Menu

Do you suffer from decision fatigue?

luuknam

Do you suffer from decision fatigue?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from decision fatigue?

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No
    • Whoever made this poll is evil!!!

Ever feel tired of making a zillion decisions every day? What to cook for dinner, what to teach the kids (today, tomorrow, next year), whether your kid is crying about not being able to put his clothes on because he's spoiled or because it's really too hard and whether to just ignore him, tell him to keep trying, or go help him? What TV program to watch or what book to read now that the kids are in bed and asleep?

And, if you do ever feel like that, have you found the miracle cure yet?

ETA: whether it's whomever or whoever...

• Like 1

Yep ... almost every day. 

Due to dh's illness (Alzheimer's), I can't even run ideas past him very well. He listens and agrees with whatever I say, even if I present both sides of the issue in one conversation.

I have been messing around for years about whether to leave our church. I just couldn't bite the bullet and do it. Finally, the elders told me I should. I wish I felt better about it, but I'm still torn. Sigh .....

yes, grocery shopping fatigues me.  I will often go and get only things I need right away, and maybe stuff for one dinner because I want to go home.  Drives my dh batty. My mother was the same way, looking back. 

• Like 1

I'm a bossy older sister, so .. no, I don't :lol: .

But I have a SIL like that. She's very sensitive in general, so I think she just FEELS things way more than I do.

She's more in-tune to people, which translates into her feeling more overrun by trying to take everybody into account while making her decisions. For example, what's for dinner?  Me: whatever is in the fridge or whichever takeout menu is on top.  Her: well, we have salmon and soup in the fridge, but Betty doesn't care for fish and Billy ate the soup for lunch so let me see what else I can piece together ... and oh, I'd really love takeout but Hubby doesn't like that they bread the teriyaki and Betty had pizza at her sleepover last night so let me figure out what two places are near enough each other than everyone gets what they like.

She and I often plan our family holidays together. We each know our strengths and our challenges, and each other's, and can joke about those with each other.

• Like 1

I watch my son suffer from the same (or worse) indecisiveness that I do, so I have been working very diligently to teach him decision-making skills AND tricks. Mostly coin flipping. :-) He has become very good at making a large number of not-important but time- and energy-wasting decisions by coin flip.

Personally, I'm trying to pay careful attention to how often the weight and importance of a particular decision are completely gone once the decision is made. Like there isn't/wasn't really a right or wrong answer -- just a decision that needed to be made and it didn't matter what choice I made. Total relaxation once the choice is made, and rarely any regret, so I'm trying to spend less time in the pondering and getting quicker to the "done."

• Like 2

Sometimes. More often than not, but not all the time every day.

It's when there are no clear answers that's the hardest--like the finessing of parenting. I can decide which yogurt to eat, but how do I decide whether to come down firm or to come down soft? There's a time for both in parenting. It's hard to know what to do.

Some days everything runs smoothly and some days if someone asks me a question after 5 pm. I tell them, "Whatever YOU want to do! YOU decide!"

• Like 1

Yes. I have started deliberately narrowing my choices after hearing about a study that said the more choices we have, the less happy we end up being when we finally decide. I used to consider every possible option for every single decision, which wasted a ton of time without great benefit.

• Like 3

Yes. I have started deliberately narrowing my choices after hearing about a study that said the more choices we have, the less happy we end up being when we finally decide. I used to consider every possible option for every single decision, which wasted a ton of time without great benefit.

I read a similar article and it changed my behavior and it helped. The thing that struck me was how overwhelming it is to go grocery shopping these days.

You can't just go buy canned pork and beans. There are 35 different choices in that section. Canned tomatoes? Four brands, three sizes each, basil infused, roasted, sundries, chopped, diced, smashed, etc...and you are supposed to know all about all these options.

I've started shopping at smaller stores. It has helped. Minimizing options has been enormously helpful.

For more reasons than this.

Yes. Yes. Yes. 

I have limited my wardrobe so it is not so stressful... black short sleeve t-shirts in the summer. Black long sleeve t-shirts in the winter. Done and done. Also, my kid wipes his face on me. Little monster. 

I am totally hating going into certain stores because they just ask so. many. questions. Rewards number? Donate to charity? Round up for charity? What type of card are you using? Do you want to buy this special thing because I'm forced to ask you? Walgreens, yeah, I'm talking about you.  :toetap05:

• Like 1

I am totally hating going into certain stores because they just ask so. many. questions. Rewards number? Donate to charity? Round up for charity? What type of card are you using? Do you want to buy this special thing because I'm forced to ask you? Walgreens, yeah, I'm talking about you. :toetap05:

THIS.

Yes.  At this point in my life, it is about 90% of the reason I'm ready for my kids to just be adults already.  (I know that isn't popular among moms to say, but I am READY).  I'm tired of making decisions for 5 people.  After 20 some odd years of it, I'm TIRED.  FRIED.  

I don't know the answer.  I DO know that it becomes overwhelming about once a month...ahem.  

The rest of the time, I'm just mildly annoyed when my people that have brains don't choose to use them.  

Oh.  And I hate food.  I want someone to present me with a meal at dinner time, with no thought whatsoever needed on my part.  What is 23 times 365 times 3?  I have figured out what to feed us, that everyone will eat, approximately 25,000 times now.  I don't wanna anymore :(

Yes! After reading this thread I can prove to my husband that it is not just me!!

Sometime I just feel frozen with indecisiveness. Hah! I even have two sets of curtains hanging in my bedroom right now while I try and decide which ones I like the best. It is the second set of different curtains!! :mellow: 

Um...maybe? :lol: 

Yes, terribly. I'm so worn out, I barely even want people to talk to me anymore. DH keeps trying to make me come outside with him to make small decisions about the aspects of the garden that he's in charge of. For pete's sake, I planned the entire garden, decided what amendments to use, re-dug and amended all the beds, rotated and laid out all the crops, bought seeds, bought plants, made replacements when things didn't work, moved things around as needed, have succession planting crops scheduled, am keeping an eye on pests, am dealing with whether or not to use organic pesticides/repellents (which ones? where? when? is it worth it? is it too close to harvest?), am out there every morning trying to figure out what needs harvesting, what should wait... Good grief. Just put the watering spikes where there are plants growing!!!! Hang the lines on the cucumber trellis as high as the frame will let you! 

Whew, sorry, got a little ranty there. Don't even get me started on the financing, shopping, planning, packing, and transportation to and from this cruise we're about to go on.

You know, typing this all out just made me resolve that things are going to need to change some when we get back in a week or so  :glare:

Yes I suffer from decision fatigue and I think my decision making has been really poor recently which makes me hate it more. My family are so bad at making decisions I'm making a lot of decision for two other adults as well as all the kids stuff. The two other adults just do nothing bigger decisions arrive and it's really annoying. 

Often, yes. I get so tired of being the one who has to do all the thinking around here, which makes me ultimately the one responsible for everything. 

For instance, I will say "We should do such and such." To which "they" reply, "Great idea," or "sure, let's." And that is the end of "their" contribution. I have to do all the planning and either the actual work, or playing drill sergeant to get the work done.