Menu

Grocery price experts... if you had access to:

Janie Grace

Trader Joe's, Costco, Aldi's, and Kroger... what would you get where?

We are lucky to have access to great stores. But I am so bad at remembering prices that I often don't know what to get where. So, if you are the type that remembers and compares unit costs, please share your knowledge! 

I did compare TJs and Costco real maple syrup and was amazed to see how much cheaper Costco's is. Costco also seems to have good unit prices on cold cereal (compared to Sam's). And the milk is cheap there, too. 

Keep in mind: I like pasture-raised beef and free range chicken. I am not a stickler about organic produce (but I'll get it if I'm inspired). We have a big family so we can handle big quantities of stuff. 

I want to know for toiletries and paper products, too. Where would you do the lion's share of your shopping if these stores were your choices? What items would you NOT get there and get somewhere else?

Trader Joe's...wine.  Aldi's in a pinch, but TJ is better.

Costco....rotisserie chickens.

Aldi...any junky snacks that are full of chemicals and terribleness wherever you buy them--cheese crackers, Pringles, tortilla chips, etc.  If you eat store-brand stuff, milk, eggs, and bread. 

Kroger...any name brand anything you like.  It usually goes on sale every so often.  (I like Finish Quantum dishwasher detergent). 

I'd shop the sales and managers discount items at Kroger. I'd get meat, some dairy, produce and paper products at Costco. I'd get cheese, wine,baking chocolate and treats at Trader Joes. Here my Costco is the same price as TJs for syrup.

I don't know a thing about Aldi's as there are none in this entire region.

• Like 1

I buy anyting I can at Aldi because you can't beat the price, and the quality is really good - except for meat. Aside from organic grass fed ground beef (which I buy there for less than the identical brand at Kroger), Aldi's meats are injected with solution, and I don't buy them. I buy meat at Kroger.

I also shop at Kroger for anything Aldi does not carry: brown rice, certain vegetables, yoghurt that is NOT non fat, ethnic stuff.

We have a two hour drive to Trader Joes, so never shop there.

• Like 2

I buy anyting I can at Aldi because you can't beat the price, and the quality is really good - except for meat. Aside from organic grass fed ground beef (which I buy there for less than the identical brand at Kroger), Aldi's meats are injected with solution, and I don't buy them. I buy meat at Kroger.

I also shop at Kroger for anything Aldi does not carry: brown rice, certain vegetables, yoghurt that is NOT non fat, ethnic stuff.

I shop aldi every week. I buy milk, bread, cheese, butter, fruits and veggies, ev coconut oil, quinoa, whole wheat pasta, brown rice pasta... My aldi now carries Indian brown basmati rice. Maybe yours will get it too.

I don't get yogurt, certain veggies like beets, cilantro etc not carried there. I like the white whole wheat flour at Kroger better.

We don't have Costco, but we have BJs and Sam's club. Really the only great deal there for me is cold milled flaxseed, a significant discount on almonds and walnuts, and Sam's fish oil.

Aldi beats the price of club maple syrup. But sometimes I will buy elsewhere to get grade B, which has more flavor than grade A maple syrup.

I shop Aldi every week, a discount grocery store every other week, the world market once a month, and Kroger and walmart every now and then to pick up a couple things I can't get at Aldi.

My Aldi nearly always beats the prices at other local stores. They are also starting to carry more health type foods and organic. I also love that the store is small and I get finished shopping so much faster there.

Those are the four I go to, also.  However, Costco and TJ are a once per month luxury because they are nearly an hour away.  Costco is almost always cheaper.  So, if we use something often, I stock up at costco - chicken, maple, cheese, milk (although I can't stand their milk bottles), eggs, apple sauce pouches, canned tomatoes, peanuts, spices, sugar, paper towels, toilet paper, laundry soap, dish soap, some toiletries.  That sort of thing. 

Most of my produce comes from Kroger or Aldi.  I don't shop at Aldi for much but their cheese and milk are fairly cheap.  I get some produce there, as well.  Best price for avocados, potatoes, and onions.  Never had their meat.  My meat comes from Costco or Kroger. 

I get specialty/organic/oddball things at TJ - hot dogs, tri tip roast, frozen chicken, frozen veggies, snacks, lunch meat, cheese.

Normal grocery stuff like ketchup and tortillas come from Kroger. 

I rarely shop Aldi's so that I know a lot less about. But I alternate between TJ's, Costco, and the local chain for all my grocery shopping.

In general... produce from Costco when it's out of season, local grocery when it's in season (though I don't know how Kroger is with produce... it's been awhile since I've lived anywhere with a Kroger).

Meat from Costco, occasionally from TJ's. However, what your Costco has in terms of grass fed or free range or organic meat seems to vary, but at the locations near me with it, it's a slightly better deal than TJ's.

Eggs, milk and dairy from Costco unless you don't drink a lot of milk. Bulk cheeses from Costco, but individual cheeses from Trader Joe's - they have stuff that's as good as Whole Foods for a fraction of the cost.

Dry goods like pastas and rices are sort of a toss up between Costco and TJ's, IME. The prices aren't that much better for most of them at Costco and sometimes you just don't need that much and the varieties are better at TJ's. We do what few canned goods we get from Costco - tomatoes and broths. Spices are a good deal at Costco, but only if you'll use that much. The prices at TJ's are better than my local grocery, but I'm guessing these are all things that are good deals at Aldi's too.

Bread we do from Costco or the local grocery. TJ's is not a good deal on bread IME.

Toilet paper and the like you never want to get at TJ's and the markup at most local grocery stores would surprise you so definitely not at Kroger unless you see a sale. Costco is an okay deal, but... here's the surprise... it's usually just as good if not a better deal at Target. I've had to train myself not to buy paper goods and soaps and so forth at any grocery store and try to remember to shop at Target when I'm there.

In general, I alternate my buying - Costco and TJ's alternating weeks, and I hit the local grocery (for me, that's Giant) in between for things TJ's doesn't have or that are too small a quantity to get at Costco, like a specific thing for a recipe.

We are lucky to have access to great stores. But I am so bad at remembering prices that I often don't know what to get where. So, if you are the type that remembers and compares unit costs, please share your knowledge! 

I did compare TJs and Costco real maple syrup and was amazed to see how much cheaper Costco's is. Costco also seems to have good unit prices on cold cereal (compared to Sam's). And the milk is cheap there, too. 

Keep in mind: I like pasture-raised beef and free range chicken. I am not a stickler about organic produce (but I'll get it if I'm inspired). We have a big family so we can handle big quantities of stuff. 

I want to know for toiletries and paper products, too. Where would you do the lion's share of your shopping if these stores were your choices? What items would you NOT get there and get somewhere else?

Never have been to TJ, although they exist in the area.  Should I use Whole Foods as a vague equivalent?

Kroger:  I'm still annoyed with Kroger for shrinking the one-pound bags of frozen vegetables to contain only ten ounces.  This is absurd.  Either families have only one child at the maximum, or the national campaigns for people to eat more vegetables have failed.  Nonetheless, I do buy frozen vegetables from Kroger when they hold the [frequent] 10/10 sales.  These lilliputian-sized bags are useful for quickly-prepared lunch recipes.  They also are easier to store in a crowded freezer than are the Costco-sized bags of frozen vegetables. 

Kroger's fresh produce is sad.  Looks sad.  I don't purchase it.

Kroger:  In general, their overall prices where I live (DFW Metroplex) are lower than those of the mainline competitors (Tom Thumb, Albertsons).  In a non-food preference, I buy fresh flowers from Kroger.  They have beautiful arrangements and well-priced loose flowers.  I bought my mother's funeral flowers from a Kroger because the arrangement was so lovely.

Costco:  I do tend toward organic when I can manage it.  I refrain from purchasing food items that originated in China, though, so I always read boxes and bags for information.  Costco sells Coleman beef and chicken (unless the organic chicken is from another company?)  We don't eat large quantities of meat, so I buy that from WFM.  Just happen to see respectable brands, as noted, at Costco.  . . .  I don't buy milk there.  Yes, they have "organic"; however, I admit to being influenced by evaluations from the Cornocupia Institute.  . . .  From Costco, I routinely buy the organic for applesauce (large jars, not little squirt tubes), peanut butter, bread (one brand is there), pasta, tinned tomatoes/beans/green beans/etc. (despite concerns about lead -- sigh. . .).   Other things, too.  This summer, Costco has had outstanding prices for organic berries (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries).  Another "must have" for us  at Costco are the seven-pound bags of Bob's Red Mill steel-cut oats.

Aldi's:  There is absolutely nothing at that store of interest to me, despite the low prices.  I tried a few times, and always left the store without buying anything.  

You did not cite Target; however, I prefer t-paper, paper table napkins, and paper towels from their store brand.  I also buy some groceries from their Super-Target locations.

Costco (and Sam's) exerts the usual danger of selling large containers of certain foods (e.g. cold cereal, cookies, crackers) with the result at home of over-consumption owing to the mindset of "But it was so cheap!".  (and, of course, it did not turn out to be "so cheap" in the long run)  

• Like 1

Costco is my "go to" store when I am bringing something (not homemade) for the meal after Sunday morning service.  I also keep on hand at home "group-sized" things from Costco  that I can send along with two of my sons, who get together with other close friends at the apartment of a pair of brothers with whom all are close friends.  (Gracious!  Such a bad sentence!)  They get together for dinner and to hang out once or twice a week.

• Like 1

Never have been to TJ, although they exist in the area.  Should I use Whole Foods as a vague equivalent? 

Not at all. TJ's is just totally different. Pretty low prices (sort of the opposite of Whole Paycheck), almost all their own brand, lots of packaged foods, lots of wine, lots of good cheeses, tons of frozen foods, all high quality. Limited produce. It's it's own thing - sort of like Aldi's but a little more upscale in their target audience.

• Like 3

I used to break my neck to get the best prices on the best items at various stores.  After awhile I concluded I was not really saving money because for one thing I'd often buy other things I had not planned to buy because it was a good deal, or yay I always wanted those taco bowl baking pans.  And it was tiring!  So I don't do that.  I tend to get the basics at Aldi because it's up the street and cheapest for those basics.  The rest I get at one other store.  I don't buy anything in bulk except toilet paper (I have an odd fear of running out apparently) so I get that from Amazon.  I'm not spending more than I was before. 

Wine isn't allowed to be sold in grocery stores here. Bummer.  So no low price Aldi wine or TJ wine.

This sounds like us.  No TJ within 2 hours.  I have a Walmart 3 miles away--BUT I've found that Aldi has the best prices on almost everything they carry.  Milk, eggs, all produce (and even in the rare times Sams is less, Sams has worse quality--everything is BIGGER, like giant apples, but not BETTER), lunchmeat, sliced cheese, any prepackaged goods.

I have gotten a Sam's list of certain staple things we do shop for--toilet paper, paper towels, prunes and raisins, jugs of vinegar, shredded cheese, granola bars for dh lunch, etc.

And a few random things at our Dollar Tree--soymilk, of all things.  So we usually grocery shop once a week--every 3 or 4 weeks, we hit Sams for 5 or so things, then hit Dollar Tree for a couple of things, then get the bulk of everything at Aldi.  Run to Walmart between trips for things Aldi doesn't carry--guinea pig supplies, etc.

Our Aldi has brown rice and non-fat yogurt :)

Each store has it's own specialty.  In our situation, it's best to have one "primary" store (Aldi) and make super-quick runs for just the best-of-the-best at the other stores--10-15 minute run-ins.  You just have to work out what is best at each store--

B

Not at all. TJ's is just totally different. Pretty low prices (sort of the opposite of Whole Paycheck), almost all their own brand, lots of packaged foods, lots of wine, lots of good cheeses, tons of frozen foods, all high quality. Limited produce. It's it's own thing - sort of like Aldi's but a little more upscale in their target audience.

That's the most informative description anyone ever has posted of TJs.  Thanks!  I often read people discussing TJ and WFM in the same breath, hence my earlier post question.  There are clear affinities with WFM (store brands, extensive cheese selections, high quality products).

• Like 1

We don't have TJ or Aldis, and I love too far from Natural Pantry. So we buy absolutely everything we can at Costco, the few straggler items ar Kroger, and I get organic items from a co op.

It's really worth the time & effort to make a little price book of your own.  Sometimes, I'm surprised at which things are better priced at which stores.

Items will vary in price by region (for most stores), so it's worth it for you to figure out what is a better deal for you.

It's really worth the time & effort to make a little price book of your own. Sometimes, I'm surprised at which things are better priced at which stores.

Items will vary in price by region (for most stores), so it's worth it for you to figure out what is a better deal for you.

I never had heard of a price book until some decades ago when I read "The Tightwad Gazette"!

• Like 1

I only track prices for stuff that I buy lots of all the time. For something that I rarely buy it's a lot less essential. For example, I'm ok with buying expensive ice cream since I buy it about once a year. 

I do highly recommend finding the online price fliers for all the local groceries and watching for sales. When you get a sale on something you KNOW you will consume, buy as much as you can reasonably store and consume before it goes off. For example, whenever I see chicken leg quarters on sale I put at least 50 lbs in my freezer. 

As far as the groceries you listed, when I lived in a place that had more choice I usually stopped at Aldi first since it was variable what they'd have each week. I'd buy produce/dairy there if it was a good price. Their produce prices were usually cheaper than anything else. Then I'd go to the other grocery store to get the stuff that Aldi didn't have. 

I once started to make a spreadsheet for local prices, but I overwhelmed myself by starting with toilet paper. It comes in too many sizes! I mean the brand we usually buy can be purchased at a number of stores and in a number of sizes.

I do think that makes a lot of sense to make a price book for grocery shopping, though. I should probably do that and stick with food LOL.

Ha. I think the best way for you to do this (seriously) would be to just write down ONLY the cheapest price per unit at each store each week. Most of the stores calculate this for you.

?

Wouldn't you have to physically drive to each store to do that? That would not be good for me.

If you have a local newspaper, typically there is one day of the week upon which area grocery stores insert a weekly sales flyer. Here, that day is Wednesday. We do not subscribe to the large city paper, but oddly, we receive free "mini-papers from it on four days of the week. The Wednesday mini-edition always includes the sales flyers from seven or eight of the local grocery chains. . . . So you might buy one local paper each week for the flyers. (or request the flyers from a friend who does not want them)

We buy most of our stuff at Aldi now. The one here is great, and always has a lot of organic produce. Plus the prices are half or less of what they are everywhere else. For example, I can get organic, free trade K-cups for five bucks a box, when the same size box of non-organic K-cups anywhere else are from eight to ten dollars. I can get a jar of organic peanut butter for a dollar, a bag of frozen organic blueberries for two bucks, a big bag of organic apples for three bucks... And their paper products are ridiculously inexpensive. I never understand why people say they dislike Aldi, because I love it. I think maybe part of it is a certain sense of snoot toward store brands, which I think it silly, but oh well.

I'd probably also get a lot of stuff at TJ but alas, we don't have one here. I have a friend who drives an hour to TJs to stock up on their wine though, so it must be pretty good.

No snobbery toward store brands at my house! The Aldi's near me sells only piddling amounts of produce and other fresh items. Most of what is sold there are box foods. I'm so accustomed to cooking from scratch, that their wares just are not what we can use effectively.

I have started using Amazon for toilet paper.  I can make a giant order, then not think about it for a while.  It is at least as cheap as the local grocery store sales or Target/Walmart.  We don't use paper napkins, paper towels, or any paper plates/silverware, though, so I'm not sure where those things would be cheapest. 

I'd shop the sales and managers discount items at Kroger. I'd get meat, some dairy, produce and paper products at Costco. I'd get cheese, wine,baking chocolate and treats at Trader Joes. Here my Costco is the same price as TJs for syrup.

I don't know a thing about Aldi's as there are none in this entire region.

I live in Lake Stevens. I wish we had access to an Aldi's for the cheap stuff. I find myself going to Costco, Safeway, and Haggan's when I want good quality beef in smaller packaging than Costco. I'm going by memory that you are in the Seattle Area. If I'm wrong, please disregard this message. :coolgleamA: the sunglasses are a nod to our weather. When are we going to get our cloudy skies back!

?

Wouldn't you have to physically drive to each store to do that? That would not be good for me.

I don't mean "go to each store this week to make a list" but rather "when you go to x store because they have a big sale on something, write down the prices of all your staples as well". After a while, you'll start to see where the best deals are. 

• Like 1

I live in Lake Stevens. I wish we had access to an Aldi's for the cheap stuff. I find myself going to Costco, Safeway, and Haggan's when I want good quality beef in smaller packaging than Costco. I'm going by memory that you are in the Seattle Area. If I'm wrong, please disregard this message. :coolgleamA: the sunglasses are a nod to our weather. When are we going to get our cloudy skies back!

Yup, Seattle area. Safeway is under a block from where we live so they get a lot of our grocery business just because it's so darn convenient. I do go to Costco and Trader Joes. I have a Haggen nearby but I keep calling it Top. I get a fair amount of stuff from Grocery Outlet and Cash and Carry.

• Like 1