Menu

FYI: California Common Core testing scores

MarkT

CA homeschoolers most likely did not take the test since homeschooling in California is technically creating a very small private school. Private schools are allowed to use whatever curriculum or no curriculum as they choose. I suppose it is possible that some did take the test, but I can't this of the circumstances it would happen.

for the statistically obsessed

California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress 

http://www.cde.ca.gov/nr/ne/yr15/yr15rel69.asp#tab1

Did CA home-schoolers take this?

Most homeschoolers in CA don't test, as it is not required. Students enrolled in home-based public schools would have taken it, of course, if that's the required end-of-year test for public schools.

Yup only the families that use homeschool charters would have to test.  That's actually a pretty large percentage of homeschoolers in CA, though.  

Does anyone know what percentage are private versus charter? 

I was looking for that statistic the other day and never managed to figure it out.  I would say in my world, over half are with charters.  And we homeschool privately, so it is not like we seek out the charter world.

I was looking for that statistic the other day and never managed to figure it out.  I would say in my world, over half are with charters.  And we homeschool privately, so it is not like we seek out the charter world.

There's no way to know. Even if you counted the number of Private School Affidavits with six students or fewer, the Private School Satellite Programs (PSPs) enroll hundreds of students, and you cannot tell whether a private school is campus-based or home-based.

My very unscientific guess is that less than 10% of CA homeschoolers are affiliated with a charter. I know far, far more psp or affidavit families than charter families.

As for the Common Core scores for homeschoolers, I would refer back to earlier discussions about the Smarter Balance tests. Unless students did significant test prep, they probably did poorly. The test was a mess. It makes zero sense to use these tests to evaluate homeschooler's performance vs public school. 

• Like 2

My dds both took the tests through our CA charter. We spent zero time on test prep. The girls both thought they were strange and confusingly worded at times. They both scored well above standard in all areas.

The score reports are not very informative but indicate they may be revised for next year.

Score results never were very informative, even with the CAT. Those tests are mostly about gathering stats for the school districts, not helping teachers teach (as the scores don't come until the school year is over) or help parents remediate (as the scores actually don't even come until the new school year is starting).

• Like 1

Score results never were very informative, even with the CAT. Those tests are mostly about gathering stats for the school districts, not helping teachers teach (as the scores don't come until the school year is over) or help parents remediate (as the scores actually don't even come until the new school year is starting).

Totally agree!  I just thought it interesting that the scores for this test appeared to give even less information than the STAR test scores.  

But, in any event, we don't worry about these tests for the reasons you mention -- they aren't really meant for the benefit of parents or students, but for the schools and districts.  We will save our worries for the SATs.

My now-18yo took the CC beta test as a junior in her charter school....she hated it, said the questions were quite confusing and she ended up just guessing out of frustration. We never got to see the scores.

With my 7th gr. student....we are happily skipping all that testing stuff for a looonng time to come.

In our area over 90% of homeschoolers are with charters. My kids thought the tests were a piece of cake. We did no test prep.

Over 80% of kids in our local public school were above or at level. Kids did great in our area.

WOW! Really? Where do you live? I've lived in 3 different regions of Ca and charters have never been more than a nominal presence.

When did you get your kids' scores? We still haven't received ours and I'm a tiny bit curious about our results.

In our area over 90% of homeschoolers are with charters. My kids thought the tests were a piece of cake. We did no test prep.

Over 80% of kids in our local public school were above or at level. Kids did great in our area.

I'd say the majority of homeschoolers in our area are with charters, as well, but I have no stats to back that up.

The public schools in our area did not do so well -- 80% at or above standards sounds like you are in a pretty good district.  Our district had only a little more than 50% at or above standards in ELA and less than 50% at or above standards in math.  I dunno.  It seemed like kind of a crazy test, but all I have to go on is what my dds reported to me.  

• Like 1

WOW! Really? Where do you live? I've lived in 3 different regions of Ca and charters have never been more than a nominal presence.

When did you get your kids' scores? We still haven't received ours and I'm a tiny bit curious about our results.

We are in a coastal area. Almost everybody I know uses charters. The one in our area is very generous with funds and very minimal on control, so most people really feel like the tradeoff between dollars and testing is worth it. 

You should get the testing results by mail. School scores are on the website. 

• Like 4

I'd say the majority of homeschoolers in our area are with charters, as well, but I have no stats to back that up.

The public schools in our area did not do so well -- 80% at or above standards sounds like you are in a pretty good district.  Our district had only a little more than 50% at or above standards in ELA and less than 50% at or above standards in math.  I dunno.  It seemed like kind of a crazy test, but all I have to go on is what my dds reported to me.  

Yes, it's among the "top" districts. They were among the first to implement the Common Core and have been drilling for this test for two years at the expense of probably more interesting learning, so we can read what we want with those results. 

• Like 2

Yes, it's among the "top" districts. They were among the first to implement the Common Core and have been drilling for this test for two years at the expense of probably more interesting learning, so we can read what we want with those results. 

A little sad, but I confess I don't know how else they could do it with classrooms full of 30ish students.  Then again, that's why we homeschool!  Our charter sounds a lot like yours:  very hands-off.  We are happy to have our girls take the tests for them because they have been very good to us.

• Like 1

We haven't gotten the official results, although our ES showed me the numbers for DD who took the test last year as a 3rd grader. She scored at the high range of "standard met" for both LA and math (within 10 points of being "above standard"). We did no test prep. She did not find the test difficult.

Compared to the district we would attend, our charter had about 10% more students at standards met or above standards level. However, our charter has a mix of programs so some kids tested were homeschooled, others attend a classroom setting 3/4/5 days a week depending on the program.

We are in a coastal area. Almost everybody I know uses charters. The one in our area is very generous with funds and very minimal on control, so most people really feel like the tradeoff between dollars and testing is worth it.

I don't know if it's as high as 90% in San Diego County, but it definitely seems the overwhelming majority here as well. And for the same reason -- large $$$$ with few requirements.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's as high as 90% in San Diego County, but it definitely seems the overwhelming majority here as well. And for the same reason -- large $$$$ with few requirements.

This is especially true for elementary.  Once you get to high school the charters get more difficult, and you have less independence.  

A couple of years ago Ocean Grove even raised the amount of money it distributed to families...the year we quit, lol!  

• Like 1

My 3rd grader tested though a charter for independent study students. Technically we are public schoolers on independent study. It took about 3 hrs to do and we got to protector at home on the computer. It was nice because I got to break it down into 3 1-hr sessions. I subbed that for her independent work. It was only math and Lang arts.

Not sure how she did. A lot of the test was above her math and Lang skills and some she could probably do but we hadn't introduced yet in that format. They have practice tests through the website but we didn't do any. I might start incorporating that into her independent work time. We'll see!

So far not too bad. I have the option to opt out of testing so if it takes up touch of our school time, we will do that likely.

This is especially true for elementary.  Once you get to high school the charters get more difficult, and you have less independence.  

A couple of years ago Ocean Grove even raised the amount of money it distributed to families...the year we quit, lol!  

There is definitely a trend local to me where long time homeschooling families will use charters for elementary and middle school, then jump ship at 9th grade and use dual enrollment at the community colleges.

However, our local district also has been relying on a homeschool charter for students who previously would have been sent to the continuation school (teen parents, teens with substance abuse/mental health issues or juvenile justice involvement).  It makes sense to me that a charter could be appropriate for those students.  (Specifically, teens who are in institutions are required to be educated but the state doesn't give specifics as to the quality of the education.  The charter school has standards higher than most of the institutions are used to providing.)

• Like 1

Some charter schools arent doing as well according to the online newspaper.  The economically disadvantaged in my district did just as poorly as they did under STAR testing. Could be access to technology at home playing a part, I am just guessing.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/education/ci_28807510/california-charter-school-scores-dive

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹

... I wonder how the Asians do so well.

Afterschooling by parents and tutors, great internet access at home, extra practice at home on Khan Academy and what have you for the Asians in my neighborhood who still have kids in public schools (B&M and all kinds of public charter). 

Also unfortunately the economic "status" of the family has a strong correlation to test scores for schools in my district. The whites did well too.  Same teachers different test outcomes 

e.g.

655 students in 3rd to 8th

Economically not disadvantaged

hispanic or latino 29 (12% of hispanic or latino)

african american 10 (24% of african American)

asians 199 (91% of asian)

white 50 (78% of white)

Economically disadvantaged

hispanic or latino 208 (88% of hispanic or latino)

african american 32 (76% of african American)

asians 19 (9% of asian)

white 14 (22% of white)

hispanic or latino 36% of test takers

african american 6% of test takers

asians 33% of test takers

white 10% of test takers

Isn't it interesting that so few test-takers are white.  Are they opting out, or are they enrolled in private schools?  

Many whites and asians are in private schools mainly for academic reasons even though some white neighbors are in religious schools that match the family religion.  My neighborhood is about 25% white, more than 50% asians according to recent census.

ETA:

Same district but failing school.  163 students in 3rd-5th. The asians did very well, the Filipinos did reasonably well, the whites did not do well.

Hispanic or Latino 32.5% of test takers

African American 1.2% of test takers

Filipino 27% Ă¢â‚¬â€¹of test takers

Asians 13.5% of test takers

White 12.9% of test takers

Economically disadvantaged

Hispanic or Latino 48 (91% of Hispanic or Latino)

African American 1

Asians 3 (14% of Asian)

Filipino 27 (61% of Filipinos)
White 9 (43% of White)

Economically not disadvantaged

Hispanic or Latino 5 (9% of Hispanic or Latino)

African American 1

Asians 18 (86% of Asian)

Filipino 17 (39% of Filipinos)
White 12 (57% of White)
Ă¢â‚¬â€¹Ă¢â‚¬â€¹
Ă¢â‚¬â€¹

• Like 1

The standards are flawed, the teaching of the standards is ineffective, the test was poorly written,

I just checked for my district's top k-5 school which did very well.  75% of the test takers are Asians and only 5% of the test takers are economically disadvantaged.

One of the failing school's profile I posted has 55% of the test takers are economically disadvantaged

Where the economically disadvantaged kids are failing most for math are in:

PROBLEM SOLVING & MODELING/DATA ANALYSIS: Using appropriate tools and strategies to solve real world and mathematical problemsĂ¢â‚¬â€¹

COMMUNICATING REASONING: Demonstrating ability to support mathematical conclusionsĂ¢â‚¬â€¹

For Language Arts, it was all four sections that they are weak in.

Has anyone written an analysis? Many factors could be responsible for the abysmal results (except for Asians). The standards are flawed, the teaching of the standards is ineffective, the test was poorly written, ... I wonder how the Asians do so well.

tiger moms

• Like 2

Guest mom2alily

My dd is enrolled in a local charter school independent study/homeschool program. She's in fourth grade. We have been in the program since the middle of kindergarten when we switched from the school's campus based program. We're in a coastal community and while many families do use charter schools, the required SBAC has caused some families to leave our program. There is no wait list for the first time in five years.

I would agree with the poster above that stated it is next to impossible to figure out the percentage of public homeschoolers v private for exactly the reasons she mentioned.

In my opinion, our school is very flexible. My daughter scored at the highest end of standard exceeded in all areas. We just use Singapore Math, played with some of the Engage NY material to challenge her ability to solve confusing problems (life is full of that), and read great fiction and non-fiction and enjoyed learning.

I know it might not always work this way, but I am grateful for a good year. I truly hope all children find a way to learn that works for them.

It is true that there is no way to know which affidavits are home based versus brick and mortar. I think there is a second issue and that is the affidavits are submitted to each district and the districts then bundle the data for for the state. Schools with 5 or fewer students are not included in this data sweep. The 5 and fewer schools are not included on any kind of public database either, so there is no way to count those students. (Someone correct me if I have the process wrong. A friend works for CDE and from what she has gathered, the online affidavits are sorted at a district versus state level. Which seems counter intuitive given the submission process.)

It is true that there is no way to know which affidavits are home based versus brick and mortar. I think there is a second issue and that is the affidavits are submitted to each district and the districts then bundle the data for for the state. Schools with 5 or fewer students are not included in this data sweep. The 5 and fewer schools are not included on any kind of public database either, so there is no way to count those students. (Someone correct me if I have the process wrong. A friend works for CDE and from what she has gathered, the online affidavits are sorted at a district versus state level. Which seems counter intuitive given the submission process.)

?? Affidavits are submitted online to the CDE. As far as I know, local districts have nothing to do with anything involving private schools.

ETA- Pardon my lack of reading comprehension. I reread your post, and I have no idea if that's how it happens. I've never heard of local districts being involved in the process, however, we do have to indicate our geographical school district when we file, so I guess it's possible.

Yup, submitted to CDE but then sorted by district. Or so I am told. I found a CDE document online awhile back that emphasized the need for district based data to make predictions for enrollment figures and thus predictions of distribution of state funding. I have no idea where I saw that though and readily admit this could be incorrect. I have not seen a way for lay people to access the 5 and under data.

ETA I think CDE has zero interest in private school enrollment but much interest in enrollment trends. If that makes any sense.

In San Diego County (where I am) the vast majority of homeschoolers I know use a charter school. There are many, many charter school in our area. Not scientific at all, but I'd guess that at least 75% of the homeschoolers I personally know use a charter (we don't).

• Like 2

Most private schools now file their affidavits on-line with the California Department of Education, not with individual districts. Private schools in general have very little interaction with the county office of education, and even less with local school districts. Between 1982 and 2004, I had zero interaction with the county office of education and only once with the local school district.

Hard-copy affidavits are also sent to the CDE in Sacramento, but there are multiple copies, the private school keeps one and mails in the rest to the CDE. I'm sure one copy (eventually) goes to the county office of education where the school is, not sure about individual districts.

Most private schools now file their affidavits on-line with the California Department of Education, not with individual districts. Private schools in general have very little interaction with the county office of education, and even less with local school districts. Between 1982 and 2004, I had zero interaction with the county office of education and only once with the local school district.

Hard-copy affidavits are also sent to the CDE in Sacramento, but there are multiple copies, the private school keeps one and mails in the rest to the CDE. I'm sure one copy (eventually) goes to the county office of education where the school is, not sure about individual districts.

Yes, they are filed centrally with CDE.  I think that has always been the case?

There are various statutes though that guide CDE in how the data is compiled.  Per the CDE website, data for 5 and fewer schools cannot be compiled or released.  I am sure somebody sees it, but it's never released to the general public.  There is data that seems to go back to local jurisdictions (county office of education makes more sense than the districts) but not that particular data set. 

It seems like the state has a vested interested in the directory and some overall interest in the total numbers, but the more detailed analysis seems to be happening at the local level.  Minus the 5 and fewer data.

And then there is no way to extrapolate back from the local data to statewide summaries.

Or at least I think that is what is happening.  If someone has information to the contrary, I would really like to know.  Out of weird curiosity I have been trying to piece this together.

Many of the previous generations of homeschoolers like the fact that there is little reliable demographic data (and given the political climate of previous generations, I understand why).  Personally I find it a little crazy making.  I mean, the data points on this thread are that between 10-90% of families are using charters.  Pretty sure none of us are lying, we are reporting what we know.  There are huge sampling issues.  :-)

Yes, they are filed centrally with CDE. I think that has always been the case?

There are various statutes though that guide CDE in how the data is compiled. Per the CDE website, data for 5 and fewer schools cannot be compiled or released. I am sure somebody sees it, but it's never released to the general public. There is data that seems to go back to local jurisdictions (county office of education makes more sense than the districts) but not that particular data set.

It seems like the state has a vested interested in the directory and some overall interest in the total numbers, but the more detailed analysis seems to be happening at the local level. Minus the 5 and fewer data.

And then there is no way to extrapolate back from the local data to statewide summaries.

Or at least I think that is what is happening. If someone has information to the contrary, I would really like to know. Out of weird curiosity I have been trying to piece this together.

Many of the previous generations of homeschoolers like the fact that there is little reliable demographic data (and given the political climate of previous generations, I understand why). Personally I find it a little crazy making. I mean, the data points on this thread are that between 10-90% of families are using charters. Pretty sure none of us are lying, we are reporting what we know. There are huge sampling issues. :-)

And there's a good many of us who are perfectly happy with huge sampling issues.

Frankly, I don't want my family to be part anybody's data points. The state has its grimy fingers all over enough of my life.

Not that I'm not personally curious. I would love to know what the correct percentage is. I'm just glad that it's not a simple thing to figure out.

And there's a good many of us who are perfectly happy with huge sampling issues.

Frankly, I don't want my family to be part anybody's data points. The state has its grimy fingers all over enough of my life.

Not that I'm not personally curious. I would love to know what the correct percentage is. I'm just glad that it's not a simple thing to figure out.

Yes, most of the homeschoolers IRL believe this. I understand why.

Shrug.

I happen to think it is misguided given the winds afoot to regulate homeschooling.  If that is the political direction that ends up happening, I would rather see oversight determined at least somewhat based on what is really happening within the homeschooling community rather than what legislators THINK is happening.

Most of the legal writings I encounter express frustration at the lack of information and, in absentia, seem ready to believe the worst.  In my professional life in mental health/criminal justice world, some of the most egregious abuse cases involve parents who invoke the homeschooling claim.  And that is what sticks in the mind of the professionals even though this is a statistically tiny segment of the population.  I think some very basic data would go a long ways to correcting the negative perception. 

But that only happens if homeschoolers are willing to participate.

And, for the most part, they are not willing.

• Like 2

Yes, they are filed centrally with CDE.  I think that has always been the case?

There are various statutes though that guide CDE in how the data is compiled.  Per the CDE website, data for 5 and fewer schools cannot be compiled or released.  I am sure somebody sees it, but it's never released to the general public.  There is data that seems to go back to local jurisdictions (county office of education makes more sense than the districts) but not that particular data set. 

It seems like the state has a vested interested in the directory and some overall interest in the total numbers, but the more detailed analysis seems to be happening at the local level.  Minus the 5 and fewer data.

Or at least I think that is what is happening.  If someone has information to the contrary, I would really like to know.  Out of weird curiosity I have been trying to piece this together.

Many of the previous generations of homeschoolers like the fact that there is little reliable demographic data (and given the political climate of previous generations, I understand why).  Personally I find it a little crazy making.  I mean, the data points on this thread are that between 10-90% of families are using charters.  Pretty sure none of us are lying, we are reporting what we know.  There are huge sampling issues.  :-)

IDK. It's reasonable for the state to keep a directory of private schools, but that's all the data available. No testing of any kind is required for private schools, no specific ages of students, no attendance required to be reported, no graduation information. Local counties of education have no more information than the state does, so I don't know what kind of "more detailed analysis" might be happening locally. Counties of education would still have the names of private schools with fewer than 5 students; it is only that those schools are not included in the private school directory.

Students enrolled in charter schools are public school students; the state has access to attendance "records" (it is how the charters--and other public schools--are funded), immunization records, and test scores. The state will know whether a charter school is home-based or campus-based, and will have test scores and whatnot. There will still be no way to separate home-based private schools from campus-based private schools, of course, and so the state will never have a really good handle on how many children are actually taught at home by their parents.

IDK. It's reasonable for the state to keep a directory of private schools, but that's all the data available. No testing of any kind is required for private schools, no specific ages of students, no attendance required to be reported, no graduation information. Local counties of education have no more information than the state does, so I don't know what kind of "more detailed analysis" might be happening locally. Counties of education would still have the names of private schools with fewer than 5 students; it is only that those schools are not included in the private school directory.

Students enrolled in charter schools are public school students; the state has access to attendance "records" (it is how the charters--and other public schools--are funded), immunization records, and test scores. The state will know whether a charter school is home-based or campus-based, and will have test scores and whatnot. There will still be no way to separate home-based private schools from campus-based private schools, of course, and so the state will never have a really good handle on how many children are actually taught at home by their parents.

The directory (location) is not the only data.  Enrollment counts by grade are there (which is different from attendance).  As are staff counts.  As are school type (eg coeducational vs single sex), and if state special education services are offered.  There is also voluntary additional info such as religious affiliation.

Otherwise I think you and I are saying the same thing.  It's impossible to count the private/independent homeschoolers.

The directory (location) is not the only data.  Enrollment counts by grade are there (which is different from attendance).  As are staff counts.  As are school type (eg coeducational vs single sex), and if state special education services are offered.  There is also voluntary additional info such as religious affiliation.

Otherwise I think you and I are saying the same thing.  It's impossible to count the private/independent homeschoolers.

That's true. :-)

Got our dd's results back from her testing today. She did much better than I expected. She scored at grade level for Lang and slight below for math but approaching grade level. The test covers material for skills that should be acquired by the end of 3rd grade. We'll test again in spring. So pretty good.

We got ours this week, also. The kids did well. I'm amazed at my internal response to that. Are we all just conditioned to feel vindicated and approved of by test results? As much as I have railed against Smarter Balance, my internal emotional response to their scores was to somehow feel validated in my teaching skills. Ugh. This is why this country is addicted to testing.

That said, the scores were not helpful to me as a teacher. The breakdown is so minimal, I have no take away that would help me to grow them. The test did accurately reflect my kids general strengths. One child scored at level in LA and above level in math, the other child scored the flip opposite. I could have told you that without the test.

We quit our charter this year, so no testing for us. 

• Like 3

I just got my daughter's results for 5th grade in brick and mortar public school. She scored at the Standard Exceeded level in all areas, no surprise there. The school's overall results were pretty good too. Over 50% of the students exceeded standards in math and language arts.

We are in a coastal/semi coastal area where most of the home schooled kids I know are with different charters.

I agree the breakdown of the scores is minimal so they're not really helpful.

The score results I think have some reassurance but told me what I already knew. I knew dd's reading started taking off more in 2nd and could tell age was "caught up" this year. We did not intro formal math until 2nd grade, so I figured she'd been making progress but not probably quite at grade level yet. I'm not concerned because I think that it'll level out in a year or two. I'm trusting the process of a more gentle approach to early grade school.

I suppose my co-op in SD is bucking this trend. We are likely the largest homeschool co-op in SD. This year, we have about 175 families. We also permit charter school families to join our co-op. However, even though I don't believe more than 20% of our membership does charter. The vast majority are privately homeschooling. Then again, that's probably why they are here. There are quite also a lot of CC campuses across SD. The vast majority of the families are also privately homeschooling. We are here, but usually in a different orbit than charter families.

SD is a bit strange though as we have a LOT of hybrid charters here versus more traditional full time on campus type charters. There are so many here that it's actually hard to keep track of them all.  

As far as our homeschool group, I would say more families use the charter school then don't but I still know some families that do the private school affidavit. CC is popular in our homeschool community and many CC members also use the charter. Of the two homeschool groups I've joined and as far as I know CC does not bar families in the charter to join although technically you can argue that they are public schoolers on independent study. However our charter is extremely flexible with educational philosophies and allows parents to chose your own curriculum. Lots of Christian families homeschool and as long as work samples are secular using Christian curriculum (with your own funds) is fine.