Menu

Plus size workout clothes (pants, mainly)?

ondreeuh

I am an apple shape, and pants tend to roll down to my hips. I would like to be more active, but I need to be able to move faster than a walk without my pants falling down.I am looking for shorts/pants/capris (I'm not too picky!) that will stay up. Old Navy had some plus-sized high-waisted compression capris that are now sold out. :glare:  Looking on Amazon, it seems few products are made bigger than an XL.

I have a Sports Authority nearby, but they are terrible about stocking plus sizes. Only skinny people need to exercise, right? My Target has about two racks of plus stuff, all of it ugly, and none of it exercise wear. There is a Wal-Mart here that I will go to if I have to, but it is seriously gross. There's a tiny Sears .... anything else is too much of a hassle to get to. So I don't mind shopping online if I can get some idea of how they fit, and if I can do free returns.

Any suggestions?

I like Lane Bryant's activewear, at least the pants--I haven't tried the shirts because I can get cheap ones to fit me fine. Pants are a different story. I have huge hips and a waist that, while still large, is proportionately smaller than you'd expect based on my hip size. (I think I count as a pear.) I do prefer to buy the ones that are advertised as "low rise," though, because in my experience, those sit at my waist. The ones that are not low rise are too long in the torso for me. I think if I were more of an apple shape, they would fit better.

• Like 2

I have two pair I recently bought at Walmart that I really like. I don't want to send you to a gross Walmart, but I like the ones I got there. They are danskin brand. One pair is fitted (tight like leggings) which I would never wear in public, but I love the way they fit. The other pair is more relaxed and not as tight in the legs. Those tops of yoga pants usually slide down on me, but these don't have that really tall fold over top some yoga pants have. Try Walmart.com if you don't want to actually go there. HTH

• Like 2

I have some capris from champion I got on Amazon: champion women's jersey Capri. They have a drawstring which is best for my apple shape, and only about $15. ETA - they have I think up to XXL. Or maybe 3x?

That being said they can roll down still if they aren't tightened enough, but I like to wear long shirts JIC.

Also any shorts by champion usually with a drawstring.

• Like 1

Not cheap but I have two pairs that didn't fall down (before I got too small for them). Both were from REI. One was REI branded capris. The other Nike brand running pants. Seriously, I'd almost rather gain the weight back then try to replace those pants. I got them on their clearance rack but they have an outlet and sale section on their website since you don't have a store nearby.

• Like 1

Old navy has lots of different kinds of yoga pants, as long as you get the right size you shouldn't need compression to keep them up.   Every pair from them works better than more expensive kinds IME.  I think Target has some larger sizes sometimes, though they probably only go up to an XXL (20 or 22), which may work depending on your size.

• Like 1

Look at Sears.com. I love the pants I got from them recently, on clearance. They fit true to size. I don't know about returns.

Catherines recently added workout wear. Free shipping to,the store or a sister store ( lane Bryant).

Returns can be made to a catherines store for immediate credit, or to lane Bryant, but they have to mail it back and credit shows up later.

• Like 1

Walmart carries a Danskin line that I like, I prefer the pants that have a drawstring in the waist. They are a cotton blend so they aren't good for workouts where you will get really sweaty, but they are good for walking, hiking, or running on cooler days.

I also really like Old Navy's compression pants, maybe they will have them again soon.

If you don't mind spending a bit, I have Adidas and Brooks compression capris that don't roll down. I found them at Dicks Sporting Goods a few years ago. They do have a website if you don't have a store in your area.

Eta I think mine are 2xl so that may not be helpful.

• Like 1

Super helpful, ladies! I do have Adidas shorts that fit well, but don't stay up. I wish I had a bigger butt to balance things out (only a true apple will understand). So maybe getting some tights to wear underneath would work. I think I will try swinging by Sears and Walmart (shiver), and then try LB and Target online.

I'm not plus size fwiw but I recently got some slight compression pants at KMart which I wore for the first time today, only paid $4 on sale and they stayed up well and were a higher waist(which I think helps them stay up better), they were the Jillian Micheals brand and it seemed she had a fairly wide range of styles and sizes from xs to xl+ and a good chunk on sale, mine weren't marked down but they range up on sale like the rest. 

I'm plus-sized (and pear-shaped), but I do like the XL capri-length workout pants from Lucy.  They cost a bit more, but last forever and really keep their shape and stretch.

I'm too short for the long-legged ones.