Menu

Help me spend charter school funds--consumables

So I've got some charter school money left over, I've already earmarked the percentage that can be used for outside lessons. Whatever I buy has to be returned to the school unless it is consumable or a subscription or something; I hate having stuff in the house that doesn't belong to me but that I have to take care of, so I'd rather use the funds for consumables or intangibles.

All ideas welcome, kids are ages five through twelve.

Are lab stuff consumables? I have some mish mash collection of lab stuff like measuring cylinder, spring balance, thermometers, single pulley that my previous charter didn't want back.

Else I would spend on workbooks or curriculum in pdf format like the Ellen McHenry ones.

• Like 1

What about the oak meadow art/

craft kits? Kiwi crates /doodle crates are fun and also Ivy kids kit for your youngest. You could buy individuals. You could stock up on school supplies that are consumable. 

Beast Academy is fun and "consumable" for the most part. ;) What about an extra phonics book, or even a curriculum you would love to try out. It depends on how much you have left. 

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 2

So I've got some charter school money left over, I've already earmarked the percentage that can be used for outside lessons. Whatever I buy has to be returned to the school unless it is consumable or a subscription or something; I hate having stuff in the house that doesn't belong to me but that I have to take care of, so I'd rather use the funds for consumables or intangibles.

All ideas welcome, kids are ages five through twelve.

Art supplies.  Science supplies (dissection kit?).  

• Like 2

I LOVE the "spend someone else's money" threads. I'm great at spending money!

Art supplies

Science kits (Magic School Bus for youngers, Science in a Nutshell or ASK for middles, Thames and Kosmos for everybody)

Kiwi Crates, Doodle Crates

Magazine subscriptions - Highlights, Ask, Spider, bunches of others

Kumon workbooks to supplement area of interest or weakness

Can you get memberships? Zoo, science museum, etc?

• Like 3

I often see Piano workbooks in the used bookstore--most of which are written in so I assume that they are consumables/marked in so that should count. I have no idea what grades you are looking for, but there are a ton of subscription sites.

I would pay for an online class/subscription to either something that your student enjoys and is niche/hard to find or is struggling in and could use the extra support.

I know that you said you don't want to buy stuff because then you have to care for it, but there are some expensive niche curriculum that might be out of your range

normally. Visualize World Geography and Dynamic Literacy come to mind. There is also Visual Link Spanish which I think has the option of buying a subscription.

• Like 1

Any great foreign language or music resources? Favorite art supplies?

Foreign language:

Song School for basic intro level

Homeschool Spanish Academy - worth its weight in gold

Art supplies:

Good quality paper

Paper making kits

Pastels

Liquid Watercolor (these are amazing in so many ways)

Charcoals

Do A Dot markers

Watercolor pencils or crayons

Good tempera paints

Yarn and a weaving loom or finger knitting book

Stamps and ink pads

Great quality colored pencils (Prismacolor or equivalent)

Sketch books

• Like 2

The Great Courses plus, but they're probably too young for that.  AHA! Science, Bravewriter PDF(I think?), EIW is a PDF, most of SWB can be downloaded as a PDF.  Also a $100 membership to Questia would be nice. Or the Gilder Lehrman Institute.  Mine are 12 and 14 so my suggestions reflect that but maybe for the future? Plato Learning as a supplement, same for Derek Owens, Tablet Class. How about movie/documentary rentals from Amazon?

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

I'm going to add Prismacolor markers to your list too:)

And good watercolor paints and acrylics & brushes, art & drawing pads and canvasses.

Maybe some fancy new "adult" coloring books or nature or anatomy coloring book for the older kids.

- can you tell what we spend a lot on here

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

Amazon also has coloring books for biology, zoology, geography....

BA guides aren't consumable, only the workbooks. Miquon student books are consumable, though the rods and teacher books wouldn't be.

Any interest in home ec for your older kids? You could get fabric, thread, needles, pins and pincushions, fasteners, etc.

• Like 1

I can spend pretty much my entire school allotment on science things: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/

If writing is a challenge, maybe IEW's super-huge bundle for writing. I used a lot of my funds for it this year, and I figure we'll try to use it for the next few years. 

My son got a pile for maze, dot-to-dot, and word search puzzle books, which he uses all the time while in waiting rooms and in the van.

Books on CD for driving? 

• Like 1

Yes. If you've watched any of the old Standard Deviants videos on VHS, it's the same sort of thing, only in modules with activities and assignments added. Anything that is multiple choice is graded by the computer, anything that is open response is put on the parent's account to look at later. We were able to go together as a group and share the lifetime subscription (which allows 10 students per "class") for $75/kid. Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 1