Menu

Warm Winter Coat for Very Thin Boy

RebeccaS

My oldest ds, almost 11, is 53 pounds soaking wet.  He is always cold.  In the past, we've just used whatever hand me down coat we were given, but this year, I'd really like to get him a good, warm coat.  Right now, the temp in the house is set to 68, but he eats and does school wearing his winter coat from last year (cheap hand me down coat).  I need recommendations for a very warm winter coat.  I've looked at Lands End, LL Bean, and North Face (holy heck are they expensive!).  If you have a very thin guy, what do you get for him and does it keep him warm?  What sort of features do I look for?  My poor ds is freezing all the time even though he wears layers and he's dreading another winter.  Specific suggestions would be most welcome.  :) 

I'd probably go with this one:  http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88737?feat=503374-GN3&page=boys-bean-s-fleece-lined-down-jacket 

I love my Land's End down coat--it keeps me so warm, but it's not heavy or bulky.  Between the fleece and the down on that coat, I'd think it would keep him very comfortable.  

I love LL Bean's guarantee (I only went with Land's End for me because I bought at Sears), and they have 10% off through Tuesday.

What layers does he wear?  I would suggest some long underwear (top and bottom) and then turtleneck and sweatshirt/fleece.  Does he wear socks and slippers?

Just an aside, have you checked with the doctor on this?  It could be a thyroid issue or something else.  I realize he is thin but most kids wouldn't be wearing a winter coat INSIDE when the house temp is set to 68.  I would ask for some basic blood work with complete thyroid panel.

• Like 3

What layers does he wear? I would suggest some long underwear (top and bottom) and then turtleneck and sweatshirt/fleece. Does he wear socks and slippers?

Just an aside, have you check with the doctor on this? It could be a thyroid issue or something else. I realize he is thin but most kids wouldn't be wearing a winter coat INSIDE when the house temp is set to 68.

He wears a thin long sleeve shirt and pants long underwear under his jeans and long sleeve shirt. No turtle necks as he can't stand them. He wears socks but not usually shoes or slippers. He's always been extremely thin and cold but it seems much worse this year. I never thought to have it checked out. He has taken to wearing a hat at times as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't focus on the coat. I'd be getting him to put on layers. Get him some long underwear base layers. Then, have him were pants lined with flannel and long sleeve shirts and maybe a fleece before putting on a good coat. Make sure he has hat, gloves and decent socks. 

I know kids just want to run around in a t shirts and jeans and throw on a coat. That's just not going to keep someone warm no matter how good the coat is. 

• Like 1

How about washable silk long underwear? When I was in Europe, my host family was appalled that I didn't wear undershirts. Then, when I moved to Boston, I started wearing washable silk tank tops every day all winter and washable silk long underwear pants whenever it got super cold. The layers are very thin and breathable, but make all the difference.

Emily

Poor kid!  One of my daughters was cold a lot.  I finally bought her a wool camisole to wear under clothes -- that sure made a difference!

I also bought her wool socks to wear every day, and got her her own personal electric radiator heater to keep in her room.  AND an electric mattress pad for her bed.

Once she turned 21, she moved to California and now she is warm all the time!

• Like 1

Poor kid!  One of my daughters was cold a lot.  I finally bought her a wool camisole to wear under clothes -- that sure made a difference!

I also bought her wool socks to wear every day, and got her her own personal electric radiator heater to keep in her room.  AND an electric mattress pad for her bed.

Once she turned 21, she moved to California and now she is warm all the time!

Heh.  I can see him doing something similar!  It is not unusual to see him in jeans and long sleeved shirt in summer when the temps are below 80....  ;) 

• Like 1

I love my multilayer Columbia ski jacket for outdoors. However, my bigger challenge is indoors because we keep our house cold. For inside wear, I'm all about the wool. I wear thin Merino wool long sleeve shirts as a base layer, long underwear pants, thick merino wool socks (REI, smart wool, or EMS brands), and wool or fleece top layer shirts/pants. I have a pair of down-filled slippers from REI that are absolutely toasty. I wear hats. I wear scarves. I own several pairs of the fingerless gloves so that I can keep my wrists warm but still be able to write/cook/etc. I also swear by a good down comforter for bedtime.