Menu

Good old days...who else wore bread bags on their feet all winter in elementary school?

Ottakee

Not Twin Fair or Two Guys?

:lol:

Twin Fair sounds vaguely familiar. I am pretty sure there was still a Two Guys in North Tonawanda , where dh is from, when we got married. My mom actually sewed all our clothes so going shopping to Hills for shoes or boots was a very big deal :) I remember a Gold Circle opening near us but that was a little upscale for our family.

I never did, but my boys do.  They have good winter boots which they wear all winter, but spend much of the rest of the year in rubber boots. (They slide on easily!  We live in the country!).  The plastic bags come in handy when the insides of their boots are wet, either because they stepped in the creek and the water overflowed the tops of their boots, or there's a hole in them.  Or in the winter  when their insulated boots haven't dried out from melted snow yet from the last time they were worn.  It's a good way to protect their socks from soaking!

Yes! And galoshes (when we grew into Dad's old ones). I was married and I think on my second child before I realized I really didn't need to have a kitchen drawer dedicated to saving bread bags. We didn't need to do that where we lived, but it was such an ingrained habit. Last slice of bread, turn the bag inside out, get all the crumbs out, fold up (or if lazy, squish up), and stuff in right hand side kitchen drawer. 

• Like 1

I was in elementary school in the early 1970s.  In the early years we all wore bread bags over sneakers inside galoshes.  By late elementary I think we had transitioned to real winter boots, but they weren't very warm.  We still wore bread bags for playing in the snow for extended periods.  

No--I grew up in Hawaii. But I don't think dh did either, and he grew up in VT. At least he's never talked about it. I'll have to ask him. The first time I ever heard of wearing bread bags inside your shoes was years ago on this forum.

I did have a friend in high school who could have used bread bags. She drove an old VW bug with rusted out floorboards. When it rained the water splashed up from the road into her car and her shoes always got soaked. :laugh:

I never heard of that until someone mentioned it here on the boards a few years ago. When I thought about it though, I realized  why it was foreign to me. At the age when I was walking to school in the snow, bread either came in paper bags from the Italian bakery or cellophane bags that ripped to shreds when you tried to open them. By the time bread came mainly in plastic bags I was in 9th grade and living in Florida.

I did have a friend in high school who could have used bread bags. She drove an old VW bug with rusted out floorboards. When it rained the water splashed up from the road into her car and her shoes always got soaked. :laugh:

I used to have a car like that.  Good times!

• Like 1

We did. Over the shoes inside the rubber boots. There weren't really that many kinds of lined, warm boots, and the bread bags did make it easier to put the boots on over the shoes. You couldn't really wear only socks inside the boots. When I was older, we had more typical snow boots that were lined and reasonably waterproof (as long as the snow wasn't really slushy and melting). We had the one-piece snowsuits for a long time too. Snow pants were such a nice upgrade when they became widely available! 

Yes! And galoshes (when we grew into Dad's old ones). I was married and I think on my second child before I realized I really didn't need to have a kitchen drawer dedicated to saving bread bags. We didn't need to do that where we lived, but it was such an ingrained habit. Last slice of bread, turn the bag inside out, get all the crumbs out, fold up (or if lazy, squish up), and stuff in right hand side kitchen drawer. 

Exactly!  :)   Well, except for the squishing.  Lazy squishing was just not tolerated!  ;)

We had multi-hand-me-down leaky boots.  Sock, bag, boot, done. 

I never had mittens on a string, though I wanted them.  We had a full drawer of extra hats/mittens/gloves/scarves, but none of the mittens were the string kind, and mom wasn't about to spend money on it!  I had no choice but to be responsible and take care of my mittens ... darn it.

• Like 1

Exactly!  :)   Well, except for the squishing.  Lazy squishing was just not tolerated!  ;)

We had multi-hand-me-down leaky boots.  Sock, bag, boot, done. 

I never had mittens on a string, though I wanted them.  We had a full drawer of extra hats/mittens/gloves/scarves, but none of the mittens were the string kind, and mom wasn't about to spend money on it!  I had no choice but to be responsible and take care of my mittens ... darn it.

Me too!

My mom once did splurge on those clips that clip the mitten to the sleeve when she found some at a garage sale. They weren't nearly as cool, and they weren't long enough to do anything but get in the way. 

Did you have an ugly old scarf some grumpy grandma knitted out of nasty acrylic for you that you used as a mountain climbing rope for climbing snow hills left by snowplows until it stretched to about 30 feet long, too?

^_^

• Like 1