Menu

to Co-op or Not to Co-op... that is the question...

I have an opportunity to join a new co-op forming this fall.  It will be 2 days a week and is an academic co-op.  The subjects that will be covered are Grammar, Writing, History, Science and Geography for grades 3-6th. Grades 3-6th will be taught together which brings me to my first concern. I just feel like that is a pretty big age span and am trying to figure out how writing and grammar will be taught and be understandable for the 3rd graders and challenging enough for the 6th graders.  The younger kiddo's will do the same as above, but take out Grammar and Writing and add phonics games.  They do not intend to teach the child to read, just have fun phonics games.  Math, spelling, and whatever else you want to teach will be done on the days you are home.  

My first thought is how wonderful the social aspect of the co-op will be, but then again, I have only met one of the ladies in the co-op and none of our children have met.  Also, as I mentioned above, I am very concerned about teaching the same concept for grades 3-6th grade.   hmmm   Oh, and each mom teaches and co-teaches a class and stay at the co-op the whole time.

What would you do?  This decision is really, really hard.  Part of me wants to give it a try... but then I feel like a bit of my freedom is taken away.  I mean there are some weeks that we just have to wave the white flag and take a week off.  The accountability will be great, but what if my child doesn't get a concept and needs more time, or what if my child is doing really well with a concept and needs to move faster?  

Has anyone ever done a concept like this??  I would love to hear how you liked it.  There are 9 families involved, so it is a small group.  HELP!

I definitely try it. But I like co-ops. :) A lot of people on this board are against co-ops. Two days a week is a lot, but if you feel like the level of instruction will be good, I'd say go for it. If you have more questions about how age groups will be taught together, ask them.

There are a couple schools in my town that are two days a week at school, three at home. Those are taught by hired teachers though.

I have an opportunity to join a new co-op forming this fall.  It will be 2 days a week and is an academic co-op.  The subjects that will be covered are Grammar, Writing, History, Science and Geography for grades 3-6th. Grades 3-6th will be taught together which brings me to my first concern. I just feel like that is a pretty big age span and am trying to figure out how writing and grammar will be taught and be understandable for the 3rd graders and challenging enough for the 6th graders.  The younger kiddos will do the same as above, but take out Grammar and Writing and add phonics games.  They do not intend to teach the child to read, just have fun phonics games.  Math, spelling, and whatever else you want to teach will be done on the days you are home.  

My first thought is how wonderful the social aspect of the co-op will be, but then again, I have only met one of the ladies in the co-op and none of our children have met.  Also, as I mentioned above, I am very concerned about teaching the same concept for grades 3-6th grade.   hmmm   Oh, and each mom teaches and co-teaches a class and stay at the co-op the whole time.

What would you do?  This decision is really, really hard.  Part of me wants to give it a try... but then I feel like a bit of my freedom is taken away.  I mean there are some weeks that we just have to wave the white flag and take a week off.  The accountability will be great, but what if my child doesn't get a concept and needs more time, or what if my child is doing really well with a concept and needs to move faster?  

Has anyone ever done a concept like this??  I would love to hear how you liked it.  There are 9 families involved, so it is a small group.  HELP!

I would not do a two-day co-op for the social aspect.

I would not do a co-op for academic purposes for children so young. High school, for sciences or higher maths or something I might have more difficulty doing at home, yes. Under high school, no.

I would also miss the freedom, and that would be a deciding factor.

A once-a-week, on Fridays, for enrichment (art, music, etc.,) I could do. Two days a week...no. Just...no.

• Like 15

I'm not a fan of co-ops bc I have never found one that matches my academic expectations or desires. I want my kids' educations matching their abilities. From my perspective, lumping all 3rd-6th graders together would send up a huge red flag.

Will you be satisfied giving 40% of your school time to the coop?

(I have a lot of great homeschooling mom friends, but I can only think of 1 who I would ever let teach my children regardless of the subject. Seeking out teachers for individual subjects and paying those teachers for their expertise in the field is my comfort zone. But socializing during academics is not something I seek.)

• Like 6

I would not do a co-op for academic purposes for children so young. High school, for sciences or higher maths or something I might have more difficulty doing at home, yes. Under high school, no.

A once-a-week, on Fridays, for enrichment (art, music, etc.,) I could do. Two days a week...no. Just...no.

I feel the same way.

We have done a one day a week, non-academic co-op since DD was 5. It's worth giving up that one day a week, but I don't really expect her to learn much or for it to replace any of our subject areas, and I cringe when I hear people claiming it's their science or whatever.

• Like 1

I would say I am pro co-op too but with the same qualifiers as the prior posters--non academic (or nothing I would count seriously) and only one day a week. There is no way we could get our school done if we were gone two days a week and I would question the ability of a co-op to provide adequate academics to replace one of my school days.  So one day a week would be great--two is too much for that age, IMO.

ETA: I can sometimes count co-op classes toward our academic year but I generally don't count on it.  That said, I have been pleasantly surprised by how well done some classes have been.

• Like 1

We have had good and bad experiences with co-op.  Some surprising academic pluses and some surprising social negatives...depending on child and classes taken.  That said, I have a 3rd and 7th grader this year.  My 7th just finished 6th so it is fresh in my memory how 6th really ramped up in all of those classes.  Middle School science was a big jump.  History not so much but there was a lot more covered than in previous years.  Grammar and writing for my then 6th grader was definitely middle school prepping for high school readiness and there is no way that my now 3rd grader would have gotten anything if I kept it where my then 6th grader needed it to be...basically you are talking of combining 8 yr olds to 12 year olds.  I wouldn't even think about the grade levels...looking at the ages involved...there is no way I would combine them in Grammar, Writing, History, Science and Geography.  There is just no way that either would get much out of those.  A 2 day a week co-op doing all of that would definitely take the place of or prohibit teaching those subjects well with other things at grade level at home on the 3 days at home.  I would politely decline and look for another social outlet whether it be a different co-op or something unique for my children that fit their interests.  

:iagree:

Are these whole days? Like, 9-2? I would really be reluctant to have math only three days a week with upper elementary kids.

We do a one-afternoon-a-week group, but it's enrichment and there's still time to do what we need to do at home.

A co-op that taught all of those academic subjects would mean the co-op chooses your curriculum for those subjects, correct?   I don't think that would work for us.   

We were part of a wonderful co-op that was strictly for enrichment from the time my kids were in 2nd grade & K  through last year, when they were in 7th & 5th grades.   This year, we are moving to a more academic co-op BECAUSE we need the academic environment.   But even with that said, we are picking & choosing which classes to take.

I think that 3rd-6th graders could be taught together in an enrichment-based co-op, but I agree with others that it would be extremely difficult to teach these ages together in an academic group.

• Like 1

THANK YOU for all the responses!  The Co-op is from 9:30-3:30... The curriculum is chosen for me, but we were using a few of the subjects already.  My biggest issue is the grouping of 3rd-6th graders together...  I just don't see how this will be a good thing with grammar and writing.  My 8yo and 11yo are at totally different levels completely.  I would not teach them together at home for these subjects!  My 11yo has been through Rod and Staff English 2-5!  My 8yo has been through Rod and Staff English 2.  They did say that the grammar may be easy for the older kids, but it is important to build a solid foundation! I can see their point, but my 11yo already has a solid foundation:)  

I was planning on putting my daughter in a Private School for High School at least for a few classes, and  I just don't think she will be ready academically if we do the co-op.   Our local Christian school is extremely welcoming to homeschoolers and allow us to take part time classes, and they get to participate in all activities, such as dances and parties.... it is very nice:)

After reading my response here, I think my decision is clear.   I guess I feel like I may be missing out on something that could be very good.  But the thought of being out of my house twice a week haunts me!  I like not being tied to a "school schedule" and I like taking off a week when I want to.  Plus there are times that we need to stall in an area or move ahead in an area.  The science they are using is not my favorite, nor my children's favorite.  UGH!! 

• Like 1

I would also hesitate to do an academic co-op, not really knowing the other families. You are counting on them being good teachers. You can end up with the negative aspects of Ps: bad teachers, bored kids, just passing time until it gets to the fun part-recess or social time.

I would not do an academic co-op for elementary school. I would not do two days a week. I would not do 9:30-3:30.

My personal co-op limit would be one half-day of electives for elementary. For older grades, I'd consider academic classes from actual professionals/those with lots of experience in a given field.

• Like 1

Id consider an elective/enrichment co-op. But 40% of your school week taken up, teaching core subjects, to such a large range of ages? One of your kids will end up left behind, or neither will progress nearly as far as they could have at home. 

Maybe if they seperated the ages better and did a different class for 3rd/4th and 5th/6th, or maybe if it was one day a week with work at home as well. But as described, I wouldn't do it

We have a public school for homeschoolers, once a week...most of the subjects are enrichment, but there are also some academics (writing and science). We have the option of going twice a week. Wouldn't work for us...too much to do at home, can't commit to 2 days a week