Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW11: Happy St. Patrick's Week

Robin M

I finished Love in the Time of Cholera last night and have mixed feelings about it. I loved the writing but I think the book should have been called Obsession in the Time of Cholera. I'm not a fan of obsession = love. It's why I didn't jump on the Snape love train. Anyway, I'm probably going to end up giving it four stars for the writing, but I don't want to write a review on Goodreads until after my book club meets. Everyone in the club is Goodreads friends with everyone else, so I don't want to sway those who haven't read it, or haven't finished it.

I'm kind of floundering now. It's not that I don't have anything to read, just that nothing is grabbing me. I hope something appeals to me soon. We're going to St. Augustine for a few days next week, and I'll need something enjoyable to read during our down time.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 10

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About Dr. Seuss:  When my son was in the neonatal intensive care unit, someone there recommended reading Dr. Seuss or anything with repetitive rhymes to my son.  Premies, I was told, need their energy to grow not fuss and--for some--repetitive rhyme is soothing. 

Of course, in our house there was a twist.  When my son was a few months old, I was hired by a text book company to look for errors in the proof of a math text. I was paid per error no matter the type--spelling, punctuation or math.  Naturally I read part of the draft aloud to my son.  Logarithms put him to sleep without fail.  I remembered that when we were homeschooling Algebra II.

Logarithms put me to sleep without fail too. 

Went to the library today and told myself no books until I've finished what I'm reading. I did however allow myself to check out a dessert cookbook. That doesn't count. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 8

Spending my 17 yo son's spring break trawling colleges across the land... 

Chris and soror, I hope you're all better by now.

Jane, your SSI visit sounds divine.  We rented a cottage there a couple of years ago and I do believe that dogs-can-run-loose beach was the happiest my crazy dog has ever been...

I only have the Kindle with me, so sadly, no green covers.  I did order a Guiness last night in a small town in Ohio that Jane and Jenn know well, solemnly informing the waitress that I don't even *like* Guiness; I'm just taking one for the team here.... and without batting an eye she replied, so you'll be having the *small*, then? which in the East would definitely be Ironic but my sense (?) was that in her case it really was just Helpful...   :lol:   ... and Butter.  Don't tell the bit about the snakes isn't true.  Just, don't.

re: Richard Scarry - my brother is 5 years younger than me, and when he was little, and obsessed, my mother used to pay me a quarter if I read one of the big honking ones all the way through to him, which as y'all know took like TWO HOURS.  Shoot me in the head, which in hindsight was obviously her take as well.  When they entered our home as gifts they were quickly disappeared.  Life is short, and my own eldest would definitely NOT be hoodwinked by a quarter.

I have been reading Aesop's Fables with my son who has a whole host of learning disabilities, and it has been such a great and sneaky way to work on reading comprehension. He generally is so reluctant to talk about what we are reading, even if done conversationally, but he is so eager to tell me what he thinks a good moral for each fable should be. His morals are usually hilarious and often way better than Aesop's. I am often terrified about this child's future, but this gives me hope. 

It's fascinating to see this, on this trip with my son, who also has learning disabilities and about whom I once was often existentially terrified... but these days am only occasionally and run-of-the-mill-ordinary-teenage-stuff terrified, and in whom I am now so proud... and for whom Aesop was also one of his first real "hooks."  Keep the faith.  

• Like 10

My book group had a surprisingly lively discussion last night about The Boys in the Boat.  The food was delicious, too.  All in all, it was a good evening.

I've now finished the anthology Press Start to Play.

My favorite story remains 'Select Character' by Hugh Howey.  There were some good stories as well as one I didn't finish.  There was one that made me laugh which I read aloud to my husband, and there were several that were rather creepy with a Twilight Zone feel.  All dealt with some aspect of gaming.  Overall, I'd recommend the collection.

Regarding Ilona Andrews' Bayou Moon:

I didn't particularly like the first book in the Edge series so haven't read the 2nd.  Icky, huh?  hmm! 

The icky factor was because some of the characters were blends of man (or woman) and animals or plants.  They were not fluffy at all.  And most were evil or were being changed against their will.  That aspect of the book was repellent to me.  I did go on to read book three despite the icky factor.

I am afraid to admit it but here it goes..... my children have never liked Richard Scarry books. :leaving:

Count me in as another who never cared for Richard Scarry.  I intentionally did not introduce them to my daughter.  In asking now whether she was familiar with the author, I fully expected the answer to be no.  I was wrong.  It turns out that when she was teaching English to kindergartners in South Korea, she often played Richard Scarry's Busytown game with them.  See, I learned something today!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I read Middlemarch and gave up in the middle of the book (350+ pp) just before mid-March. I wasn't enjoying it and didn't want to waste three more weeks on it.

I've started this twice in the last few months and it sort of drags for me...I want to like it, but there are so many references that I have to keep checking in the back of the book because, well, they are asterisked and how can I not? But it makes for SLOW going!  LOL

• Like 7

I only have the Kindle with me, so sadly, no green covers.  I did order a Guiness last night in a small town in Ohio that Jane and Jenn know well, solemnly informing the waitress that I don't even *like* Guiness; I'm just taking one for the team here.... and without batting an eye she replied, so you'll be having the *small*, then? which in the East would definitely be Ironic but my sense (?) was that in her case it really was just Helpful...   :lol:   ... and Butter.  Don't tell the bit about the snakes isn't true.  Just, don't.

It's fascinating to see this, on this trip with my son, who also has learning disabilities and about whom I once was often existentially terrified... but these days am only occasionally and run-of-the-mill-ordinary-teenage-stuff terrified, and in whom I am now so proud... and for whom Aesop was also one of his first real "hooks."  Keep the faith.  

:001_wub:  Both the Guiness in a small, un-ironic, Ohio town and having a ds who once left you existentially terrified and now makes you so proud. Yep. We still worry about our boy whose challenges started me down the homeschooling trail, but by golly he grew into a lovely, well-employed and happy young man. And my head is only slightly damaged from all the years of  :banghead:

Hoping you and your ds had a great visit!

• Like 9

Spending my 17 yo son's spring break trawling colleges across the land... 

I only have the Kindle with me, so sadly, no green covers.  

Good luck on the college search.

My green cover book is on my e-ink Kindle too. I went online and looked what I'm currently reading to see if any have a green cover. So, even though one does I don't actually see it when I'm reading the book. :)

• Like 7

I am afraid to admit it but here it goes..... my children have never liked Richard Scarry books. :leaving:

They are all strong Mo Willems fans. We love the pigeon in this house. My favorite book of his is Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs. That book is very funny for grownups.  

I can understand not being into Scarry. I treasure the copies that my mom saved because they are old & familiar, one has a lovely inscription from my aunt who gave it to me. And one of my kids is in love with my old Scarry books. 

One of my Scarry books -- I've never looked at since childhood. It's in decent shape. The other -- it is all ragged and taped up, so I loved the quote Stacia mentioned. I remember my parents taping a lot of my old books.

Speaking of Mo Willems (our kids love him, too) -- not sure if this was already posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/arts/design/mo-willems-and-the-art-of-the-childrens-book.html

"If there’s a living creator of children’s books who stands a chance of occupying a cultural position akin to a Dr. Seuss or a Charles M. Schulz, it’s Mr. Willems. "

• Like 7

I haven't been here for weeks, or better said: I haven't been here since week 2. We moved house and I hardly got any reading done, and now I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and my brain has turned to mush. I've been binge watching Prison Break. I'm nearly done and need to get back in the reading mode. I need something a bit more simple, any suggestions???

Currently I'm reading:

• War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy (I hate this book with a passion, but I'm reading it with a friend, so I'll just have to keep on going. Note to Self: Never ever read with a friend again)
  • Utopia, by Thomas More
  • My Family and Other Animals, by Gerald Durrell
  • Birth of Britain, by Winston Churchill

Finished so far:

• The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Hamlet, by Shakespeare
  • Beatrix Potter, a Life in Nature, by Linda Lear
  • How to Read a Book, by Mortimer Adler
  • The Disappearing Spoon, by Sam Kean
  • The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury

Books I've given up on for now:

• The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas A Kempis
  • My Utmost for His Highest, by Oswald Chambers
  • Paradise Lost, by John Milton

Oh my, we love the Murdurous Maths books. We own them all!I'm not too sure how much they really picked up from the books, though. :p

• Like 10

I finished The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver, which was my green cover book for the week. I borrowed the e-book through our library and on the website, the edition had a green cover. I sort of just dove into that book without having any idea what it was about and so I wasn't quite prepared for it. Oh, well, I am still glad I read it.

One more book for this week -- I feel like I'm the last person to finally read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo -- also a library loan, after being on the waiting list for months. Finished it today and thought, "wonderful, but THAT is not happening!" but I still am glad I learned how to fold my clothes back when I first heard about it.

• Like 11

One more book for this week -- I feel like I'm the last person to finally read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo -- also a library loan, after being on the waiting list for months. Finished it today and thought, "wonderful, but THAT is not happening!" but I still am glad I learned how to fold my clothes back when I first heard about it.

I haven't read it yet. It's in my basket on Amazon, but I keep spending my book budget on other books...books that don't make me have to tidy up.

• Like 10

My husband and I are exhausted and want nothing more than a cabin by a lake where there is nothing to do but read, drink coffee and maybe spend a little quality time together.  But, in a few years when the kids are up and out, we'll have that... and we'll  miss the family vacations.  :-)  Right? 

1.  Basin and Range, John McPhee

2.  Austenland, Shannon Hale

3. The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry, Gabrielle Zevin

4. The Lady in the Van, Alan Bennett

5. In Suspect Terrain, John McPhee

6. Jamaica Inn, Daphne duMaurier

7. A Dangerous Mourning, Anne Perry

8. Girl in Hyacinth Blue, Susan Vreeland

9.  Defend and Betray, Anne Perry

10. Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt

11. The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

12. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad

13. A Test of Wills, Charles Todd

14. The Original Miss Honeyford, Marion Chesney

15.  David Copperfield, Charles Dickens

Dh and I feel the same way about family vacations with the kids, but we did get away the end of January by ourselves for the first time in 15 years and it was lovely having tea and reading and relaxing!

I have read the bolded this year as well!

This is an amazing story!  Thanks for sharing!

I think the pollen here is starting to go crazy so my sinuses are going nuts.

We're in the middle of Irish dance craziness, so I haven't had time to read. Super-fun but also super-long day on Saturday with the downtown parade & multiple dance appearances. Plus, throw in the time change & another dance appearance on Sunday & I mostly need a nap!!

A short clip of our dancers on Saturday during the parade:

http://vid930.photobucket.com/albums/ad146/Stacia-photos/IMG_0976.mp4

(My dd is the furthest on the left; the tall girl. Lol.)

I hear you about the tree pollen  :glare:   I swear the trees budded and the next day my nose/eyes/sinuses went bonkers!  And I loved the clip of your dd dancing.  Looks like so much fun!

I also started my next audio book - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I can't count it towards my number of books read because it's too familiar, but I can count it for bingo in the revisit an old friend square. 

Ok, I just have to say it...I don't get it when you all say this!   :laugh:   You read the book.  It's still a book.  No matter how many times you read it doesn't change the fact that it is still so many pages of text!!  Sorry I just had to say it!  If it's a book, and I've read it then I count it! 

For anyone interested, here is a link to a small photo album from our trip.

AND, I've been meaning to ask, who would like some post cards of the Harrison Longitude clocks from the Royal Observatory or of TinTin (which I bought at a cool graphic novel/comic book shop in Paris)?  

I'm late to the thread this week, and still have the Siesta Key postcards I bought sitting next to my chair, not sent, though that was February, but if there are any left up for grabs, I'd like one ;)  

• Like 9

I don't remember what I've posted and what I haven't...still on the crazy train here...so if I double up, please forgive me!

March is fairy tale month for Book Club.  Skye has plenty of fairy tale retellings in her bookshelf, but I ordered some from the library anyway.  I started a modern retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses but it wasn't any good, and I abandoned it!  Instead I pulled Beauty by Robin McKinley off  Skye's shelf.  It was my favorite read of the year so far!  So simple, but so sweet and beautiful.  Although I knew the ending, I felt some anxiety as to how it was all going to unfold.  I loved each facet of how McKinley chose to tell the tale.  Truly worth reading!

My cousin brought me The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin.  She liked it.  My friend really liked it.  So I was sorry to find out that I found it just ok.  I would have given it up, actually, if my cousin hadn't made a point of saying that I never read anything she suggests.  There were some parts of it I enjoyed like the parts about Maya and her back story.  I also enjoyed Amy's character.  But I didn't like the end nor did I like the language in the book.  I did like the book theme throughout and found some great quotes.

Since I still had time before book club, I decided to try and finish The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (another fairy tale).  This book is one of Skye's favorite books ... ever... as she really identifies with Ani/Isi.  After two starts, the third try was the charm.  I began where I left off on the 2nd attempt.  I found the beginning of the book so sad and depressing.  Eventually, it turned around, and I was able to say that I actually really enjoyed the book.   I always like a sweet ending. This is a great book  for girls. 

Today Skye brought home a vintage copy of a Bobbsey Twins book that I didn't own (I collect them).  I decided to read it before I put it on my shelf since it's a new to me story.  It shouldn't take me too long.

And my list for the year since I haven't posted in a while...

*01.  Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (classic - the Arctic, Switzerland, Germany, England, Scotland - 18th century)

*02.  Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan (children's book - historical fiction - Norway - 20th century)

*03.  Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (BaW rec - Nigeria - 19th century)

*04.  The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (classic - reread - England -  18th century)

*05.  Harry Potter  and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (fantasy - reread - England)

*06.  Lost Empire by Clive Cussler (Zanzibar, Tanzania, USA, Madagascar, Indonesia - 21st century)

*07.  The Original Miss Honeyford by M.C. Beaton (BaW rec - England - 19th century)

*08.  Bab: A Sub-Deb by Mary Roberts Rineheart (BaW rec - dusty - USA - 20th century)

*09.  A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (classic - BaW Feb. author - Italy and England - 20th century)

*10.  Beauty by Robin McKinley (fairy tale)

*11.  The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry Gabrielle Zevin (USA - 21st century)

*12.  The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (fairy tale)

• Like 10

Jenn, if you have any postcards left, I'd like one too. But, if you're all out, I understand that too!

Wow, I'm surprised at how many don't care for Richard Scarry. I guess his books are special to me because it's the first book I remember getting as a gift. I was 2.5 years old & a friend of my parents was coming over to have Christmas dinner w/ us. We lived in an apartment at the time & I remember being on the balcony & seeing him arrive in the parking lot carrying a package wrapped in green foil -- and I just knew it was a present for me. It was & it was a Richard Scarry book. After dinner, the friend read it to me & I've been in love with Richard Scarry books ever since. I still have all of mine, plus all the ones we collected over the years when my own kids were young. (Well, except for one or two of the more modern stories that came out at some point that seemed somehow different, so we donated those after the kids outgrew them.)

My goal is to finish Bossypants this weekend. Lol. I feel like my couple of books have been hanging in limbo for weeks because of our crazy schedules.

• Like 10

Wow, I'm surprised at how many don't care for Richard Scarry. I guess his books are special to me because it's the first book I remember getting as a gift. I was 2.5 years old & a friend of my parents was coming over to have Christmas dinner w/ us. We lived in an apartment at the time & I remember being on the balcony & seeing him arrive in the parking lot carrying a package wrapped in green foil -- and I just knew it was a present for me. It was & it was a Richard Scarry book. After dinner, the friend read it to me & I've been in love with Richard Scarry books ever since. 

My brother, sister, and I loved Richard Scarry.  We used to love finding Gold Bug!  LOL  I tried to get our youngest into them when he first started reading and he declared them lame.  :P

• Like 5

Last night I read the first volume of 'Love Letters of Great Men.' Some were nice, but I can tell it's not my destiny to date a great novelist or poet. One letter from one of them and I'd run screaming! :lol:

Don't read this looking for fairy tales. On one page we have a letter from Victor Hugo to his wife and on the next, a letter to his mistress.  :laugh:  It beats me how he got one woman let alone two.  :lol:

• Like 12

I lost track last week with the flu or something going around.  Last week I read "Singing School" by Robert Pinsky - suggested by Julie Bogart in a Periscope.  My 9yo read "Monday's Troll" by Jack Prelutsky - love his books.  This week I read - for the color green - "Irish Fairy & Folk Tales" by W. B. Yeats and my 9yo read "Jamie O'Rourke and the Pooka" by Tomie dePaola - we love his Irish tales.

:001_smile:

• Like 9

re challenging and rewarding relationships with challenging and rewarding sons...

:001_wub:  Both the Guiness in a small, un-ironic, Ohio town and having a ds who once left you existentially terrified and now makes you so proud. Yep. We still worry about our boy whose challenges started me down the homeschooling trail, but by golly he grew into a lovely, well-employed and happy young man. And my head is only slightly damaged from all the years of  :banghead:

Hoping you and your ds had a great visit!

:lol: on the bolded.  Yes, exactly.  Though even that part I don't regret, as it too has forged how we relate to one another...

Good luck on the college search.

Thank you.  He's interested in architecture, which is putting us into a world in which neither me nor my husband know ANYTHING about.  He's approaching the whole thing with a very balanced attitude, though.

re vacations without kids...

Dh and I feel the same way about family vacations with the kids, but we did get away the end of January by ourselves for the first time in 15 years and it was lovely having tea and reading and relaxing!

Us too -- I really like doing things with the kids, and I do feel like we're running out of time; the scheduling of getting everyone at the same time is already difficult -- but we're coming up on our 25th anniversary and we have decided we do want to mark it ALONE, to the shock and dismay of my eldest, who recently chirped, so, what are we doing for the big anniversary??  to which I answered, oh honey, we decided to leave you in charge of the dog...  :lol:

• Like 11

I finished The Better Angels of Our Nature, admitting that I skimmed through parts that were graph and statistic heavy. Also, many parts talked about psychology topics and studies that I had read about before.

I'm currently reading Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett and Superstition in all Ages by Jean Meslier, on gutenberg.

• Like 9

I don't remember what I've posted and what I haven't...still on the crazy train here...so if I double up, please forgive me!

I pulled Beauty by Robin McKinley off  Skye's shelf.  It was my favorite read of the year so far!  So simple, but so sweet and beautiful.  Although I knew the ending, I felt some anxiety as to how it was all going to unfold.  I loved each facet of how McKinley chose to tell the tale.  Truly worth reading!

Since I still had time before book club, I decided to try and finish The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (another fairy tale).  This book is one of Skye's favorite books ... ever... as she really identifies with Ani/Isi.  After two starts, the third try was the charm.  I began where I left off on the 2nd attempt.  I found the beginning of the book so sad and depressing.  Eventually, it turned around, and I was able to say that I actually really enjoyed the book.   I always like a sweet ending. This is a great book  for girls. 

I absolutely love these two books and the authors.  I read these awhile ago.  I can't wait to read their books again.  :)

• Like 7

I'm heading out of town tomorrow to spend two and a half weeks with my mother; she is still recuperating from a fall in January in which she broke a bone in her arm.  My much appreciated sister (with whom my mother has been staying) will be taking a couple of trips with her husband.  I'm not sure whether my mother has more reservations about my stay or whether I do!  I have no idea how much internet access I'll have during the trip, so you may well be hearing less from me (or not).

A currently free Kindle book that is described as an Aztec fantasy ~ 

The Bone Flower Throne (The Bone Flower Trilogy Book 1) by TL Morganfield

"Gods, Blood, Magic

A darkness has taken control of Culhuacan, one of the Toltec’s most powerful kingdoms. The bloodthirsty sorcerer god Smoking Mirror has sent her patron god—the benevolent Feathered Serpent–into exile, but the Feathered Serpent is determined not only to regain his sacred city, but also to end human sacrifice all together.

Princess Quetzalpetlatl barely escaped Culhuacan with her life, but when the Feathered Serpent tasks her with helping his mortal son Topiltzin fulfill his divine mandate, she eagerly embraces her destiny. Finally she can avenge her father’s murder at the hands of the Smoking Mirror’s high priest, and return home.

Yet the price for involving herself in a war among the gods is high, paid in blood and loss. But for Topiltzin—who’s more than just a brother to her—she’s willing to do anything. Even sacrifice her own heart."

and another currently free Kindle book described as a frontier fantasy; I believe I posted this once before ~ 

New World: a Frontier Fantasy Novel by Steven W. White

"Across the sea lies a newly discovered continent, a world whose forests and beasts are unknown to the recorded memory of elves, dwarves, or men.

In this land called Mira, the brutal sacking of a young colony links the fates of two opposite characters: a twelve-year-old printer's son named Simon Jones and his long-lost uncle Tiberius Bogg, one of Mira's legendary mountain men.

Simon is small, but smart; scared but determined. Bogg, with his raccoon-skin cap and smart-talking grammar abuse, is fast as a splintercat and stealthy as a hidebehind. Together, they turn the tables and pursue their attackers (a cruel knight and his soldiers from the old country) through a wilderness full of extraordinary creatures – jackelopes and thunderbirds, fur-bearing trout and four-legged hills – all culled from American tall tales, Indian legends, and backwoods folklore."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Have a good trip, Kareni. Hope your mom is recuperating well!

I finished Bossypants! It was light & laugh-out-loud funny in parts. I could definitely tell Fey started her career as a writer as her writing skill shines through in this. Fun & recommended.

• Like 8

I finished The Schoolmaster by Roger Ascham. It was written in the 1500's. Roger Ascham was a professor at St Johns Colleges, Cambridge. He taught Greek and was the Chief Orator in Latin writing all of the letters the school sent out in Latin. Once again as in Ratio Studiorum I am really understanding what "Latin Centered Education" means. I think this book has finally solidified my desire to teach latin to my kids with the goal of reading documents in their original language. This author gave quite a few tips on different authors to read in both Greek and Latin based on what your goals are in teaching them. I have no experience with Latin so I will have to just go by what our curriculum has planned for us but at least I have somewhat of an idea what these different authors are known for (orations, poetry, prose). I am not sure what I will read next. I am thinking I will read a fun easy book to give my brain a break lol. It's funny I felt like I had a handle on my education philosophy and what my goals were and the more I read and expand my education the more I realize I really didn't understand my education philosophy at all. There are so many opposing views and different ideas. It's hard to know which one is right.

Btw, does anyone else find that the more you read the longer your reading list gets? I have 3 books I'm in the middle of, 5 books on hold at the library and an ever growing list on amazon. This thread has definitely rekindled my love for reading.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal
  • Like 9