Menu

I'm headed to Trader Joe's today for the very first time~

Joe Joes cookies, hummus, pot stickers, madarin orange chicken. I haven't tried the eggplant, but now I can't remember if it was eggplant or eggplant parmesan that I heard was really good.

They also have granola type bars that my kids love. I will see if I can find the brand.

I love TJ's but rarely get to it. :glare:

I grocery shop there weekly, so I get most of my daily use items there. Things we like best:

whole wheat tortillas

garlic salsa, peach salsa (YUM!!)

corn chips

organic whole wheat pastas

spaghetti sauce (usually I make my own, but in a pinch theirs is really good!)

Thai Curry sauce (YUM!)

Organic ketchup (no HFCS)

feta with mediteranean herbs (for salads)

frozen fruit and veggies - organic ones are cheaper than my local non-organic ones

Frozen rice - a total splurge! But when I want rice quickly, it's nice to have

peanut butter - organic!

Jelly - no sugar, organic

Jo-jos!

Fruit leathers

honey sticks

I'm sure there's more. We just love their stuff! Try some crackers too. Their coffee is great (but I can't remember the name of the exact one we get - we're out now!). Ask the people who work there for recommendations - they are VERY helpful.

Enjoy the free samples!

I'm in a bit of a TJ funk. I went yesterday, and they no longer have three of our favorite items to get there. I love the prices, but I hate that they change merchandise so much. :(

We get a lot of our organic dairy products there when we will be coming staight home (it is about 45 minutes away.) Their raw nuts and nut butters are inexpensive and we love their maple syrup. We also usually get: canned herring (for dh, it is so much cheaper there,) WW pasta, a box or two of granola bars (banana nut yesterday) as a treat for ds who misses them, pita chips, mini WW pitas (they are the only place we can find good ones,) and bread.

Ditto what others have said. We got all our organic dairy there when we lived near one.

Angela, I am so very jealous of you. We lived within range of the Dublin and Easton locations, and went every month, with coolers. It was our core grocery run. Now I go to the one in Dayton at Christmas when I visit my in-laws, and that's it. The closest one to me now is almost four hours away.

*sigh*

Their milk is cheaper than elsewhere and no hormones

The soy and ginger carrots and Thai green beans are favorites here.

The soy corn dogs and small meatballs in the frozen section.

Trader Joes Honey O's are staples.

The toilet paper!!!

the echinacea gummy vites

the mango corn chips when I can find them

honey roasted and Thai chili lime peanuts

more frozen veggies we love, the tri pepper bled and the broccoli and water chestnuts

the basmati rice and quinoa are also staples

hey, look, I am writing my grocery list for today!

Good selection of organic, fair trade coffees

cheeses

Salami

Trail Mix cereal

Cacchiatore sauce (spelling?) which is really good over chicken

Edamame

Ginger snaps (they really have the very best!)

Proscecco (again, I know my spelling is atrocious, rilly bad:))

Licorice Scotties

Nuts

Dried fruit

I love TJ's. I do my weekly shopping there too. I get a nice balance of healthy foods and the most delicious treats. If I'm going to have a treat, it might as well be Really Good... and TJ's delivers. LOL.

Treats:

Joe Joes

Vanilla Meringues

Many kinds of really good chocolate

Heavy cream for my coffee

Wine

Mini muffins for the kids

Other TJ faves:

Simmer Sauces

Jaipur Vegetables & pre-cooked rice for an almost instant lunch

Bruschetta sauce & a baguette

Nice selection of coffees

Their dairy overall is very yummy. I don't drink milk, but my family says it's the best. The heavy cream needs to be used up quickly because it goes bad faster than the cream from other places, but it's great while it's good. Their full fat yogurts are soooo good, we use them as desserts.

Their bags of frozen vegetables are VERY good.

I am currently using Dream Dinners to make our dinners ahead of time. I've found that TJ's by itself provides more than enough for all our breakfast, lunch and side-dish needs. I generally don't need to shop anywhere else for groceries.

I used to also buy their cleaning products, but am now giving the Method products a whirl. TJ's handsoaps, laundry detergent, etc. are good. The only thing I can't recommend is the Trader Joe's dishwasher detergent. (The Method detergent is much better.)

Guest Virginia Dawn

One is opening soon in a town we visit often. The lists sound lovely, but most of that stuff I can't afford to splurge on. How do they do pricewise on basic foodstuffs for frugal shoppers?

Someone said milk is cheaper. How much is it?

How much does HFC free ketchup cost?

What about the no sugar jelly and organic peanut butter?

Do they have sales?

Can you get pickles without food coloring?

One is opening soon in a town we visit often. The lists sound lovely, but most of that stuff I can't afford to splurge on. How do they do pricewise on basic foodstuffs for frugal shoppers?

Do they have sales?

I don't have any receipts with me right now... but I can tell you that I spend, on average, $50 less per week shopping at TJ's compared to Safeway. I'm not sure what the savings would be compared to Walmart. I do save $$ by shopping for my meat once/month at Costco instead of buying it at TJ's. (And right now I'm not buying meat at all since I'm doing Dream Dinners to make freezer meals for a while, but that is a very recent change.)

For me, TJ's is closer and also so much smaller than other grocery stores... I can get there quicker and shop faster. So the location and size of the store saves me significant time too.

Not sure about the food coloring in pickles! Yes, I think that sometimes they mark items down a bit. Their shelf labels are handwritten on bright paper, though. Makes my eyes cross, lol. So I often skip reading them and miss the sales info.

Sorry I don't have specific numbers to give you... but overall, in my area, I save money and get better quality foods by shopping at TJ's. I don't know if the price comparison would be the same in other areas.

Do they have sales?

Ketchup - $1.99 for 24 ounces

Organic Peanut Butter - $2.99 for 1 pound made with valencia peanuts which are supposed to have less mold

No Sugar jelly - $2.29 for 20 ounces This is organic too.

I don't splurge there very often because of allergies. Much of their pre-packaged stuff is manufactured on the same equipment as peanuts and tree nuts.

Oh - and I agree with the yogurt! We get the European Full-Fat stuff. $2.99. Yum! We mix in some of the jelly and some vanilla.

I agree... we shop first at Costco, second at TJs, only then at the local grocery store. The "basic" prices at TJs are less than I spend couponing at the "regular" store, for the most part.

Lots of inexpensive basics I buy there: rice, pasta, cheese (I love cheese--TJs is the only place to get good cheese at a decent price), veggies (the ones they carry, which do change), lunch meat, eggs (best place for eggs!), yogurt, milk, juice, frozen veggies, nuts (my dh eats lots of almonds), cereal, peanut butter, jelly, olive oil, maple syrup... all soooooo much cheaper.

Ds6 says his favorite thing to buy at TJs is gouda.

Ds4 say his favorite thing to buy at TJs is chocolate muffins.

I do my main shopping there too - they are next door to a Vons I can go into for the few items they don't have.

BEST TJ's items:

CANNED CORN. Crazy but true - it is so yummy, sweet and delicious I could eat a can of cold corn for a meal.

EGGS are a better deal there than anywhere else, and local to boot.

PASTA - very good prices on whole grain pastas.

Their "cheerio" substitute cereal (if your kids must have boxed cereal) is less expensive and tastes just the same to me.

Christmas time... PEPPERMINT JOE-JOEs. Oh, I just got a hankerin' for Christmas time!

I'm in a bit of a TJ funk. I went yesterday, and they no longer have three of our favorite items to get there. I love the prices, but I hate that they change merchandise so much. :(

Just when you find something you love, you can't live without... DISCONTINUED! :banghead:

My favorites:

Naan Bread

Whole Wheat hamburger/hot dog buns

NUTS!

olive oil

chocolate Jo Jo's

Burritos

Mini Tacos

Frozen fruit

Frozen Veg