Menu

Does anyone else hate vegetables? They are so bitter!

Shellydon

I do this for DH.  He loves them.  I can't stand them.   :)

,ave you tried asparagus in the oven? I just spread a bit of olive oil in a roasting pan, sprinkle in salt, and then toss prepared asparagus in it till it's covered. Then I roast at 325 for about 5-6 minutes until barely fork-tender. It's a veg I can actually eat and enjoy, not bitter to me--and I'm really sensitive like you are.

• Like 1

Is cilantro used in Mexican cooking? DH and I went to a local Mexican restaurant last month and both of us thought the food tasted like soap! It was nasty!

The only veggies I really cannot stand the taste of are brussels sprouts, beets, radishes, and some nasty little green leaf thing I encountered in a bag of mixed greens one time that was very "hot" tasting. I threw the whole bag away.

Yes, cilantro is a staple in many Mexican foods.

• Like 1

Is cilantro used in Mexican cooking? DH and I went to a local Mexican restaurant last month and both of us thought the food tasted like soap! It was nasty!

The only veggies I really cannot stand the taste of are brussels sprouts, beets, radishes, and some nasty little green leaf thing I encountered in a bag of mixed greens one time that was very "hot" tasting. I threw the whole bag away.

It often is!  :)

• Like 1

If you roast those babies with olive oil/salt/pepper, they're as sweet as candy!  You're just cooking them wrong.

Nope.  Roasting them = super bitter icky.  At least to me.  I buy fresh or pick from the garden,  Roast with salt/olive oil, sometimes add balsamic, still super bitter. My hubby loves them though. 

So, after reading up, I would say I am definitely a super taster.  I had read that before, but had forgotten.  It appears that I will never like veggies, if the stories of other super tasters hold true.  I guess I am really lucky you can take veggies in capsule form now. 

As an adult, I love most veggies.

As a child and well into my teenage years I loathed them because they tasted so horrendously bitter to me.

Somewhere along the way my taste buds changed.

This is basically what happened to me.  I HATED them as a child, but was forced to eat at least a small portion most dinners.  Now, as an adult, I have come a long way, and will eat all but the most bitter (endives and zucchini I still cannot do...)  I think part of it was that my mom is not the world's best veggie cook.  I never said that!  What???

It took a lot of messing around in the kitchen to find recipes I like.  I still prefer the gentler types- carrots, peas, roast potatoes of any sort, squashes... but I can now handle even ratatouille if I make it myself.  

Dh is like that. He will only eat green beans. And, only if they are soaked in Dale's and cooked well. He also finds most fruits to be to bitter to tolerate. He eats meat. and meat. and meat. and potatoes.  Always has. Since way back before it was a thing. He is extremely healthy. One of the only men in his paternal history to not have heart problems in their 40s. He is a super-taster. He can taste pretty much anything and tell you exactly what is in it. He doesn't really eat sweets, so cutting back on sugar is not likely to reset him.

Me, I love veggies. ANd fruits.

What I want to know is, how do we describe things that we don't like as having tastes we've never actually tasted--For example, how do people describe cilantro as tasting like soap if they've never tasted soap? :lol:

Well, I actually have tasted soap, accidentally, of course. My mom would wash my face with it when I was little and end up getting it on my lips, thus, in my mouth. Yuck!

Yes.  It's used liberally in EVERYTHING . . . As God intended!

• Like 1

Well then, I got nothin.

Except, maybe....bacon grease?

Broccoli or Brussels sprouts roasted or pan fried with a little bacon is so good!

The trick is high heat and getting some darkcaramelized edges without cooking them through until mushy.

Toss in some raisins and a sprinkle of Romano or Parm to make it even better.

• Like 1

Broccoli or Brussels sprouts roasted or pan fried with a little bacon is so good!

The trick is high heat and getting some darkcaramelized edges without cooking them through until mushy.

Toss in some raisins and a sprinkle of Romano or Parm to make it even better.

No, no. Ditch the raisins and parm, and instead let the whole thing cool and then mix with sour cream.

Am I the only one reading this who is thinking "But I like bitter?"

And apparently I am a sadist!  :lol:

Black coffee, lots of veg and Campari for me, thank you.

ETA:  I find sugar in coffee or tea to be revolting.  I have no idea how people can drink soda or any sweetened drink other than hot cocoa. 

Bitter can be good, but it needs to be balanced. Some vegetables are unrelentingly bitter to me, not a pleasant bite but nauseating. I love me some Brussel sprouts and such, but I need sweet, creamy, or acidic to balance the edge for moi. Same with my coffee - I like it black, but also with heavy cream.

Am I the only one reading this who is thinking "But I like bitter?"

And apparently I am a sadist! :lol:

Black coffee, lots of veg and Campari for me, thank you.

ETA: I find sugar in coffee or tea to be revolting. I have no idea how people can drink soda or any sweetened drink other than hot cocoa.

That article is hilariously unlike your on-line persona, so you are either leading quite the double life, or they are simply wrong about the bitter foods thing.

Plus, I have a SIL who hates vegetables, digs cookies and...isn't sweet. like reaaly, really isn't. So it doesn't hold for her.

Though my mom is a very sweet person, and she does like treats I think are gaggingly sweet, like those pies that are made with - i don't know - chocolate pudding, snickers bars, cool whip and Oreo cookies. Those types of desserts. I can't even look at those.

• Like 1

,ave you tried asparagus in the oven? I just spread a bit of olive oil in a roasting pan, sprinkle in salt, and then toss prepared asparagus in it till it's covered. Then I roast at 325 for about 5-6 minutes until barely fork-tender. It's a veg I can actually eat and enjoy, not bitter to me--and I'm really sensitive like you are.

I'm eating this tonight. I usually steam asparagus, but you are making this sound so good. Doin it!

That article is hilariously unlike your on-line persona, so you are either leading quite the double life, or they are simply wrong about the bitter foods thing.

Plus, I have a SIL who hates vegetables, digs cookies and...isn't sweet. like reaaly, really isn't. So it doesn't hold for her.

Though my mom is a very sweet person, and she does like treats I think are gaggingly sweet, like those pies that are made with - i don't know - chocolate pudding, snickers bars, cool whip and Oreo cookies. Those types of desserts. I can't even look at those.

I can't help but wonder if our preferences for sweet, super-sweet, bitter, salty, umami, etc are partially genetic, partially conditioning, partially cultural. For example, Marmite is one of those things that has to be a cultural preference.

While I love bitter, I don't like collards unless they are cooked with some orange juice and raisins to sweeten them up a bit.  But I eat all sorts of other greens like chard, beet greens, turnip greens, kale.  I did not grow up eating cooked greens.  We ate lettuce in our salads and spinach was often canned.  :scared: :ack2:  It could be living in the South, could be modern life with a CSA subscription, but now I really enjoy cooked greens which are often bitter.  I had to figure out how to prepare them though since they were not part of my childhood vegetable vocabulary.

Dinner tonight?  We had Trigger (fish) cooked with baby turnips and shallots, steamed green beans on the side.  The Trigger dish had some coriander, cardamom, thyme, white wine...  Turnips are one of those things that many would probably find to be unappetizing but they pick up flavors nicely.

Big woody turnips?  Yuck. But baby turnips have possibility.  (Says the sadist..)