Menu

Multiple age groups and driving about....

I spend an inordinate amount of time driving to and from places.  I am SO not this person.

However, until DS has his license, I need to be that person.

So he has college classes in the AM, then I pick him up every day. (DH takes him in on his way to work.)  So that's once into town - about 15-20 minutes away.

Then he has Scouts on Monday, most often DH takes him there so that one is fine.

Then on Thursdays he has Mock Trial.  I take him in, DH picks him up.

What do you do in the car with kids to make it fun and educational?  Many of mine get carsick so reading or tablets or writing are not viable options.  We often do sing alongs, memory work, or audio books but I welcome specific suggestions!

Do you have to take all of the children every time? Could your 8th grader keep most of them home? (Not sure of legalities in your state.). If so, maybe you could just being one or two and use it as some Mommy time. (I decided I was over killing our afternoon to go grocery shopping after martial arts class, so now I go in the evening, by myself or with just one child, and it's quite pleasant that way.)

We do a lot of audiobooks in the car, or composer study. All the Classical Kids CD music/stories. Stuff with good voices, like Pooh. Focus on the Family radio theater dramatizations.

• Like 3

Do you have to take all of the children every time? Could your 8th grader keep most of them home? (Not sure of legalities in your state.). If so, maybe you could just being one or two and use it as some Mommy time. (I decided I was over killing our afternoon to go grocery shopping after martial arts class, so now I go in the evening, by myself or with just one child, and it's quite pleasant that way.)

We do a lot of audiobooks in the car, or composer study. All the Classical Kids CD music/stories. Stuff with good voices, like Pooh. Focus on the Family radio theater dramatizations.

:iagree:

I wouldn't take all of them if I could avoid it at all.

• Like 1

:iagree:  :iagree:

There's no way I would take all the kids unless there was some compelling reason.

Alternately, is there a public bus for your 11th grader? My kids now take the bus to (but not yet home since it's in the evening...) some of their activities, which is really nice for my driving. Most of our stuff is also 15-20 mins away. I don't consider that very far (I guess I'm used to city traffic) but it is nice to put the burden on them a little to transport themselves.

• Like 1

I do a ton of driving, it's really quite ridiculous. Tuesday I drove my 16-year-old to class day. I came back home picked up my eight-year-old and took him back to class day for pictures. Then I came back home picked up my 13-year-old took her to the math tutor. Then we came home from the math tutor and I stopped by gymnastics to drop off my 8 year old. I took the 13-year-old home, ran some errands, then went back to get the 8 year old from gymnastics. Then I went back to class day to pick up my 16 year old. Then I raced home, quickly made dinner and drove the 16-year-old scouts. My 16 year old is working on getting his permit. I need him to drive.

I leave as many kids home as I can. When I do have to take everyone, we listen to lots of books on tape, adventures in odyssey etc...

Could you review any kind of memory work? This would require you to have the stuff memorized yourself, but things like "what's the capital of Alaska?" could be done sometimes (unfortunately, you'd still need to do this with a map around as well sometimes, but maybe there is other memory work that would work better).

Also, I don't know how many miles 15-20 min is (this would be very dependent on where you live), but if there isn't a bus, could he bicycle home? Like, dad drives him + bike to college, and he bicycles back? If it's 15-20 miles that should be doable a couple of times per week, if it's 10 miles or less then it might be possible every day unless there's too much snow.

Can't he schedule college classes to be 2 (or 3) days per week instead of 5 days per week next semester? I know that when I was driving 65+ miles to university (and then 65+ miles back) I scheduled my classes 1-2 days per week, not 5... colleges and universities tend to have quite a few ways to make your schedule not be 5 days per week.

And, the obvious, are there *any* kids at college who live in the same direction he does that he can hitch a ride with? Like, put up a note on the bulletin board. Also, if your DH can drop him off in the morning, could he just stay at college doing his homework in the afternoon and then ride back with DH in the evening some days of the week?

ETA: oops, you already mentioned memory work.

We do a lot of audiobooks in the car, or composer study.

I second audio books.  You can check them out from the library, too.

If you have kids that get car sick (as I do), you don't want to do books or anything where their attention is focused on a particular item because their body senses "movement" but their eyes don't.  Audio books are good because they entertain the kids' mind but the kids can still peer out the windows.

Good luck!

Hot Lava Mama

• Like 1

Confession: We drive more than that. I can't think and talk and drive at the same time so mostly it's Rock and roll 101 courtesy KZOK and the End. "And this is Jimi Hendrix, kids. He was from right here in Seattle but he thought it was provincial so he went to London. Do you know where London is?"

"Mommy, what does 'provincial' mean?"

"First tell me where you think London is. Do you remember if it's a city or a country?"

• Like 1

Our "car schooling" subjects might include...

1)  Classical Conversations Memory Work:  We use their timeline, History sentences, and science sentences.  I have them all set to music.   When we factor in review time, we could easily stay busy for about an hour with this subject alone!!

2)  Audiobook*-  We always have a family audiobook going at any given time.  After a chapter I pause it and ask each child to narrate in turn.  I start with the youngest.  Then the next oldest corrects or adds anything the youngest one missed, etc.  

3)  History-  Both SOTW and CHOW are available on audiobook.  These are the books we actually USE for history.  So if I know we have somewhere to drive to, I save history for our car trip and get everything else done at home.  I pause and they narrate.  BUT, I think these are both interesting books to listen to even if you are using something else for history.

4)  Bible memory verses-  We use seeds family worship songs

5)  Latin-  We use classical academic press products which have CDs and DVDs.   Memoria Press products have CDs and DVDs too.

6)  Poetry-  We use IEW's poetry program. It has a great CD that goes along with it.  We review poetry, etc.

7)  Cultural Literacy-  This is sort of tied to the audiobook.   But lets say you aren't in the car enough to have an audiobook going for the entire family.  Perhaps there is too much time between readings.   If this is the case, you could have your car schooling count as your cultural literacy subject.   Listen to Aesop's Fables.   Listen to Andrew Lang's fair tales.   Listen to James Baldwin's 50 Famous Stories.   Listen to all of those great short stories that you want your children to be familar with some day.  Short stories are great if you aren't in the car everyday, but still want something entertaining.

8)  Bible-  I don't know if you are religious, but use all of these car trips to listen through the ENTIRE bible with your kids.   That should keep you busy for a good long time.  And what a great goal to accomplish!   There are lots of great audio bibles available on audible.com.   This one is pretty good.

The key to doing all of this is to have an organized play list system going on your phone.    You want to have it set up before you go so you don't have to mess around too much while driving.  :)

• Like 1