Menu

Homeschool names?

Ours is "Mount Parnassus Academy" with the hydra as our mascot. DD wanted a "real school" when she was 6, which turned out to mean she wanted a cute mascot, a t-shirt, and a sticker for mom's minivan. It's not official since we register with a cover school in our state and they issue the transcript/diploma, but it appears on DD's badge at conferences and we order school stuff under that name. So far, the only comment was from someone at the American Classical League who sent DD's results for the NME with a post-it reading "LOVE the school name!"

I am thinking of calling ours The Machen Athenaeum.  Machen is after J. Gresham Machen, a theologian, and Athenaeum because it's a fun word.  The name looks good in Old English font, too, which is obviously very important. ;)

But this is like the third or fourth name I've considered, so who knows if I'll stick with it?  DH doesn't care at all what I call it, and DD would name it something like The Princess Flamingo Pikmin Home School of Fun.

• Like 1

I mentioned this thread to DS8, and he suggested "Building School." I said, "Well, we do more than just build..." (Although there is quite a bit of that going on - mostly of the Lego and Zoob variety).

His reply was, "We're building brains!"  :laugh:

• Like 2

My oldest daughter christened our school South Darcastle Academy for Young Gentry.  It used to have a school page on Facebook but as my 2 daughters were its only students and they both deleted their accounts I think it is gone.

Their diplomas read SD Academy

I love that! That's so funny. ...Young gentry... Sounds like you have some pretty cool kids : )

St. Hedwig's School for Exceptional Children

(Harry Potter reference, saint name, and all three of my kiddos has been classified as twice-exceptional)

Okay, I couldn't possibly love this more :)

As for us, we recently moved to a state that asks for a name so we picked one. Imago Dei Classical School. I figure it's descriptive enough, not cutesy (I wouldn't be embarrassed to put it on a diploma) and suits us. 

But for this year my kids *think* they're attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, they already received their letters and Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans and I'm in the midst of planning our start-of-term feast for September :) 

• Like 1

I asked my husband what we should call it, (I suggested "The Round Up School" since we're into Toy Story right now) and he said we should call it something different every year based on a theme. It's a fun idea but then I can't use it on documents continuously. My Round Up School idea doesn't work either because it would soon be outgrown. Guess I need to think of something more sophisticated!

We named our school Five Stars Academy (5 kids).  But when she graduated, dd wanted to use our last name - Academy.  She was proud she was homeschooled and wanted it to be obvious on her diploma.  Love that girl :)

Sue

• Like 1