Menu

For those who heavily use the library

I went to a thrift store and stocked up on various sized bags. Some beach style totes, most sturdy canvas or ballistic-type nylon style shoulder or messenger bags, and a few backpacks. Spent like $10 for as many bags. I chose different sizes to accomodate different things - I'm chronically disorganized and tend to lose or misplace library things ::blush:: so now I keep the books in the bags when we're not using the books, and just keep the bags in our schooling area. Smaller bags hold DVDs and CDs, which have to be returned sooner than do books. Medium bags and backpacks, the kids can help me carry to the car. Large bags will hold all of the oversized materials. Different bags also hold different "interests" - for instance, books for my son versus books for my daughter, or history books versus fun reading books. Just depends on what we've checked out that visit.

Not the most efficient, but it works for us. I now don't lose or misplace library material, so that is a good thing!, but I'm still always late to return everything LOL. We do library visits once or twice a week, alternating between three local libraries. I don't think we've ever taken out 50 at one time, but we often take out 20-30 things per visit and have 50+ things out at any one time from the various libraries.

Canvas bags I get free when I renew a museum membership (lots of folks here tote the green Field Museum bags everywhere!). I also use the drive-up to drop off books before parking and going inside - we usually have a very heavy load to return! Then we try and limit our check-outs to what each person can carry themselves, in bags and/or arms.

I have a huge, heavy duty black canvas tote that someone gave me as a hand-me-down awhile back. We have really put that thing to the test, and it's held up amazingly well. Just this week we graduated to also using one of my Whole Foods reusables. I always have a million reusable grocery bags in my car, so I just grab what I need and go.

Everyone has a bookbag. But since I'm usually in the library a few times a week (I work there a bit), it doesn't get too difficult. Though sometimes I've got a full bookbag and a big tower of books at the same time...

(Working at the library is actually the worst, because you spend hours there and see interesting books the whole time. Every time I work the reference desk, I come home with 20 books just for me.)

What do you use to carry your books to and from the library? Right now we use a plastic beach tote but it is in need of replacing. We usually bring home about 50 books a week.

What do you use?

I use my L.L. Bean bag canvas tote, but I've never attempted 50 books. Heck, we're not even allowed to have 50 out at once. I think the limit is 35. We live about 3 1/2 miles from the library and go about 2-3 times per week.

I use an LL Bean boat & tote bag, but it wouldn't carry 50 books. I remember in TWTM that SWB and Jessie Wise mentioned using a laundry basket for all of their books when SWB was little....

I remember that, too, but I tried fitting all of our weekly library items into one of our laundry baskets at home, and they wouldn't fit! It wasn't even close. Maybe they had larger laundry baskets?

I used to use a jumbo laundry basket, but that was just too heavy. Now, with a $10 coupon from the Teacher's Club, I use the Office Depot crate on wheels and love it. It's big! it's light, the handle is long enough, and although sometimes dc have to carry a few books too, it works great. Easier than the basket and several bags we have tried in the past.

What do you use to carry your books to and from the library? Right now we use a plastic beach tote but it is in need of replacing. We usually bring home about 50 books a week.

What do you use?

I like big canvas bags, especially because I can fold extras up inside one and then parcel the full bags out amongst the kids and me.