Menu

Ground/minced beef dishes without tomato?

Laura Corin

My mum won't eat fish, we've had several nights of veggie food and the only meat in the freezer is a 500g (about a pound) of ground/minced beef.  Husband can't digest tomatoes or other acidic foods well.

I have a good range of pantry items - any ideas for a meal for four?  Not cottage pie - we just had shepherd's pie.  And nothing with chilli - my mum likes full flavours but not hot spice.  And not burgers.

Thanks

Swedish meatballs?

I've been making this easy Ground Turkey Pie a lot lately, and it would be great with beef, I think:

Pat into a pie pan 1 lb. ground beef/turkey, cooked (with 1/2 salt if turkey) (well-drained if beef)

Whisk in a bowl:

4 eggs

1/4 t. garlic powder

1/4 t. salt

1/4 t. onion powder

1/4 c. sour cream

1/4 c. milk

Gently pour the egg mixture over the meat, and then top with 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. 

My kids love this dish. 

ETA: That temp is Fahrenheit.  :)

Edited by elroisees
  • Like 2

Piroski, but it takes a long time to make.

The meat has to be chopped very fine if it wasn't ground three times.  You mix up the meat and make the dough and then chill them thoroughly.  Then you make the piroskis and chill them for an hour on the baking sheet.  Then you finally get to bake them, LOL!  But gosh they are good, and I understand that they freeze well, although I have never tried that.

• Like 2

Piroski, but it takes a long time to make.

The meat has to be chopped very fine if it wasn't ground three times.  You mix up the meat and make the dough and then chill them thoroughly.  Then you make the piroskis and chill them for an hour on the baking sheet.  Then you finally get to bake them, LOL!  But gosh they are good, and I understand that they freeze well, although I have never tried that.

Sounds lovely.  I work full time though, so supper has to be pretty quick to make.

• Like 1

Korean "cheater" beef bowl: http://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/(I halve the sugar and skip the pepper flakes for my whiny people. DH and I add sriracha!) It's good as tacos or over rice or over cabbage or cauliflower rice if you're cutting carbs. :)

THIS!  It was recommended recently and we love it.  Regular in our rotation now and one of my few uses for ground beef.

• Like 1

I make this recipe once in awhile.  It isn't spicy, and it is beyond me why we like it, but we do.  I leave out the red wine if I don't have any on hand and just increase the water.

To save time when preparing recipes with browned ground beef in them, I brown and freeze the beef  in advance.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/70589/serbian-ground-beef-veggie-and-potato-bake/

Korean "cheater" beef bowl: http://damndelicious.net/2013/07/07/korean-beef-bowl/(I halve the sugar and skip the pepper flakes for my whiny people. DH and I add sriracha!) It's good as tacos or over rice or over cabbage or cauliflower rice if you're cutting carbs. :)

Just wanted to say I tried this Friday night for the first time, and everyone loved it!  It was yummy and so easy! (I skipped the pepper flakes too, LOL.)  I served it over a ton of rice.  I tripled the recipe and had only a small tub of leftovers, if anyone wants to try it with a big family.