Menu

The charge may be *slightly* higher?

BlsdMama

What do you consider slightly?

I ask because I called around the area for quotes for having our septic pumped.

The general quote was $300.

I actually went with the highest quote because the company advertises the most, so it was the most familiar to me.

The quote was: $300 + $10 transport charge ALTHOUGH, she said, it could vary slightly based on weight.

I got the bill last week.

It was $480.

To me, this is not *slightly.*

Let's face it, it's a 1250 gallon tank (which is what the quote was for) how much could it possibly have varied?  

Actual removal was approximately 1450 gallons, btw.

I'm not a confrontational person by nature so I've *never* said to someone, "Whoa!  That's a far bit from your quote."  But do you then just pay without questioning it? 

How did they get 1450 gallons out of a 1250 gallon tank? 

I'd throw a fit, slightly in my estimation would top out at $350. 

I don't know.... I was wondering if maybe there is an interim area or something?  

It is a fairly big company around here.  And to add to that, after the pump, he strongly recommended we pump it every 12 months.  I actually don't doubt his honesty (because before emptying it he thought we were doing it too soon at 18 months) but I really don't want to spend $500 / year to empty my septic.  I may as well live in town and pay sewer bills. :P  (Because beyond the annual cost, you eventually have replacement costs.)

• Like 1

I don't know.... I was wondering if maybe there is an interim area or something?  

It is a fairly big company around here.  And to add to that, after the pump, he strongly recommended we pump it every 12 months.  I actually don't doubt his honesty (because before emptying it he thought we were doing it too soon at 18 months) but I really don't want to spend $500 / year to empty my septic.  I may as well live in town and pay sewer bills. :p  (Because beyond the annual cost, you eventually have replacement costs.)

huh, I've never heard of sewer bills

Sounds like more than "slightly" to me, too, but I'll bet it's common because it happened to us, as well.

I was annoyed, too, but I paid the bill. I probably should have complained, though. Did you get a written estimate before they did the work? We didn't, but if you did, I would definitely call and complain.

That is not slightly to me and it doesn't make any sense.

1250 gallons for $300 is .24 per gallon.

1450 gallons at .24 per gallon is $343.

Add in the $10 transport fee and your bill should be no more than $353.

I would lay out the math for them and expect them to either have a very good explanation to justify the difference or expect the bill to be adjusted.

• Like 19

It is a fairly big company around here. And to add to that, after the pump, he strongly recommended we pump it every 12 months. I actually don't doubt his honesty (because before emptying it he thought we were doing it too soon at 18 months) but I really don't want to spend $500 / year to empty my septic. I may as well live in town and pay sewer bills. :P (Because beyond the annual cost, you eventually have replacement costs.)

I spend about $50/month for city sewer so $500/year sounds right.

• Like 1

The sewer bill variations might be based on how old the sewers are. Where I live, both they and the treatment plant are only twenty years old or so. That probably explains why my sewer bill is higher than some other towns.

I always assumed that our town was just greedier than other towns.

• Like 2

It could be that your tank is larger than you thought (would explain why they got so much more out of it than capacity.  So that could explain the over charge.

It could be that the septic guy made a mistake (wrote down the wrong amount pumped out.

It could be that the septic guy made another sort of error.

It could be that the office personnel made a mistake.

I would call and ask for an itemized bill, or ask them to explain why it went so high over the estimate.  Wait until you're not angry, just perplexed.  

I'd probably say something like, "Hi.  I just received the bill for my septic pumping last week.  It is 60% over the estimate, and I'm wondering if you could explain it to me."  Then, listen to what they have to say.  

If they say it because they pumped out 1450 gallons, instead of the original estimate of 1250 gallons, and you're sure that the tank is only 1250 gal, point it out, and ask how they got 1450 gal. out of a 1250 gal. tank.  

If you're not sure of the size of the tank, see if you can get confirmation on the size before you call.

If there was another reason (access was difficult, trip fee wasn't included in original quote, greater than average amount of solid waste, etc) they'll be able to explain it to you.  Express your dissatisfaction in not having the septic guy explain it at the time of service.  Make it clear that you will be calling another company in the future for your septic needs.  They may cut you some slack and promise to be more transparent in the future.

• Like 6

That is a misquote, not a slight adjustment. I would definitely ask for clarification. I would probably go into it assuming there was an error on their part.

On the city sewer fees:

The age of the system/number of  current sewer projects the city is paying for or undertaking will affect the cost. This is probably the biggest factor.

But it also varies based on the number of homes served. We moved from a small to large town. Our sewer and water costs are far less here because the larger town spreads the cost out over a lot more people. We pay $50 less per month here for water and sewer combined.

• Like 1

What do you consider slightly?

I ask because I called around the area for quotes for having our septic pumped.

The general quote was $300.

I actually went with the highest quote because the company advertises the most, so it was the most familiar to me.

The quote was: $300 + $10 transport charge ALTHOUGH, she said, it could vary slightly based on weight.

I got the bill last week.

It was $480.

To me, this is not *slightly.*

Let's face it, it's a 1250 gallon tank (which is what the quote was for) how much could it possibly have varied?  

Actual removal was approximately 1450 gallons, btw.

I'm not a confrontational person by nature so I've *never* said to someone, "Whoa!  That's a far bit from your quote."  But do you then just pay without questioning it? 

Whoa....I paid $160 for the most recent visit.  It's a bit smaller tank, but goodness. 

Heck no, you address it.  You state, "I was told, and I quote,  (insert exactly what you were told).  Now, I have received a bill for $480.00, which is outrageous.  I trust that we can resolve this issue and I can have the price I was quoted."  Silence. You wait for an answer.  If doing it by email, same thing.  Wait for an answer. 

You could install composting toilets, recycle grey water, and save money in the long run, if zoning permits. But it would take some up front investment.

Just the thought of composting toilets makes me want to gag. :ack2:

I would pay almost any amount of money to avoid having to use one of those.

• Like 3