Menu

I thought we would have 4 for THanksgiving, but now 6 aaahhh

TravelingChris

I am so unprepared for Thanksgiving.  I haven't bought anything yet for it and what I thought would be dh and I plus two out of three children is now three young males (one of which is my son) who all probably eat a lot.  I don't have desserts planned,  I don't have vegetables except for mashed potatoes planned.  I don't have a gravy recipe yet.  I haven't bought or made rolls yet.  I know I still have days to go and my youngest will be home tomorrow to help cook (or bake I should say) but I just feel very nervous having guests at my Thanksgiving.  I like the idea and I do know how to cook but I just feel so disorganized this year (I am not on any adhd medicine any more and am quite distractable),  I like the idea of making things ahead of time but all I can think to make in advance is cranberry sauce.   I have a recipe I like for Chocolate Pecan tart but I have  no tart pan.  I have to decide whether to get a pumpkin pie for the guests since no one in our house eats that.  As I said aaaah!

Pioneer woman has a make ahead mashed potatoes recipe that really helps when trying to juggle everything at the end of the cooking.

We also make stuffing, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce the night before and just put it in the oven after the turkey comes out. Frozen rolls, and guests bring dessert and wine.

ETA: for posting on the fly...No, I do not put the cranberry sauce in the oven, nor do I serve frozen rolls. :/

Edited by JodiSue

I am so unprepared for Thanksgiving. I haven't bought anything yet for it and what I thought would be dh and I plus two out of three children is now three young males (one of which is my son) who all probably eat a lot. I don't have desserts planned, I don't have vegetables except for mashed potatoes planned. I don't have a gravy recipe yet. I haven't bought or made rolls yet. I know I still have days to go and my youngest will be home tomorrow to help cook (or bake I should say) but I just feel very nervous having guests at my Thanksgiving. I like the idea and I do know how to cook but I just feel so disorganized this year (I am not on any adhd medicine any more and am quite distractable), I like the idea of making things ahead of time but all I can think to make in advance is cranberry sauce. I have a recipe I like for Chocolate Pecan tart but I have no tart pan. I have to decide whether to get a pumpkin pie for the guests since no one in our house eats that. As I said aaaah!

What can we do? Do you need recipes? Or just virtual cheerleaders?

You can do it, you can do it.

You can make Thanksgiving dinner.

You can make the food so yummy!

(Sing to the tune of "We Can Do It" from Cinderella)

Edited to take out an erroneous question mark.

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 4

You can do this, easily.

Do you have Trader Joe's?   Get some of their turkey gravy. It's very good - I don't like gravy but I like theirs.

Can't you just make the tart in a pie pan?   Or make a pie instead.  Don't try to go buying new cooking stuff now.  You don't need it.

Buy the rolls tomorrow and put them in the freezer.  Buy some green beans, shallots, and sliced or slivered almonds and you have your non-potato veggie.  There's lot of stuff ready-made in most stores  now.  (Of course I don't know where you live.)

6 is not that many more than 4! 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

If you have a Mimi's Cafe nearby you can purchase.  It is *really* good and all you have to do is follow the directions to heat and plate.  We've done it for the past 8ish years.  Once due to an overwhelming year, subsequently because it was just. so. yummy.  And simple.  Oh, so simple.

Eta: the Thanksgiving dinner (or sides) to pick up the day before not the regular "menu" meal.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 1

Mimi’s offers several Thanksgiving holiday meal to-go solutions, plus announces special restaurant hours and meal offerings for Thanksgiving Day. 

• Holiday Feast To-Go serves 6-8 people for only $89.99. This traditional Thanksgiving meal features a whole Roasted Turkey, Cornbread Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Fresh Steamed Vegetables, Cranberry Relish, Carrot Raisin Nut Bread and a whole Pumpkin Pie. Mimi’s restaurants offer convenient online ordering, and curbside pickup in many locations.

• Holiday Sides To-Go is ideal for those who enjoy the tradition of cooking the turkey but want to leave the rest to someone else. Mimi’s has everyone’s favorites including mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, cornbread stuffing, steamed vegetables, cranberry relish and gravy staring at $24.99 and serves 6-8 people.

• Brunch Feast To-Go is perfect for Thanksgiving morning, Black Friday before or after shopping, and for entertaining family and friends. It includes a six-pack of Mimi’s famous muffins, variety of six quiches with choice of Cheddar & Broccoli Quiche, Quiche Lorraine and Quatre Fromages Quiche and fresh seasonal fruit for $39.99 and serves 6-8 people.
  • Like 1

Bob Evans also has pre-made Thanksgiving meals to purchase, and many grocery stores do, as well. You would need to call soon. I'm not sure what their ordering deadlines might be. Grocery stores also often offer Thanksgiving packages. You could probably call and order some pre-made side dishes if you didn't want to buy a whole meal.

Or if you want to cook it yourself:

Buy your rolls and desserts. Get a cheesball and some crackers. Put together a tray of vegetables and dip (or buy one pre-made and just put it on your own pretty patter). Make the potatoes a day or two ahead and reheat. Buy jarred gravy. Pick one more easy vegetable dish -- green beans or mashed sweet potatoes. Buy pre-made cranberry sauce. On Thanksgiving then you only have to get your turkey in the oven, reheat the other food, and serve it.

If you don't have a turkey yet, buy it ASAP so it can thaw. Or buy a fresh turkey. Or buy one that is already cooked.

You can do it!

How to get it done:

Make a list of what you want to serve.

Make a list of what you need to buy.

Clean out your fridge to make room if needed.

Buy the groceries.

Clean your kitchen and bathrooms and get out any tablecloths or place mats you will use.

Choose what items you will make ahead and which day you will make them.

Make a list of things you need to do the night before and the morning of Thanksgiving, so you have a plan.

• Like 1

It's Thanksgiving?!

Seriously, I kind of forgot about dinner, though it's just the 8 of us, half of whom won't eat turkey anyway, so...  I can pull it together just fine as long as I go to the grocery tomorrow morning at 8:15.  Hopefully a turkey breast or thighs will be left.  All the kids really want is pie anyway.

• Like 1

well.. if it's any help I'm completely unprepared for Thanksgiving and I'm having 12 people!! :scared:

we just got a new oven after not having one since this summer. I wasn't sure it would arrive before Thanksgiving.  And... I'm just not mentally prepared for Thanksgiving either.   Tomorrow I have both g-kids so not much will get done in the prep. department.  

I plan to do my menu planning tomorrow and shop on Tues.  Start cooking a little on Weds.  Thank goodness my oven is actually a double wall oven.  I'll be able to cook a little more than just with a trad. oven/stove. 

Just six people?! It'll be easy, I promise! Think of it like a slightly bigger family dinner, not some sort of crazy event that must be grand and perfect. I second Pioneer Woman recipes and making things ahead - rolls are so easy to make, cranberry sauce can be made ahead, as can a cake or pie, and veggies can at least be peeled and seasoned in the fridge if not cooked.

. You're serving young males. If they can chew it, they'll be happy. I'm just saying.

Pretty much the truth lol!  And another good things about young men is that you don't have to have your house spotless either.  They really don't notice the cobwebs in the corners or the dust on the window sills :)  Most fellas have rather basic tastes - do the turkey, gravy, potatoes, rolls...add a veggie (they probably don't care) and a pie and that chocolate tart (go get a tart pan - WalMart or even your grocery store should have one).

This is a favorite veggie with my boys and it's super simple:  http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/03/roasted-butternut-squash-garlic-sage-pine-nuts/

I have one son who is a foodie.  He's my best help in the kitchen and if we have anything unusual it's because he wants/makes it.

$40 at Food Lion gets you a complete heat-n-eat dinner. You're serving young males. If they can chew it, they'll be happy. I'm just saying.

:lol:

I remember one Thanksgivng in a college one of the football players asked, "can someone pass me one of the <turkey> legs?" He skipped everything else until he finished that leg! :lol:

• Like 1