Menu

random pointless question of the day...does the idea of being famous appeal to you?

SparklyUnicorn

No way. I've actually considered running for office and thought the better of it again and again. Civil service in appointed positions is as close as I am ever getting to public notoriety and I'm good with that.

I've never had a desire to be *famous,* and I'm quite happy to be my quiet, introverted self, but I would have *loved* to be an actress.  (I did as many school plays as possible!)  It still sounds appealing, just for the experience.  (I mean, how amazing would it be to have been in something like the Harry Potter movies or Lord of the Rings or even shows on Broadway?)  I don't have the looks or talent for it though. :P  I remember my parents asking me when I was about 6 if I would be interested in doing commercials, and I think I said yes, but nothing ever came of it.  I think I spent a day on Romper Room when I was 5, but that's about it. :laugh:)

Honestly, I do understand some of the appeal.  There is a part of me that would want to be famous - I like the idea of lots of people actually caring about me.  

But I do realize that it's not so much rainbows and unicorns, so rational me says "Hell no". Because even if there's something nice about it it's far outweighed by negatives. I think.

• Like 1

I really enjoy being able to run to the grocery store in slouchy clothes, no make up, and messy hair, without the fear of a tabloid cover photo being taken.  So no...lol.  

My girls and I often remark as we are standing in line at stores staring at the awful tabloid headlines that we are SO glad that we aren't famous.

• Like 1

I really enjoy being able to run to the grocery store in slouchy clothes, no make up, and messy hair, without the fear of a tabloid cover photo being taken.  So no...lol.  

My girls and I often remark as we are standing in line at stores staring at the awful tabloid headlines that we are SO glad that we aren't famous.

Perhaps the trick is to always dress in slouchy clothes, so you get your photo taken when you dress up, because it's unusual.

That's probably how it would work for me! LOL

• Like 2

There was a time when I would have said no.

Then this summer I met a best selling author. We spent the day together. She took me out to supper (she bought anything she wished-whereas I'm pinching pennies to go out for supper). No one knew who she was-yet she had the financial freedom to travel, gift others, purchase gifts for family, spend time.

Do I want to be famous? No. But if I could have the perks, and maintain some anonymity yes that would be great.

Edited by athomeontheprairie
  • Like 3

Well... sometimes.

It's hard to put into words.  My entire life I wanted to be famous.  I grew up feeling like I belonged on a stage.  

I honestly wanted nothing more than to make music and have the privilege of playing it on a stage.

Life happened.  I decided to get married early and start a family.  I don't regret that at all.

But I still love the stage.  The church we used to attend did musicals.  It was a good outlet to atleast be involved.  Over time I knew that it was the music that was what I really loved, and the stage was a byproduct of it.  The last year I focused on being the vocal director and only did one small part that they wanted me to do.  They stopped doing the musical; we stopped attending the church.  I think it's good that they stopped because otherwise I don't think I would have been able to leave - if I had, I would have had a really hard time during the musical seasons with everyone else doing it.  I would have missed it a LOT - as it was, this year (2 years since the last musical), the beginning of December was ridiculously difficult for me.  I have, I think, a touch of SADD (or maybe depression in general?) and it was just a hard couple of weeks those weeks that we used to be doing the performances.  

When I see live performances where people perform music, I cry.  We went and watched a musical production of Jonah last year and as the people were spinning around the stage and singing I couldn't get past the feeling that I belonged somewhere like this.  When I see bands play live, I can't help but feel a bit bittersweet about the fact that they are living out that dream.  

So I guess I can't say I necessarily want to be famous, any more (though in middle school, I imagined my dad being someone famous lol - byproduct of not knowing one's parentage, you can dream up these things lol), but more that I always saw it as a possible part of the life that I dreamed of.

• Like 1

Not me. At all. Ever....

Really glad to be a nobody.

But it seems plenty of people do not feel that way.

I do not even like my picture being taken by family.

Being famous in some public manner sounds like a nightmare from hell to me.

I'm not sure I could ever be successful in a career bc of this. It seems like even careers that people could just quietly excel at and even become wealthy doing no longer exist anymore.

There was a time when I would have said no.

Then this summer I met a best selling author. We spent the day together. She took me out to supper (she bought anything she wished-whereas I'm pinching pennies to go out for supper). No one knew who she was-yet she had the financial freedom to travel, gift others, purchase gifts for family, spend time.

Do I want to be famous? No. But if I could have the perks, and maintain some anonymity yes that would be great.

Oh! Not THAT I could like in my life!

Not me.  At all.  Ever....

Really glad to be a nobody. 

But it seems plenty of people do not feel that way.

Yes.  But I've missed my boat on that one now.  I'm okay with that.  I wasn't really in it for the fame at the time, and I was never famous, but it was nice to be known enough in the right circles to keep getting work and to get opportunities I never would have had otherwise.  That had a sense of security to it that was very nice. It also paid for my university education.   

I've met and known some truly famous people, though, and it is a hard thing to be A-list (or even B-list) famous.  It breaks a lot of people.  Either way, if I were ever to be famous, I would want it to be for an actual talent.  I am not enamoured of the "reality celebrity" phenomenon of people who are famous just for being famous.  That has no appeal to me whatsoever, and I don't quite understand why audiences are attracted to that kind of celebrity.  To each his own, I suppose.  There have been and will be stranger things still. 

• Like 2

It depends on your definition of 'famous'.

Do I want to be the next Justin Bieber or Gwenyth Paltrow? Nope, though, I think those kinds of famous people specifically look for and create that kind of attention and fame.

Do I want to be like one of those actors who you recognize, but never see in the papers? Yeah, I could go for that, I'm an extrovert, that could be fun, and the influence it would give me, to help people, would be huge. But it's not what I WANT. 

What I want is to be remembered. To be 'recognized' in my own community or scope of influence. To make a difference. 

There are funerals where family and friends attend, and then there are funerals where people throughout a persons life, people from their groups, their church, where they volunteer, families they influenced, people they cared for, attend. A lady died in our church this month, she was childless and either unmarried or widowed, I personally don't know. But her funeral was well attended. One of the notable groups of guests were grown adults who she taught as children in school as a teacher. She made such a big impact that some of them, as adults, remembered her enough to attend her funeral. To me, that's a kind of fame, and the kind I really want. 

• Like 1

Yesterday, I caught a bit of an interview with Jennifer Lawrence on Fresh Air. Terry Gross asked her about her decision process before she took the Hunger Games role when it was offered.  She said she had to take a few days to think about what being that famous would mean.  Before, she had done some indie movies and a little TV, but she knew HG would make her famous in a way none of those roles did.  She wondered if she would be able to visit her parents (and her parents did eventually have to move somewhere more private), would she be able to have a normal romantic relationship, kids, etc.  She finally decided that she is such a homebody that being famous would give her the perfect excuse not to go out.  She could say, "I'm too famous to go to X; you come over here instead."  She took the role, obviously.  She says it was because she loved the character, and she loves acting, though I suspect the money might also have had something to do with it.  Anyway, the point is that she sounded genuinely conflicted about the issue.

• Like 3

Yesterday, I caught a bit of an interview with Jennifer Lawrence on Fresh Air. Terry Gross asked her about her decision process before she took the Hunger Games role when it was offered. She said she had to take a few days to think about what being that famous would mean. Before, she had done some indie movies and a little TV, but she knew HG would make her famous in a way none of those roles did. She wondered if she would be able to visit her parents (and her parents did eventually have to move somewhere more private), would she be able to have a normal romantic relationship, kids, etc. She finally decided that she is such a homebody that being famous would give her the perfect excuse not to go out. She could say, "I'm too famous to go to X; you come over here instead." She took the role, obviously. She says it was because she loved the character, and she loves acting, though I suspect the money might also have had something to do with it. Anyway, the point is that she sounded genuinely conflicted about the issue.

I heard that, too, and thought of it when I saw this thread!  I could relate to the bit about having an excuse to not go places -- hah!  

Dd is reaching a point where people are starting to say she might want to consider pursuing a career in performance, and one of my objections would be the "fame" business.  But, yeah, Jennifer Lawrence had thoughtful points to make about it.

As for me, I'd rather be like Rubik of Rubik's cube, who I also heard interviewed yesterday.  People know the name, but I doubt they know the face.

(Edited because my iPad was spastic about formatting this post.)

Edited by GailV
  • Like 1