Menu

Trail running?

Rachel

Does anyone run trail races? I'm thinking about signing up for my first, a 4 miler. I love hiking and I love running. I've done a handful of road races and while I enjoy them I want to try something different.

I ran a half marathon in October and a 5 mile road race Jan 1, but my running has been fairly inconsistent since for various reasons. A 4 mile race on flat ground wouldn't be a problem right now as long as I wasn't concerned about finish time (which I rarely am). I'm familiar with the trails where the 4 miler will be held, it won't be an easy course but I think a good one for a first trail race. The race is in 3 weeks, I can get over there a couple times at most. There is also a grass path I can run on but until then I mostly just have paved trails at my disposal because I have to rely on the Y for childcare during my runs.

What do I need to know? I've googled for tips but most are geared toward ultra races and I don't have any interest in those.

I love trail running!  I've only done one trail race, though, so my experienced with racing on trails (and I use "racing" with regards to me to mean only "paying to run with other people") is based on a very small sample size.  My son and I ran a trail 5K on his twelfth birthday.  It was pouring rain the morning of the race, and we nearly stayed home, but at the last minute, we sucked it up and ventured forth.  Then we spent the rest of the day sitting around and telling ourselves how glad we were that we'd done it.  Most of the registered runners stayed home, so the race was small and muddy and sloppy, and nearly everyone who did show was hard core except for me and a couple of other mom types.  He finished third overall--yea him!  I finished with blood pouring down my shins and arms and with serious scratches from ankles to chest because I took my eyes off of the trail for one stinkin' second and took a major trail dive.  So my big tip is:  keep your eyes on the ground!  Also, pick your feet up.  Since then, I've run on trails a lot more, and I've realized how much more work it is for my thighs (picking up my feet and all--apparently I'm a shuffler on flat ground) and how much stronger my ankles are from running trails.  There have been two recent instances in which I've stepped on sticks or rocks in the dark, on sidewalks, that I'm sure that I would have done a number on my ankle a year ago.  Now, I can just walk it off and finish the run.

So that's my valuable advice:  watch where you're going.  

• Like 3

You might look at trail running shoes.  They have a stiffish layer between the insole and the base, to protect you from feeling the rocks and twigs in the trail so much, and they have radical gripping soles.  They have gotten so good that they are the shoe of choice for people hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, rather than hiking boots!

• Like 1

You might look at trail running shoes. They have a stiffish layer between the insole and the base, to protect you from feeling the rocks and twigs in the trail so much, and they have radical gripping soles. They have gotten so good that they are the shoe of choice for people hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, rather than hiking boots!

I do have trail runners, I mostly hike in them. It's just about time to replace them though.
  • Like 1

Your view of racing is much like mine. I'll never win and probably won't ever place in my age group unless I'm able to keep running until I'm really old. 😆. I do love to camaraderie of running the same race with other people though.

I hope my first trail race involved much less blood!

I love trail running! I've only done one trail race, though, so my experienced with racing on trails (and I use "racing" with regards to me to mean only "paying to run with other people") is based on a very small sample size. My son and I ran a trail 5K on his twelfth birthday. It was pouring rain the morning of the race, and we nearly stayed home, but at the last minute, we sucked it up and ventured forth. Then we spent the rest of the day sitting around and telling ourselves how glad we were that we'd done it. Most of the registered runners stayed home, so the race was small and muddy and sloppy, and nearly everyone who did show was hard core except for me and a couple of other mom types. He finished third overall--yea him! I finished with blood pouring down my shins and arms and with serious scratches from ankles to chest because I took my eyes off of the trail for one stinkin' second and took a major trail dive. So my big tip is: keep your eyes on the ground! Also, pick your feet up. Since then, I've run on trails a lot more, and I've realized how much more work it is for my thighs (picking up my feet and all--apparently I'm a shuffler on flat ground) and how much stronger my ankles are from running trails. There have been two recent instances in which I've stepped on sticks or rocks in the dark, on sidewalks, that I'm sure that I would have done a number on my ankle a year ago. Now, I can just walk it off and finish the run.

So that's my valuable advice: watch where you're going.

• Like 1

I race like plansrme. I'm paying to run with other people, not to actually race... lol! I ran my first trail race last year, and I'm gearing up for my second one next month. The first thing I noticed was how much slower I am on trails, and I'm already slow! You really have to watch where you're running, and if there's a lot of mud, you may not even be running. You can't compare your road race PR to a trail race PR. If you might have some low-hanging branches, a ball cap is nice. Small twigs will hit the bill and not my head. It wasn't a problem for me in the race but when I've trail ran on my own. Take a plastic bag and/or a towel to sit on for the ride home. My race involved mud obstacles, and I would have ruined my car seats if I hadn't had a towel. And not to scare you, but I fell during my first race, too. I had scrapes and bruises, but it was so much fun I'm doing it again this year!

• Like 3

I registered!

Last night I ran a local cross country course and this morning I went and ran the trail. Currently I run about 10-10:20 min miles on the treadmill and just under 11 outside. I knew I'd be slower, but I was expecting to be in the 12-13 min/mile range. My watched beeped after my first mile and I was at 20 something! My quickest mile was 19. I had a lot of fun though, saw lots of deer tracks, heard a lot of birds. I only lost the trail once and it was only because they rerouted a section and the old trail markings were still visible.

I also figured I would have to walk up and down the steeper hills, I forgot the whole trail is either uphill or downhill. There are very few flat stretches. It rained there this morning so parts of the trail were pretty sloppy but I kept my socks dry until the last 1/4 mile. Hopefully I can make it over there again next weekend so I can get in another trail run before the race. I won't win anything, but I have a feeling this will be a pretty fun race.

• Like 9

I love trail running! You will definitely be slower due to rocks, potholes, and other hazards on the trail. Expect to walk up excessively muddy, rocky, or hilly trails. But, after all of that - nothing beats a good run in the woods!

I've been running since high school, today was my second favorite run. My first was in Seattle, it's the only time I've ever stared at mountains while running. So pretty!
  • Like 1

I'm doing my first race ever as a trail run. I've been trying to get out to the trail 1x a week to run but the place has so many different trails I'm not even sure if I'm on the right one. I never was interested in races really until I saw the sign for trail running, of course at the time I didn't think about how much harder it would be, I was just thinking it would be a lot more enjoyable to me as I like going through the woods anyway. I'm crazy nervous about how narrow it will be and loosing my momentum with people going past me, anyway, we'll see if I enjoy the actual race or not, you never know until you try. *eta I have some Merrell trail runners which I like pretty well, Merrell's work very well for me I wear Vapor Gloves for my every day shoe but they don't offer enough protection for the trail.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I love running on trails. It's easier on the lower body, as the surface is softer. However, if there are a lot of rocks and roots on the trail, it can be very hard on the neck because you have to constantly look down at your footing. I can't handle trail running as often as I'd like because of this. It's so easy to twist an ankle. Also, every puddle is a potential injury spot because you don't know what the surface is like at the bottom. The older I get, the more I have to run on wider graded/flat graveled trails in the woods. These are the best for being in the woods but not having to watch every single step. 

Enjoy your new adventure!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I'm so excited----!!!!! I just did my first 5k+, I ran 3.4 miles on Ozark Trail- not breaking any records at 42 minutes but I had to jump over half a dozen logs, got my feet soaked 4x and had to detour around a fallen tree 2x. Towards the end my lungs started burning but I kept going- 13 days until race day! 

I ran this time in my new Vapor Gloves, sans socks. I noticed when my new ones came in they were a lot thicker in the soles, not sure if it is a redesign or they are just new but I thought it was worth a shot to see if they were thick enough to protect my feet and they were. This is great as I'd always done my running before in them. I've been reading in Born to Run which was a good motivator.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

That is awesome! The Ozarks are so pretty. Make sure to tell us how your race goes, it sounds like yours is the 26th too.

I'm so excited----!!!!! I just did my first 5k+, I ran 3.4 miles on Ozark Trail- not breaking any records at 42 minutes but I had to jump over half a dozen logs, got my feet soaked 4x and had to detour around a fallen tree 2x. Towards the end my lungs started burning but I kept going- 13 days until race day!

I ran this time in my new Vapor Gloves, sans socks. I noticed when my new ones came in they were a lot thicker in the soles, not sure if it is a redesign or they are just new but I thought it was worth a shot to see if they were thick enough to protect my feet and they were. This is great as I'd always done my running before in them. I've been reading in Born to Run which was a good motivator.

• Like 1

That is awesome! The Ozarks are so pretty. Make sure to tell us how your race goes, it sounds like yours is the 26th too.

Yes, my race is on the 26th not on the Ozarks but I hit the Ozark trail from my front door so it is easy for practice. We actually went biking at the trail today and it is crazy muddy, not sure how that will impact the running, I had to slow down on the Ozark not to slip on wet leaves but it is a different kind of slow running in mud I'm sure. My fear for race day is getting totally gassed because I can't keep my pace with other runners being around- when I get in the groove the running feels pretty good- when I don't it feels kind of wretched and the trail is rather narrow- it is much easier when I'm by myself b/c I can concentrate so much better.

• Like 1

I hit the trail last night with friends and tried to do the 5k race route- aiming to just run 2 mi of it. BUT it is not so easily marked and we did not end up following the route(so frustrating) anyway, I did run 2 mi and finished walking out 5k. Decent run- it is feeling easier- I've been reading up on running "barefoot" and paid attention to my stride and it isn't quite right- I tried doing it right yesterday and my calf muscles were screaming(thankfully they are better this am after doubling my magnesium and some sleep). So, now I'm pondering if I should just do the race in my reg trail runners or try again Sun to adjust my stride- I'm thinking the race is too close to get it quite right so I should try to see if I can comfortably do the 5k in my trail runners Sun- I prefer the feel of running in my Vapor Gloves- even doing it wrong but I'm paranoid about injuring myself.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my race :) I ran the whole thing and finished in 38:08, Ds finished in 37:51. Not bad for our first, especially on a trail. I was really feeling rough this morning- my bp and pulse have been tanking due to my thyroid the last few days and I didn't hardly sleep last night because of the nerves but the adrenaline powered me through. I'm considering another run in three weeks but it is on pavement and I'm not the biggest fan of running on the hard stuff.

• Like 5

Just got back from my race :) I ran the whole thing and finished in 38:08, Ds finished in 37:51. Not bad for our first, especially on a trail. I was really feeling rough this morning- my bp and pulse have been tanking due to my thyroid the last few days and I didn't hardly sleep last night because of the nerves but the adrenaline powered me through. I'm considering another run in three weeks but it is on pavement and I'm not the biggest fan of running on the hard stuff.

Way to go!

My race was this morning too, a 4 miler. The winning female did it in 40 something, it took me 58. It was so much fun! I did have one minor fall and got muddy plus cut my finger. I didn't notice the cut until the end though, so it wasn't too bad.

There's a 6 mile trail race in my birthday in July, I'm signing up for it!

• Like 5

:hurray:  :cheers2:

Congratulations to both of you!  

• Like 1

Way to go!

My race was this morning too, a 4 miler. The winning female did it in 40 something, it took me 58. It was so much fun! I did have one minor fall and got muddy plus cut my finger. I didn't notice the cut until the end though, so it wasn't too bad.

There's a 6 mile trail race in my birthday in July, I'm signing up for it!

Ya!

Too bad about the fall, my friend took a little tumble as well but didn't end up with any cuts. I had to dodge a bit of mud but thankfully most of it had dried up. I think I'd like to do another trail run but I don't know if there are any others around here, lots of 5ks but on the pavement. I'm not sure the winning time for my division, there were a ton in my division, it was crazy the 18-35 y.o. had just a few people- the winning male was one of the last. I wanted to ask the winning time but didn't want to be rude. The race we ran had a 5, 10 and 18k race, I told my friend next year we could do the 18k, we'll see, I hope I keep enjoying it and I plan on practicing that route plenty of times, working up to the 10k once I get my time down and don't feel my chest collapsing on that killer hill at the end.

• Like 1

You'll love it. :) 

Just plan to take it easy and your time will likely be *much* slower than a comparable paved/smooth surface run. Once you have 100 miles or so of trail running on your legs, your times might get a lot closer to your smooth surface paces, but if you try to run that fast right away, you'll be at high risk of twisting an ankle, falling, or otherwise getting hurt.

Just get on some trails (where the race is or anywhere similar) and start doing some of your runs on trails. Take it easy, run "light and quick" to help keep your balance. You've got to watch your foot placement and run light enough that you can adapt to the uneven surface, a loose rock, etc. 

On longer trail races, people are likely to walk on the uphills or across creeks, etc, but on a 4 mile race, most folks will run the whole thing. 

Just don't run it for time. Don't look at your watch. :) 

• Like 2

This has been a fun thread to read! I love running trails, but have never run in an actual trail race. But I'm going to sign up for this one as soon as registration opens. I can't wait!

http://www.rainshadowrunning.com/oregon-coast-50k--30k.html

Wow, 30k or 50k is serious! If you've been trail running though you'll enjoy it.

It seemed to me people were a lot more polite during the trail race vs a typical 5k road race. One guy ran behind me for quite a while and wouldn't pass until I finally told him to go on. It seems like normally people plow around you when you are too slow.

I've told my husband at least 100 times today how much fun I had and my 8 year old asked if he could run it with me next time. I really enjoyed it.

• Like 3

All of you need to go watch The Barkley Marathons on Netflix! It's a great ultra trail running documentary.

The Ginger Runner has some great films (on Youtube) of trail races he's done. Warning: there is some language in his videos, but the scenery is spectacular!

Edited by Hikin' Mama
  • Like 1