  Once we drive counterclockwise around the lake, Lake Michigan, and it was so beautiful.  (We ended up moving to MI and to where we call home for over 25 years, here in NC)  We enjoyed going to Mackinac Island and also crossing the bridge in to MI/UP and back down through WI.  It was just so remote and pretty!   Houses/neighbors showed great distance between them.  It was like a prairie.  In fact, the Ingalls moved from northern WI at one time.  

Is it built up where you are or still pretty "unsettled"!  :)  

• Like 1

I think Virgin uses the Sprint network.  One dd and I use Virgin and have decent coverage.  My other dd lives out in the boonies and they have Verizon.  I dread having to deal with cell phones and providers.  I don't understand any of it and don't want to.  I just want my phone to work.