Menu

Need ideas for vacation spots?

housemouse

We really, really need a nice vacation. Would love some suggestions please.

It has to meet at least some of the criteria:

1. Has to be in the US- mainland
2. Not a  beach on the Atlantic side
3. Not a  large metro area (no NYC, D.C., Chicago, etc.)
4. We'll assume money is not an issue (more options that way)
5. Preferably has a kitchen in the lodging option
6. Not a campground/RV park
7. Not Disney (been there few times already) or amusement parks in general

I know its a long list of dos and don'ts. Like I said we really, really need a nice relaxing vacation (more husband that myself) so I really appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you.

What time of year?  Ideally in spring or early fall.

How many people? Dh, myself and 4 kids (4-13yo)

What do you like to do? Between Dh and I we are a "jack of all trades" nothing really specific but a bit of everything- all things food and good chocolate is always nice.

If summer, consider the 1000 Islands area of NY:

http://www.visit1000islands.com/

It's relatively unknown, uncrowded, and gorgeous if you catch it on sunny days.

I added answers in blue. And I will check the 1000 islands area. Thank you.

Edited by housemouse

Had I the option, I'd love to go to an all-inclusive dude ranch out west and ride horses (or not), let someone else do the cooking and cleaning, and just relax in the great outdoors, maybe fishing from a boat gently rocking on a lake...ah.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 4

Never been there, but I've always thought Mackinac Island in Michigan looked like the COOLEST place to visit!

(Totally NOT on topic, but this is my 1000th post!!!)

Mackinac Island is a lot if fun. I have been there 30+ times. Neat as there are horses and bikes for transportation on the island, no cars. Best fudge ever.

• Like 3

Sea Ranch, Coastal area north of San Francisco.

Vacation rentals with all amenities. Rarely crowded. Tennis courts, pools and the Pacific. Endless stretches of beach. Certain times of year you can see whales migrating. In case you are unfamiliar with the Pacific at the North coast. There is no swimming in the ocean, way too dangerous and water is too cold. Summers can be foggy in the morning but burns off around midday. Spring and late fall are gorgeous. Temps are rarely lower than 50's or higher than mid-seventies.

http://bookings.searanchrentals.com/

http://www.ramshead.com/

• Like 2

Never been there, but I've always thought Mackinac Island in Michigan looked like the COOLEST place to visit!

(Totally NOT on topic, but this is my 1000th post!!!)

We had a blast on Mackinac Island, 1.5 years ago.  Though we stayed for 3 nights and thought that was about right.

Otherwise...  one trip we did a long time ago was a stay in the Pocono Mountains area.  We had so much fun.  We stayed in a town house type of arrangement with a pool.

Other random spots I happened to think of:

Black Hills/Mount Rushmore area;  Glacier National Park;  Catalina Island.

Lakeside, Ohio is a great chautauqua experience for families. Everyone can choose how to spend their time - relaxing on the dock, fishing, taking an art class, tennis lessons, leisurely chatting on the front porch, the list is endless. I've been to Chautauqua, New York and it is also amazing, but Lakeside is more low-key and family friendly IMO.

rent a condo at yellowstone.  the park is huge. and incredible.  (I liked it more than the grand canyon).  we stayed in west yellowstone which is right at the gate about the middle of the west side of the park.  it's amazing, I'd love to go back.  there are even spots where the hot springs have mixed with the cold water to make it a nice temp for swimming.

you can take a couple days and drive down to the tetons - which are fairly close on the south side.

I'd also like to go back to colorado springs - the garden of the gods was pretty cool and I'd like to spend more time.

Our top two U.S. Vacations with the family have been, Smoky Mountains in TN--we stayed in a cabin, visited the national parks, Cade's Cove, caves, and more...and our top vacation was a Disney Cruise. So much fun for every age! We love cruising in general, but the Disney cruise is far superior if cruising with kids.

Early to mid fall when school is in session is a great time to travel.  Spring can be too, but it can also be more problematic with the weather.

Yellowstone is always one of our favorites, so comes highly recommended.  It's easy to relax seeing thermal pools, geysers, critters, and awesome vistas.

Utah's National Parks are another option.  Compare Bryce to Zion and Arches for some spectacular beauty.

Fall in NY's Adirondack Mountains is spectacular.  Western Mass and VT are too.

Coastal Oregon and cutting inland to Crater Lake would be options.

We've enjoyed Death Valley, Carlsbad, Mesa Verde and more too, but I'm not sure I'd spend a week at any one of them.

A huge part of travel really lies in what you want to see, then making it happen.  Is there an area of interest anyone has, from schooling, TV/movies, books, or life in general?  By the time my guys were the ages your older kids are at, they were helping us choose. This made travel far more interesting for them too.

• Like 1

In fall, I will second Mackinac Island.  I would not recommend it in spring.  It is fun for a few days.  If you are looking for longer, add on to it before or after. There are lots of great vacation areas on all of the great lakes.  The upper peninsula of MI is very laid back and relaxing with lots to do.  And fall is the very best time to be there IMO.

The town of South Lake Tahoe.  Stay at the Tahoe Beach and Ski Club--it has a private beach with its own picnic tables and grills, and one of the most beautiful views of the lake around sunset anywhere around.  Plus it is not snooty/resorty.  The condos have small kitchens but no stoves--just toaster ovens and microwaves.  When we stay there we always bring a single plug in electric burner and a pot or two.  There is a pizza place on site.  The amenities include pay laundry facilities, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, saunas, workout room, outdoor playground, tennis courts (which we never use), and a cozy clubroom.  They organize low key but fun optional activities there, like a sand castle contest on their beach.  Heavenly Ski Resort is close by, and in the summer you can buy tram lift tickets to head up the mountain and see the sights.

Lake Tahoe is one of the most beautiful places in the whole country.  There are extensive public parks and bike/walking trails around parts of it, especially in the South Lake Tahoe area.

There are lots of easy hikes that even your four year old could do in the area.  http://laketahoe.com/content/top-10-beginner-hikes-lake-tahoe And there are awesome historic spots to tour.  Carson City is 45 minutes away, with the Nevada State Museum having the best geological displays for kids I have ever seen, and an old gold mine to tour.  Virginia City is a little further, with its famous Mark Twain locations.  

Gosh, there are so many possibilities. California has a lot to offer. As others have said Lake Tahoe is beautiful. The Redwood Forest is also really pretty. The Yellowstone/Grand Teton area is one of my favorite and offers a lot of unique things to see. Any of these places would have the type of lodging you are looking for if you just search for cabins or homes to rent.