Menu

Vegetarianism for a pre-teen?

MeghansMom

So my 12yo goes back and forth on being a vegetarian or even a vegan.

She is 65 pounds, 4'8", and has hypoparathyroidism, which means her phosphorus is too high and her calcium is too low.

She loves animals very much and feels eating them is inhuman, sometimes while crying and eating bacon because it is so delicious.

Anyways, she is serious about this and I want to support her and even possibly become vegetarian myself.

At the same time, I am concerned about her heath. I think she needs to weigh more and with being a vegan, how it might cause issue with her calcium deficiency. (She does take calcitrol and Tums)

She is now eating whole wheat waffles with fruit and whipped cream for breakfast.

She eats fruit for a snack.

Lunch has been pasta with veggies or a veggie pizza

Dinner she has skipped the meat we serve and just eats the veggies and side dish.

She has ate like this for a few days, but what would be better long term?

I will talk to her peds doctor and endocrinologist when we see them next. She sees endo this coming Friday.

Those of you that are vegetarian/vegan or just have knowledge in this area, what are your suggestions for eating well? Any books or cookbooks you would recommend?

Thank you.

Yes, I know who Weston A. Price is and how unpopular veganism is, but I do not have time to engage in internet debates, ad hominems, and mud slinging at the present time, so here are some links for you, OP:

http://www.vegfamily.com/feed/

http://veggie-kids.com/feed/

http://www.veganhousewives.com/feed/

http://vegbooks.org/index.php/feed/

http://www.generationveggie.org/home/feed/

https://frugalveganmom.wordpress.com/feed/

http://myveganchristianlife.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default<----she's an IRL friend who also homeschools but doesn't write about that part of her life.

HTH

I have not read the other posts on this thread because I do not want to read the other posts on this thread.

• Like 6

I know so many kids, including my own, who have grown up vegetarian. They are all very healthy, their skin is clear, their eyes are bright, their hair is thick, their teeth are good, etc.

The thyroid issue would worry me no matter the diet. It's going to need consideration if she eats meat or not.

For calcium you might consider using almond milk in things like oatmeal or over cereal. A full cup has 40% of calcium requirements for the day.  I give my kids calcium supplements but only b/c ds1 was a preemie and I was told to keep an eye on his calcium. So, I go in and out of giving them supplements.

Being a vegetarian really isn't a big deal.  There are so many good recipes online. If you want a cookbook you can check out your local library. 

Is there a meal you find particularly challenging?

• Like 8

My kids have been vegan more or less their whole lives. (My daughter theoretically ate dairy until she was about two, but in practice just kind of never ate any.) They are now 17 and almost 21, healthy as horses, and plan to remain vegans for life.

We've stressed much about what they ate. As long as the majority of what they were eating was reasonably healthy and they were eating a reasonable variety of foods, I more or less left them alone.

For what it's worth, I've been a vegetarian for more than 30 years, vegan for almost 20.

It's really not a big deal.

• Like 4

Just add some beans and nuts / nut butters to what she's already eating, and she'll be fine. It doesn't have to be complicated.  For some quick added protein, you can make things like refried beans (check the label) in a tortilla, peanut butter on a whole grain bagel, or lentil soup (I love Amy's Lentil Soup).

Good for her for caring about animals!

• Like 7

I'd up the nut and legume volume in her diet.

I'd also suggest making some dinners be a vegetarian main course with the meat on the side for the rest of you. Like make peanut noodles and greens and then people can add chicken OR fried tofu or tempeh to their dishes. Or make an awesome salsa and bean burrito filling which people can add cheese, meat, avocado and/or veggies to.

We are not vegan but some of our favorite foods and dishes are. Today I am making vegan enchiladas for our freezer and some non-vegan ones as well.

There's no need for vegetarians to be consigned to sides and bread all the time. Mix it up. It will probably be healthful for all of you.

• Like 8

My 9 year old has been completely vegetarian for about 2 1/2 years, he started at age 6 but at first would eat some meat. He cut out all meat about 6 months after he began. He also is an animal lover who just can't bear the thought of eating animals. The rest of us respect him and support him but are not vegetarians. We do eat a lot more vegetarian meals and less meat because of him but we do also eat some meat. 

I told him he couldn't become vegan, not so much because of the nutrition issue in general but because he is also a fairly picky eater. I felt like if he cut out all dairy and eggs which were two of the few things he would eat that it would be bad for him nutritionally. It also would have made meal-planning and cooking all that much harder for me. It's one thing to include a vegetarian in a family of omnivores, it's another to include a vegan. As he gets older, if he wants to become vegan I would let him with the understanding that he has to make sure he is eating a wide range of heatlhy foods and not just carbs. He now eats a lot more nuts, lentils and beans than he did 3 years ago so I would be more comfortable with that choice. I would also tell him that he had to be responsible for some of the cooking and meal prep. 

There are tons of options for vegetarian dishes that don't equal just sides and carbs. He will eat that if we are having meat as a main dish but usually we can adapt our recipe or just make a main veg dish. 

Favorites of everyone ,including my very carnivorous daughter, are: 

-Lentil and quinoa tacos 

-Veggie chili

-Black bean soup

-Baked potatoes with lots of toppings (easy to include meat for those who really have to have it) 

-Something that we call BoLoCo based on a Boston fast casual restaurant we liked....basically you put out rice, beans, guacomole, chopped veggies, cheese, salsa, other sauces, meat if you want it, etc. and everyone makes their own bowl. 

-Eggs of some kind (obviously not good if she is going to be a vegan)

-Quesadillas with black beans and spinach or with just veggies 

-Fried tofu with veggies (is very good in the crockpot) 

-Zucchini and rice fritters 

-Vegetable fried rice

-Vegetable potstickers 

-Zucchini and rice casserole 

-Hummus and rice fritters (taste kind of like falafal but much easier) 

We also do a lot of what Lucy Stoner suggested. I'll make a recipe we all like (white chicken chili for example) but just leave out the meat and add it at the end. 

• Like 3

My kids have been vegan more or less their whole lives. (My daughter theoretically ate dairy until she was about two, but in practice just kind of never ate any.) They are now 17 and almost 21, healthy as horses, and plan to remain vegans for life.

We've stressed much about what they ate. As long as the majority of what they were eating was reasonably healthy and they were eating a reasonable variety of foods, I more or less left them alone.

For what it's worth, I've been a vegetarian for more than 30 years, vegan for almost 20.

It's really not a big deal.

Any time I try to go without meat, I am hungry. :p

I worry about her getting enough nutrients and eating properly.

You can be a vegetarian and be in poor health. (You can be a meat eater and be in poor health too, but we do eat little meat and mostly chicken and seafood) What do i replace meat with for nutrients and satiety?

I don't think it is a big deal, I just want to do it properly.

Expense is a concern too. How expensive is vegan food?

I see higher expense for gluten-free food.

How do I do it economically?

Vegan cheese and such?

I'd up the nut and legume volume in her diet.

I'd also suggest making some dinners be a vegetarian main course with the meat on the side for the rest of you. Like make peanut noodles and greens and then people can add chicken OR fried tofu or tempeh to their dishes. Or make an awesome salsa and bean burrito filling which people can add cheese, meat, avocado and/or veggies to.

We are not vegan but some of our favorite foods and dishes are. Today I am making vegan enchiladas for our freezer and some non-vegan ones as well.

There's no need for vegetarians to be consigned to sides and bread all the time. Mix it up. It will probably be healthful for all of you.

Yes, this is what I mean. I don't want her regulated to sides all the time. Nor do I want her subsisting on vegetarian tv dinners.

Thank you!

Just add some beans and nuts / nut butters to what she's already eating, and she'll be fine. It doesn't have to be complicated.  For some quick added protein, you can make things like refried beans (check the label) in a tortilla, peanut butter on a whole grain bagel, or lentil soup (I love Amy's Lentil Soup).

Good for her for caring about animals!

We did look up some of Amy's products online. :)

My 9 year old has been completely vegetarian for about 2 1/2 years, he started at age 6 but at first would eat some meat. He cut out all meat about 6 months after he began. He also is an animal lover who just can't bear the thought of eating animals. The rest of us respect him and support him but are not vegetarians. We do eat a lot more vegetarian meals and less meat because of him but we do also eat some meat. 

I told him he couldn't become vegan, not so much because of the nutrition issue in general but because he is also a fairly picky eater. I felt like if he cut out all dairy and eggs which were two of the few things he would eat that it would be bad for him nutritionally. It also would have made meal-planning and cooking all that much harder for me. It's one thing to include a vegetarian in a family of omnivores, it's another to include a vegan. As he gets older, if he wants to become vegan I would let him with the understanding that he has to make sure he is eating a wide range of heatlhy foods and not just carbs. He now eats a lot more nuts, lentils and beans than he did 3 years ago so I would be more comfortable with that choice. I would also tell him that he had to be responsible for some of the cooking and meal prep. 

There are tons of options for vegetarian dishes that don't equal just sides and carbs. He will eat that if we are having meat as a main dish but usually we can adapt our recipe or just make a main veg dish. 

Favorites of everyone ,including my very carnivorous daughter, are: 

-Lentil and quinoa tacos 

-Veggie chili

-Black bean soup

-Baked potatoes with lots of toppings (easy to include meat for those who really have to have it) 

-Something that we call BoLoCo based on a Boston fast casual restaurant we liked....basically you put out rice, beans, guacomole, chopped veggies, cheese, salsa, other sauces, meat if you want it, etc. and everyone makes their own bowl. 

-Eggs of some kind (obviously not good if she is going to be a vegan)

-Quesadillas with black beans and spinach or with just veggies 

-Fried tofu with veggies (is very good in the crockpot) 

-Zucchini and rice fritters 

-Vegetable fried rice

-Vegetable potstickers 

-Zucchini and rice casserole 

-Hummus and rice fritters (taste kind of like falafal but much easier) 

We also do a lot of what Lucy Stoner suggested. I'll make a recipe we all like (white chicken chili for example) but just leave out the meat and add it at the end. 

Thank you for all the great ideas. Meg is excited and liked several of your suggestions. :)

My spouse works two full time jobs and goes to college part time, so he is rarely home.

So my cooking will become vegetarian with a side of meat for him. :P

Vegan cheese and such?

Gluten free food is not required for vegans.

We don't eat vegan cheese or many other analogues, just because none of us like them much.

The bulk of our diet is vegetables, fruits, grains (rice, breads, couscous, pastas, etc.), beans (seasoned black beans, falafel, Indian dishes, etc.) , nuts . . .  We eat less expensively than most other families we know.

• Like 3

Gluten free food is not required for vegans.

We don't eat vegan cheese or many other analogues, just because none of us like them much.

The bulk of our diet is vegetables, fruits, grains (rice, breads, couscous, pastas, etc.), beans (seasoned black beans, falafel, Indian dishes, etc.) , nuts . . .  We eat less expensively than most other families we know.

Yes, I know you don't have to go gluten-free to be a vegetarian. Sorry I am not clear at times.

I was using that as an example.

I was thinking that when she goes vegan and I attempt to go vegan, it will be more expensive trying to replace the nutrients since we will be cutting out a lot of food.

And cheese was one of the first things I thought of when she talked to be about becoming vegan eventually. Not my cheese! :p

I mostly do not have a problem giving up meat, but cheese will be a struggle. :willy_nilly:

Gluten free is not vegan food. They are not the same thing. Now, there are people who are gluten free vegans, but if she can digest gluten then there isn't really a reason to buy gluten free products.  And I tend to stay away from 'replacement' type food, like 'vegan cheese" or "cheeze'.  It isn't cheese, it can't be cheese, so don't make it try to be cheese.

When we have been vegan, as opposed to being vegetarian, we often did so because it was cheaper. It was a good way to save money.

There are a LOT of really good vegan cookbooks out there and also vegan blogs

One I like is called "Post Punk Kitchen" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.  She has written many, many vegan cookbooks.

Here is her author page at Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Isa-Chandra-Moskowitz/e/B001JS0GT2/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Here is her blog:

http://www.theppk.com/blog/

There are enough recipes on that blog to keep you eating for years.

• Like 3

I know no vegans who are gluten free by choice. The only vegans I know who forgo gluten are people with a legit medical concern (celiac disease).

I find vegan foods, excluding the substitutes peoole concoct which which you totally don't need, to be cheaper than standard omnivore foods. Take my vegan and non vegan enchiladas.

Both kinds have: tomato and broth based sauce, corn tortillas, onions, garlic, cilantro, seasonings, soy sauce and are served with or partially filled with avocados and homemade salsa.

The vegan kind have: a sweet potato, a small amount of squash, a tsp of maple syrup and a can of black beans.

The meat kind have: chicken and cheese.

The chicken and cheese are quite a bit more expensive than the 1 cup squash, 1 large sweet potato and one can of black beans.

Both dishes are delicious and filling and I've seen many a meat eater, including myself, demolish a plate of the vegan ones.

• Like 3

What nutrients are you concerned about? The only thing in meat that isn't readily available in plant-based foods that I can think of is B12.

Because I am ignorant about becoming a vegetarian/vegan and I just assume we will be missing out on nutrients?

There are different kinds of protein but is there not certain nutrients that only meat proteins give you?

When ever I have heard of anyone going vegetarian in my past and it has been rarely, I hear of them lacking in vitamins or some nutrient.

But then I am a meat eater and I take vitamin D, calcium citrate, magnesium and fish oil. :ohmy: Three of those for deficiencies.

Gluten free is not vegan food. They are not the same thing. Now, there are people who are gluten free vegans, but if she can digest gluten then there isn't really a reason to buy gluten free products.  And I tend to stay away from 'replacement' type food, like 'vegan cheese" or "cheeze'.  It isn't cheese, it can't be cheese, so don't make it try to be cheese.

When we have been vegan, as opposed to being vegetarian, we often did so because it was cheaper. It was a good way to save money.

One I like is called "Post Punk Kitchen" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.  She has written many, many vegan cookbooks.

http://smile.amazon.com/Isa-Chandra-Moskowitz/e/B001JS0GT2/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Here is her blog:

I was using gluten free as an example of expensive. I am not as articulate as I used to be before the stroke. I had a string of thought about gluten free being expensive and just wrote gluten-free, not the thought to complete it. I am sorry.

This is what I think of when I think of vegan:

Veganism is a type of vegetarian diet that excludes meat, eggs, dairy products and all other animal-derived ingredients. Many vegans also do not eat foods that are processed using animal products, such as refined white sugar and some wines.

I read this and think, wow, what will she/we eat?

I wanted to know from actual vegetarians/vegans and other parents about how to do this. Thank you.

I was using gluten free as an example of expensive. I am not as articulate as I used to be before the stroke. I had a string of thought about gluten free being expensive and just wrote gluten-free, not the thought to complete it. I am sorry.

This is what I think of when I think of vegan:

Veganism is a type of vegetarian diet that excludes meat, eggs, dairy products and all other animal-derived ingredients. Many vegans also do not eat foods that are processed using animal products, such as refined white sugar and some wines.

I wanted to know from actual vegetarians/vegans and other parents about how to do this. Thank you.

Redsquirrel, thank you for the information, it is really helpful.

Here is her blog:

I am following her and going to get a couple of her cookbooks. I will share her blog with Meg when she completes her Latin homework.

Really awesome! *high five*

Because I am ignorant about becoming a vegetarian/vegan and I just assume we will be missing out on nutrients?

There are different kinds of protein but is there not certain nutrients that only meat proteins give you?

When ever I have heard of anyone going vegetarian in my past and it has been rarely, I hear of them lacking in vitamins or some nutrient.

But then I am a meat eater and I take vitamin D, calcium citrate, magnesium and fish oil. :ohmy: Three of those for deficiencies.

Well, if humans miss out on nutrients by not eating meat, then I must be in real trouble after all this time. :)

I'm not. So, now you're hearing of four vegetarians (three vegans) in my family who have not eaten meat in many years and have no deficiencies.

The protein in meat is often referred to as a "complete" protein, because it contains all of the amino acids we need to assemble protein in a form our bodies can use. However, all of the necessary amino acids are available in other foods -- specifically grains and legumes. It's probably one of the reasons that pretty much every culture has some kind of traditional dish that combines grains and beans. 

The conventional wisdom used to be that it was necessary to eat those foods at the same meal or within a certain relatively short window in order make it possible for our bodies to appropriately combine the amino acids into that complete protein. More recent research, though, suggests that things work out fine as long as we take in adequate amounts of healthy foods in a varied diet. Our bodies do the rest.

For what it's worth, it's my understanding that eating too much protein can actually interfere with absorption of some nutrients, like calcium. 

• Like 6

My 12 yo has been vegetarian his entire life. At 5 ft and 75 lbs, he's lean and strong and super healthy. He's a serious, competetive athlete and has no problems not eating meat (we are all vegetarian, but it's totally his choice and he knows I would willingly accommodate).

Looking at your daughter's diet that you posted, I would suggest reducing the carbs she's consuming (all that bread and pasta is really just sugar) and increase the protein. We are not vegan by any stretch so we eat lots of cheese, fish, eggs, and DS drinks milk. I'm not really into fake substitutes but seitan, tofu, tempeh and of course all kinds of beans are terrific whole foods, vegan options. Vegan burgers are very easy to make ahead and freeze to have on hand.

There are, IMO, lots of issues one might consider when going vegan or vegetarian. Animal rights/humane treatment is a good place to start, but I would suggest she keep herself informed on other issues that might important to her in the future, both in support of veganism and reasons to consider otherwise.

Great job, mama, for supporting your daughter! Not every family is so accommodating (ahem) :)

• Like 1

Well, if humans miss out on nutrients by not eating meat, then I must be in real trouble after all this time. :)

I'm not. So, now you're hearing of four vegetarians (three vegans) in my family who have not eaten meat in many years and have no deficiencies.

The protein in meat is often referred to as a "complete" protein, because it contains all of the amino acids we need to assemble protein in a form our bodies can use. However, all of the necessary amino acids are available in other foods -- specifically grains and legumes. It's probably one of the reasons that pretty much every culture has some kind of traditional dish that combines grains and beans. 

The conventional wisdom used to be that it was necessary to eat those foods at the same meal or within a certain relatively short window in order make it possible for our bodies to appropriately combine the amino acids into that complete protein. More recent research, though, suggests that things work out fine as long as we take in adequate amounts of healthy foods in a varied diet. Our bodies do the rest.

For what it's worth, it's my understanding that eating too much protein can actually interfere with absorption of some nutrients, like calcium. 

Thank you. It has been many years since I took nutrition.

I look forward to becoming a vegetarian...and possibly a vegan. :hurray:

Yep, that's us.

This actual vegetarian/vegan family (my husband still eats cheese and occasionally eggs) eats a lot of Mexican-inspired meals, usually with seasoned black beans standing in where others might use ground beef. With only two of us at home full time, my husband and I have been eating a lot of really simple meals. At least once a week, we end up eating "nachos," which in our case means I put on the table a big bowl of seasoned black beans, rice, tortilla chips and diced veggies including tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, jalepenos, lettuce, cilantro, etc. (pretty much whatever we have on hand). We each assemble a plate as we wish. My husband sometimes adds some grated cheddar and a dollop of sour cream, if we have those around. We also do black bean or refried bean burritos (both grilled and "smothered") and tacos.

We also like a variety of Indian-inspired dishes. Channa masala (curried chickpeas) is a favorite, along with lentil dal. One convenience food that our freezer is rarely without is lentil-stuffed puri. My son loves them and learned to fry pretty much so he could make them more often.

Another of my son's favorite meals is falafel, either in a pita with veggies or on a bed of veggie couscous with hummus and carrot sticks on the side.

We also do a fair number of "normal" meals like pasta with tomato sauce, baked potatoes topped with various things . . .

• Like 3

My 12 yo has been vegetarian his entire life. At 5 ft and 75 lbs, he's lean and strong and super healthy. He's a serious, competetive athlete and has no problems not eating meat (we are all vegetarian, but it's totally his choice and he knows I would willingly accommodate).

Looking at your daughter's diet that you posted, I would suggest reducing the carbs she's consuming (all that bread and pasta is really just sugar) and increase the protein. We are not vegan by any stretch so we eat lots of cheese, fish, eggs, and DS drinks milk. I'm not really into fake substitutes but seitan, tofu, tempeh and of course all kinds of beans are terrific whole foods, vegan options. Vegan burgers are very easy to make ahead and freeze to have on hand.

There are, IMO, lots of issues one might consider when going vegan or vegetarian. Animal rights/humane treatment is a good place to start, but I would suggest she keep herself informed on other issues that might important to her in the future, both in support of veganism and reasons to consider otherwise.

Great job, mama, for supporting your daughter! Not every family is so accommodating (ahem) :)

Yes, thanks!

Less carbs, more non-meat protein.

We already eat beans at every dinner.

Going to up that and more veggies, the ones with a lot of punch.

Good thing she already loves veggies and grains.

I want her to eat healthy no matter what she is!

I will let her know about the other issues. I did not think of them myself.

Thanks, I do try.

As long as you take steps to ensure she's getting adequate calories (given as she should increase weight), that she has a source of B12, and that she's not a complete carbitarian (one of my vegetarian friends actually ended up ill because of a protein deficiency, but she really didn't eat much other than pasta and bread), she should be fine. 

• Like 2

OP, I think I understand your concern.   The vegetarians you're hearing from here are doing it quite well.  But there are some who aren't. Dh has a good friend who is a vegetarian and he eats a ton of french fries, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread, fried cheese curds, etc. He's a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables.  He's quite overweight and has type 2 diabetes.  So just like some omnivores have a crummy diet, so can vegetarians.  

Vegetarian diets aren't all that difficult but it took me a while to educate myself so I didn't serve a verboten food to a vegetarian. Some worcestershire sauce isn't vegetarian. Marshmallows and gummy bears have gelatin, but some brands use pectin instead. And then there's cheese, and some has rennet in it while others just list 'enzymes' which doesn't help you to know whether it's from an animal's stomach or not.  So yeah, I understand that you're excited but a little nervous about it.  It's a learning curve. But the good thing is that your dd is old enough to learn alongside you.  Doing it together will help, I think.  Good luck on your adventure!

• Like 2

I don't think vegetarianism costs more than a typical diet.  I would say the cost of meat is offset by more veggies.  But I didn't eat soy or any fake meat things when I was a vegetarian. 

Mexican is easy to be meatless.  Burrito bowls and such.

Eggplant parmasean is so good!

Hummus!

Eggs are easy if she isn't vegan yet

Soups are easy but most probably contain dairy.  french onion, leek/potato, baked potato, corn chowder without the bacon, broccoli cheese.

• Like 1

Yep, that's us.

This actual vegetarian/vegan family (my husband still eats cheese and occasionally eggs) eats a lot of Mexican-inspired meals, usually with seasoned black beans standing in where others might use ground beef. With only two of us at home full time, my husband and I have been eating a lot of really simple meals. At least once a week, we end up eating "nachos," which in our case means I put on the table a big bowl of seasoned black beans, rice, tortilla chips and diced veggies including tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, jalepenos, lettuce, cilantro, etc. (pretty much whatever we have on hand). We each assemble a plate as we wish. My husband sometimes adds some grated cheddar and a dollop of sour cream, if we have those around. We also do black bean or refried bean burritos (both grilled and "smothered") and tacos.

We also like a variety of Indian-inspired dishes. Channa masala (curried chickpeas) is a favorite, along with lentil dal. One convenience food that our freezer is rarely without is lentil-stuffed puri. My son loves them and learned to fry pretty much so he could make them more often.

Another of my son's favorite meals is falafel, either in a pita with veggies or on a bed of veggie couscous with hummus and carrot sticks on the side.

We also do a fair number of "normal" meals like pasta with tomato sauce, baked potatoes topped with various things . . .

We love Mexican food. Like we should marry it we love it so much. :p

We have an authentic Mediterranean place here, that includes a grocery. The owner brought a machine over from his country and makes fresh pita every day. Meghan loves falafels, so we will learn to make them.

We are making spaghetti tomorrow night. I always add sauteed mushrooms, onions, and pepper to my sauce but I do not know if I should serve it like that or add the vegetarian meat crumbles. We do love veggie burgers. I guess we just need to experiment. :)

OP, I think I understand your concern.   The vegetarians you're hearing from here are doing it quite well.  But there are some who aren't. Dh has a good friend who is a vegetarian and he eats a ton of french fries, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread, fried cheese curds, etc. He's a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables.  He's quite overweight and has type 2 diabetes.  So just like some omnivores have a crummy diet, so can vegetarians.  

Vegetarian diets aren't all that difficult but it took me a while to educate myself so I didn't serve a verboten food to a vegetarian. Some worcestershire sauce isn't vegetarian. Marshmallows and gummy bears have gelatin, but some brands use pectin instead. And then there's cheese, and some has rennet in it while others just list 'enzymes' which doesn't help you to know whether it's from an animal's stomach or not.  So yeah, I understand that you're excited but a little nervous about it.  It's a learning curve. But the good thing is that your dd is old enough to learn alongside you.  Doing it together will help, I think.  Good luck on your adventure!

Yes, this is what I was trying to say, but you said it so much better. Thank you.

I did not even think of Worcestershire sauce, marshmallows or gummy bears. :p

I think she is a perfect age for us to explore this together and after this thread, I do feel like we are having an adventure.

I would suggest that you see how becoming vegetarian works for you and Meg before you decide to go vegan, particularly if you like things like eggs and dairy products. Cutting meat out of your diet may already be a significant change, but going completely vegan might feel too extreme if you go that route right away.

• Like 8

I would suggest that you see how becoming vegetarian works for you and Meg before you decide to go vegan, particularly if you like things like eggs and dairy products. Cutting meat out of your diet may already be a significant change, but going completely vegan might feel too extreme if you go that route right away.

Yes, I think so too.

The information from this thread has been so helpful.

I was just talking to Meghan-now that she is finished with her Latin homework-about how we should go meatless first, then slowly become vegan. I know she will most likely become vegan, I think I will become vegetarian. I think if we try to go vegan 100% percent we will set ourselves up for failure.

On another note:

I found this:

Make sure that you get all the nutrients you need! Poorly planned vegan diets often lack Calcium, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin D, and Omega 3. Broccoli, plant milks, and kale are good sources of calcium. The sun and mushrooms should be enough to get Vitamin D, and Omega 3 can be found in seeds and walnuts. Some examples of seeds are Chia seeds and pumpkin seeds.

Info like this is important to me. Thankfully she loves broccoli and mushrooms and a ton of other veggies.

I don't have much experience with chia seeds, but I have heard good things.

• Like 2

:iagree:  

And like others said, nutrition is important, whether you choose to eat meat or not. Maybe especially as someone going from meat-centric diet to a vegetarian one. Get a good mix of veggies in each meal. Eating just potatoes and asparagus side dishes for dinner probably isn't going to cut it (and wont be very satisfying either).

Read up on which veggies supply which nutrients. Usually you'll find a higher bio-availability of any given nutrient in a whole plant source than from an animal source. 

Indian food (or stir fry) can be a good way of getting a good mix of veggies in. Especially if you don't overcook the veggies, like most Indian food tends to be cooked. 

• Like 2

We are making spaghetti tomorrow night. I always add sauteed mushrooms, onions, and pepper to my sauce but I do not know if I should serve it like that or add the vegetarian meat crumbles. We do love veggie burgers. I guess we just need to experiment. :)

Yes, definitely experiment. We don't bother with meat analogues in pasta sauce. My husband eats a veggie burger or hot dog now and then, but I don't care for them or feel any need to have them in my diet.

• Like 2

The China Study, Forks Over Knives and Disease Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right were helpful to me when I first began learning more about proper nutrition.

Good luck!

I have seen Forks Over Knives on Netflix and I will look for the other two, thank you.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely experiment. We don't bother with meat analogues in pasta sauce. My husband eats a veggie burger or hot dog now and then, but I don't care for them or feel any need to have them in my diet.

That will be the hardest part for me. Bacon cheeseburgers are my most favorite thing on the planet. I have one once a month.

Luckily, I can hang with a veggie burger and forgo the bacon.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I do feed a lot of them. I also try to only eat meat 1-2x a week (excluding eggs) so make a lot of veggie meals.

Vegan meals are really easy if you are cooking from scratch. No one is going to hide dairy inside your broccoli or beans. Though do be careful with sauces, I know Worcestershire isn't vegan, and I think a certain hot sauce isn't, but I don't remember. Vegan meals are normally much, much less expensive here because we aren't paying for cheese/meat. I never do vegan substitutes, just cook fresh veggies with beans, rice, pasta, or tortillas. Lettuce wraps are a really quick and inexpensive option.

Vegetarian meals are a lot easier to transition to. Mostly because of cheese, but also because there is less worry of offending things being snuck into sauces and spices. To make a meal vegetarian, I usually just leave out the meat, if needed replacing it with beans. 

The biggest danger with health is that it is really easy to eat too much bread as a vegetarian. Or junk food. That's also true of omnivores, however, so as long as you are aware of trying to eat healthy shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry I can't help with nutrient deficiencies since we do have meat occasionally here.

• Like 1

That will be the hardest part for me. Bacon cheeseburgers are my most favorite thing on the planet. I have one once a month.

Luckily, I can hang with a veggie burger and forgo the bacon.

Or... you could still have your bacon cheeseburger once a month.

It's just a new way of eating, not a prison. You don't have to be 100% vegetarian 100% of the time. So what if you occasionally eat a little meat? No one is going to arrest you, so go ahead and enjoy your occasional bacon cheeseburger without guilt! :)

• Like 7

My older dds were 9 and 11 when they decided to go Veg, and they have not looked back since. Some things I do to help:

keep baking potatoes on hand - good quick meal with salsa, or broccoli and some Earth Balance

keep a few cans of Amy's Chili on hand

keep a few cans of refried beans (check ingredients) and tortillas and salsa on hand

keep salad greens on hand

keep plenty of fruit on hand

Keep frozen Broccoli, Green Beans and Peas on hand

Put Avacado on everything

Oh! And hummous!

Cook like recommended above - the main dish is veg, meat can be added. Soups, salads, stews. . . all work well this way.

I happen to love Tofu, but my dds prefered Tempeh. So be sure to keep an open mind as you experiment.

My eldest is now 18 and vegan. She loves cooking for herself and loves to look at the popular vegan blogs to get her ideas. I would take this opportunity to enlist your dd's help in the kitchen - if the interest is there, she is at the right age to become quite an accomplished cook.

And both dds are of a healthy weight and strength. Both started off rather small, but have been able to keep up with 5 nights of dance a week, and have grown into themselves, while on this diet.

• Like 5

It's just a new way of eating, not a prison. You don't have to be 100% vegetarian 100% of the time. So what if you occasionally eat a little meat? No one is going to arrest you, so go ahead and enjoy your occasional bacon cheeseburger without guilt! :)

This is true.

I keep thinking from this as a loss perspective, when it is not.

• Like 2

Hi! I will come back and read the responses tomorrow morning, but for now I just wanted to congratulate you on being so supportive of your daughter. That's awesome! We went vegan a month ago, and at first I had the same thought as you, "What will we eat?!?" But really, it has been a fun adventure learning a whole new way to cook. Side benefit: we feel really good. :) We are taking B12 and Calcium supplements now, which we probably should have been doing before anyway.

We have really enjoyed some of the recipes from forks over knives....http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes

The creamy potato curry is especially delish!

• Like 1

I was a vegetarian teen.

Here is some advice that I wish I'd have had:

1. COOK YOUR FOODS IN AN IRON SKILLET. Yes, that iron helps. Mama, cook everything in cast iron that you can. I was anemic for so long (still am, but I eat meat now). That iron makes a difference. Send her to college with iron cookware. Double-blind randomized trials have shown this works. That's first of all.

2. Vegetarians should be careful to not eat too much junk, but vegans cannot afford to lose a single calorie to sugar or junk. Yes, there are societies that have lived vegan. None of them included highly processed foods on a regular basis. For real. Find me such a society and I'll eat my words. If you aren't eating meat, you need to eat twice the legumes, 4x as much, as a meat eater. Learn to love hummus. Now.

3. Beans, beans, beans. Beans and rice are a great meal. Dal and rice. Bean and rice burrito. Tofu and rice stir fry. The great thing is, these are all meals that can be made from sides accompanying a main dish.

4. I'm going to be honest. She should keep a dream diary. If she dreams of eggs, meat, or bacon, she needs to either (a) change her vegan diet in such a way that that stops or (b) just eat the dang food already. I've been vegan for three fasts and each time dreamt of eggs. I never dreamt of meat as a vegetarian, but apparently vegan was too much for me. She should be encouraged to listen to her body.

And finally, I'd encourage her to think of meat as something that can be done ethically, even if her standards are very high. So, she might want to find a butcher in a local town that sells wild-caught venison. Buying that meat supports local families and the venison was living free its entire life. Eating a holiday meal of venison or trout, for example, to supplement home-laid eggs, can provide someone with substantially more protein in a healthy way, without violating their principles. As catwoman points out, it is not all or nothing. Though, I remember being that age and I'm pretty sure I did think it was all or nothing, so I wouldn't judge your daughter for feeling the same way.

Eat beans, child. Amy's refried on a whole wheat tortilla with spinach and guacamole are a GREAT snack. (Cheese if only vegetarian. :) )

• Like 5

Any time I try to go without meat, I am hungry. :p

I worry about her getting enough nutrients and eating properly.

You can be a vegetarian and be in poor health. (You can be a meat eater and be in poor health too, but we do eat little meat and mostly chicken and seafood) What do i replace meat with for nutrients and satiety?

I don't think it is a big deal, I just want to do it properly.

Vegan cheese and such?

First, if she's eating a bunch of vegetables and fruit, nutrition won't be an issue. A 100 calorie amount of broccoli has more protein in it than a 100 calorie amount of steak. Read Eat to Live's website to get a glimpse into the nutrient density of plant foods if you're concerned. Also, make sure she gets a B-12 supplement if going vegan.

Vegan food is *way* cheaper than buying lots of meat. I buy dried beans and legumes which are dirt cheap. Also, one bag of dried black beans makes at least 6 cups of beans for me when cooked. I soak the beans overnight in cold water, rinse, cook in the slow cooker on high for a couple hours, then freeze on small cookie sheets in the freezer and pack them into ziplocs for quick-and-easy addition to recipes. I also do the same with chickpeas. I make veggie stock/broth at home with veggie scrapes (which accumulate fast when vegan!) For satiety, the volume of veggies helps fill you up. Coconut milk in Indian food or nut butters on noodles help with satiety. Gluten-free food is mostly packaged stuff which is why it's expensive. I'd try to go for beans, legumes, fresh breads you can make cheap at home, fruits, soups, and veggies. Basically limiting packaging. We spend about $100 less at least on food now that we eat vegan compared to omnivore eating. It's like anything, Even omnivore's can get their bill up if they eat lots of steak and expensive hard cheeses. I'd look at budgetbytes' blog under the vegetarian/vegan tab for cheap recipes. 

• Like 2

Yep, especially when you're mostly doing it yourself to support someone else ... I think it's totally possible to be supportive and occasionally still have a "mom meal".

• Like 3

Except that, once you begin to see slaughtering animals in order to eat them as ethically abhorent, it's impossible to " enjoy" consuming the remains of a living being "without guilt."

It's really not "just" a way of eating; it's a new way of seeing the world and one's place in it.

• Like 1