Menu

s/o Non-Muslims Supporting Muslims

linders

I am speechless and heartbroken. Tonight my area's county council voted 7-2 passing a resolution to keep refugees from Syria from settling in the county. 

This is the Deep South, and I am a "Left Coast" transplant. Since we moved here 6 years ago, I have been struck repeatedly by the conservative Christian rhetoric here, where being a Christian isn't enough, you need to be the "right" denomination. But we have tried to integrate peacefully, gently expressing disagreement with conservative views when forced to discuss them (gay marriage is a biggie).

But this vote. I cannot be gentle. Tomorrow I will be at a meeting where many will laud this act as a stand for Christianity and America and apple pie. I cannot sit there and say nothing.

I have already told DH that this is the last straw, the house goes on the market and we move. I cannot abide people congratulating themselves on how Biblical they are when they turn away their neighbor in need.

• Like 29

I appreciate your efforts in a place where it is difficult to have your opinion. I am fortunate to live in a state where the governor is welcoming to refugees and more people show up to rally for refugees than against.

It's very worrisome to watch the xenophobia that is boiling around in so many places. I fear for our future if that's a majority view.

• Like 7

Anytime I am with a group predominantly opposed to the values I hold most precious, I leave. Perhaps putting your house on the market is a good thing for you. Political correctness has never been a Southern virtue, at least in my family's time there which we have traced back about 250 years. It is a vibrant, endearing culture for most, but can be quite constraining for those unable to accept it.

We have a bunch of local yocals who feel the same $^$&^ way and are pressuring our county commissioners to vote a resolution to the same effect and this is how I feel about it  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: !

I don't think these people read the same gospel I do which seems to be all about kindness, compassion, love, caring, and getting off your butt and taking care of those in need. I don't know where they get their bibles but I think they got the ones that edited Jesus right out of them or something.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/11/19/9760060/refugees-history-holocaust

Makes me sick to my stomach.

• Like 3

So much for being a Good Samaritan :-/. I guess THAT story doesn't apply. I think it's a simple and childish maneuver to feel safe in an uncertain world. There is no religion or race of people you can ban to make yourself safer. Danger and evil come in every form. In this case it's a pack of angry fundamentalists.

• Like 4

I am in the good ole South too and the largest city near us just voted to welcome refugees from Syria in contrast to the guv'nor who doesn't want them. The folks on the city council aren't exactly in sync with the rest of the state, but good for them. 

ETA: typo

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 6

Yep, I got to listen to a bunch of racist bigots in Hardee's the other morning...here in the good old South.

I'm in a state where our governor said he won't accept Syrian refugees. I got to listen to two strangers argue while sitting in a waiting room this afternoon. The tv was on playing a local all news channel and mentioned refugees. A man started talking about how all Muslims need to be kept out or "sent back" (as if no Muslims are American citizens). A woman sitting across from him vehemently disagreed. Both were Christians but it was the man who brought that up. He said they don't believe in Jesus and they shouldn't be accepted and you can't convince him that "they" are peaceful people. The woman said if he can talk like that he shouldn't call himself a Christian because he doesn't understand a thing about being one. I was glad to hear someone fight back against bigots (I was across the room so nowhere near them, but their argument was quite loud).

• Like 6

Anytime I am with a group predominantly opposed to the values I hold most precious, I leave. Perhaps putting your house on the market is a good thing for you. Political correctness has never been a Southern virtue, at least in my family's time there which we have traced back about 250 years. It is a vibrant, endearing culture for most, but can be quite constraining for those unable to accept it.

I really hate how the term "political correctness" is thrown about.

That aside, treating those in need with love and kindness should be a virtue everywhere, and I see no reason why those of us in the south should be expected to let bigotry and ignorance reign unchallenged.

• Like 8

So much for being a Good Samaritan :-/. I guess THAT story doesn't apply.

You're right.  We should take the example of the Samaritan, who was lauded by Jesus Christ as kind to a stranger, and in the same way help bind their wounds where they are found and then find them shelter--helping to pay their expenses--in a place other than our own home, continuing to offer assistance to those who are helping them THERE. 

Is that the story you mean?

Btw, I'm not against allowing refugees in at all.  I just question whether it's the wisest option, on many levels, for all involved.  I don't make choices based only upon what will make me feel better about myself, though.

• Like 1

I don't even understand how they have the authority to do that.  Although I suppose best to be upfront about their views rather than place people in an area where they'd be potentially harassed.

If you're talking about various governors, I don't think they do. So far courts have said states can't refuse refugees. That hasn't stopped leaders from governors down to local mayors from saying NIMBY.

• Like 3

I don't even understand how they have the authority to do that. Although I suppose best to be upfront about their views rather than place people in an area where they'd be potentially harassed.

They don't. Once a refugee is admitted they do not have to seek permission to travel or take up residence from local governments. It is purely grandstanding.

• Like 4

You're right.  We should take the example of the Samaritan, who was lauded by Jesus Christ as kind to a stranger, and in the same way help bind their wounds where they are found and then find them shelter--helping to pay their expenses--in a place other than our own home, continuing to offer assistance to those who are helping them THERE. 

Is that the story you mean?

Btw, I'm not against allowing refugees in at all.  I just question whether it's the wisest option, on many levels, for all involved.  I don't make choices based only upon what will make me feel better about myself, though.

The Good Samaritan didn't send money via messenger and keep his distance.  He touched the man, cared for his wounds, and saw that he was looked after even though he had to continue on his travels.  Had this happened on his doorstep, I've no doubt he would have brought the man into his home, but he was on the road himself.  The man wasn't fit enough to travel without risking death. The point is he did all he could with the resources he had.  These refugee families ARE fit enough to travel and desperate to find a safe place to raise their children.

Nobody is suggesting you clear out your guest room, but this is a big and relatively safe country.  The countries that are geographically closer are overwhelmed and need help with the flood of refugees.  I don't think we are more deserving of safety and security because we were lucky enough to be born here.  Imagine spending your whole life in your home country, getting married and having children, living near your elderly parents, just living your life working and cooking and loving your family.  Now imagine that some horrible countrymen of yours that you don't know make life so dangerous and unbearable that you literally have to escape with your babies and the clothes on your back.  Can you imagine someone denying you a safe harbor because they think all Christians are just like Timothy McVay or are Klan members?????

Most of us are here because someone made the hard decision to leave their homeland so that future generations would have a chance to raise their children in peace, to freely practice their religion, and build a better life.  We're not more deserving of that chance just because 100 years has passed and our memories are short.  Those refuges are just like us . . . mothers and fathers and kids just doing the best they can. Try to imagine your children's lives are in immediate danger because someone decides your family is just like the Crips.  The very idea is ludicrous.

I don't think now is the time to hang the "No Colored" signs on the water fountains, or the "We Don't Hire Irish" signs in the shop windows.  It's not right to say that Jews should live in Israel and not New York.  America has to be better than that.  WE have to be better than that.  Life will never be fair, but it's just cruel to actively try to prevent people from getting the help they need.  The fact that the occasional refugee will commit a crime, even a heinous one, is no reason to turn away the majority of desperate and terrified people.  They ARE the huddled masses just like we were several generations ago.  They are US.  THESE are the neighbors we're supposed to love like we love ourselves and believing we are better people makes us worse people.

6packoffun, this whole speech isn't aimed at you directly.  I'm sure you are a decent person.  It's just that one of DH's co-workers lost 16 family members in one week.  He's an American.  His family didn't ALL immigrate with him a decade ago.  His children are natural born Americans.  The kids are struggling to understand why they can't just buy a ticket and fly their surviving family members over before they get killed too. It's so desperately sad.

• Like 10

It's a worthless resolution because immigration isn't controlled by local governments and they can't regulate who moves into their town.

I am speechless and heartbroken. Tonight my area's county council voted 7-2 passing a resolution to keep refugees from Syria from settling in the county.

This is the Deep South, and I am a "Left Coast" transplant. Since we moved here 6 years ago, I have been struck repeatedly by the conservative Christian rhetoric here, where being a Christian isn't enough, you need to be the "right" denomination. But we have tried to integrate peacefully, gently expressing disagreement with conservative views when forced to discuss them (gay marriage is a biggie).

But this vote. I cannot be gentle. Tomorrow I will be at a meeting where many will laud this act as a stand for Christianity and America and apple pie. I cannot sit there and say nothing.

I have already told DH that this is the last straw, the house goes on the market and we move. I cannot abide people congratulating themselves on how Biblical they are when they turn away their neighbor in need.

• Like 1

They don't. Once a refugee is admitted they do not have to seek permission to travel or take up residence from local governments. It is purely grandstanding.

Our state has ordered that state agencies refuse to process aid applications for Syrian refugees. So now there's a mom and dad and 4 year old boy here with no food or... The governor is setting us up for an expensive equal protection lawsuit in order to grandstand. I made the mistake of reading the comments in the local newspaper article. The venom and hatred makes my stomach turn.

Our state has ordered that state agencies refuse to process aid applications for Syrian refugees. So now there's a mom and dad and 4 year old boy here with no food or... The governor is setting us up for an expensive equal protection lawsuit in order to grandstand. I made the mistake of reading the comments in the local newspaper article. The venom and hatred makes my stomach turn.

Wow. And yeah your state will get crushed if that goes to court.

• Like 1

So, all of this hateful rhetoric and callousness towards refugees has propelled me to get off my butt. I signed up to attend a volunteer orientation meeting at my local World Relief office. The meeting is free, and only lasts two hours, and after that you are eligible to volunteer with them as needed/wanted. Our office has a Facebook page, and is constantly posting pictures and stories of the refugees that are resettled right here in my area. They will post things like, "We have a family coming in tonight, and we need a wheelchair, does anyone have one?" "Is there anyone available to tutor some refugee children in English once a week?" "We have some newly arrived women who are illiterate and would like to learn to read, can anyone help them?" "We need help moving furniture into an apartment quickly, can anyone help?" "Or, a family is arriving tonight and their apartment isn't ready, would anyone be willing to open their home to them?"

And you would not believe all the positive responses they get! :) Church groups, ANY group or familiy (I think) can "sponsor" a new refugee family for the 4 months that they are in the program, and you just promise that someone will visit them weekly, help them with settling in, filling out forms, where to shop, doctors appointments, questions, etc. and maybe even have a meal together, play games and just make them feel welcome.

So, if you have a World Relief office nearby, some of you might be interested in volunteering :) Especially if you live in a place where the whackjobs are interfering with funding for resettlement...

https://worldrelief.org/us-offices

This is their Mission Statement, that I'm sharing, because I'm just so happy that a group like this exists, especially in this current climate- and I never knew it existed until Ann Voskamp posted that blog about helping the refugees:

"We believe God has equipped the church - the most diverse social network on the planet - to be at the center of these stories, leveraging time, energy and resources to join the vulnerable in their time of need.

We practice principles of transformational development to empower local churches in the United States and around the world so they can serve the vulnerable in their communities. With initiatives in education, health, child development, agriculture, food security, anti-trafficking, immigrant services, micro-enterprise, disaster response and refugee resettlement, we work holistically with the local church to stand for the sick, the widow, the orphan, the alien, the displaced, the devastated, the marginalized, and the disenfranchised.

In our own backyard and around the globe, we stand with individuals and communities through the process of healing, reconciliations, transformation and empowerment."

• Like 5