Menu

British children's literature

Calizzy

Given that London is a highly multicultural place (at the time of the Olympics, I saw it written that more languages were spoken in the neighbouring borough's schools than in the Olympic Village) here are some suggestions for children's books about coming to the UK from elsewhere.  Your children, as new arrivals, might find them interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2014/oct/13/black-history-month-best-books-immigration-refugees

• Like 2

You've mostly had recommendations for classics (good to read any time, of course), but I wonder if reading modern fiction would better suited to cultural acclimation, if that's what you're after. I'd highly recommend phoning whichever will be your local library in London and asking for recommendations of books that are popular with kids your kids' ages. That way they'll be up on the slang and the local kid culture. If some titles aren't available stateside, you can get your amazon.co.uk account going early (the shipping is still pretty reasonable, even international). 

Not sure what age your children are. We moved here while my dc's were still in primary school. They had read Peter Pan, Mary Poppins, Milly Molly Mandy, and Harry Potter. HP was probably the best for conversations.....

I am sure they had read others. Libraries and charity shops here have lots of Blyton and Horrible History books so I would wait on thoze until you arrive.

A popular picture book series at the library here is Winnie the Witch. My kids had read some of those before we moved.

You've mostly had recommendations for classics (good to read any time, of course), but I wonder if reading modern fiction would better suited to cultural acclimation, if that's what you're after. I'd highly recommend phoning whichever will be your local library in London and asking for recommendations of books that are popular with kids your kids' ages. That way they'll be up on the slang and the local kid culture. If some titles aren't available stateside, you can get your amazon.co.uk account going early (the shipping is still pretty reasonable, even international). 

My local library in Scotland is full of wizard and fantasy stories, and teen angst tales.  Both of my boys have read a lot of fantasy because they weren't interested in the angst....

• Like 2

My kids love the Noddy stories by Enid Blyton.  Some of the older editions can have some culturally insensitive bits, but newer versions do not.

Mary Poppins.

The BFG

Tom's Midnight Garden

Everything by Sendak, Ahlberg, or Potter.

My Naughty Little Sister

Goodnight Mister Tom

Fern Hollow books

Rupert annuals - you can often get these used, they can be weird, but have an unmistakable British quality.

The Shoes books by Noel Streatfield (any of them). Possibly Back Home as well.  Harry Potter, yes. :)

FWIW, I would pre-read Peter Pan and Mary Poppins before reading them to the kids.  Peter Pan gets a bit colorful in the description and actions of Tink, and Mary Poppins is downright racist.  We made it halfway through before deciding it just was not an appropriate book to enrich a 4yo's vocabulary.

The Shoes books by Noel Streatfield (any of them). Possibly Back Home as well.  Harry Potter, yes. :)

FWIW, I would pre-read Peter Pan and Mary Poppins before reading them to the kids.  Peter Pan gets a bit colorful in the description and actions of Tink, and Mary Poppins is downright racist.  We made it halfway through before deciding it just was not an appropriate book to enrich a 4yo's vocabulary.

Only one of the chapters in the first Mary Poppins books is racist. Apparently the author re-wrote that chapter when she realized her error.

Swallows and Amazons, Forever!

But, really, the UK is just so, so multicultural that there are many different types of British Children. My kids adore British Children's lit and we have read almost all the writers and specific titles listed here and I could list many more. But that isn't the UK of today, nor was it really the UK of the time when lots of those classic books were written.

I would go to Amazon UK and check out the top ebooks or paper books for your kids' age range. That will let you know what their peers are reading. I know that Amazon US has newsletters (marketing letters, lol) for different age ranges that you can sign up for.

• Like 1