Menu

Vaccines in light of the new CA law

CAMom

Hi Everyone,

Not looking for debate in this particular thread. :D

In light of the new law in CA eliminating the "personal belief" exemption for vaccines....

Let's say you had a kid you had not vaccinated or have a close family member or friend who has kids they have not yet vaccinated. They do not live in CA but speculate that similar laws will start to be passed in other states. So, they want to slowly start vaccinating in anticipation to avoid having to get a slew of vaccines at once.

For those who have had a delayed schedule or spread out schedule, where would you start with getting the kid(s) vaccinated?

Hi Everyone,

Not looking for debate in this particular thread. :D

In light of the new law in CA eliminating the "personal belief" exemption for vaccines....

Let's say you had a kid you had not vaccinated or have a close family member or friend who has kids they have not yet vaccinated. They do not live in CA but speculate that similar laws will start to be passed in other states. So, they want to slowly start vaccinating in anticipation to avoid having to get a slew of vaccines at once.

For those who have had a delayed schedule or spread out schedule, where would you start with getting the kid(s) vaccinated?

I think that's a difficult question because people feel differently about various vaccines or the diseases they prevent. However, I thought it was interesting to compare a child's recommended vaccine schedule with the "catch up" schedule for an unvaccinated adult. There are a number of vaccines that are no longer considered necessary after a certain age.

• Like 2

I would go to the doctor and go with the "catch up" schedule they recommend.  Unless I was a medical professional I'd not try to research this out on my own.

ETA:  I have not read the law, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it requires a kid to get all their shots at one time.  I mean, I don't know that any doctor would even do that, since it's not what the CDC recommends.  Wouldn't the law allow for time for a kid to get caught up on their shots?

• Like 2

I would go to the doctor and go with the "catch up" schedule they recommend.  Unless I was a medical professional I'd not try to research this out on my own.

ETA:  I have not read the law, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it requires a kid to get all their shots at one time.  I mean, I don't know that any doctor would even do that, since it's not what the CDC recommends.  Wouldn't the law allow for time for a kid to get caught up on their shots?

My understanding is that if a child is already in public or private school, they can stay until 7th grade. If they are not vaccinated by then, they will have to be homeschooled or in a public off campus charter.

If they are in daycare, they can stay until kindergarten at which point they must be vaccinated.

It's difficult to say without more family info.

It would depend on the number and spacing of shots and their boosters, where the family lives, how much they travel abroad, what diseases they have already had, and if there's a family history of problems with a particular vaccine. 

As others have said, it's best to work with their family doctor or pediatrician.

My understanding is that if a child is already in public or private school, they can stay until 7th grade. If they are not vaccinated by then, they will have to be homeschooled or in a public off campus charter.

If they are in daycare, they can stay until kindergarten at which point they must be vaccinated.

I think that's true. Assuming Brown signs the bill in the next 11 days, and I think he will, kids who are unvaccinated and are due to start 7th grade in August are in for a slew of vaccines in a short time period. Unless there's some one-year delay in the bill for kids who are currently rising 7th graders that I don't know about.

I think that's true. Assuming Brown signs the bill in the next 11 days, and I think he will, kids who are unvaccinated and are due to start 7th grade in August are in for a slew of vaccines in a short time period. Unless there's some one-year delay in the bill for kids who are currently rising 7th graders that I don't know about.

He signed it today.

Wait - CA law, prior to today, allowed people to use a 'personal preference etc" type exemption for day care? Not just public school? 

He signed it today.

Yeah, I figured he would but he'd been silent on the matter so I wasn't sure.

Is there a one-time delay in it for rising K'ers and 7th graders? Is it in effect immediately or is their a grace period?

It's July tomorrow and school starts in August. Doctors are already super busy in the summer with camp and sports physicals and giving kids their regularly scheduled vaccines without spending appointments on unvaccinated kids. I wonder how this will all work.  :confused1:

My parents had summers off (academia) and we used to travel for 4-6 weeks in the summer sometimes. I wonder if those types of kids will have to get multiple shots on the same day.

Wait - CA law, prior to today, allowed people to use a 'personal preference etc" type exemption for day care? Not just public school? 

I believe so. It was called a philosophical exemption. That didn't mean the daycare had to take you, though. That's my understanding anyway.

I believe so. It was called a philosophical exemption. That didn't mean the daycare had to take you, though. That's my understanding anyway.

Oh ok. I was thinking that because the law said they could do the exemption that meant the daycare had to honor it. Public school is different but that would be really tough for a private daycare. Not to mention that would be a huge pendulum swing from forcing private daycare to accept unvaxed kids to the strictest 'must vaccinate' law in the county :-).

I actually don't know what the daycare law is in VA where I live. We do have a religious exemption. I do know that daycares do not allow those exemptions. At least not the ones I've dealt with over the years. I was at my daughter's daycare one day when a woman was having a complete meltdown because her child had been removed because they wouldn't comply with the vax rules. That was a long time ago but I don't think it's changed. We have a medical exemptions too but kids with medical issues significant enough to warrant no vaccines are rarely in day care with a bunch of toddlers.

I would start the series first. Several shots require two or more to get full immunity:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

Persons age 7 through 18 years

Vaccine Minimum Age for Dose 1 Minimum Interval Between Doses Dose 1 to dose 2 Dose 2 to dose 3 Dose 3 to dose 4 Dose 4 to dose 5

Tetanus, diphtheria; tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis4 7 years 4 4 weeks 4 weeks if first dose of DTaP/DT was administered before the 1stbirthday. 6 months (as final dose) if first dose of DTaP/DT was administered at or after the 1stbirthday.  6 months if first dose of DTaP/DT was administered before the 1stbirthday.

Human papillomavirus12 9 years Routine dosing intervals are recommended.12

Hepatitis A11 Not applicable (N/A) 6 months    

Hepatitis B1 N/A 4 weeks 8 weeks andat least 16 weeks after first dose

Inactivated Poliovirus7 N/A 4 weeks 4 weeks7 6 months7

Meningococcal13 N/A 8 weeks13 

Measles, mumps, rubella9 N/A 4 weeks

Varicella10 N/A 3 monthsif younger than age 13 years. 4 weeksif age 13 years or older      

I also would strongly suggest that the person in question look at the question of adjuvants vs. vaccines if they are concerned about vaccines for health reasons. If you get combination shots, you end up with less adjuvants altogether. For the record, I've been vaxxed to the nines and I do not really get this concern, BUT, given that the person you are talking about may have a concern. The DTaP and MMRV take care of SEVEN vaccines in just two series; four shots altogether. If you split them up, that is 13 shots over the entire series. 4 vs. 13. They don't double up the adjuvants on the combo shots so you really can reduce your exposure to a lot by getting combination vaccines.

Following that, I'd do Meningococcal because that happens here and it sucks, followed by Hep A and Hep B--rare but they happen here, followed by polio and HPV. The order of that list is "things I could possibly get, in order of likelihood, assuming I am under the age of 10 and definitely not sexually active".

For a girl attending middle-school to high-school events, even if she's homeschooled and pure and perfect and would never do anything, ever, and probably won't even have sex when she's married not even with her own hand, I would STILL get the HPV and meningococcal first because guess what... whether or not she has sex is not always up to her, sadly. And the last thing you want if you are the victim of sexual violence is an extra STI with cancer risk, on top of it.*

And yes, my stepdaughter got it and passed out (only vaccine reaction in her life) and my daughters will absolutely get it.

*I would also like to add your beloved husband only has to cheat one time, even if he was a virgin when you got married, to give you a lifetime STI. Seriously, think about it.

• Like 1

I'll go with Tetanus (DTAP) first just because of the higher possibility of getting lockjaw in a cut.

Is there a one-time delay in it for rising K'ers and 7th graders? Is it in effect immediately or is their a grace period?

The law takes effect next year July

"Children who are not vaccinated must be home-schooled or participate in public school independent study. The law goes into effect July 1, 2016."

http://ktla.com/2015/06/30/gov-brown-signs-law-ending-personal-religious-exemptions-to-school-vaccine-requirements/

• Like 1

The law takes effect next year July

"Children who are not vaccinated must be home-schooled or participate in public school independent study. The law goes into effect July 1, 2016."

http://ktla.com/2015/06/30/gov-brown-signs-law-ending-personal-religious-exemptions-to-school-vaccine-requirements/

Thanks. I was thinking how much craziness it would be if it applied this school year. I should have just looked it up.

• Like 1

In my state there are 18 required vaccination for public school. Mine homeschool. We vaccinated on our schedule. One vaccine at a time with at least 3 months between each.

If I was in a pairing with an older child and had to catch up, I would still do one vaccine at a time with at least a month between each. Talk to your Pediatrician about which order.

Well, first, if I really was anti vaccinations, I'd be looking for a doctor to sign the medical exemption. Barring that, I would first start with any that are actually required, and I'd do the catch up there first. My state has some that are required and some that are recommended, and I'd start with the required ones first, asking my family doctor which ones he or she felt were the most important.

I suppose maybe meningococcal and other meningitis vaccines would be at the top of my list, if I weren't getting them all, and chicken pox, rotavirus (especially for an older children), and hep B would be at the bottom. And I'm personally not a fan of the HPV vaccine because I'm really concerned about its safety. I think it's just not well studied enough for my liking.

It is something I would discuss with my child's doctor, and if the schedule they suggest seemed too much too fast, I would alter it.  My children's pediatrician is very pro-vaccination, but is also willing to talk to me about my concerns and not get pushy about it.  She explains which vaccines she sees as the most important and why and then leaves it up to me to decide.

Yeah, I figured he would but he'd been silent on the matter so I wasn't sure.

It's July tomorrow and school starts in August. Doctors are already super busy in the summer with camp and sports physicals and giving kids their regularly scheduled vaccines without spending appointments on unvaccinated kids. I wonder how this will all work.  :confused1:

My parents had summers off (academia) and we used to travel for 4-6 weeks in the summer sometimes. I wonder if those types of kids will have to get multiple shots on the same day.

My understanding is the new bill goes into effect January 1, so children can still file a PBE (personal belief exemption) until then.

Kids are covered within grade "spans" by their PBE, so if you have a child entering Kindergarten or 7th you are in a fantastic position, because you are covered from K to 6th grade. (Other spans: birth - preschool; TK - 6, 7 - up).

The delay in implementation of the law should give families some time to get caught up to state requirements. (Or wait it out and hope for a repeal, court case, world-ending earthquake?)

Definitely depends on child's age. The older you are, the fewer you need. CDC has a "catch-up" schedule based on age. Dd's doc and I looked at what she needed and spaced them out depending on a variety of things (risks, age, reactions, etc). I would also recommend titers drawn after a series to see if they have immunity.

Well, first, if I really was anti vaccinations, I'd be looking for a doctor to sign the medical exemption. Barring that, I would first start with any that are actually required, and I'd do the catch up there first. My state has some that are required and some that are recommended, and I'd start with the required ones first, asking my family doctor which ones he or she felt were the most important.

I suppose maybe meningococcal and other meningitis vaccines would be at the top of my list, if I weren't getting them all, and chicken pox, rotavirus (especially for an older children), and hep B would be at the bottom. And I'm personally not a fan of the HPV vaccine because I'm really concerned about its safety. I think it's just not well studied enough for my liking.

Rotavirus is only recommended if the three dose series will be completed by the time the child is eight months old.  Rotavirus would never be recommended for a school age child.

For the OP: Your friend's best bet is to talk to their child's pediatrician.  They will likely recommend that the standard CDC/ACIP catchup schedule be followed.  Because the goal of the schedule is to get children caught up as soon as possible this will definitely involve more than one immunization at a time. If a parent is opposed to that then they should make the consultation appointment sooner rather than later because some immunizations require more than one dose to complete the series and there are minimum intervals required between doses.

• Like 1

We had something similar, but not identical, when my kids joined a charter/homeschool umbrella program.   In my state, they would have allowed us to use a personal exemption, but I did not feel that was necessary.   I told them that I was not willing to give my kids more than one vaccine per month, and they said that was OK with them.  

We had done most of the vaccines until kindergarten, but there were several we hadn't done yet.  So I looked at them and picked first the ones that were the biggest concern for my kids.    Eg, I don't really care if my kids get the chicken pox disease.  I'd actually rather they did, but I can't find an exposure now.  So we didn't do that one first.   Hepatitis A raises it's head around here every so often and it takes more than one shot to be fully immune, so we did that one early.   Pertussis isn't a huge deal for kids in the middle years, but it can infect babies pretty severely.  Some of their friends still have baby siblings, so we did that one earlier, too.   

We just spaced them one one per month and I didn't worry a whole lot about them, but I generally did the ones I thought they were more likely to be exposed to first.    I did not do Guardasil, because I do have a philosophical problem for that one for kids under 15, and a greater concern over possible consequences after that.

In MN there is an option for partial immunization with a schedule for the rest within 8months w/ doctor sign off[1]... This is mainly for new immigrants and refugees who need to enroll in school but are new to the medical system... but could apply to anti-vaxxers as well if the conscientious objection went away. I don't know if CA has something similar in their new law but getting a first dose of all the listed vaccines would be a good place to start.

Here is a quote of the doctor sign off:

I certify that this student has received at least one dose
of vaccine for diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis (if
age-appropriate), polio, hepatitis B, varicella, measles,
mumps, and rubella and will complete his/her diphthe-
ria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, and/or polio vaccine
series within the next 8 months.

[1] http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/immunize/studentimzfm.pdf