Menu

So...mono. Just in time for finals week.

unsinkable

Rest. That's really about it. Movies, books, and honor their food requests, because you just want to see them eat something. My dd lost weight when she had it. It's hard to see them so tired.

It is hard.

I get on my gerbil wheel of worry when my kids are sick.

Right now, I'm like...his spleen...his spleen...what about his spleen.

• Like 1

When I had mono I don't believe I ever really got my health back. Seriously. I let myself get too run down and I don't know that in 31 years I have ever felt as healthy as I did previously. I really just kept going and going. I missed a few days of school and didn't do PE for a few weeks, but that wasn't enough. I don't know what would have made it better, though. Let the boy sleeeep.

• Like 1

I was a freshman in college and went back way too soon. I never was the same after, sick all the time for years. Frequent strep throats which I had never hed before mono. Keep the boy on rest mode way beyond the required time. I ended up with mono at least two more times and never learned to really rest to recover.

I had mono in college as well, and I just want to say that it doesn't always have to be debilitating.  I drove back from the beach over spring break with my throat so swollen that you could see the swelling from the outside.  My mom called the doctor as soon as I walked in on Sunday.  He met met me at the ER where he gave me a mono test and admitted me to the hospital because he was afraid my throat would swell shut.  The hospital gave me a steroid IV, the swelling went down, and I went home the next morning (Monday) and drove back to school on Tuesday.  I was fine ever after.  Every time mono comes up on this board, I wonder why my experience was so easy-peazy compared to others'.  The steroids, maybe?  My superior physical and moral constitution?  (Kidding!)  I walked all over campus for classes, as this was before schools put in shuttles; I worked in an office after school.  I really was fine when I went back to class on Tuesday.  Now, I had been sick all week at the beach for several days, not realizing it was mono, but it didn't get really bad until the day I drove home.  

I hope your son also recovers quickly and is good to go when classes start back in January.

Contact the instructors and request an Incomplete!!!

This is designed precisely for students who fall seriously ill during the last few weeks of classes and cannot complete a course in which they have otherwise good standing. The specific rules depend on the college. At our school, instructors can give an Incomplete if the student gets ill after the deadline to drop the course is passed and is unable to complete the course; a contract is drawn up listing what assignments remain to be completed, and the student has one year to submit these assignments/complete exams to finish the course - so all the work he put into the class is "saved", and he does not have to repeat.

• Like 4

How is he feeling?  For example, when my daughter had it as a high school senior around first semester finals, she felt she could keep up with her classes as long as she did nothing else.  She slept, studied, and slept.  As long as she did that, she really felt quite fine.

But if your son feels he can't keep up doing that, I would think he could talk to his professors and see what they can work out. 

One thing I remember is that my daughter starting feeling a lot better before her body really was better (this was after finals).  So, she began running and working part-time again too soon.  And then relapsed.

This is the daughter who also had shingles last month during her last semester at college!  Thankfully, she managed okay.

• Like 1

How does he feel? I've known people who seemed to not be terribly affected by it, but I was so weak I had to crawl to the bathroom. I couldn't even stay awake to watch tv, I just slept, crawled to the bathroom, and ate whatever my parents or little brother made me to eat. I was like a newborn! lol He should definitely take it easy long after he feels recovered (it took me six months to be totally back to normal and I was a healthy teenage varsity soccer player), though.

Thank you all for the kind words.

I have a minute for a quick update.

He's really sick. He's having a hard time staying hydrated. It took 3 tries to start an IV the night he was diagnosed. He is either in bed or curled up on couch with his eyes closed. I'm trying to push fluids as much as possible.

I talked to vice chair of his dept and he's getting incompletes. Things are a bit complicated bc he is in the meat and potatoes classes of his major and needs to finish a couple classes before he can take next semesters classes. The incompletes do buy him a few weeks.

I appreciate all responses!