Menu

Book a Week 2015: BW34 - National Book Festival

Robin M

I told my husband about the discussion of the The Prisoner on this thread, and he told me about the many takes that were necessary to get the desired footage of Rover popping out of the water.  Now he (like you, Violet Crown) wants to re-watch the series.

Last night I finished another re-read that has been my bedtime reading for several nights ~ Patricia Briggs' Cry Wolf.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

It's been years since I've seen The Prisoner. Clearly I must invite myself over to somebody's house and rewatch the episodes. Patrick MacGoohan trivia: did you know he was the murderer on four episodes of Columbo? You'd think Peter Falk would start to be suspicious when he appeared.

Watch party! I've never watched it. I'll bring popcorn.

That's so funny about Patrick MacGoohan. Frankly, I was becoming suspicious of Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote. Everywhere she went somebody died. I was a kid when that series came out and I remember telling my parents that if I saw her coming I would run the other way. A fun modern twist would have been if she actually was the murderer and the last few shows of the series we got to see how she did it.

Not sure if you caught the mention last spring of the Canongate Myth Series, introduced to us by Rose. It includes a volume by Ali Smith.  Last April I wrote:

I had forgotten about these. One of our libraries has almost all of them. I should stock up before the holidays, maybe.

• Like 7

That's so funny about Patrick MacGoohan. Frankly, I was becoming suspicious of Angela Lansbury in Murder She Wrote. Everywhere she went somebody died. I was a kid when that series came out and I remember telling my parents that if I saw her coming I would run the other way. A fun modern twist would have been if she actually was the murderer and the last few shows of the series we got to see how she did it.

Angela Lansbury as the ultimate unreliable narrator.  I was hoping for a crossover episode with her and Matlock. :laugh:

• Like 6

Watch party! I've never watched it. I'll bring popcorn.

I had forgotten about these. One of our libraries has almost all of them. I should stock up before the holidays, maybe.

When Universal Studios Orlando first opened, Murder She Wrote was one of the attractions. I think they were illustrating how a show was put together after filming out of seqence. They did key scenes with all the actors. Everyone (except Angela) could have been guilty. The secret was how they put it together and which final scene they picked. Not sure if that was just the attraction or how they made the show. I think it was every show but......Kathy do you remember?

Not sure if anyone else saw it but the Prisoner had a rececnt remake (2012 per google) that I watched and liked to Dh's horror. His best friend and I were faithfully watching and discussing it, drove him nuts. I can't remember it at all now other than I thought many scenes similar. I might have saved it, need to check.

• Like 4

I finished Breakfast at Tiffany's. My favorite part was the added short story called Christmas Memory. 😊

I'm now reading Death in Kashmir by M.M. Kaye. Next up is Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie, for my book club meeting next Thursday. I'm trying to clear out library books and some thrift store books this coming month to make room for my spooky October choices. Yes, I'm already looking ahead. I can't wait.

• Like 6

I finished Breakfast at Tiffany's. My favorite part was the added short story called Christmas Memory. 😊

I love A Christmas Memory. A beautiful & well-told story.

The Martian is a lot of fun. I can see why it has been hugely popular. And why it's being made into a movie.

Shukriyya, re: two different ways to read the story. It reminded me of a book I wanted (but didn't buy as my shelves are full): Tristano by Nanni Balestrini. I would still like to get a copy someday.

This book is unique as no other novel can claim to be: one of 109,027,350,432,000 possible variations of the same work of fiction.

Inspired by the legend of Tristan and Isolde, Tristano  was first published in 1966 in Italian. But only recently has digital technology made it possible to realise the author’s original vision. The novel comprises ten chapters, and the fifteen pairs of paragraphs in each of these are shuffled anew for each published copy. No two versions are the same. The random variations between copies enact the variegations of the human heart, as exemplified by the lovers at the centre of the story.

The copies of the English translation of Tristano  are individually numbered, starting from 10,000 (running sequentially from the Italian and German editions). Included is a foreword by Umberto Eco explaining how Balestrini’s experiment with the physical medium of the novel demonstrates â€˜that originality and creativity are nothing more than the chance handling of a combination’.

• Like 8

The Martian is a lot of fun. I can see why it has been hugely popular. And why it's being made into a movie.

I started The Martian last night when I could barely keep my eyes open and had to force myself to put it down knowing my alarm going off at 5:30 comes awfully early.  I read it some before we started school this morning, too.  I'm about 10% of the way through it and other than the rambly repetition (which I get why, but it kind of annoys me on occasion), I'm enjoying is quite a lot.  My 13 year old reminds us daily that the movie comes out on 10/2 which would make going to see it a fabulous birthday present since he turns 14 on 10/3.

Calling Me Home made me go, "Oh God, WHY? So saaaad." But it was worth the read.

Calling Me Home is one of literally two books that have ever made me cry.  The very end.  So many feels.  I read it for a book club.  The discussion was led by a white woman who is married to a black man.  We talked about how even now their marriage is looked down on by some people.  Here in San Antonio people don't blink twice at them because interracial marriages are quite common (most commonly Hispanic and white simply because those are the two most common races in this city), but when they lived in San Diego they were surprised by how much negativity they received about being married and how much their children were made fun of for being biracial.  The book group was full of women from my church and we wondered if it was bad that we were all really rooting for the two characters to sleep together even though they weren't married lol

• Like 6

I started The Martian last night when I could barely keep my eyes open and had to force myself to put it down knowing my alarm going off at 5:30 comes awfully early. 

Glad to hear that you're both enjoying the book!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

When I heard about the two different versions of 'How to be Both' I thought of you :D

:lol:

Well, and then there's also Hopscotch, which a few of us BaWers read.

And The Dictionary of the Khazars, which has a male & female version to read. (I think only one sentence is different between the two.) And there may be a third version of that book? (Saying that from memory; not skimming the summaries right now to verify.) Haven't read any version of this book, but it's on my maybe-to-read list.

• Like 6

Morgan and I finished listening to Mr. & Mrs. Bunny, Detectives Extraordinaire by Pollly Horvath.  It was funny and entertaining. I like it when kid's books are read by the author.  That way you get to hear all the voices the way they were intended.

I finished reading Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass last night.  I think it is a wonderful story, about courage and love and redemption and fate and free will, about growing up and making choices. I cried pretty solidly through the last 1/4 of the book.  I think it's going to really resonate with my 13 year old. I wouldn't have wanted her to read it any earlier, but I think she will really connect with Lyra and Will and the choices they had to make.

What I realized more clearly with this reading, though, is that it is not an "atheist" book.  Sure, it isn't compatible with a Christian worldview, but it isn't compatible with a scientific materialist world view either.  I mean, people have 3-part souls. Ghosts are real. Angels are real.  As are many Biblical stories. Consciousness is caused by dark matter.  It's actually a very spiritual view of the universe, not a scientific view. I guess that surprised me, because I've read interviews with him where he is very clear about being an atheist and resenting religious readings of his book. But it's not at all incompatible with a kind of new-age view of religion.  

• Like 7

The nerve!

Regards,

Kareni

I know I had no right to be annoyed, but...

I finished reading Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass last night.  I think it is a wonderful story, about courage and love and redemption and fate and free will, about growing up and making choices. I cried pretty solidly through the last 1/4 of the book.  I think it's going to really resonate with my 13 year old. I wouldn't have wanted her to read it any earlier, but I think she will really connect with Lyra and Will and the choices they had to make.

Thanks for this. I picked it up at a library book sale with a vague memory that it's good. I hadn't given it to DS yet because I wanted to pre-skim it. Maybe I'll hang on to it longer.

• Like 5

Well, and then there's also Hopscotch, which a few of us BaWers read.

And The Dictionary of the Khazars, which has a male & female version to read. (I think only one sentence is different between the two.) And there may be a third version of that book? (Saying that from memory; not skimming the summaries right now to verify.) Haven't read any version of this book, but it's on my maybe-to-read list.

Re the bolded...seriously? This has fascinating ramifications for the possibilities of how gender might shape language and vice versa. I'm intrigued.

Morgan and I finished listening to Mr. & Mrs. Bunny, Detectives Extraordinaire by Pollly Horvath.  It was funny and entertaining. I like it when kid's books are read by the author.  That way you get to hear all the voices the way they were intended.

What I realized more clearly with this reading, though, is that it is not an "atheist" book.  Sure, it isn't compatible with a Christian worldview, but it isn't compatible with a scientific materialist world view either.  I mean, people have 3-part souls. Ghosts are real. Angels are real.  As are many Biblical stories. Consciousness is caused by dark matter.  It's actually a very spiritual view of the universe, not a scientific view. I guess that surprised me, because I've read interviews with him where he is very clear about being an atheist and resenting religious readings of his book. But it's not at all incompatible with a kind of new-age view of religion.  

Oh oh, this is on ds's tbr list and he's not keen on sad endings let alone sad themes. Hmm...

• Like 7

Have y'all discussed the novel The Wake which has created quite a stir in the UK?  NPR's All Things Considered program has a story on it.  I was intrigued that the author, Paul Kingsnorth, homeschools! 

I think I would have to devote long reading times to it to get into the 'middle language'/cadence of it.

Could be interesting....

• Like 5

Have y'all discussed the novel The Wake which has created quite a stir in the UK?  NPR's All Things Considered program has a story on it.  I was intrigued that the author, Paul Kingsnorth, homeschools! 

What an interesting article, Jane.  Thanks for sharing it.

The book does indeed sound intriguing.  I've never read it, but it reminds me of Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker which also uses a created language.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Re the bolded...seriously? This has fascinating ramifications for the possibilities of how gender might shape language and vice versa. I'm intrigued.

Oh oh, this is on ds's tbr list and he's not keen on sad endings let alone sad themes. Hmm...

It's terribly sad.  Beautiful, but really really sad.

• Like 6

I know I had no right to be annoyed, but...

Thanks for this. I picked it up at a library book sale with a vague memory that it's good. I hadn't given it to DS yet because I wanted to pre-skim it. Maybe I'll hang on to it longer.

Has he read the first two books in the series? The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife? I definitely recommend it.  The third one doesn't really work without at least reading the 2nd one beforehand.

• Like 6

So The Martian was not one of the books DH had on hold.  :glare:

BaW problems.  :sad:

DH says Thank You.  A few of those were on his to-read list.

• Like 6

My current standard for sadness is Where the Red Fern Grows. :crying:  Sadder than that? 

Well, I won't intentionally read books where animals die. I'm way more upset by animal suffering than human suffering.  :leaving: So no, not that sad.  Sad in a beautiful and kind of uplifting way, not sad in a now-I-want-to-kill-myself way.

• Like 8

So I feel like a big jerk.  One of my book clubs is reading The Miniaturist this month.  We are meeting at my house to discuss it tomorrow night.  I FORGOT TO READ THE BOOK.  Oops.  I don't know how but I remembered that everyone was coming over and have food planned and I just now sat down to check some email and look at Goodreads and I realized that I forgot about the book.

This will just be our secret, okay?

No telling.

• Like 11

So I feel like a big jerk.  One of my book clubs is reading The Miniaturist this month.  We are meeting at my house to discuss it tomorrow night.  I FORGOT TO READ THE BOOK.  Oops.  I don't know how but I remembered that everyone was coming over and have food planned and I just now sat down to check some email and look at Goodreads and I realized that I forgot about the book.

No telling.

Well, it has a cool cover. I guess you could talk about that.

• Like 7

One of my book clubs is reading The Miniaturist this month.  ...    I FORGOT TO READ THE BOOK.  Oops.

Oops, indeed!  I agree with Stacia that it has an entrancing cover. 

It seems to me that a book entitled The Miniaturist should be short, not over 400 pages. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

I'm so excited that both multi-quote and code are working for me again.

Hey, I just noticed that the kindle version of The Martian is $1.99.

Not sure how long it will be that price, but figured I'd pass along the info.

Thanks. I have so many other books I want to read first that this was going to go to the back of the line. Eventually I'd get to it, and probably borrow it from my library. At that price though it was worth buying. It's still going to the back of the line, but at least it's actually already there..

Just finished The Martian.

Really fun. Going on my favorites list.

ETA: If you are the type who enjoys a good character to follow, this is a fun book to read. You will be rooting for astronaut Mark Watney the whole way.

I really enjoy character driven stories.

No telling.

Do you plan to read it eventually? How do you feel about spoilers? Depending on your answers, do some googling and you will find enough to be able to talk your way through the meeting without anyone being the wiser. ;)

• Like 9

Hi everyone-i haven't been as active as usual here but i am reading a fair amount. I hope everyone is doing well.

currently reading

Proof: Finding Freedom through the Intoxicating Joy of Irresistible Grace. I really like this so far--about halfway through, and I really love the grace-centered message.

Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans--EXCELLENT novel!! Only halfway through but very well done.

Harry Potter (the first one) re-reading alone wiht my ds10 who is already on book 4.....

Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy bt David Burns MD--very good book on cognitive behaviour.

Along Came a Spider--just finished

• Like 8

Last night I finished an enjoyable book.  (Enjoyable doesn't seem quite the right word given the subject matter; let's say, this was a book I was compelled to keep reading.)  I will certainly read more by this author.

The Ones We Trust by Kimberly Belle

"A moving and evocative exploration of grief and guilt in the wake of one family's devastating loss 

When former DC journalist Abigail Wolff attempts to rehabilitate her career, she finds herself at the heart of a US army cover-up involving the death of a soldier in Afghanistan—with unspeakable emotional consequences for one family. As the story of what happened comes to light, Abigail will do anything to write it.  

The more evidence she stumbles upon in the case, the fewer people it seems she can trust, including her own father, a retired army general. And she certainly never expected to fall in love with the slain soldier's brother, Gabe, a bitter man struggling to hold his family together. The investigation eventually leads her to an impossible choice, one of unrelenting sacrifice to protect those she loves. 

Beyond the buried truths and betrayals, questions of family loyalty and redemption, Abigail's search is, most of all, a desperate grasp at carrying on and coping—and seeking hope in the impossible."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I'm so excited that both multi-quote and code are working for me again.

Thanks. I have so many other books I want to read first that this was going to go to the back of the line. Eventually I'd get to it, and probably borrow it from my library. At that price though it was worth buying. It's still going to the back of the line, but at least it's actually already there..

I really enjoy character driven stories.

Do you plan to read it eventually? How do you feel about spoilers? Depending on your answers, do some googling and you will find enough to be able to talk your way through the meeting without anyone being the wiser. ;)

Probably not.  My to-read stack is toppling and between work and toddler I don't have as much reading free time as I used to.  I might change my mind if everyone in book club raves about loving it. 

Okay, that pushed me to buy the kindle version of The Martian! So it's waiting for me under a stack of other books. *shifty eyes* 

Amy, that's hilarious that you didn't read the book. Are you going to at least skim a bit?

My plan is a frantic skimming of the book during John's nap time.

• Like 9

Thanks for the links to Kindle books on sale!  I finally found some to read on Kindle Unlimited, so I have a long list in front of me to read before that's up.  I started The Reapers Are the Angels.  And here's what my Mom got me for my birthday:

The Book of Awakening

Blue Highways Revisited

A Year With Rumi

The Lessons of Saint Francis

It looks like she checked one of my many wish lists from when I was in a particularly searching mood. ;)

• Like 6

:seeya:  :seeya:  :seeya:

Hi ladies -- it's your long lost friend...

I've been traveling or distracted for most of the summer, but I'm back for good now.  I've MISSED you.

Robin, happy anniversary!  Tom and I are coming up on 24.  Each year goes faster than the prior, I think.

VC, happy birthday!  Looks like you got a good haul, nothing from the last century...

Angel, I love your new profile pic!  (please don't tell me it's three months old by now...)

Jenn, if you're checking in, have a wonderful trip and final college drop with the boy.  Must be sort of wistful...

shukriyya, welcome back!

kareni, can I just say how delighted the image of you reading aloud to your husband a book of LISTS made me (giggle). Soul mates.

Stacia, thanks for the Martian heads up - just ordered it.

It's down to 3 1/2 stars on Amazon.  I just need it to go down 1 more star and I can read it and count it for the book with bad reviews category.

:lol: Wait -- that's a category??  I think I've been away too long...

I finished listening to People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks. I thought it was really wonderful, though hard to listen to at times - torture by inquisitors and such.  I thought it was the best kind of historical fiction - a book that makes the past come alive, that connects different times, places, cultures, religions, and makes them seem vivid and immediate.  She's a great writer and a does a remarkable amount of research on her books. I think I'll be putting her on my read-everything author list.

I loved this as well, along with March and Year of Wonders, though as I recall my effort to thrust the latter upon Violet Crown during her Plague challenge was, er, unsuccessful....

Two books arrived in today's mail.  From my Archipelago subscription, I have Ivan Vladislavic's novel The Folly which, according to the back cover, "echoes Jorge Luis Borges and David Lynch" as well as "brings to mind the work of Calvino and Beckett".  Mighty big shoes to fill.

That looks very intriguing -- can't wait for your review...

This was among the many Jane-recommended books that I worked through this summer.  Weird and disorienting.

I have so many scattered books and Kindle notes to collect that it's overwhelming -- I think I'll just hold off on BOOK reporting til Robin starts the new thread on Sunday...

• Like 10

I've been traveling or distracted for most of the summer, but I'm back for good now.  I've MISSED you.

<snip, snip>

This was among the many Jane-recommended books that I worked through this summer.  Weird and disorienting.

I have so many scattered books and Kindle notes to collect that it's overwhelming -- I think I'll just hold off on BOOK reporting til Robin starts the new thread on Sunday...

Great to see you, Pam!  You have been missed.

Hmmm... I did not recommend The Dictionary of the Khazars.  Someone else deserves credit for that!

I look forward to hearing your report.

• Like 5

Dang, first day back and I'm already out of likes.

Great to see you, Pam!  You have been missed.

Hmmm... I did not recommend The Dictionary of the Khazars.  Someone else deserves credit for that!

I look forward to hearing your report.

Sigh.  Some things never change, huh.   :huh:

Sorry about that, ((whoever it was who DID recommend Dictionary))...

• Like 6

I loved this as well, along with March and Year of Wonders, though as I recall my effort to thrust the latter upon Violet Crown during her Plague challenge was, er, unsuccessful....

Yep, those are the three Geraldine Brooks books I've read so far too - March, Year of Wonders, and People of the Book. I've really enjoyed all of them. I'm intrigued by this nonfiction one:

Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/337615.Nine_Parts_of_Desire?from_search=true&search_version=service

• Like 8

Pam, SO good to see you back here! :grouphug:

Jenn, sending some good travel karma your way....

And here's what my Mom got me for my birthday:

The Book of Awakening

Blue Highways Revisited

A Year With Rumi

The Lessons of Saint Francis

It looks like she checked one of my many wish lists from when I was in a particularly searching mood. ;)

Thanks for posting your list! :thumbup1:

Seeing the mention of Rumi, I was reading more in In the Footsteps of Marco Polo today. One of the towns the guys visited is Konya (a center of carpet-weaving in Turkey) where Rumi lived & died. I did not realize prior to reading this that Rumi & Marco Polo were contemporaries. It also had a photo in there of Rumi's tomb.

ETA: It almost looks like the Blue Highways books would be similar to what I'm doing with the Marco Polo books. One, the original book. Two, a later book done in his footsteps w/ some gorgeous photography to accompany it. (Would love to hear your feedback on the Blue HIghways book.) I would also love to hear your comments on the Saint Francis book.

• Like 7

Seeing the mention of Rumi, I was reading more in In the Footsteps of Marco Polo today. One of the towns the guys visited is Konya (a center of carpet-weaving in Turkey) where Rumi lived & died. I did not realize prior to reading this that Rumi & Marco Polo were contemporaries. It also had a photo in there of Rumi's tomb.

ETA: It almost looks like the Blue HIghways books would be similar to what I'm doing with the Marco Polo books. One, the original book. Two, a later book done in his footsteps w/ some gorgeous photography to accompany it. (Would love to hear your feedback on the Blue HIghways book.) I would also love to hear your comments on the Saint Francis book.

I will have to find In the Footsteps of Marco Polo now.  Wow, I never even thought of them as contemporaries!  Thank you for the links!

• Like 7

Having my precious granddaughter here (and her lovely parents!) is even more wonderful than I had imagined or hoped.  

...though it certainly diminished my reading time! ...as has the hecticness of preparing for the next school year (homeschooling everyone would be so much less work... and the work would be more satisfying, but that isn't what seems best for these kids at this time...

I finished two Diana Wynne Jones books (Lives of Christopher Chant and Aunt Maria), Iphigenia at Aulis (another in the Greek tragedy in new translations series), Seven Day Magic (my little guy's bedtime story), and From the Meadows of Gold (a Muslim Marco Polo, only several centuries earlier)

I have much to say about all of them and even more about what you all have been saying, but I am absurdly out of time.

Here's a lovely story of one man making a difference ~ Colombian garbage collector rescues books for children.

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — "A second-grade education has not stopped garbage collector Jose Gutierrez from bringing the gift of reading to thousands of Colombian children.

Gutierrez started rescuing books from the trash almost 20 years ago, when he was driving a garbage truck at night through the capital's wealthier neighborhoods. The discarded reading material slowly piled up, and now the ground floor of his small house is a makeshift community library stacked from floor to ceiling with some 20,000 books, ranging from chemistry textbooks to children's classics. ..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

:seeya:  Missed you too!

Having my precious granddaughter here (and her lovely parents!) is even more wonderful than I had imagined or hoped.  

Awww. Sounds wonderful!

• Like 6