Menu

Since when is "guaranteed" synonymous with "maybe, possibly"??? Shipping/Ama*on vent

AimeeM

Amazon (knock on wood) has been great. USPS is on my poop list along TRU. TRU just screwed up but in the end did redeem themselves. USPS has been nothing but a tantrum. They delivered a package for us to the wrong town with a similar address( thanks to the tracking I know this as it shows the town delivered), has scanned packages as undeliverable but delivers the next day, scanned delivered but delivers days later, decided not to deliver mail at all to our area as they were busy, etc. This is not rural so it is funnier. And when they do deliver half of it is not even my mail. Amazon did replace the wrong delivered package with no issues at all. Lego has been very odd with shipping. One item I got before I got a shipping notice and the other sat for a few days.

I'm sorry you are having trouble.  I ordered the last of the Christmas stuff on Monday, Prime, but did not pay extra shipping for overnight.  1/2 of the stuff arrived today 30 hours later, the other half will be here tomorrow.  I also used Prime Now today and had my stuff within 2 hours.

I thought that the two day or one day shipping guarantee started when the items actually shipped. So if there is a delay in shipping, that doesn't count.

Also, guarantee in our society must means that you'll get your money back if things are otherwise, not that they will actually be as advertised.

I thought that the two day or one day shipping guarantee started when the items actually shipped. So if there is a delay in shipping, that doesn't count.

Also, guarantee in our society must means that you'll get your money back if things are otherwise, not that they will actually be as advertised.

Right above the order button it says when it is to arrive, not when it is to ship.

To lighten the mood: I ordered two new dog beds from Tesco (big supermarket/department store). A week later, I had had no notification of shipment and shipment was still pending on the website.  I called up, the rep apologised and said that they must have gone out of stock.  Did I want to choose something else or get my points back (I had bought with loyalty points)?  I asked to speak to a manager - he called me back within five minutes, we tried to find different pet beds that would arrive before Christmas, and when we failed he refunded the purchase price to my credit card.  Not only had I paid in loyalty points to begin with, but had used a double- up offer to buy.  So for my £15 worth of loyalty points, I received a refund of £30 in real money.  The new beds arrive today from another supplier, and Tesco has a happy customer.

Right above the order button it says when it is to arrive, not when it is to ship.

From their website:  

• If the item you're ordering is out of stock or unavailable to ship immediately, the shipping method time starts when the item ships. For example, it will take two business days after an item ships to reach you with Two-Day Shipping.

From their website:  

• If the item you're ordering is out of stock or unavailable to ship immediately, the shipping method time starts when the item ships. For example, it will take two business days after an item ships to reach you with Two-Day Shipping.

Then it should give you an "arrival" date that reflects that.  Whenever something I am ordering is out of stock or unavailable to ship it says so on the item page just below the order button, and then reiterates an "expected arrival date"-range on the shipping page.

• Like 1

Then it should give you an "arrival" date that reflects that.  Whenever something I am ordering is out of stock or unavailable to ship it says so on the item page just below the order button, and then reiterates an "expected arrival date"-range on the shipping page.

I don't pay any attention to expected arrival dates, only to the date that is associated with the tracking number for the order.  Even those arrival dates aren't foolproof.

But the real point here is that the word "guarantee" only means that they will refund your money if whatever they're guaranteeing does not happen.  They are not ensuring that it will actually happen.

It could be worse.  My worst experience ordering from Target was for summer clothes.  I placed the order at the end of Feb/beginning of March, was charged wayy too much for shipping (about $20 for a small box of shorts and tees), and got an email two weeks after stating they would ship toward the end of August. :glare:   I cancelled and haven't bothered to even look at their website since.

So far, I have received everything on time, prime 2 day. Many, many orders. Also LL Bean and Lands End came within two or three days, regular free shipping. No shipping involved the USPS for any part of the trip.

Abebooks, on the other hand, sends through USPS. Ordered items on Dec 15. Many still in transit. I am a bit fed up with postal service complaining about lack of revenue when their service is not remotely competitive.

They concerned us on one gift but by sending an email stating "if you don't get this by the 19th you may have to reorder"  but it came with another order dh placed.   Another company states "will receive by 24th" yet UPS has delivery on 30th?   Not sure what's going on.   

From their website:  

However, it states when you buy an item if you want it by X date then you should use Prime Shipping or One-Day Shipping- not it will be shipped by then. When you click on the details for the "want it by x date box it says-

Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery is available on products that have a "Want it delivered . . ." message that displays a delivery date and shipping option on the detail page. This date is the soonest we could deliver it to you if ordered within the time displayed.

If your order meets the qualifications for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery, we will refund the shipping costs if we miss our delivery promise.

If the item you purchase is not eligible for Express shipping options, we also offer Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery via standard shipping or international shipping when applicable as long as the item is shipped by Amazon.

I've never asked for a refund for anything Prime that has been late but if my order is not delivered by Christmas I will. I paid $20 because it said it will be guaranteed to be delivered by Christmas Eve if I upgraded shipping.

However, it states when you buy an item if you want it by X date then you should use Prime Shipping or One-Day Shipping- not it will be shipped by then. When you click on the details for the "want it by x date box it says-

Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery is available on products that have a "Want it delivered . . ." message that displays a delivery date and shipping option on the detail page. This date is the soonest we could deliver it to you if ordered within the time displayed.

If your order meets the qualifications for Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery, we will refund the shipping costs if we miss our delivery promise.

If the item you purchase is not eligible for Express shipping options, we also offer Guaranteed Accelerated Delivery via standard shipping or international shipping when applicable as long as the item is shipped by Amazon.

I've never asked for a refund for anything Prime that has been late but if my order is not delivered by Christmas I will. I paid $20 because it said it will be guaranteed to be delivered by Christmas Eve if I upgraded shipping.

Right--that's what "guarantee" means in this context.  They'll refund your money if it doesn't arrive in the time frame specified.  Not that it will actually arrive.