Menu

How do you clean your cast iron pan?

MEmama

I remember my mother used to just pour the grease into the all purpose grease can next to the stove (to eventually be reused) before just wiping it out with a napkin. I'm not very squeamish about sanitation in the kitchen, but perhaps I'm forgetting a crucial step?

I'm new to cast iron and want to make sure I'm doing it right. ;)

Am I the only one to dd more "fat" to it right away?

I clean with water, no soap, dry it and then spray with oil before putting it away.

I don't NOW, because they are so well used and well seasoned. Now it's sufficient to just cook with fat.

It depends on what I'm cooking and how well seasoned a particular piece is.

For something simple and fatty (bacon, ground beef, etc.), I just wipe out.

But I cook anything and everything in my cast iron, including creamy, tomato-ey, and sticky stuff.  Those get a good rub under hot water, scrubbed with salt if needed, then dried and oiled.

• Like 1

I'll use coarse salt to scrub, then rinse and DRY COMPLETELY, then add a bit more oil + put on the stovetop with heat...still working on re-curing some amazing cast iron pans I found for free. 

That said, my grandmother always used soap on her cast iron. 

I usually rinse/scrub any food debris out with hot water, dry it on the stove, and rub it down with some cooking spray while it's still hot.

My brother swears that flaxseed oil gave his a better "season" than anything else he tried and that it made his truly non-stick. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

Am I the only one to dd more "fat" to it right away?

I clean with water, no soap, dry it and then spray with oil before putting it away.

I add a touch of oil and wipe it around with a paper towel after it's been washed and dried.  It's how I was taught so it's just my routine...no science behind it. 

I usually rinse/scrub any food debris out with hot water, dry it on the stove, and rub it down with some cooking spray while it's still hot.

My brother swears that flaxseed oil gave his a better "season" than anything else he tried and that it made his truly non-stick. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

The flaxseed oil gives it this slide out of the pan finish like nothing else.

• Like 3

Same as others--light scrub with water, dry it, oil if needed. Spray (like Pam) makes it sticky. Use something real.

Once in a while, someone in the family will put it in the sink (esp if I haven't gotten to it and I left it on the stove) and fill it with water.

:willy_nilly:

So then I do use a bit of soap, and I reseason by sticking in the oven after rubbing with coconut oil. (I can't remember the exact directions, but I use the Lodge website.) It takes a few days, imo, to get a good season on it that can withstand a little abuse.

I scrub mine out with a scouring pad (just the rough type - no soap) and hot water.  If I need a bit more cleaning power, I add salt.  Then I put it on my stove top and heat it till dry and get a bit of lard from a small tub I bought for this purpose and give it a wipe for a thin coat.

• Like 1

Thanks for al, the great cleaning tips.

One more question: will all the oil/ fat build up cause much smoking? I'd like to be able to cook at fairly high temps without much extra oil, but I'm wondering how all that extra grease (the seasoning?) will respond.

One more question: will all the oil/ fat build up cause much smoking? I'd like to be able to cook at fairly high temps without much extra oil, but I'm wondering how all that extra grease (the seasoning?) will respond.

Mine smokes just a bit when I turn the heat to high. It's probably because I don't always wipe out the shortening well from the last use. It quickly dissipates though.

Scrub it with a chain mail scrubber

http://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Chainmail/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452205566&sr=8-2&keywords=chain+mail+scrubber

Use a of of fat to cook

dry immediately on the stove top

This.

We get out as much grease as possible, then clean it w/ hot water and chain mail. Then back on the burner till the water is gone and we add some fat to it if it needs it. We let the fat melt and swab the pan to spread the fat. 

No. If you have oil/fat buildup you're putting way too much on the pan. The seasoning is more a of carbon layer than a grease layer.

Scrub it with a chain mail scrubber

http://www.amazon.com/Ringer-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Chainmail/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452205566&sr=8-2&keywords=chain+mail+scrubber

Use a of of fat to cook

dry immediately on the stove top

I got one of these for christmas from Lehman's. Love it.  My cast iron was my grandmothers.  It was probably 50+ years old when I got it almost 20 years ago.