Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW49: cookish, bookish news and birthdays

Robin M

Does anyone have any book suggestions for a 14yo girl? She dances a lot (classical, jazz, tap), is a good student, likes art, and that is all I know about her despite the fact that she is my niece. ...

Perhaps she'd enjoy Carol Strickland's The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern  which is recommended by Susan Wise Bauer in the WTM. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier today (between bouts of working on our holiday letter), I finished Melissa F. Olson's paranormal romance  Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic).  I enjoyed it, and I am eager to read more by this author.  It's the second in a series beginning with Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic), and I recommend reading that book first.

About Bounday Lines:

"Fitting into the Old World isn’t going very well for Boulder boundary witch Allison “Lex†Luther: she may have earned a place in a vampire’s service, but now it seems as if every supernatural creature in town has found a reason to hate her. And when Lex and her partner are assigned to investigate the suspicious disappearance of two vampires during the night of the full moon, they find themselves with more questions than answers.

Was it murder…or mutiny?

The crusade for answers will lead Lex all over the Colorado Old World, from a prison cell for a broken werewolf to a haunted Denver brothel. And when Lex determines the responsible party, the hunt is just beginning: something has been awakened in Boulder, something as old and powerful as it is terrifying. Only the woman with death in her blood can stop what’s coming."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Does anyone have any book suggestions for a 14yo girl? She dances a lot (classical, jazz, tap), is a good student, likes art, and that is all I know about her despite the fact that she is my niece. Which feels really strange but I only see her a few times a year and she has zero interest in getting to know each other and I have respected that. So I guess at books she might like each year. I think she reads for fun, but isn,t a bookworm, so anything I give her has to be quick and absorbing.

Nan

When I was 14 and danced a lot (couldn't decide between ballet and violin), I loved reading autobiographies of dancers. I loved studying the photos, and mostly just loved reading about the behind-the-scenes daily life of dancers. And I loved getting "grown up" books (there was no YA fiction back in the day!!) A couple that have caught my eye in recently include Misty Copeland's Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina and Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina by Michaela De Prince who was born in Sierra Leon and is now a principal with the Dutch National Ballet.

Maria Tallchief's memoir, Maria Tallchief: America's Prima Ballerina is fascinating. A Native American born in Oklahoma, she became a principal of the New York City Ballet and was briefly married to George Balanchine. 

My most cherished book as a teen was Margot Fonteyn's autobiography. She was the long time star of the Royal Ballet who danced through her 40s, often partnered by the young Rudolf Nureyev. 

• Like 8

Mid year on should be great. Our travel plans have no dates yet. I think anytime from mid April on should be fine. I just want to be home and a bit organized! I see from your schedule you plan for our reading to be in England (at least partially) in April....maybe.....if you want me to I can try and be ready. I hope to do a bit of reading first and try a couple of recommendations that I have never gotten around to. :lol:

Let's shoot for mid May so you aren't pressed and stressed. I'm quite flexible and don't have a strict deadline for posts. Honestly, Half the time, I'm making up posts last minute, having no idea what I'm going to do until sit down at the key board. Which is why the monthly themes and author flavors have been so helpful. Just like homeschooling on the fly, when our kiddos discover something and want to discuss so we go off on rabbit trails, rather than sticking with the schedule.

• Like 7

When I was 14 and danced a lot (couldn't decide between ballet and violin), I loved reading autobiographies of dancers. I loved studying the photos, and mostly just loved reading about the behind-the-scenes daily life of dancers. And I loved getting "grown up" books (there was no YA fiction back in the day!!) A couple that have caught my eye in recently include Misty Copeland's Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina and Taking Flight: From War Orphan to Star Ballerina by Michaela De Prince who was born in Sierra Leon and is now a principal with the Dutch National Ballet.

Maria Tallchief's memoir, Maria Tallchief: America's Prima Ballerina is fascinating. A Native American born in Oklahoma, she became a principal of the New York City Ballet and was briefly married to George Balanchine.

My most cherished book as a teen was Margot Fonteyn's autobiography. She was the long time star of the Royal Ballet who danced through her 40s, often partnered by the young Rudolf Nureyev.

Jenn, I did, too! I had forgotten all about that! ...sandbags to immobilize the head... Thanks!

Nan

• Like 7

Jane... thanks for the mention of The Frozen Thames. I'll have to look that one up & see if my library has it. It makes me think of one of the scenes in Virginia Woolf's Orlando....

Helen Humphreys gives a nod to Orlando in The Frozen Thames which is simply an exquisite book. Crstarlette, you may want to see if your library as a copy too. Breathtakingly beautiful writing.

The Frozen Thames is a series of very short stories written in the first person over time. Most of the stories are based on historic incidents occurring on or near the frozen Thames, something that we shall never see due to the re-engineering of the Thames and climate change. It offers a meditation on ice, on how the transformation of liquid to a solid leaves its mark on people and history.

I am grateful to the clever librarian who placed this book at the front of the library in a seasonal book display.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 9

Warning:  this post is about baking not books. 

Blame it on Mumto2!  Earlier in the week, she provided a link to an article featuring some British Bake Off recipes including a recipe that caught my eye.  Forget the cakes!  I decided to try my hand at a Croatian yeast risen sweet bread called Povitica.  I have been looking for something to make as a special gift item for a family member--this looked perfect.

The recipe given in the link uses the metric system so I Googled for an alternative.  Saveur had one that looked very straight forward. Before making the gift loaf, I had to try it, right?  So this morning I made the dough.  As it was rising, I thought it might be smart to look at the comments.  A typo?  Indeed there is.  When rolling out the dough, one makes a rectangle measuring ten inches by four feet--not four inches.  Four feet!

Hmmm...I am wondering what other recipes suggest.  I find Paul Hollywood of British Bake Off fame has a Povitica recipe on the BBC website. Equipment needed includes a clean sheet.  What?

Step 5 in the instructions reads:

To assemble, spread a clean bed sheet over a kitchen table and dust with flour. Turn the risen dough out onto the sheet and roll out the dough into a large 50x30cm/20x12in rectangle. Brush the surface with 15g/½oz melted butter.

But that 20 by 12 inch rectangle is not sufficient.  Proceed to step 6:

Dust your hands with flour and ease them underneath the dough. Using the backs of your hands, stretch the dough out from the centre until very thin and translucent (you should be able to see the sheet through the dough). The rectangle should measure approximately 1metrex60cm/40x24in.

Now he ends up with four small swirls in his fancy loaf as opposed to the single swirl I hope to create.

At this point I call my husband at work to report that I am in a British Bake Off technical challenge and expect to be at the bottom of the pack.

Then I roll out the dough.

It works beautifully into a 10 inch by four foot rectangle.  I spread the walnut filling. Now I am ready to roll the four feet into a tight Swiss Roll like shape to fit into a loaf pan.

The dough sticks.

I get out my bench scraping tool to loosen the sticky spots.  Some behave nicer than others. 

The dough makes it into the loaf pan and I call it a disaster.  It rises, I bake it and--voila--it is positively gorgeous.  I have yet to cut into it though for the moment of truth.  That comes after dinner tonight.  Stay tuned.

• Like 12

Trying to jump back in for a minute to answer questions but I'm on a deadline so my mind is a bit muddled.  Forgive me if I miss something.

Nan - re: Muffins -  The muffins in the book range from super fancy like the kind you'd get from a coffee shop (and that I make a little note beside in my books that says ... too much work) to the type that you can whip up in 35 minutes from start to finish and involves clean up.  Recipes for hearty healthy muffins and muffins to go as a side with dinner and muffins that are closer to cupcakes than muffins are included. 

Amy - historical or detective fiction 

And write up something for one of the sunday posts.  Do I have any takers?

I am so excited about this!  I will PM you when I have it ready.  Yay!

Did I miss the post with the title? 

How to be a Victorian by Ruth Goodman

It was fantastic.  It starts with life as soon as you get out of bed and goes to the evening and even includes a section on "behind the bedroom doors".  Incredibly interesting.  It includes all members of society not just those ladies of Flufferton Abbey. 

• Like 7

The dough makes it into the loaf pan and I call it a disaster.  It rises, I bake it and--voila--it is positively gorgeous.  I have yet to cut into it though for the moment of truth.  That comes after dinner tonight.  Stay tuned.

My best friend and I have talked about trying to make Povatica but never have.  We're both good cooks but it seems intimidating.  She's made it before with a friend (about 20+ years ago when they were kids) and said it was an incredible amount of work.  Depending on the results of your taste tests tonight I might convince her we should try it. 

• Like 8

I saw the doctors this afternoon for my 2 (and a half) week check-up.  They were absolutely thrilled with my healing and how well I am doing.  Everything looks perfect in there.  I've been following the instructions to the letter and spending most of my time in bed because I am determined to heal up and have no problems ever again.  They showed me my pathology report.  I had a small (benign) polyp in my uterus and pretty bad cervicitis (one of the doctors said that's no surprise since it was hanging out and being rubbed and cervices should definitely not be rubbed like that).  My bladder was completely in the wrong place.  Like none of it was where it was in the area where it's supposed to be.  It was that badly prolapsed.  No wonder I ended up with over a week of bladder spasms.  They had to manipulate my bladder a lot to complete the repairs.  I'm to keep on what I've been doing gradually adding activity over the next 4 weeks.  I can drive now, but not a lot and still need to be careful.  Mostly I just need to drive my daughter the 2 miles to where she works a couple times a week.  I go back to be checked again 4 weeks from tomorrow.

I finished reading Moonraker's Bride by Madeleine Brent this morning.  My friend let me borrow it when she came to visit on Tuesday.  I had to force myself to put it down last night about midnight.  I loved it.  It's about a girl, Lucy, who is 17 at the beginning, some time at the end of the 1800s (the Boxer Rebellion happened during the book).  She's lived in China all her life, but is British (her parents were missionaries, but died when she was 6 months of cholera).  She was raised and then worked at a mission that provides a home for abandoned girl babies.  By 14 she was working as a midwife and minor nurse for the people of the village.  She encounters a man with a strange riddle.  He warns her against another man.  She ends up meeting the other man (who is also trying to solve the riddle) in prison and, since he is sentenced to die within 24 hours, agrees to marry him, making her his heir he makes it so a piece of property will not fall into his enemy's hands.  She ends up going to Britain to live with a family.  She's under the mistaken assumption that the husband bought her to be a concubine.  In reality he wants her to help solve that riddle.  Her adjustment to British culture is very difficult and leads her into many situations that are not her fault but result in people thinking the worst of her.  Then lots of stuff happens that I can't say because it would reveal too much in case someone wants to read it.  Eventually, she ends up back in China temporarily during the Boxer Rebellion and all the truth about both of those men she met and the riddle comes out.  It's an excellent book.  A mild romance, only cuss word is the occasional d-word.  My daughter picked it up and read the first chapter this morning after I finished it and was sucked right in.  I very highly recommend it.

• Like 11

Butter, I am so glad to hear you are doing so well! :)

Jane, At first I felt a bit of guilt for providing the start of the idea that made you decide to roll out 4 feet of pastry dough (I think I remember that episode.....sort of a no way are we trying that reaction :lol: ). Then I remembered British Village mysteries was technically your idea and realized we managed to fill each other's day. Since my library will close for 2 weeks over the holidays I spent today getting my last minute requests in to move books from other branches. I have spent every spare minute chatting with librarians and playing with " if you like this author than you will like this " author lists. I have several interesting selections coming.....before you start feeling bad thinking I spent the entire day on cozy mysteries I will fess up and say we went on a long walk at a nature preserve with two Springer Spaniels (their people came also) and home to some great Chinese carryout with the same friends. I had a really fun day, books and friends. :)

• Like 10

Apologies to Mumto2 who is taking her "assignment" very seriously!  She is obviously one of those prepared (as opposed to flying by the seat of the pants) homeschoolers.

As requested, we have the whole loaf:

23035935813_82336e2a06.jpg

And a view of the interior:

23636980826_5e0278a066.jpg

It is very yummy.  Amy, go for it!

• Like 15

Butter, I am so glad to hear you are doing so well! :)

Jane, At first I felt a bit of guilt for providing the start of the idea that made you decide to roll out 4 feet of pastry dough (I think I remember that episode.....sort of a no way are we trying that reaction :lol: ). Then I remembered British Village mysteries was technically your idea and realized we managed to fill each other's day. Since my library will close for 2 weeks over the holidays I spent today getting my last minute requests in to move books from other branches. I have spent every spare minute chatting with librarians and playing with " if you like this author than you will like this " author lists. I have several interesting selections coming.....before you start feeling bad thinking I spent the entire day on cozy mysteries I will fess up and say we went on a long walk at a nature preserve with two Springer Spaniels (their people came also) and home to some great Chinese carryout with the same friends. I had a really fun day, books and friends. :)

Whoa.  Hold the library cart!  Your library closes for TWO WEEKS during the holidays?  But ... but ... what if I finish all my books and need more?  That's basically my worst nightmare. 

Apologies to Mumto2 who is taking her "assignment" very seriously!  She is obviously one of those prepared (as opposed to flying by the seat of the pants) homeschoolers.

As requested, we have the whole loaf:

23035935813_82336e2a06.jpg

It is very yummy.  Amy, go for it!

It looks wonderful.  I have informed the best friend that she and I have a Christmas project to do!

• Like 9

It looks wonderful.  I have informed the best friend that she and I have a Christmas project to do!

Keep us posted on your baking adventure--especially if you try the Paul Hollywood version in which the dough is rolled out on a bed sheet!

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 7

Robin, I breathed a sigh of relief when my name wasn't listed as I feel as if I'll never have spare time again. And I haven't even begun Christmas preparations. It'll be last-minute store-bought tamales again this year.... Anyhow let me think if there's some topic I can volunteer to post on, much, much later.

I read some Molière, Le Médécin Malgré Lui (in English; who has time?) to keep up with Middle Girl's assignments. Oh that wacky French wife-beating humor, how well it doesn't age. And I dug Out of Africa from the bottom of TBR purgatory. This is a book that apparently has negative Cultural Virtue Points: several people have already expressed surprise that I hadn't already read it and mentioned that they read it back in high school. Which is interesting, as it shows it's not the fact of being a classic that gets CVPs; I think it has to be an intimidating classic. Something everyone's heard of but hasn't read.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 11

Robin, I breathed a sigh of relief when my name wasn't listed as I feel as if I'll never have spare time again. And I haven't even begun Christmas preparations. It'll be last-minute store-bought tamales again this year....

On an unrelated (um ... related since we've been discussing recipes?) our dear Violet Crown has just given me the perfect idea for Christmas dinner.  It'll just be the four of us

and DH requested something fun, different, and delicious for Christmas dinner.  Tamales!  I love it.  Thank you for being too busy to make ham for Christmas.  :)

PS What do you serve with your tamales?

• Like 8

How to be a Victorian by Ruth Goodman

It was fantastic.  It starts with life as soon as you get out of bed and goes to the evening and even includes a section on "behind the bedroom doors".  Incredibly interesting.  It includes all members of society not just those ladies of Flufferton Abbey. 

:001_wub:  Thanks! 

How to be a Victorian

Step 1: Order printed book, not Kindle edition...  ;)

• Like 8

Wow, Jane. Impressive!

I want to see pictures when it's rolled out to about a meter or so.... (I cannot even imagine tackling a cooking project like that!)

ETA: I love your whole setting with the Hemingway quote too! :thumbup1:

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 8

Wonderful news, Ms. Butter, that you are healing up nicely and getting the ok to slowly resume normal life. Keep up the good work!!

Warning:  this post is about baking not books. 

It works beautifully into a 10 inch by four foot rectangle.  I spread the walnut filling. Now I am ready to roll the four feet into a tight Swiss Roll like shape to fit into a loaf pan.

Can not imagine rolling out a 10inch by four foot rectangle of dough. It just boggles the mind!!  Congratulations on a fabulous afternoon project! It looks fabulous and yummy!

Wish I could entertain you all with a story of my 8 hours of violin playing today but I'm too brain dead to be clever much less coherent.  I did everything from a session in a recording studio (!) to a Nutcracker dress rehearsal with an hour stuck in traffic.  Alexander McCall Smith and his take on Emma continue to help the time behind the wheel pass pleasantly. 

Since my library will close for 2 weeks over the holidays I spent today getting my last minute requests in to move books from other branches. I have spent every spare minute chatting with librarians and playing with " if you like this author than you will like this " author lists. I have several interesting selections coming.....before you start feeling bad thinking I spent the entire day on cozy mysteries I will fess up and say we went on a long walk at a nature preserve with two Springer Spaniels (their people came also) and home to some great Chinese carryout with the same friends. I had a really fun day, books and friends. :)

My library closes for 2 weeks, too, (or is it just a week?) at the end of the year -- it is a budget saving device for the city, but is a forced unpaid holiday for the staff.  I'm looking forward to some nice list of cozy mysteries.  I may not leave my couch come January!

• Like 8

Whoa. Hold the library cart! Your library closes for TWO WEEKS during the holidays? But ... but ... what if I finish all my books and need more? That's basically my worst nightmare.

Wish I could entertain you all with a story of my 8 hours of violin playing today but I'm too brain dead to be clever much less coherent. I did everything from a session in a recording studio (!) to a Nutcracker dress rehearsal with an hour stuck in traffic. Alexander McCall Smith and his take on Emma continue to help the time behind the wheel pass pleasantly.

My library closes for 2 weeks, too, (or is it just a week?) at the end of the year -- it is a budget saving device for the city, but is a forced unpaid holiday for the staff. I'm looking forward to some nice list of cozy mysteries. I may not leave my couch come January!

Recording studio.....fun!!! Was it classical, Christmas, or fiddle?

They have closed every year. Originally cost saving I would imagine but the employees like it. It works out to 12 days this year but depending on how the holiday falls it can be longer. The big problem is no book drop for emergencies. We had to leave for an extended period one year and couldn't get my stack of books back. A friend came and got my packed piles off the kitchen table for me.

Every year I order a huge load of books in. The librarian waves the limit and we have stacks to chose from on dd's bedroom floor. This year I have shown great restraint....the first book in approximately a dozen cozy series. Prior years I have done several complete series just in case we like them. Totally compulsive, but dd and I do actually seem on settle on an author and read it all over Christmas. But thanks to overdrive I feel less compulsive this year.

Jenn, I haven't preread my list of potentials but am happy to share for your January hiatus. If you want links that I like I am happy to provide or I can give you my preread list... I have tried to stick with British author's so the books will be somewhat accurate and have tried to choose a good representation of time periods. Post WWI is incredibly popular for cozy books but was such a sad time actually.....maybe that's why all young women became amateur sleuths, no men to distract them.

Eta...By accurate I am talking picky little things that probably don't matter a bit but tend to bug me.

It all stems back to a woman in my mother's town writing a newspaper article about English Gardens where she rather offhandly stated that we (meaning British people) have poor hygiene because our clothing is essentially dirty. Dirty because our laundry detergent doesn't work well at all. She apparently lived here for 6 months and was putting her laundry tablets faithfully into the drawer where liquid soap goes on her combi washing machine, they didn't desolve because they need to go in with the clothing directly (I put them in a special mesh bag first but no real need). Go figure her tabs never disolved....my question was why didn't she ask someone how to use her tabs? The fact they never worked well was a huge clue!

Considering that my first day here I stood in the aisle of a grocery store and asked someone what detergent for children with sensitive skin and ended up with several nice ladies helping me choose all my cleaning supplies with detailed "how to" instructions. People like to help in general. Anyway her comment lead to my mom panicking because obviously we were much living someplace filthy. Garden lady was right in her opinion. Mom knew her. Details matter.....My mom even mailed me her article to prove she was right.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

Last night I finished Tessa Dare's historical romance When a Scot Ties the Knot.  It was quite entertaining and had me laughing out loud a time or three.  How often does one encounter pet lobsters in a romance?  or any book for that matter?

"On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shy, pretty, and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart.

A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter . . . and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely.

Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He's wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters . . . and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Last night I finished Tessa Dare's historical romance When a Scot Ties the Knot. It was quite entertaining and had me laughing out loud a time or three. How often does one encounter pet lobsters in a romance? or any book for that matter?

Kareni

Have you read any of Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series? I have been going through them rather slowly but enjoying them. All have been slightly unconventional which makes them fun. I just checked out the first in your "Lobster" series ;) . The actial series title is Castles Ever After. I doubt if any of her books really need to be read in order but since the first one was available I will start there.

• Like 5

Butter, I'm glad you're healing well!

I finished Tristano Dies last night. I must admit I while I saw the quality and beauty of the book, I didn't enjoy reading the first 2/3 of it. The last third was very interesting, starting around the time another point of view is inserted into the text via a letter. It was a slightly confusing book to read. As if stream of consciousness doesn't have its own challenges, if one adds old age and morphine it's even more challenging.

In the final days of his life, Tristano has summoned a writer who wrote a previously flattering book about him to sit at his bedside and take down the story of his life. The book is written as if it's a verbatim record of what he says to the writer, including requests for glasses of water, asking whether he has a recorder in his pocket, telling him he wants more morphine or that he wants a nap, etc. I like the "meta" concept that Tristano appears to think the author will write another book about his life, but after Tristano is gone, the author actually releases a verbatim transcript. And we never hear from the author, as Tristano has asked him to never speak. This method of writing the novel was, for me, the most interesting aspect of it. It leaves questions: Did the author betray Tristano by releasing all his words, flattering and unflattering alike? His previous book about Tristano had been flattering, was that why Tristano called him again? Or did he call him to set straight the story after he was gone? And what about request outside the story, like getting a straw for drinking? Did Tristano know everything would be included? Did the author intend to write a book instead of a transcript? If so, what happened to that plan?

This was the first book I've ever read translated from Italian, and the first novel I've read that references Italy and WWII. I was intrigued by the peek into the story and life of a war hero. As Jane mentioned a few weeks ago, it was a dark book, but there were also moments of lightness. In Tristano's morphine haze, he would often wander into philosophical discussion and thought-provoking ideas, an addition to bits of dark humor.

Blame it on Mumto2!  Earlier in the week, she provided a link to an article featuring some British Bake Off recipes including a recipe that caught my eye.  Forget the cakes!  I decided to try my hand at a Croatian yeast risen sweet bread called Povitica.  I have been looking for something to make as a special gift item for a family member--this looked perfect.

23636980826_5e0278a066.jpg

Wow, it looks wonderful!

I read some Molière, Le Médécin Malgré Lui (in English; who has time?) to keep up with Middle Girl's assignments. Oh that wacky French wife-beating humor, how well it doesn't age. 

:D

Edited by idnib
  • Like 7

Butter, I'm glad you're healing well!

I finished Tristano Dies last night. I must admit I while I saw the quality and beauty of the book, I didn't enjoy reading the first 2/3 of it. The last third was very interesting, starting around the time another point of view is inserted into the text via a letter. It was a slightly confusing book to read. As if stream of consciousness doesn't have its own challenges, if one adds old age and morphine it's even more challenging.

In the final days of his life, Tristano has summoned a writer who wrote a previously flattering book about him to sit at his bedside and take down the story of his life. The book is written as if it's a verbatim record of what he says to the writer, including requests for glasses of water, asking whether he has a recorder in his pocket, telling him he wants more morphine or that he wants a nap, etc. I like the "meta" concept that Tristano appears to think the author will write another book about his life, but after Tristano is gone, the author actually releases a verbatim transcript. And we never hear from the author, as Tristano has asked him to never speak. This method of writing the novel was, for me, the most interesting aspect of it. It leaves questions: Did the author betray Tristano by releasing all his words, flattering and unflattering alike? His previous book about Tristano had been flattering, was that why Tristano called him again? Or did he call him to set straight the story after he was gone? And what about request outside the story, like getting a straw for drinking? Did Tristano know everything would be included? Did the author intend to write a book instead of a transcript? If so, what happened to that plan?

This was the first book I've ever read translated from Italian, and the first novel I've read that references Italy and WWII. I was intrigued by the peek into the story and life of a war hero. As Jane mentioned a few weeks ago, it was a dark book, but there were also moments of lightness. In Tristano's morphine haze, he would often wander into philosophical discussion and thought-provoking ideas, an addition to bits of dark humor.

Wow, it looks wonderful!

:D

Time Ages in a Hurry, a short story collection by Tabucchi, was much easier to digest than Tristano.  In October I offered this comment on the latter:

As predicted by the title of the latest Tabucchi translation that Archipelago has issued, Tristano has died.  Wow, was I dragging my feet on this one.  I read uncomfortable books so the fact that this one is uncomfortable is not sufficient reason for me to drag my feet. 

I think my problem with Tristano Dies is that the novel presents a dying person's narrative from a pain and drug induced state.  Tristano's ramblings offer so many variations of the same tale. What is true?  One thinks of the proverbial blind men with the elephant--each has a piece of the reality.  Do each of Tristano's recollections contain a kernel of truth?  There is also a discomfort with the larger question that Tabucchi has us examine. We fight our wars and determine our heroes.  But if the ensuing years do not bring hopes to fruition, was it worthwhile?

Idnib, your comments on the nameless narrator in Tristano Dies are interesting to me as I focused on the idea of who is a hero in the perspective of time.  You are right, though.  The writing itself in this book was unexpected.

• Like 6

Jane, I picked up The Frozen Thames from the library today. It's such a petite book! Not sure if I'll get around to reading it now or not. My book piles are pretty high but things have been so busy for me lately that I've found very little time to read. I did find time to browse the little used bookstore that raises funds for the library -- and picked up Kon Tiki for myself. I figure it would fit in with sea-faring reading next year & I've wanted to read it ever since I read Heyerdahl's Fatu-Hiva. I know some of his theories in Kon Tiki have been disproven through the years, but I think it will still be a neat book to read. I loved his writing & observations in Fatu-Hiva.

idnib, if you feel like checking out Tabucchi again in the future, I really enjoyed The Flying Creatures of Fra Angelico.

I know we all like to recommend books here, so you may want to jump over to this book request thread & add your two cents....

• Like 6

Jenn, did you ever read Golden Slippers by Lee Wyndham? That was one of my favorite books as a young teen and I think we are probably about the same age.

No -- haven't even heard of it and wonder how I missed it back in the day? It is no where to be found in the local library systems! The synopsis (I found it on Amazon) makes me think of the movie Red Slippers.

• Like 7

Idnib, your comments on the nameless narrator in Tristano Dies are interesting to me as I focused on the idea of who is a hero in the perspective of time.  You are right, though.  The writing itself in this book was unexpected.

I'm still mulling over the style. Some thoughts....

--Did Tristano want a word-for-word transcript?

--Did Tristano want another book written about him and was either hoping it would be flattering like the last, or was hoping it would clarify what his hero's life had actually been?

--After Tristano's death, the author didn't write a book, but just released a verbatim book. Was this the previous agreement? Did the author intend to write a book but Tristano's confusion made it impossible to write a coherent and true story? Did the author decide Tristano's own exact words were more powerful than anything he could have written? Did the author use the exact words so as not to be accused of tarnishing the memory of Tristano, the war hero? Was the author disillusioned with Tristano and did the minimum to fulfill his promise?

• Like 6

Have you read any of Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series? I have been going through them rather slowly but enjoying them.

I've read a couple of them which I enjoyed.  I seem to pick and choose among her books as they come available.

She does have a novella that is available free to Kindle readers if someone would like to sample her work: 

How to Catch a Wild Viscount by Tessa Dare.

And speaking of books free to Kindle readers, I saw this morning that Marie Force's first three Gansett island books are currently available for free ~

McCarthys of Gansett Island Boxed Set Books 1-3

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Heather, I'm so glad you're doing better.

Jane, I can't imagine rolling out dough that size! Even if there is success at the end. ;)

I don't usually post quotes from books, but two quotes from East of Eden have really stayed with me (even though I still have about 2 hours left to read according to my Kindle)

The first describes how a father and son (Samuel and poor Tom Hamilton) read books differently. 

"Samuel rode lightly on top of a book and he balanced happily among ideas the way a man rides white rapids in a canoe. But Tom got into a book, crawled and groveled between the covers, tunneled like a mole among the thoughts and came up with the book all over his face and hands."

What a description! How do you read a book? I think for me it depends on the book. I can think of quite a few books I came up from with them all over my face and hands. East of Eden might end up being one of those.

The other quote is from when the Trasks got a car and describes what it was like when cars were new. Truly new.

"It is hard now to imagine the difficulty of learning to start, drive, and maintain an automobile. Not only was the whole process complicated, but one had to start from scratch. Today's children breathe in the theory, habits, and idiosyncracies of the internal combustion engine in their cradles, but then you started with the blank belief that it would not run at all, and sometimes you were right."

This one reminded me very much of personal computers. Those of us old enough to remember when computers first came in to homes and businesses also remember that we mostly didn't know what we were doing. We got it wrong a lot. We were sure we did something wrong and sometimes we were right. My 18 yo son not only doesn't remember a time without computers, he doesn't remember a time without internet (though he does remember the sound of a modem and how you couldn't be online and on the phone at the same time). He breathed in the theory, habits and idiosyncracies of computers in his cradle.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 11

I started one of my expiring overdrive books this afternoon half expecting to read a few pages and let it go back. I was pleasantly surprised In a Dark, Dark Wood was a great page turning suspense novel. I read it in as close to one sitting as I could! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23346377-in-a-dark-dark-wood

The description I originally read compared it to Gone Girl which I disliked but sounded intriguing enough to try. The story imitated great whodunit mysteries with a houseparty. In this book a Hen (bachelorette) party in a remote holiday house is the scene for the weekend. The main character cannot figure out why she was even invited and wishes she had simply said no. She hasn't seen the bride in ten years by choice. The story moves quickly and the layers build.

• Like 8

Just read the whole thread. Sure we don't get points for reading these threads? Add them all up and that would one hefty book indeed. 

Read a book I wished I hadn't. Was supposed to be funny. Wasn't. 

I received sad news today so I am, well, sad. And worried. Where's the magical button that makes things all better? 

Speaking of magical I am reading The Last of the Great Wangdoodles to me youngest. Had no idea it was written by Julie Andrews until I made the connection by reading the author info. 

• Like 10

I received sad news today so I am, well, sad. And worried. Where's the magical button that makes things all better? 

I'm sorry that you're sad and worried and hope that you'll soon have peace of mind.  I agree that a magical button would be wonderful to have.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I finished Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry last night right about midnight.  I really didn't mean to stay up that late reading, but I just couldn't stop.  And then I kept thinking about it and still couldn't go to sleep for another about an hour.  It was really good and a little disturbing.  It took a lot of willpower not to start reading Messenger last night.

• Like 6

Last  night I finished Moonlight on Nightingale Way: An On Dublin Street Novel by Samantha Young which is a contemporary romance.  It's the last in a series, but I think it could stand alone well.  I enjoyed it.  (Some adult content.)

"Logan spent two years paying for the mistakes he made. Now, he’s ready to start over. He has a great apartment, a good job, and plenty of women to distract him from his past. And one woman who is driving him to distraction…

Grace escaped her manipulative family by moving to a new city. Her new life, made to suit her own needs, is almost perfect. All she needs to do is find her Mr. Right—or at least figure out a way to ignore her irresistible yet annoying womanizer of a neighbor.

Grace is determined to have nothing to do with Logan until a life-changing surprise slowly begins turning the wild heartbreaker into exactly the kind of strong, stable man she’s been searching for. Only just when she begins to give into his charms, her own messy past threatens to derail everything they’ve worked to build…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Heather, I'm so glad you're doing better.

What a description! How do you read a book? I think for me it depends on the book. I can think of quite a few books I came up from with them all over my face and hands. East of Eden might end up being one of those.

I almost always read a book the second way, which is one of the reasons I take a long time to finish books. I re-read passages I like, mull things over, sometimes say them out loud to hear how they sound if the words are put together particularly well.

I do read shallowly when I read what I call "airplane books." I can't read deeply when 40,000 feet in the air, with drink/snack offers every hour, people getting in and out of seats, pilots making announcements, etc. That's how I've managed to read most of the Grisham and Lee Child books. Luckily someone in my neighborhood reads a lot of those types of novels and leaves them in the Little Library down the street.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 6

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I'm right there with you. I've gotten some bad news today. Worried. Unhappy. Stressed.

If you find the magical button, please pass it to me when you're finished using it. :sad:

• Like 6

I've never read The War of the Worlds (nor have I ever really wanted to read it), so I appreciate your concise summary! :lol:

(It makes me think of the Book-A-Minute website. Maybe you should submit your summary to them!)

How hilarious!  

The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy condensed:

(The Earth gets BLOWN UP.)

Arthur

I'm a bit upset about that.

Ford

Yes, I can understand that.

(They fly around the galaxy. They go UNDERGROUND, where they see...)

Arthur

The Earth.

Deep Thought

Forty two.

THE END

:lol:

• Like 6