Menu

King Arthur stories...looking for something "fun" and something "traditional"

So, I've read some old threads and lots of amazon reviews and I still can't decide...LOL! I read Malory in college but I haven't read any Children's or YA retellings.

I want to do a good job introducing the Arthurian legends with DD11 this fall (in 6th grade).  I feel like I messed up with greek mythology last year.  We started with Black Ships Before Troy and she was so confused and didn't like it at all.  So we went with easier versions of Illiad and Odyssey and she was so-so on those.  Then we started Percy Jackson, for fun.  NOW, months later,  DD says she loves Greek mythology, and is moving on to the Heroes of Olympus series on her own (we listened to the whole Percy Jackson series on Audio book on family car rides).

DD shows no inclination of interest right now in the fantasy/magic genre (other than greek myths) or in the idea of reading about knights, kings, etc.   So, I want to do something in the reverse order this time.  I want to know if there is something fun and appealing (maybe with modern elements?) in the Arthurian realm that's appropriate for middle grades...then follow it up with a traditional story.  I'm not really excited about Once and Future King.  It doesn't seem quite to be the feel I was looking for in our "fun" pick -- but maybe I could be persuaded?   I was looking at Pyle, Roger Lancelyn Green, Barbara Leonie Picard or  Elizabeth Lodor Merchant for a traditional version.  There are fewer negative reviews of the last two, but maybe it's because they are more obscure.  ;-)  Then DH pulled up a couple of free Arthur stories from LibriVox, but I don't know as much about those to know if they are any good.

Anyone care to help me decide?

Edited by kirstenhill

The TA Barron series is good... maybe for the "fun" books. Or The Dark is Rising books. But both are much more serious than Percy Jackson though. I Am Morgan Le Fay could be another possibility or the trilogy that starts with The Seeing Stone. All of those are really good, but, again... I'm not sure if it's what you want in terms of light and fun. None of them are snarky like Percy or modern reimaginings. I'm not much on Meg Cabot, so I haven't read Avalon High... but that might be more what you have in mind.

For the serious version, I think The Once and Future King is the best serious version, but if you're not excited about it, pick a different one.

Yeah, maybe Percy ruined us for wanting modern versions of anything else old...LOL.  it had never occurred to me that myths done in a modern way could be so much fun until we listened to those.  I wish I had time to read a bunch of the Arthur books for myself and decide.  I just want the BEST one and I keep finding negative reviews of all the more traditional versions.

ETA..Yes, I know I am overthinking this.  :rolleyes:  I was reading page after page of Arthur reviews while waiting for emails to be returned to me about something totally unrelated to school stuff.  I can't do anything about when people will choose to return emails to be about this event I'm planning, but at least I can do something about choosing books...LOL.  

The Dark is Rising series is good, though by no means a thorough intro to the Arthurian legends.

I read The Boy's king Arthur by Sidney Lanier and illustrated by N.C. Wyeth when I was a kid and loved it. Easier than The Once and Future King and lovely art.

Geraldine McCaughrean has a readable version of King Arthur.

You can always go with a classic version like Roger Lancelyn Green's. Reading level is middle grades and widely available. 

I do love The Once and Future King, but as Farrar said, don't make her trudge through it if it doesn't click for her.

• Like 1

A lot of the classic versions aren't that engaging, I think. King Arthur is really great stuff, but a lot of the spin offs are better than the original in terms of enjoyable reading. Mallory is stilted and dull, the Lancelyn Green is just so earnest but not in a good way. I haven't read The Boy's King Arthur, but I have heard better things.

How much reading and time do you want to spend on this? You can just read the first part of The Once and Future King - The Sword in the Stone. It's often sold solo and it is the best part and the most kid friendly. I mean, the whole thing is amazing... I was once in an English survey class in college and the professor got off on an Arthurian tangent and referred to The Once and Future King like everyone ought to know it and in the room of like 60 English majors, I was the only one who had read it or maybe even heard of it. The professor looked so sad and rightfully so!

If you want to really make a unit of it, I might not bother so much with a "serious" version. I might just do a long form picture book version of it... I know we had a couple when my boys were younger... and then dive into some of the spinoffs and give a few different series a whirl. You could even watch Camelot and the Merlin TV show and so forth. It's such rich source material for so many things. And then see if any of the series are a hit and go with them.

• Like 1

Watch the Disney Sword in the Stone for fun! It is LOL hilarious!

Farrar, I am putting The Once and Future King on my reread list. I loved it in my student days and read it numerous times, but it has been dust-gathering too long. Thanks for the reminder of how good it is!

• Like 1

My dd really enjoyed Lancelot and Elaine from Idylls of the King when we read it when she was in 7th grade. It inspired a love for King Arthur. She read lots of epic poetry that yr and she now loves poetry. You might be surprised by where different studies lead. I would never have anticipated her passion for poetry.

• Like 1

From Audible- King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table

version by Benedict Flynn and narrated by Sean Bean-

outstanding! Thanks for the reminder to re-listen.

Blarg. And now you've made me buy yet another book! DD listened to the sample and said "We HAVE to get that!"

At least now I don't have to read aloud the Roger Lancelyn Green version that I was planning for next year. And already had on my shelf.  :leaving:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

"Fun" books

the book Half Magic (Eager) has a humorous chapter in which the children go back to King Arthur's day

Camelot Inheritance series (Morgan)

Camelot (editor: Jane Yolen) -- collection of short stories based around King Arthur -- some modern/some medieval settings, some humorous/some series

Classics Illustrated comic of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Twain)

"Fun" movies/TV

The Sword in the Stone (1963) -- Disney animated

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949) -- Bing Crosby musical/comedy

A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)

Merlin -- TV series -- personally, I found it to be dull and poorly done TV, and way too modern with a focus on "high school teen" issues, BUT, this could be perfect for young teens :)

"Traditional" books

King Arthur: Tales of the Round Table (Andrew Lang)

Story of King Arthur and His Knights (Howard Pyle)

King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (illustrated by Tenggren)

"Traditional" movies/TV

Knights of the Round Table (1953)

The Black Knight (1954); Prince Valiant (1954) -- set in the world of King Arthur; not the traditional stories

We really enjoyed the audio book version of the Knight's Tales series by Morris. I think it would count as fun. And I'll throw out there that I really enjoyed Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave trilogy (the King Arthur story from Merlin's perspective) but I did not read it with kid appropriateness in mind so not sure where it falls on that count (I don't remember anything particularly objectionable though.) We enjoyed Roger Lancelyn Green's Robin Hood so if you want strictly traditional I'd guess his King Arthur would be worth a try.

Hey! This is my old thread from last year! :-)

I ended up ordering Stories of King Arthur and his Knights by Barbara Leonie Picard as well as King Arthur and his Knights by Elizabeth Lodor Merchant.  After reading through parts of those and liking them both (and deciding that I wasn't as keen on Once and Future King for DD), I had DD read the Picard one and I read the Merchant one to the boys...mostly so that we didn't have book contention.  No one was super into it at the time, but we got it done.

Fast forward months later...through reading the Prydain Chronicles, DD decided she actually did like fantasy after all, and this summer we decided to read the Dark is Rising sequence.  Totally forgot it was recommended in this thread! We really like it a lot (we're reading the last book in that series right now), and I think it was helpful to have already read a traditional Arthur.

My boys ran across The Invisible Tower (Otherworld Chronicles) and listened to the audiobook recently.  It is a modern/Arthurian mashup and they really enjoyed it.

• Like 2