Menu

I'm sad. I said I wouldn't be, but I am

athomeontheprairie

My bil's wife is 9 months pregnant with the first baby (yay!). normally this time of year we go to their house and spend 3 days going to the state fair. I'm glad. It's good. We see them off and on during our stay, but they do their own thing and join us when they like (she doesn't like certain exhibits, and my family does a lot of the kids activities). It's good, for both of us. Really.

This year, I told her two months ago of she didn't want us to come down, that's absolutely gone. And it is! I don't to stress her, I don't want to contaminate her house with kids gems right before her baby (first baby, remember?) :-) I a want her to take care of her and not feel like she needs to entertain us.

Well, two months ago, she said she really want up to having kids over. I get it, really I do. I'm a package deal. I come with 4 kids. So this yet we aren't going.

Except, now pictures are going up. She's at the fair with 3 kids (her nieces. But they live in that town-and so aren't at her house). My il's are going down (3 adults and a high schooler). My dh goes with his job.

And we won't be going. I can't do the fair in one day (too much driving, walking, etc) there's no hotels available (everything is booked up for to the fair, for 60 miles in all directions). I don't want to camp with 4 kids (btdt, too much work with little ones).

I'm so glad she said no. I'm glad I gave her "permission" (she doesn't like to say no to anyone). I'm glad she is taking care of herself and this baby. Really I am. But this is the first time in 12 years we won't have been at the fair, and I'm sad. And since it seems we are the only ones not going (because I have kids) it makes me sad. Everyone here is disappointed.

Just needed a place to vent. Just an I understand, but it's the right decision and yes it's hard.

I'm so glad she said no. I'm glad I gave her "permission" (she doesn't like to say no to anyone). I'm glad she is taking care of herself and this baby. Really I am. But this is the first time in 12 years we won't have been at the fair, and I'm sad. And since it seems we are the only ones not going (because I have kids) it makes me sad. Everyone here is disappointed.

Just needed a place to vent. Just an I understand, but it's the right decision and yes it's hard.

I'm glad she said no.

I'm glad you gave her permission.

I'm sorry that you're sad.  I understand.  (((((((Hugs)))))

It was absolutely the best decision and it's still okay that it's hard and bittersweet.  

Next year, right?!

• Like 11

Staying further out isn't a bad idea. But further out really means halfway home. And if I'm already halfway home... By the time I check into a hotel, gather luggage and get kids settled I could be (almost) home.

And yup, there are other things to do. Fun times ahead in October... But we still will miss the fair. We like it :-)

It's good. But I'm still sad we're missing out! Thanks for listening hive, I needed to tell someone and absolutely do not want her to hear least she feel guilty. I love her and my bil.

Just an out-there idea:

When we wanted to visit friends during a sold-out weekend at local hotels we were able to rent an RV for a very reasonable price. Since we weren't driving it far we didn't have to worry much about petrol, and we simply parked it at friend's house...it gave all of us space:)

Would something like this be an option?

• Like 1

:grouphug:

Look at it that next year, you will all be really, really excited about the fair since you didn't get to go this year. 

Make sure you take a little time to sit around with the family & talk about previous years' memories & their favorite parts.

• Like 1