Menu

Are you starting some of your curriculum later in the year?

Lovedtodeath

We just started spelling today, and FLL will come next, in a few weeks. WWE is probably not going to happen until much later. I also saw that TWTM recommends starting science after the other subjects are well established (though it does not apply to me). What about you? Are you staggering start times for any subjects?

I am, but only because we moved and I can't find all my curriculum right now.:glare: I kept out the basics so we're going ahead with math, grammar, spelling, reading, science (sans experiments) and some (scaled back) history. I have yet to dig out Latin, IEW, geography and all my art supplies.:glare:

For my 1st grader:

We are starting FLL and WWE together in about a month once we have got to about lesson 100 in OPGTR. At Christmas we will probably start AAS level 1. Inbetween now and then we are also starting history and science, I expect within the next week we'll have that going regularly.

We are currently doing handwriting, OPGTR, Rightstart, geography and memory work.

Stephanie

For my 1st grader, I'm doing history and science separately. She has special needs and I didn't want to do too much with her each day and overwhelm her.

So we're doing history now until Christmas break, and then science from January until the end of the school year in June.

I also like this idea because science is fun to do in the spring, when everything's blooming and you want to be outside anyway!! :)

Yes, we'll start Simply Spelling after dd8 finishes ETC books 7 & 8.

Writing Tales 1 is waiting for us to finish Primary Language Lessons

We have different focuses throughout the year for science and crafts to keep things fresh.

I've been contemplating focusing on either French or Latin and then switching to the other, still thinking about this...

We always start school as soon as swim season, both summer and USA, end. My kids are a little lost without it, and many friends leave town for vacation. We start math right off since it is review and my kids are math oriented. I let them do review lessons and test in the first few chapters so we always finish math texts. We, also, continue music through out the summer and reading.

We set up the older ones schedules (we use Sonlight), and they start Bible, history, and read a-louds. I love read a-louds. I think that is why I started home schooling -- reading great books to all my kids curdled up on the couch or my bed!

We typically start science later, but now the bigger kids start with it right off. They have been involved with Science Olympiad which occupies alot of winter time so they try to get ahead in their regular science.

Foreign languages, Latin and SPanish, and writing/grammar are last. Maybe, it is because I have to fight my kids to do it, mostly writing. Of course, last year my freshman got behind in Spanish so he did it into June.

By now we are in full swing and have about 5-6 weeks under our belts, if we don't head to the beach with Nana and Papa.

ReneeR

We are, because we just had a baby August 3!

Us too! Well, we had a baby August 18 and we started back after Labor Day. We are doing about half of our things and expect to start the rest at the beginning of October.

We hadn't done any school since about April, and I am much more paitent and nicer with a new born then pregnant, so this works for us!

I plan to start a writing program next quarter (Jan) with my oldest. She's finishing up the bit she has left of R&S English from last year and I think it's a good time for a bit of a grammar break.

I also plan to start SOTW2 in about 4 weeks...only because we haven't finished SOTW1 yet. Along with SOTW2 I'm adding Biblioplan.

Latin in a few weeks....

Art whenever I get the materials. :tongue_smilie:

I learned the hard way that I get overwhelmed if I start it all and then I just "give up".

I do much better if I start small, adjust to the load, let the kids adjust to the load, and then all more.

The only drawback is that, truly, the load never seems easy, so sometimes I have to force myself to add stuff towards the end of the "ramp up".

My goal is to have most of the curricula going by October 1st. I miss that goal a lot LOL!! How's that for honesty and transparency?

We always stagger our subjects in the first few weeks here as well. Still to add this year, Apologia's Zoology 2 sometime in October once we have completed #1. We'll start art at the same time since the book I have teaches drawing ocean animals. Hopefully we'll start some music other than piano this week or next. At some point I want some geography in the mix, but will probably wait until January for that one.

I am. I have a Nature Girl, so I'm easing her into the academic life. :001_smile: We've kept up on phonics, Latin, math, and the AO reading list (which pulls in narration) for Year 1. She also takes a dance class. That's it so far. As the year goes on, I plan to introduce more regular nature study, penmanship, geography, FLL, maybe WWE, and then folk songs and hymns and drawing. But if we never get to those things this year, I'm OK with that, too.

For first grade we still need to add in science (we've only been reading a few books sporadically), composer study, artist and picture study, and could be more consistent about art. I'd like to start nature notebooks, too. We have nature walks and look things up but haven't been documenting any of it.