Menu

random pointless question of the day...does the idea of being famous appeal to you?

SparklyUnicorn

Nah. The idea of fame doesn't appeal to me at all.

It doesn't sound unappealing, meaning if I had wanted to pursue a career that might lead to fame I wouldn't have avoided it. However, I would have been one of those famous people who famously guard my and my family's privacy. I guess that would have eliminated politics. That's one field where you have no choice but to let it all out. 

• Like 1

No desire to be famous in the sense of being in the public eye- like an actor or musician. I do not have the butt to be a Kardashian and I love myself too much to be Duggar or Sister Wives famous.  But I do wish I had done something more with my life...maybe in an Ansel Adams kind of way. 

• Like 1

I think I would say I don't want to be a public figure.

It might be cool though to be very well respected in some area of expertise.  I think most people like the idea of being special at something.

I really do not understand the appeal though of being on some reality show just to be a "famous" person, being willing to make an idiot of yourself or be unkind.  For some maybe it is a money thing mainly, but there are some people who seem to find the public gaze in itself satisfying. 

On second thought - I do understand the appeal I think of doing something well in front of an audience - say a performance.  So, maybe for some, they don't really differentiate the applause for an amazing performance or laughs for a funny role from other kinds of being noticed?  Just like a kid who needs attention so much he's willing to misbehave to get it?  Or maybe its about not knowing teh difference between good and bad attention?

• Like 1

I think I would say I don't want to be a public figure.

It might be cool though to be very well respected in some area of expertise.  I think most people like the idea of being special at something.

This is where I am.  I would like it if I could make significant contributions to my field (research, program development, etc.).  And it would be kind of cool to encounter people in my field and have them say, "Hey, I recognize your name - you did such-and-such!"  But that's about as much fame as I'd like, I think.

When I was in high school there was part of me that wanted to be a singer, but even then I knew that it wasn't really a life I'd want to have.  

I enjoy being popular in my world (mainly school) where I'm the first choice of most teachers and students for filling in subbing.  It's nice when students see me in public and introduce me to their parents or when teachers pull hubby aside to fill him in on something they appreciate.  I enjoy when students return and tell me something they recall my teaching them (life lessons or academics).  I enjoy hearing stories other share with my boys (when they tell me).

But beyond that?  No.  I wouldn't want to travel places and be asked for autographs or pictures or anything of that sort.

I think what I like is knowing I've done my job well and others appreciate it - not being famous.

• Like 1

I would like to be well respected in my field someday. The conference I went to this fall gave me and the other student some fangirl moments, even our advisor had a few. Outside of academia, most of these people are non-famous. 

Paparazzi famous? No, I'd probably end up a hermit and be known for lashing out at a photographer. 

Author famous? That might be all right, but I need to actually publish something first. 

• Like 1

Count me in with those who say they'd like to be a famous author. I've often thought I'd love to be a famous author, especially a rich, famous author!

No one cares who an author is dating or where they live or what they're wearing to a bunch of stupid events. But, at the same time, you have that lovely connection with other people who love your work. I'd love that connection with people.

But only if everyone loved my writing and there were never any bad comments about me in any comment sections.

So...a well-beloved, rich author is the way to go.

• Like 2

Sidebar: I was saying to DH the other day how weird it is when someone like Taylor Swift is at an event in formal wear...it's so weird how they stand there, posed, while a million flashbulbs blink. To just stand there on display, cameras recording you and later People magazine ranking your dress or hair or shoes. It's bizarre. This I would not want.

But author? Selling millions of books? Yes, that is fine with me.

• Like 1

Sidebar: I was saying to DH the other day how weird it is when someone like Taylor Swift is at an event in formal wear...it's so weird how they stand there, posed, while a million flashbulbs blink. To just stand there on display, cameras recording you and later People magazine ranking your dress or hair or shoes. It's bizarre. This I would not want.

But author? Selling millions of books? Yes, that is fine with me.

Yes--that part must feel so awkward.  I hate it that they're judged by their hair and their clothes and makeup.  It's all so silly and wasteful.  They have to spend hundreds, if not thousands, on a single event so that they look good.  It's so shallow that it's mind boggling.  I would hate to be part of that.

• Like 1

Famous in the way that I could use the name-recognition to give my voice and opinions power, have the availability of contacts in high places, and use the clout to make improvements in certain areas of my community? It could be worth it for that.

But - a desire for the fame itself?  Not even a little bit. (I do see some appeal to being best-selling author-famous. You could sort of choose your noticeability... no paparazzi unless you're JK Rowling and mostly unrecognized except for a few random fans at a restaurant or bookstore... unless you go to a convention or something where you are intending to be noticed...)