Menu

My Side of the Mountain with a female protagonist?

My 8-year-old daughter LOVED My Side of the Mountain, and will be starting in on the sequels once I order them.  In the meantime, I gave her Julie of the Wolves.  She is very interested in wilderness survival-type stories and other dramatic adventures, but she prefers a young female protagonist.  She is enjoying Julie of the Wolves, but said that Julie is more of a woman than a girl, and she would really like an adventure about a  girl.  Does this book exist?  Maybe Island of the Blue Dolphins?

• Like 1

Island of the Blue Dolphins was exactly the first thing that came to mind for me. Scott O'Dell has some others that she might like that also have female protagonists... trying to remember what exactly, but I know I read a pile of them at that age.

Very different vibe (no survival elements) but she might also like the Calpurnia Tate books. (Note that these books are probably not for young earth Christians as they explore evolution) - there's a ton of naturalist stuff in them. On the nature books theme, Owls in the Family is another good one. And Gone Away Lake.

She might also like Gary Paulson's books, like Hatchet, though I think of them as being for a slightly older audience. They're not inappropriate though and they're all survival themed. But also all male protagonists.

• Like 1

You could try some of the American Girl series. They were better than I thought they'd be, and my girls loved them at that age. For survival adventures, look especially for the Kaya books, Caroline books, Kirsten books, and Addy books. The other books are fine, too, but these four sets have the most survival-type adventures in them.

Girl of the Limberlost -- not exactly a fit, is it?

The Courage of Sarah Noble, by Alice Dalgliesh -- not my favorite book, though

Calico Bush, by Rachel Field -- a little sad? protagonist is 13 years old

Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran, by Kenneth Thomasma -- a girl is captured by another tribe, is enslaved, then runs away (1000 miles of wilderness, alone); I enjoyed this one, and couldn't put it down, but I'm not sure about it for an eight year old?

Sarah Whitcher's Story, by Elizabeth Yates

Edited to Add: We read and enjoyed the older series of AG books, not the newer series, "BeForever." I don't know for sure, but it seems as though that new series has had some significant changes made to it. I don't know if I would or wouldn't recommend the new series. HTH.

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions!  She has read and enjoyed The Courage of Sarah Noble, Sarah Whitcher's Story, and many of the American Girl adventure books.  I will need to get her The Far Side of the Mountain right away if Sam's sister is in it.  That sounds perfect.  I have not heard of Ronia, The Robber's Daugher; Nim's Island; Raven's Mountain; Calico Bush or Naya Nuki.  I will look them up and get them added to the list if they seem suitable for an 8-year-old.  

She is reading at a slightly advanced level for her age, as she can really read anything at this point; but she is not mature enough to enjoy adventures and drama of a more psychological nature (she claims nothing is happening).  She still needs action and adventure to hold her interest.  She seems to most enjoy somewhat realistic adventures, particularly wilderness survival stories, as she spends so much time in the woods with her siblings building shelters and acting out survival stories.  I am trying to expand her interests to include stories with male protagonists, so I was thrilled that she enjoyed My Side of the Mountain.

Amazon thinks I might also be interested in Daughter of the Mountains and Esperanza Rising.  I don't know if you have read any of these.

Avi's True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is historical fiction, but I used it as a read-aloud when I taught B&M school and the kids really liked it.  That said, Charlotte is about 12 in the story and ends up being falsely accused of murder at sea; it's a fairly clean book (I read it in a Christian school), but it's pretty intense (she's in danger of a death sentence), so she may or may not be ready for it yet.  (It sure is a good read, though--my students loved it!)

I also loved Gary Paulsen's books when I was a kid, even though they're about boys.  I've read Esperanza Rising, but for whatever reason it didn't stick in my mind, so I guess I'm no help there.

• Like 3

I don't know how sensitive she is, but Calico Bush has a horrific scene where a baby is burned in a fire. It would have given my kids serious nightmares.  Just a FYI.  Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare was a good one, though.  Caddie Woodlawn? Swallows and Amazons?  Harriet the Spy?

My dd liked Esperanza Rising very much at around that age. 

• Like 2

She read Baby Island and Caddie Woodlawn last year and loved them.  Thanks for the warning about Calico Bush.  That might bother her.  She is adventurous, but highly sensitive (cried all morning on our vacation, because she thought she had seen someone injuring a baby on the hotel TV -- I think it was supposed to be a joke).

I will check out Esperanza Rising.  I didn't realize she objected to "older" protagonists.  That was a new one, which I think I might ignore.  How many wilderness adventure stories are there about 8-year-old girls, anyway?

The Mighty Girl website looks really fun.  Lots of good lists and resources.

• Like 1

Hi I'm new! I would recommend Mandy by Julie Andrews (yes otherwise known as Mary Poppins) While not survival per-se it is about a girl (10 or so) her finding a house and fixing it up and she has to be very resourceful in how she does things. I loved it at her age and my boys 6, 8, 10 absolutely loved it! I feel it would follow along the themes mentioned very nicely.

Hi, welcome!  I had not looked at Mandy, but that plot sounds like exactly the type of story my daughter would like.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Island of the Blue Dolphins was exactly the first thing that came to mind for me. Scott O'Dell has some others that she might like that also have female protagonists... trying to remember what exactly, but I know I read a pile of them at that age.

Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell is another strong, survivalist female character. 8 might be too young though...it is set during the revolutionary war and a family member is tarred and feathered. She is also accused of witchcraft (mostly for revenge for spurning a man's attentions as I recall). I read it at 12 and didn't find it to be too much then--I was really into historical fiction/"based on a true story." It might be one to note for later.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

What a treasure!  I did not realize how many other fabulous books Lindgren wrote.  I was only familiar with the Pippi series as a child.

I was going to suggest some of the other books in the  Pippi Longstocking series, like Pippi In the South Seas. These books are on a 5th-6th grade reading level.