Menu

Support Groups vs Co-Ops

I know we've discussed before the change in the homeschooling community where support groups have been replaced by co-ops. But are there still support groups in most major metros?

For my family, co-ops go against almost all of the reasons we choose homeschooling. I'm not interested in a co-op for my elementary aged kids and I'm not going to join one just to meet other homeschoolers. But I would like to meet some local homeschooling families. Winter gets long and the kids and I can start to feel a bit isolated. So do support groups still exist? How would I go about finding one?

There are at least two near to me which are weekly park days. I found out about them by googling homeschool park days.

Winter is very mild here and it was summer hot the past few weeks. My kids get to play with other kids by being at the park around 5pm which is when school kids gather while their moms/grandmas cook dinner. That works better for us since we are an agnostic-atheist family.

We have co ops here & a support group of sorts.

The "support group" is our local homeschoolers facebook group. We answer questions & share resources there.

Any field trip or homeschool activity that is open to all homeschoolers (not just for co op members) is advertised there and on our email newsletter list.

On occasion, we run a short series of " new homeschoolers" meetings to get info in person for newbies.

People get confused between co op & our general homeschool community often. Like, for co op, it's on certain days at a certain place only & you have to volunteer to teac a certain number Of classes per year.

We get moms who offer to set up, say, open swim or a field trip for homeschoolers,then want that to count for their co op case requirement. Um, no, I'm happy you're setting up field trips, but co op is a separate thing.

A decade ago, we as a local parent only support group, but as we got more homeschoolers and Internet groups became available, we dropped that & started co ops & activties for the kids.

Parents do get support at co op, as most are not teaching during that time & chat then.

To find one, check facebook. Or Google " your town & state & homeschool support group". Or, start your own:)

I'd like something a little more intimate and local than a facebook group. I have the feeling that any local homeschooling facebook group would be huge as the local curriculum sale group has hundreds of members and covers the entire metro including the exurbs. There may very well be a facebook group like what I'm looking for--but I'm guessing if it's small enough to feel intimate, they wouldn't allow strangers like myself into it. :P

I wish our city's community center offered a homeschool gym class--that's the closest thing to a co-op that I'd be willing to do. Unfortunately they don't and at this point in time I don't have the ability/time/drama tolerance to organize and run a gym class.

I know we've discussed before the change in the homeschooling community where support groups have been replaced by co-ops. But are there still support groups in most major metros?

For my family, co-ops go against almost all of the reasons we choose homeschooling. I'm not interested in a co-op for my elementary aged kids and I'm not going to join one just to meet other homeschoolers. But I would like to meet some local homeschooling families. Winter gets long and the kids and I can start to feel a bit isolated. So do support groups still exist? How would I go about finding one?

Yes, there are, but you have to look for them more diligently.

Surely, there's a statewide homeschool organization where you live. Surely, there would be information on local support groups.

I'd like something a little more intimate and local than a facebook group. I have the feeling that any local homeschooling facebook group would be huge as the local curriculum sale group has hundreds of members and covers the entire metro including the exurbs. There may very well be a facebook group like what I'm looking for--but I'm guessing if it's small enough to feel intimate, they wouldn't allow strangers like myself into it. :p

I wish our city's community center offered a homeschool gym class--that's the closest thing to a co-op that I'd be willing to do. Unfortunately they don't and at this point in time I don't have the ability/time/drama tolerance to organize and run a gym class.

:iagree:

A true support group will include some actual, physical face time.

Too many communities try to include everyone in the whole metropolitan area, instead of encouraging the growth of smaller, geographic areas. And the best groups happily allow new members.

Too bad we don't live close to each other; we could start a new support group. :001_smile:

• Like 2

Our statewide homeschool organization has them listed by county: http://afhe.org/resources_support_groups.html

As you can see not all are strictly support type groups, but not everyone wants support for homeschooling in general, they sometimes want support in a specific area.  Since the term is used so loosely, they lump a lot of types of groups together. Language changes over time and they have to deal with that reality.

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ

We have been part of a support group that meets once a week for the kids to socialize and the moms to hang out. (The group also tried to run a small coop for a while, but that was more glorified playgroup and did not meet my academic expectations)

We are in a  small town, the group has about 40 families, and many drive half an hour or more to the meetings.

It was a great way for the kids to find friends, and my DS met several of his best friends through the group.

We found it online. Back then, they had a yahoo group, now they are on facebook.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

We have at least four support groups in this area (in addition to several co-ops that are just co-OP's). Two are free email lists through yahoo; they might organize field trips or activities, or they might just share info about events or items that may be useful to local homeschoolers. So check yahoo.

One of our local support groups is a huge one that covers several counties and which offers tons of activities of all types. You pay to join, but they have an email list through homeschool-life, so check there for groups in your area.

My group require dues to join but no other commitments. We may or may not offer co-op classes (we aren't this year), but we generally offer trips, activities, parties, parent support events, etc., just whatever people want to organize. We run our email list through Shutterfly, but I don't know if they make it easy to find other homeschool groups or not.

• Like 1

Surely, there's a statewide homeschool organization where you live. Surely, there would be information on local support groups.

There is, but they charge $40 (the membership fee for the state organization) to be able to see the list of support groups (with no guarantee that there will be anything that matches what you're looking for).

We have a co-op that doesn't require you to take classes.  You can, but it costs extra.  They have a support group that includes field trips, sports, play dates, park days, a talent show, Mom's night outs, book swaps, and other things that are separate from the co-op classes.   Have you looked at the co-ops in any detail?  Perhaps the co-op part is only one small part of what they offer?

• Like 1

We have a co-op that doesn't require you to take classes. You can, but it costs extra. They have a support group that includes field trips, sports, play dates, park days, a talent show, Mom's night outs, book swaps, and other things that are separate from the co-op classes. Have you looked at the co-ops in any detail? Perhaps the co-op part is only one small part of what they offer?

I'll have to look into it. The only ones I have familiarity with are class focused, but there may be some that have less of that.

• Like 1

I'll have to look into it. The only ones I have familiarity with are class focused, but there may be some that have less of that.

Unfortunately, the one I mentioned has a very poorly done website so 90% of what they offer isn't even on the calendar, just the co-op classes and sports events.  It leaves visitors with a very skewed view.

We have a co-op that doesn't require you to take classes.  You can, but it costs extra.  They have a support group that includes field trips, sports, play dates, park days, a talent show, Mom's night outs, book swaps, and other things that are separate from the co-op classes.   Have you looked at the co-ops in any detail?  Perhaps the co-op part is only one small part of what they offer?

Sounds like the co-op is part of the support group. Because otherwise, how could there be a co-op that doesn't require classes?? :-)

Usually the support group will have park days and field trips as the main theme as well as disseminating information. If your support group is a bit slow then you can go ahead and plan the park days yourself -pretty easy to do and good way to meet people little by little.

You can also find friends and get involved in your community at sports, scouts, Eric

• Like 1

In our city, co-ops have come and gone several times (currently back in vogue with 3 religious-based, 2 classical conversation groups, and 1 inclusive co-op). But our city's 3 major support groups (1 secular, 2 Christian) have each steadily plugged along for over 20 years. Activities include weekly Park Day/Pe, field trips, social activities/parties for the different age groups, community service events, year book, and a teen Student Council and annual graduation ceremony.

… Surely, there's a statewide homeschool organization where you live. Surely, there would be information on local support groups.

… There is, but they charge $40 (the membership fee for the state organization) to be able to see the list of support groups (with no guarantee that there will be anything that matches what you're looking for).

You might try by-passing the $40 to see their list, and try an internet search for "homeschool group, __(name of your city)__" and see what comes up. Or, see if any of these websites list something near you:

The Homeschool Mom: Local Support, listed by state and city

Homeschool World: homeschool organizations and support groups, listed by US state, US territory, + other nations

Homeschool.com: support groups, listed by state

Secular Homeschool.com: secular homeschool support groups, listed by state

Homeschool Facts.com: support groups, directory by state

A 2 Z Home's Cool, homeschool support groups, worldwide

Homeschool Classifies, groups and activities, search by state, country, or "near zip code" 

HSLDA: homeschool organizations, listed by state

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Also try asking the local children's librarians (we leave our business cards with ours) & posting on your big local group (or pming the curriculum sales group admin), maybe they know of support groups.

Our website is a few years out of date, no one has volunteered to take it over &'we're hard to find by googling. So, there may be groups you just aren't finding, or they have old or non existent internet presences.

• Like 3

Also try asking the local children's librarians (we leave our business cards with ours) & posting on your big local group (or pming the curriculum sales group admin), maybe they know of support groups.

Our website is a few years out of date, no one has volunteered to take it over &'we're hard to find by googling. So, there may be groups you just aren't finding, or they have old or non existent internet presences.

Great idea about the libraries!  Our small local branch offers homeschool classes, so that would be a great way to meet people and learn about local groups.  Our martial arts studio offers daytime classes for homeschoolers, so check to see if there are sports or arts or other places that offer daytime classes.

• Like 1

Check out the co-ops. Often there are support groups either as a part of the group or a spin-off of families that have met through the co-op.

It sounds like you might be interested in something like a gym class. I don't know how your local co-op is structured, but there are several in out area and  they all have gym class. Here you can come to the co-op and take only one class if you want (gym or drama or pottery, etc) I like the co-ops that are purely elective and pick and choose what you are a part of. Personally I like to teach hands-on-science classes where we blow things up and mix chemicals etc. - no book work and no homework.

Search the web, ask your co-op of other opportunities, ask the librarians, if there is an email loop or facebook group, they may point you toward what you are looking for. Don't be afraid to ask the big organized groups as most of them are generally interested in helping other homeschoolers find what they are looking for.

• Like 1

I am a part of two support groups.  Both do offer co-ops but that is only one thing and not everyone in the groups join the co-op (or they do for only one or two classes or only one session a year).  I would check around for local fb groups and then ask on there about local groups.  Then you can talk to people actually involved in them.