Menu

anybodys dc take karate/martial arts

My kids have been taking tae kwon do for going on eight years. Decent sparring gear is around $100 per person. Uniforms vary - for new students, you should be able to get something for less that $25. As they progress, the uniforms get more expensive, for wear and for comfort. Right now, I pay about $75 per uniform. Tests for those under black belt in our school are $40 per test. They test at a quick rate for the first few belts, but once they're in mid-belt range it slows WAY down. After black belt (this took my sons 5 years to achieve), the testing fee is $100 per test, but they can only test every couple of years. My older sons are just now (two years later) able to consider testing for their second-degree black belt.

Our monthly fee is reduced based on my older sons (black belts) helping with classes as needed (NOT teaching classes) and helping with events and demonstrations. I could not afford for my four sons to attend this school if we did not make ourselves available for this sort of thing. We have been with our intructor since he opened his studio and because we have four kids (to fill up a class) we've always received a reduced rate. I don't feel right sharing what we pay but I will say it's just below $300 for 4 kids.

For me, the biggest thing to look for is a yearly contract - what does it include? I'm not opposed to a contract - people have to stay in business, but what are the extras? Some schools have extra "special" classes and such that should send up red flags, imo. Talk to other parents and other students. Are there a lot of VERY young black belts? For me this is an immediate NO GO . A black belt should mean the world to the person that owns it. It shouldn't be given simply on the basis of showing up and paying test fees. Are parents involved? At our school a lot of parents take classes with or alongside their kids. There is a real family investment in the program. I don't take classes (glass ankles here) but I'm there and ready to help. We have a good mix of wimpy parents, like me, and gung-ho parents that take classes. But, over and over again, I hear when I talk to the other parents that they don't want something just handed to their kids.

You can pm me if you have other questions. Tae Kwon Do has been wonderful for my sons. Really wonderful. I hope you can have the same experience.

My 3 oldest guys attend a free TKD class weekly at a church.

We have to drive about 30 minutes, but even w/ gas prices the way they are, that's still darn cheap for 3 boys.

They have to buy a [no logo] gi for $25 each.

That's it.

We don't pay for belt tests or equipment.

They don't have "regular" belt tests --nobody goes through a belt test unless the instructors are pretty darn confident the person is ready to pass the test.

But i do realize our situation and opportunity is unique :D

Amy has a lot of good points for evaluating a program. Some programs charge exorbitant fees for "black belt track" or "leadership track" etc that is basically a contract for the long haul and often the owner/instructors are not even a 2+ level black belt let alone a black belt at all... in fact, in my area there are a couple of schools that charge almost twice what my Sensei charges (she is getting ready to test for 4th degree and her husband is a 3rd degree) and they don't have black belts. Look for a school that is family oriented. Also, a school that promises a black belt in 2 yrs probably isn't the best school. For an adult in our style, it takes about 3 years minimum to reach black belt WITHOUT credentials and 4 years to be black belt WITH credentials (a certificate of achievement). For the kids, unless they start at 13, it can be up to 6 years or more before they are even eligible for black belt. Black belt comes with responsibilities of leadership and self discipline. It should only be for those who work for it. I pay less than $200 for myself and my 2 older children per month. The first gi is included. We don't use sparring gear unless we take the enrichment (included in our tuition) sparring class then the equipment is extra. In the summer Sensei runs a weapons class and the cost is just equipment unless you can make your own. For example, the last 2 years she did a bo class. I made my own for $10.

Belt tests are $35 3xs per year because there are about a hundred and 30 students testing at the same time so they rent a school gym and pay several high rank black belts in our style to come help administer the test, etc.

My 17yo and 8yo take Tae Kwon Do -- my 17yo for almost 3 years and my 8yo for 2 years.

The first uniform (and the first week of lessons) was free. Classes meet 3 nights a week, for an hour, and that's $60.00 per month, per child. Promotions (which happen every 2-3 months) are $25.00 each.

Sparring equipment, which I've only had to buy once for each of them, ran about $100.00, but our instructor told us not to buy them until they each had earned their yellow belt and they were going to stick with TKD.

My kids participate in one tournament each year, which is another $50.00 for each of them (but attendance is totally optional -- my kids really enjoy it though, so they never want to miss the annual tournament!)

Oh! And once my oldest is a black belt, which should happen this Spring, we will no longer pay for her lessons because she'll be an instructor at the school and it's considered a 'fringe benefit'.

Ours is similar to others - dd started Kyuki-do at age 11 - after 16 months she has a blue-striped green belt and is almost half-way, belt-wise to black...BUT it is slowing down and getting harder. The studio estimates the average time is four years for a black belt. The instructor - son of the founder/owner of the studio (we attend the Kyuki-do headquarters - founded 40 years ago in our town) has a 5th degree belt. We are in a contract that covers unlimited classes, including weapons/sparring (which dd loves) and judo for kids (which she dropped - didn't like having to sit on boys and vs-versa!!!) plus, once she is 14, she can add kick-boxing. Belt tests start at $20 for lower belts- now are $40 for med-range belts, and should go higher as the belts do, too. I pay $200 a month - higher than I would like, but this is a quality, established program.

http://martialartselgin.com/

Oh - they just put up a new website!

http://kyuki-do.com/kbba/Default.aspx?Page=Instructors

ok - here is the link to the founder and my dd's instructor - Master Jeff Kim.

My boys take Karate. Since I choose to pay on a 6 month basis, I get a bit of a price break. For my 2 boys, it is $880 for six months. That works out to just under $74 per child. They can take as many classes per week as they can. We usually get 3 to 4 classes in (one is a leadership class.)

Their new Leadership gi's were $70 a piece (but these are really heavy duty cotton and their names were embroidered on.) The regular class gi's are about $35 (but the first ones are included with the class fee.)

Belt testing fees depend on the rank. Early belt tests are about $25. In the early years, they can progress maybe 2 belts a year if they attend a lot of classes and are good. But, it is more common to take 9 - 12 months. For the upper level ranks, it can take 2 years or more to be ready to test for a belts. The brown and black belt tests are over $100, but since they are cumulative, they can take 4 - 8 hours depending on the rank.

As far as other equipment goes, the sparring gear is about $100. Our studio doesn't do as much sparring as others. We lost a couple good sparring instructors, so there hasn't been as much emphasis. Weapons are required for upper level belts. The class weapons run about $20-30 a weapon. Competition weapons can run about $60 - $100 a weapon. The upper ranks usually have 2 -3 weapons. Since my boys were picked for this leadership class, they will be required to have a variety of weapons. However, we were told that we can acquire them slowly.

Another cost is competition fees. Our studio requires 1 - 2 competitions a year. For kids who are not that into competitions, the have an in-house competition about once a year. Depending on how many events they enter, these can run between $45 and $80, not including travel. Our family usually does 2 - 3 competitions a year and we typically enter local ones (under 2 - 3 hours drive.) Other families travel everywhere, but their kids are more elite competitors.

Thanks SO MUCH for all the info. We are doing a trial month ($59 for the month and the uniform) and they just sat down with us last night about prices. I thought it was high and after reading all your responses, I think I was right!

For the 2 boys, it is $200 down, $300 EACH for sparring equipment, and $200/month. I think I'll start looking around!

Thanks again for all the responses!

I'm in Southern CA, and this is a fairly typical price here. What's not typical is that our $135 per month is for unlimited classes. We usually go three times per week, but could go to classes six days a week if DS wanted to. We have a variety of classes; regular karate, sparring, weapons training, higher level belt training.

The sparring gear was around $85, but that was a one-time price. Weapons have been around $15 each (DS has learned nunchuk, bo, and kama)

Michelle T

We pay $80/month/individual (there is also a $140/month family rate for up to four family members) for group instruction three days per week at our local mixed martial arts school. The gi is included in that cost, as are belt tests. Competitions are optional and are offered a handful of times throughout the year; that cost is additional, and ranges from $35 to $100 depending on who is hosting it.

Our coach offers a weeklong trial (no gi) to see if the sport (and school) are a good fit for the family. I think that is entirely reasonable expectation on the family's part - no trial should cost money!

Thanks SO MUCH for all the info. We are doing a trial month ($59 for the month and the uniform) and they just sat down with us last night about prices. I thought it was high and after reading all your responses, I think I was right!

For the 2 boys, it is $200 down, $300 EACH for sparring equipment, and $200/month. I think I'll start looking around!

OUCH!!!!!!! Whoa!

I didn't feel comfortable posting how much we're paying, because, well, just because. But *that* is very high. I hope you can find something more reasonable.

That strikes me as high. I'm also reluctant to enter into contracts. It is one thing if there is a contract option that might save me $10-20 a month. It would be a warning flag if an annual option were the only choice.

Our instructor is very good and has had several students on the junior national team and he was able to coach one student at the Olympics (Marshall Islands). We pay about $250 for three students (it is prorated for additional student in the family).

The kids continued to wear uniforms from their old school until they outgrew them. Uniforms are nice quality and cost about $35 for a child's size. Tests are scheduled as a student or group of students is ready, not based on a calendar schedule (this is an important thing to me).

Sparring is optional, but is included in the monthly price. We were given sparring equipment by a family that had bought a larger set. Before that, kids were able to use sparring gear from an equipment chest. Also, sparring is open to young students, but they need to be yellow belt and they are paired up according to size and ability.

I think that there is a cost for a higher quality program. We have good mats on top of a sprung floor, mirrors on two sides, five heavy bags and lots of paddles and shields for practice. These are some of the items that were missing at the class we took in a school gym. I think that they help the class be better training and safer (time floors at a community center are hard). And there is a cost to the school to provide this.

On the other hand, there are schools that are much more interested in money making than on high quality training. It is hard to spot, but if it doesn't feel right, then go with your gut. Or ask if you can start out month to month to make sure that the kids really have an interest. If you still feel pressured to sign on long term or buy lots of equipment, then you were probably right in the first place.

Well our only options were a 6 month or 2 year contract. If you do the 6 months, your only option after that is the 2 years.

However, my 11 yo's b-day party is tonight and one of the moms was telling me about their program. It is $40/month per child and you buy the uniform for around $35 and their new belts as they earn them. They have been there 3 years and love it. I think we will try it out next week. It sounds much more reasonable. The contract scares me off. I mean my boys have only been there a month. Sure they are all gung ho now, but what happens if 3 months from now they deceide they are done.....then I am stuck paying for 2 years.

Well our only options were a 6 month or 2 year contract. If you do the 6 months, your only option after that is the 2 years.

However, my 11 yo's b-day party is tonight and one of the moms was telling me about their program. It is $40/month per child and you buy the uniform for around $35 and their new belts as they earn them. They have been there 3 years and love it. I think we will try it out next week. It sounds much more reasonable. The contract scares me off. I mean my boys have only been there a month. Sure they are all gung ho now, but what happens if 3 months from now they deceide they are done.....then I am stuck paying for 2 years.

The contract thing would scare me, too. We've been going to this school for just about two years now, and very few of the people who were there when we started are still there -- I don't think it's even 10%. And it isn't a matter of skill -- some *very good* kids have quit.

Even the instructors will tell you that most people lose interest after the first six months or so. Kids, especially -- who know what is going to light them up in a few months? I am, frankly, amazed that my son has held interest for as long as he has. I really didn't expect it.

I've been blasted before when I've complained about prices and fees. I fully support the right of any business owner to set his/her own fees. But I also fully support *my* right to move on down the road when they've priced themselves out of my ability to pay them.

Taekwondo can get expensive -- aside from the monthly cost, there are testing and equipment fees, and if you want to do tournaments you have the entry fees and the travel, as well. We have a wonderful school and awesome instructors -- and they work hard to make sure the costs aren't prohibitive. Many charges that other schools "pad" -- our school does not.

When it came time for my son to start sparring, there was no way we could afford his equipment, and we figured that would just be something he wouldn't be able to do. But what I didn't know was that when people get their black belts, they buy new sparring equipment and donate their old stuff back for people who need it. When he's finished with it, we will be doing the same.

I have had the opportunity to meet many people who attend other schools, but are in our area because they are on vacation or the kids are visiting Grandma, so they come for a class or two. Over and over I hear how lucky we are to have our school and how impressed people are with the way it is run. The one thing I hear over and over again is "it's all about the money." Well -- yeah -- business *is* all about the money! Why have a business if you don't want to make a profit? But there's a choice to be made as to whether you want to make a little money from five students, or a lot from one. :)

I think I'm in a very unusual situation, but my girls study Shorin Ryu through an organization that just charges for room rental. We've rented rooms at a dance studio, empty office building and church before. Right now we're $15.00 a month per student. I can't say enough good things about the training they're receiving. I feel very, very fortunate reading what some of you are paying.

Oh, we do have to buy the ...ghi??? and pay for regionals, but again it is minimal.

Janet