Menu

Straight-forward, easy-to-teach math

AnniePoo

I need something for my 2nd grader (working solidly at a 3rd level).  

I used Singapore last year and, while it was a good program, the lack of consistency between lessons drove me nuts.  I am juggling some little ones, a move, an ill husband, and I just don't have the brain space to be figuring what I need to do every day.  Some lessons had a textbook activity; some didn't.  Some took 2 minutes; some took 30.  Which is fine and all but I need something that's easier to schedule into my day.  I don't want to have to *think* about anything other than teaching and and handing a worksheet.

Are there any programs out there that are very straight-forward, constant, and would allow the teacher to teach for 5-10 minutes at the beginning of the lesson and then step away?  

This child is very visual, logical, and methodical if that makes any difference.  Fluff isn't appreciated.  And since he'd be a year ahead, I need to make sure it's not too much work for a child his age.  

Math U See.  You can either teach or watch the 5 minute video lesson together.  Follow the three steps to mastery: present, watch, learn.  Present the material, watch to make sure he understands how to use the blocks/do the problem, and have him teach it back to you to finish the lesson.  You can use as many or as few of the worksheets per lesson that you like, but it's not a very teacher intensive program at all, nor does it have a lot of daily work since it's incremental.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with MUS with a different child.  At the beginning of the year, for months the lessons were about 5 minutes long.  By the end it was almost an hour.  Again, the lack of predictability was infuriating.  This was for gamma.

I am considering CLE but wanted to use it for LA.  It seems like workbook overkill.  Maybe I can use something else for LA.

I had the same problem with MUS with a different child.  At the beginning of the year, for months the lessons were about 5 minutes long.  By the end it was almost an hour.  Again, the lack of predictability was infuriating.  This was for gamma.

I think this is going to be a common issue no matter what you use.  As the math becomes more complex or new ideas are introduced, it will take longer.  It will be very hard to find a year that is consistent time-wise all the way through unless you choose to make it so.

• Like 1

Math U See does come to mind but....the depth and quality of the math education is, imo, lacking with MUS.  It is a very basic math curricula...nuts and bolts, that's it.  Some kids need that.  But other kids (and it sounds like yours might be that way, if they are working a year ahead) really do better with more depth and exploration of math.

Unfortunately, math is just that kind of topic where...sometimes it takes five minutes and sometimes it takes much longer.  Depends on the topic and the kiddo.

Do you schedule ahead?  If not, have you thought about doing so?  I schedule a quarter at a time.  And while I can't completely predict how readily my kiddos will grasp new math concepts, I build time into the schedule that allows for us to take more time if we need to.  And if we don't need to, than bonus free time.  

I also pull everything that we need ahead of time.  Every worksheet we need for the entire quarter is filed weekly and organized so that the week before, I can grab a set of folders and lay out the week's work.  Easy.  

Another vote for CLE math (and language arts).  Time will vary between lessons in any math program, but CLE is super easy to use and a very solid math program.  I also do like the LA for my daughter (and she likes it, too.  Even if there are 4 sheets to do, it takes between 10-20 minutes to do.  I do not make her do the spelling tests, as she is far above their level in that area.  I also usually have her skip the penmanship practice, as she gets enough in her other subjects (until they get to cursive).  Highly recommend placement tests (free on their site), as I thought mine was solid 3rd grade in math, but she tested into 2nd grade.  Might not be the case for you, but never hurts to be sure:)  

We switched to CLE math a couple of years ago and have been thrilled with it. New material is gently introduced in a brief section at the beginning of each lesson, then the remainder of the lesson enables the student to work independently on reinforcement of prior concepts. Great spiral review, and very "get er done" as they say. I sit with DD for 2-3 minutes during the introductory material only, then she completes the rest of the lesson on her own.

We used K12 math prior to CLE (we switched when 3rd grade Common Core math sucked all math joy out of my daughter, causing her to lay on the floor and moan), and the difference is like night and day. Straightforward lessons, great retention, lesson length is just right. I'm a huge fan of CLE!

I need something for my 2nd grader (working solidly at a 3rd level).  

I used Singapore last year and, while it was a good program, the lack of consistency between lessons drove me nuts.  I am juggling some little ones, a move, an ill husband, and I just don't have the brain space to be figuring what I need to do every day.  Some lessons had a textbook activity; some didn't.  Some took 2 minutes; some took 30.  Which is fine and all but I need something that's easier to schedule into my day.  I don't want to have to *think* about anything other than teaching and and handing a worksheet.

Are there any programs out there that are very straight-forward, constant, and would allow the teacher to teach for 5-10 minutes at the beginning of the lesson and then step away?  

This child is very visual, logical, and methodical if that makes any difference.  Fluff isn't appreciated.  And since he'd be a year ahead, I need to make sure it's not too much work for a child his age.  

Rod and Staff.

I've used MUS and CLE, and I'd say CLE fits what you are describing. I'm currently using it with four children, and it has a very steady, predictable layout that is easy to schedule. CLE has a tight spiral review, which my children really need. MUS is a nice program, but it doesn't have adequate review for the way my kids' brains are wired.

• Like 1

Agree with many above.  CLE has a tight spiral, only the beginning of the lesson is new stuff that you would be working directly with your child on, and the rest is review they can usually do independently.  Cross out some of the review problems in areas they are solid (thrills and invigorates the kids to see some crossed out) so the lessons aren't so long.  Get the TM for easy grading and access to extra practice pages and alternate tests (just in case you need them) plus the flashcards.  Definitely get the CLE flashcards.  

Another vote for Math Mammoth. I second the concern that CLE might be too easy if he's working a full year ahead. That implies he needs something with some depth.

As to the "inconsistent" length of lessons, stop paying attention to "the lesson." Decide how long math is. Set a timer. Stop when it's over. The people who wrote the curriculum did not know which lessons would be more difficult for your individual child. But that's why you homeschool. One lesson does not have to equal one day. It's okay for some days to be two or three lessons and other days to be a quarter of a lesson. As you move forward in math this is going to be more and more true. And if your child continues to accelerate, it's going to be extra true.

• Like 2

As for CLE not being challenging enough... I disagree, it's just a different style of learning and teaching math. After doing both I can say confidently it's not an "easy" math, at all, compared to Singapore. It's just an easy format and easy to get done, but the actual math is solid.

I second the concern that CLE might be too easy if he's working a full year ahead. That implies he needs something with some depth.

CLE has plenty of depth. In fact, when I used it at grade level as review for my Prealgebra kid in 4th grade after completing Singapore 5B (in 3rd), he was finding things he hadn't done much of in Singapore. I don't see how working ahead equates to lack of depth? Are you then saying that Singapore lacks depth? And AoPS, for that matter? He finished AoPS Prealgebra in 5th grade, and I know you don't believe it lacks depth. :)

CLE had enough depth that my middle son was able to do Beast Academy 3A while still near the beginning of CLE 200. He didn't have any problems until he got to the perfect squares chapter in 3B, and his then first grader brain wasn't ready for that yet.

Having used Math Mammoth, Singapore, Beast Academy, CLE, and AoPS... CLE has plenty of depth for an elementary student, imo. It's really quite thorough. I've been very happy with it for my mathy kids who work above grade level regardless of the math curriculum used. Is it a difficult as Beast Academy? No. But does it provide a solid math foundation that can lead into AoPS for upper math for a math inclined kid? Absolutely.

• Like 1

I think the only place that CLE might need a bit of supplementation is in multi-step in depth word problems.  But just add in some word problems from Singapore or the word problem workbook from Math In Focus (buy it used on Amazon for very little) and just rotate those in maybe one or two problems every couple of weeks.  CLE has word problems, by the way.  Its just as you get into later levels it helps to have something written a bit differently to expose the kids to.

Other than that, CLE just introduces things in a way that makes it LOOK easy.  

Of course, no program works for every child.  The beauty of CLE is that you can buy the first couple of workbooks just to try it out and only be out about $8 or so.

Give the placement test, though.  Free, on-line.  Just download to your computer and print out.  It only costs if you ask them to mail you one.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the way I teach Singapore here is to sit down with the kid and the textbook, go through the new concept in the textbook together, and then assign whatever workbook pages I think that particular kid needs based on how well they understood the sample problems we did together.

I usually only "teach" in this way once a week -- for the rest of the week, I just answer questions as needed about the workbook exercises.

This method requires zero preparation. I just teach until it feels like enough new material has been introduced, assign some amount of work in the workbook, and give the kid a deadline ("do these five pages by Thursday.")

I doubt this would work with kids who needed more instruction, but if your child is ahead in math, such a method might be right for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We love Saxon and work a year ahead. It is very predictable. You teach the lesson and they do the worksheet. Exactly what you referenced wanting to do. I love the constant review and spiral of the program. I would have enjoyed math so much more if I had learned this way. 

Horizons may fit the bill, but imo, the teachers manual is not very scripted if you want it laid out for you. We use A Beka, and I find it to be what you are looking for me, and it is very visual, but it has a lot if moving pieces and visual aids to purchase that may not be right for you. but the work is challenging. Both are spiral in nature and colorful workbooks.

I think you need to first decide if you want something spiral with lots of review or more mastery based. What works best for your child?

I think the only place that CLE might need a bit of supplementation is in multi-step in depth word problems.  But just add in some word problems from Singapore or the word problem workbook from Math In Focus (buy it used on Amazon for very little) and just rotate those in maybe one or two problems every couple of weeks.  CLE has word problems, by the way.  Its just as you get into later levels it helps to have something written a bit differently to expose the kids to.

Other than that, CLE just introduces things in a way that makes it LOOK easy.  

Of course, no program works for every child.  The beauty of CLE is that you can buy the first couple of workbooks just to try it out and only be out about $8 or so.

Give the placement test, though.  Free, on-line.  Just download to your computer and print out.  It only costs if you ask them to mail you one.

Totally agree with this. CLE, supplemented with a few multistep word problems, is what you need.

Be sure to have him take the placement test.