Menu

Progressive lens glasses...do they take awhile to get used to?

I just got my first pair of "real" glasses after 4 years of reading glasses. I'm finding it difficult to adjust to progressive lenses. The reading "window" is so small, that I find myself always searching for that "sweet spot" where it works. I feel like an owl. Turning my head rather than shifting my eyes to focus on anything. Peripheral vision with these glasses has not been good either. After 3 days of wearing them my eyelids are all puffy and my eyes are very tired. Can it really be this difficult or did I get a lousy pair of glasses? What was your experience with progressives?

TIA

Yes, but my adjustment wasn't nearly so hard. Looking down while walking was weird for a few days, but I don't recall significant eye strain. I've always moved my head, not just my eyes - that *would* make my eyes hurt. I naturally look down to read a book, anyway; it is only a problem if I want to read in bed, but I just use my reading glasses for that and also for computer work. I didn't change any of my normal habits and my progressives worked fine that way; I found using them to be intuitive, and my reading window seems to be a good size.

Granted, I have progressives because I am so nearsighted that I can't read without glasses, but I couldn't read with my regular prescription either. For years I just used an old set of distance glasses as my "reading glasses", but constantly switching them in class so I could see the board and see my notes/book was annoying. So my doc suggested bifocals, and I *love* mine; it's great not having to drag another set of glasses *everywhere* (though I do use my "reading glasses" a lot at home). If you have them because you are somewhat farsighted, it may be different.

I'd try using them without constantly moving your eyes - just move your head as seems natural - and see how it goes. If they still don't work, it might just be a bad fit for you. My dad got trifocals once, with the middle setting for computer work, but they never worked for him - he took them back.

Make sure the lenses are adjusted in the frames correctly so the normal vision part is where it should be - you should not be having such a hard time with these things. I had to have my lenses adjusted after a couple days - I thought they were fine in the store (Walmart eye doc.) but after a couple days it just seemed wrong so back I went - once the technician tweaked the position of the lense int he frame all was much better. I wear mine all the time, now.

I followed the advise of my eye doctor and got progressives 'because my up close vision would be get a little worse because of my age'. What a bunch of stuff. I can read just fine, even at my age. My vision problem is not being able to read street signs and such. I hated my progressive lens from the get go, I put them down and haven't picked them back up for over a year. I should have taken them back to the dr, but I didn't. I would not recommend them for anyone who didn't 'really' need reading glasses.

I hate them.

I've had glasses since grade school for near-sightedness. I began having trouble focusing on the TV across the room, then down to the book or knitting in my lap. Dr said it was my eyes changing and that I needed bifocals. He recommended progressive lenses (even though he had the old fashioned ones with lines). He said if you get progressive ones when you barely need them, your eyes adjust more easily. Whatever. They are still a pain. And even with them, I can't hold the book where I used to when reading in bed.

The "sweet spot" is much smaller than my old glasses (from the 90's - they were big) and I feel that it really cuts down on my eye movement. I hope that won't become a problem in later years (that the eyes aren't getting enough exercise now). That the style for glasses right now is tiny doesn't help either.

I've also heard that progressive lenses are even more susceptible to the "you get what you pay for" factor than regular glasses. I bought mine at an eyeglass store (because the dr was 45 minutes away) and I can't wait to try the next pair, which I will be buying from the doctor.

Make sure the lenses are adjusted in the frames correctly so the normal vision part is where it should be - you should not be having such a hard time with these things. I had to have my lenses adjusted after a couple days - I thought they were fine in the store (Walmart eye doc.) but after a couple days it just seemed wrong so back I went - once the technician tweaked the position of the lense int he frame all was much better. I wear mine all the time, now.

This was kind of my experience. My technician put a new nosepiece on my glasses and I was fine after that.

It took nearly 2 months before DH noticed that I was not complaining about them anymore...

After the first week I broke down and had the Dr prescribe me a pair of 'regular' glasses.

I've had my progressives for almost 2 years now--I don't remember where I set the 'other' pair down--I have not missed them.

It took DH about 3 weeks to get used to his.

I hated mine for ages. I couldn't scan the newspaper like I used to, the reading "sweet spot" was so small. When reading a book I can hold close to my nose, the glasses are still off. But now I like them for general, daily use.

Recently, I got my prescription sunglasses with bifocals, and I like those even less because I'm not use to the sudden transitions. The reading sweet spot is bigger, but I'm not used to it and I don't use it for reading (maps, etc) enough to get used to them. My opinion might change if I did use the reading portion more.

But remember, "Getting old isn't for sissies."

• 4 weeks later...
I just got my first pair of "real" glasses after 4 years of reading glasses. I'm finding it difficult to adjust to progressive lenses. The reading "window" is so small, that I find myself always searching for that "sweet spot" where it works. I feel like an owl. Turning my head rather than shifting my eyes to focus on anything. Peripheral vision with these glasses has not been good either. After 3 days of wearing them my eyelids are all puffy and my eyes are very tired. Can it really be this difficult or did I get a lousy pair of glasses? What was your experience with progressives?

TIA

Sounds like something is wrong. I'd schedule a follow-up appointment. I have progressives from LensCrafters -- been wearing them for about a year now -- and they are great. It took only a couple of days for me to adjust -- but I had been wearing "regular" glasses or contacts since I was 13 yo.

Yes, I was dizzy and nauseated for a couple of weeks. I didn't wear them all day because I couldn't stand it, but I gradually increased my wearing time and now wear them all the time without problems.

I have had mine for a week and I found the first couple of days to be like you describe.

The more I wear them the easier it is getting.

It is awfully nice now to have to snap my fingers at the nearest kid and say "Hey, you. Get over here and read this phone book to me!":lol:

My eye doctor said there are different types. The older, cheaper type takes longer to get used to, and some people never do. He said when he got them, it took him several weeks. The newer, more expensive type, is easier, so that's what I tried. I was concerned when I got them because I get motion sick from visual stimuli, and the woman who fitted me told me to be prepared in case I couldn't adjust. However, it only took me a day or two to get used to them. The hardest part was just remembering to turn my head as I read, instead of just moving my eyes. Other than that, I've had no problems.

I had Varilux progressives for years and never had an adjustment period with any of them. Last year, I tried a different brand and I felt like I was walking off balance for several days. I kept thinking I was going to walk into wall or nearby objects. For my next pair, I'm going back to Varilux! Oh, and I never could adjust to a lined bifocal. That's not even an option for me.

I She said that the progressive lens is a very hard lens to make because the optics of it are very complicated. You need to get good materials, and have good "makers". She said that you pretty much get what you pay for in this arena (which she said is NOT true of the frames, or of a simple prescription, so I don't think she was trying to suck money out of my pockets). Progressives are *very* expensive compared to simple prescriptions. Three to four times as much money.

I agree with this. We bought our frames at WalMart because we could get more choices within the limitations of our insurance, but we had our lenses made at our eye clinic.

I did not think a week was too much to adjust to going from no glasses to progressive lenses. I am very pleased with mine now.

this arena (which she said is NOT true of the frames, or of a simple prescription, so I don't think she was trying to suck money out of my pockets). Progressives are *very* expensive compared to simple prescriptions. Three to four times as much money.

I find this is true with my high index lenses, too. I'm dreading that I may have to go to progressives someday. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to second what you say about quality lenses. It makes a difference if you have more ... shall we say... complicated vision issues.

Also... about frames... I've had 4 eye docs in the past dozen or so years and every time I have done a little research ahead of time about frame prices. I will always ask if the eye doc will match the prices on frames offered at places like LensCrafters & Shoppers Optical. Since they are a business, too, it behooves them to be a bit competitive. I've not had one refuse so far. They will almost always offer the same or near discount % on the frames as the competition IF I ask. So, don't be afraid to ask!

Lenses, like you've said, are another thing entirely.

It took a good week to get used to them...and learning to look down through the bottom of the lens to read.

Haven't had a problem with them since then! I'm quite pleased. I used to have to take my glasses off to read (I've been nearsighted since I was 7) and now I don't have to!

This was my experience as well, when I finally gave in and got them. :blush: I'm on my 2nd pair now and had no adjustment to make with these.

I have Duane's Syndrome--the muscles in one eye do not all work as they should, making it so that my two eyes do not track together as other people's do. With the gradient, I could only get one eye to look through those bifocals at a time. I LOVE my lenses with the non-gradient bifocal...and am going to ask for tri-focals next time. The bifocal is much larger, and I no longer have to move my head back and forth to read. I had gotten to the point that I fell asleep every time I read, trying to get my eyes to work correctly was such a strain.

FWIW,

Jean