Menu

Hot Dog Help!

Kerileanne99

So as strange as it it, I need help with hot dogs!

I have never eaten or bought a hotdog, (lifetime vegetarian) and have somehow been tasked with the bringing of some 60 of these to a Spring Fling event for a Montessori classroom. I am not thrilled by the prospect, lol, as at 36 weeks pregnant even the thought makes me nauseousðŸ˜

That being said, if I am going to do it I want to make sure to get something really good quality (is that possible with a hotdog?!) that the kiddos will eat. I am on bed rest so really cannot go out to look...what says the hive?

If you have a Costco, their beef hotdogs are just about as good as Nathan's (another good brand, but more expensive.) We have cookouts pretty often and I buy the Costco brand. I think they are $12.99 for 3 packs of 10.

ETA: Just checked, and it's 3 12-packs of bun-length beef hot dogs, not 10-packs.

• Like 6

Oh wow! You can't do vegetarian hot-dogs?

Good quality hot dogs, meat ones, are super expensive. I mean it costs a lot to maintain a cow, is the thing. They cost like, a dollar a dog. I'm not kidding. I scrounge for sales and buy the maximum amount, and then the rest of the time we will buy the pastured ones. So if you're willing to go that route, I'd advise Organic Valley grass-fed grazed organic all beef hot-dogs. They are really good.

But let's be honest. These are pre-schoolers and half of them won't even eat the dang thing!!! They'll lick the ketchup off. So don't waste your money. I'd go for certified Kosher because there's oversight, and buy half vegetarian dogs at least. If I were you I'd buy half Oscar Meyer and see if you can bring half vegetarian dogs. How can you be the only vegetarians?

We also buy whole-wheat buns. I don't care who whines about it. The generic whole wheat bun is usually only 50% whole wheat flour. Deal with it.

Also, do you need to bring ketchup, mustard, relish, and mayo?

• Like 1

If you have a Costco, their beef hotdogs are just about as good as Nathan's (another good brand, but more expensive.) We have cookouts pretty often and I buy the Costco brand. I think they are $12.99 for 3 packs of 10.

Not close enough to get to one before the event, unfortunately!

• Like 1

Oh wow! You can't do vegetarian hot-dogs?

Good quality hot dogs, meat ones, are super expensive. I mean it costs a lot to maintain a cow, is the thing. They cost like, a dollar a dog. I'm not kidding. I scrounge for sales and buy the maximum amount, and then the rest of the time we will buy the pastured ones. So if you're willing to go that route, I'd advise Organic Valley grass-fed grazed organic all beef hot-dogs. They are really good.

But let's be honest. These are pre-schoolers and half of them won't even eat the dang thing!!! They'll lick the ketchup off. So don't waste your money. I'd go for certified Kosher because there's oversight, and buy half vegetarian dogs at least. If I were you I'd buy half Oscar Meyer and see if you can bring half vegetarian dogs. How can you be the only vegetarians?

We also buy whole-wheat buns. I don't care who whines about it. The generic whole wheat bun is usually only 50% whole wheat flour. Deal with it.

Also, do you need to bring ketchup, mustard, relish, and mayo?

Lol, we ARE the only vegetarians:). We are in central Texas! I am taking some veggie hotdogs just in case my dd wants one, although she has thus far refused to even try one (or a bun, or ketchup, or anything vaguely close in the standard 'kid-friendly' foods! Not even pizza:)

Yeah, somehow I think I got the short end of the stick on this one! I had a look at the list of what others are bringing and they include things like the buns, or 3 bags of chips...oh well, at least I will know I tried to feed them something vaguely uh, healthier?

So all beef Kosher is what to look for? Any brands to look for or avoid?

• Like 1

I am a former vegetarian and a meat snob, which is why we don't eat a lot of red meat.

You can take one of two approaches: 

1. Be the better person, buy Organic Valley or Applegate, and shell out a good .80c / dog or more.

2. Admit that in the greater scheme of things, most of the meat will go to waste, this is not even a drop in the bucket in terms of quality meat that the kids will eat, and just buy Hebrew National, which are the cheapest ones I'll buy.

I'm sorry for sounding so snobby everyone. My family does cut other corners. I have a hard time cutting corners when a life was involved.

• Like 2

Organic Valley is the way to go.  You don't want to support or take part in what they do to cafo-raised cows, regardless of who eats them or how much of the hot dog is eaten.

Applegate is fine too, probably, but I do like organic valley a lot.

If you can't do that, at least stick to all beef.  What they do to factory raised pigs is, imo, a *lot* worse than what they do to feedlot cows.

• Like 1

You're vegetarian and on bed rest? Honestly, tell them where they can put their hot dogs! Nicely. But still! They can get 36 veggie dogs or assign you a new task.

We get the Applegate from Trader Joe's. They're $2/pack cheaper there. (You got an expensive shaft assignment too!)

• Like 9

I am a former vegetarian and a meat snob, which is why we don't eat a lot of red meat.

You can take one of two approaches:

1. Be the better person, buy Organic Valley or Applegate, and shell out a good .80c / dog or more.

2. Admit that in the greater scheme of things, most of the meat will go to waste, this is not even a drop in the bucket in terms of quality meat that the kids will eat, and just buy Hebrew National, which are the cheapest ones I'll buy.

I'm sorry for sounding so snobby everyone. My family does cut other corners. I have a hard time cutting corners when a life was involved.

😊

I was trying to be diplomatic as well:)

If my money is paying for these I at the very least need to know they are the best I can do on all fronts!

You're vegetarian and on bed rest? Honestly, tell them where they can put their hot dogs! Nicely. But still! They can get 36 veggie dogs or assign you a new task.

We get the Applegate from Trader Joe's. They're $2/pack cheaper there. (You got an expensive shaft assignment too!)

Lol, believe me I mentioned it to the teacher. I think she thought I was joking, so I guess ai wasn't very forceful. If the kid wasn't so excited about the whole thing we would just give it a miss...just a couple more months to get through!

And we may end up missing it anyway it baby makes his appearance! One can hope....

• Like 1

Seriously, I cannot imagine asking a vegetarian to purchase meat.  If you were Jewish would they ask you to bring bacon?  People are weird sometimes with the way they differentiate moral beliefs from religious beliefs, as if one is worth accommodating and the other is sort of a personal preference type of thing.

• Like 8

If you are morally opposed to meat, I would tell them no. Otherwise, I would buy cheap hot dogs. Don't waste your money and limited energy on people who will not appreciate it.

Although, being 36 weeks pregnant and on bed rest is plenty of reason to say sorry I cannot bring anything. If you want to be helpful, pick some amount of money you are willing to contribute and give it to the organizers telling them to buy something they need. And you being vegetarian is plenty of reason to say no to bringing meat.

Do you have a DH who can take care of the confrontation for you?

• Like 7

This is crazy! There is no way you should be asked to bring hot dogs. I think you should talk to the teacher again, explaining that you simply cannot bring meat-based hot dogs. Not only does your family not eat meat, it is an ethical issue for you (not just that you don't like meat). Let her know that you will happily bring veggie dogs but are worried some children will be disappointed. Hopefully she will switch you with someone else, but if she doesn't, bring veggie dogs!

• Like 1

Honestly I don't know many 4 year olds who could tell the difference between a cooked veggie dog and a cooked hot dog.  It is all a mush of salty chewy mushiness.

They might not know why it's different, but they will know it's not a hot dog...

That said, I wouldn't ever ask a Vegetarian to bring meat.  I don't even care why they are a vegetarian.  It's just rude (IMO).  I'm sorry!

• Like 3

I would ask the teacher's advice, or talk to some of the other moms.  Depending on the crowd, they may appreciate the upscale organic brands, or they may be much happier with something more downmarket.  I would not bring something out of the ordinary that the kids are not used to; it will be money and meat wasted.  I understand that you don't want to purchase something less than your standards allow, but at the same time to buy meat that the kids end up throwing away is not really ideal.  (I've been in this position; I know it's not easy.)  

You could offer to give some money to the teacher - $20-$30 - to cover the hot dogs (which may also give her a heads up that next time around she should spread the cost of the dogs over several families).  Explain that you are vegetarian and very pregnant, and that they probably don't want you to be choosing the meat as you are clueless. Or perhaps one of the other moms would be willing to pick up the dogs for you.  Do your best to get out of this obligation (but of course, bring a few veggie dogs for your child and anyone else who may want to try one.)

• Like 2

You could offer to give some money to the teacher - $20-$30 - to cover the hot dogs (which may also give her a heads up that next time around she should spread the cost of the dogs over several families).  Explain that you are vegetarian and very pregnant, and that they probably don't want you to be choosing the meat as you are clueless. Or perhaps one of the other moms would be willing to pick up the dogs for you.  Do your best to get out of this obligation (but of course, bring a few veggie dogs for your child and anyone else who may want to try one.)

This.  

Who asks a vegetarian to bring meat to a party, much less hot dogs?!   :lol:

(said by the now semi-carnivorous former vegetarian, who didn't eat meat till almost 40 yrs old   :leaving: )

• Like 2

I would offer to give the teacher the money for the hot dogs.  let her know that for 1. you are a vegetarian 2. you may not make it to the party 3. you aren't certain what to buy.  Ask how much money she would like to cover the cost and then add a couple of dollars for tax/inconvenience. 

I find it odd that they are asking one family to buy all the hot dogs.  If every family buys enough food for the entire class to have a serving of that one item....that is a huge amount of food. 

• Like 3

I would ask the teacher's advice, or talk to some of the other moms. Depending on the crowd, they may appreciate the upscale organic brands, or they may be much happier with something more downmarket. I would not bring something out of the ordinary that the kids are not used to; it will be money and meat wasted. I understand that you don't want to purchase something less than your standards allow, but at the same time to buy meat that the kids end up throwing away is not really ideal. (I've been in this position; I know it's not easy.)

You could offer to give some money to the teacher - $20-$30 - to cover the hot dogs (which may also give her a heads up that next time around she should spread the cost of the dogs over several families). Explain that you are vegetarian and very pregnant, and that they probably don't want you to be choosing the meat as you are clueless. Or perhaps one of the other moms would be willing to pick up the dogs for you. Do your best to get out of this obligation (but of course, bring a few veggie dogs for your child and anyone else who may want to try one.)

Thanks everyone! After I thought about it I realized I really just don't want to deal with it:)

I sent an email just reiterating Tap's points below...I do think it is more than reasonable to offer money and decline at this point. And I would hate to buy something that none of the kids will eat, then have a herd of hungry 3, 4, and 5 year olds. It really will be surprising if we make it at all...if baby doesn't come, if I am not too miserable...and the fact that it is planned for a remote part of the park I am not sure how my wheelchair will handle:(

Geez, it really is a disaster all around isn't it😊

The more I think about it the more I think Daddy might be fielding the event!

• Like 3

Just get 60 of whatever is in the grocery store. Go for the all beef or kosher varieties if you must. Keep in mind that people who eat hot dogs in public DO NOT CARE. If they're vegetarian, picky, or have and hot dog specific issues they are going to take a pass on the communal hot dogs. Here is an instance where taking a stand or trying to influence anyone's else's eating habits is a complete waste of your time and effort. Don't overthink it. Just bring the d@mned hot dogs. You don't have to eat them or cook them. The organizer is just trying to delegate and tick off boxes. Your eating habits don't interest her.

You CAN take a stand if you feel it's important, but your name will be added to that list of annoying people along with the lady who is ethically opposed to paper napkins and the guy who is morally opposed to soda. Yes, they have a point, but their views don't help the event run smoothly unless they're willing to run it. Taking the moral high ground food-wise could land you with the chore of prepping a fruit or veggie platter. You're pregnant! Take the EASY route and hope someone else brings the celery sticks.

P.S. Whoever said a 4-year-old can't distinguish between a meat hot dog and a veggie one is NUTS.

• Like 2

Just get 60 of whatever is in the grocery store. Go for the all beef or kosher varieties if you must. Keep in mind that people who eat hot dogs in public DO NOT CARE. If they're vegetarian, picky, or have and hot dog specific issues they are going to take a pass on the communal hot dogs. Here is an instance where taking a stand or trying to influence anyone's else's eating habits is a complete waste of your time and effort. Don't overthink it. Just bring the d@mned hot dogs. You don't have to eat them or cook them. The organizer is just trying to delegate and tick off boxes. Your eating habits don't interest her.

You CAN take a stand if you feel it's important, but your name will be added to that list of annoying people along with the lady who is ethically opposed to paper napkins and the guy who is morally opposed to soda. Yes, they have a point, but their views don't help the event run smoothly unless they're willing to run it. Taking the moral high ground food-wise could land you with the chore of prepping a fruit or veggie platter. You're pregnant! Take the EASY route and hope someone else brings the celery sticks.

P.S. Whoever said a 4-year-old can't distinguish between a meat hot dog and a veggie one is NUTS.

Lol, yeah, not interested in 'taking a stand' at all at here😄

Just trying to get through the day here!

And honestly, nobody in my family is interested in judging or policing what anyone else eats! Even my dd5 knows that she is 'a child of vegetarian parents' rather than a vegetarian, and that it will always be her choice. And she deserves to make or explore those choices without her parents judging or reacting:)

Lol, yeah, not interested in 'taking a stand' at all at here😄

Just trying to get through the day here!

And honestly, nobody in my family is interested in judging or policing what anyone else eats! Even my dd5 knows that she is 'a child of vegetarian parents' rather than a vegetarian, and that it will always be her choice. And she deserves to make or explore those choices without her parents judging or reacting:)

You'd wear yourself out trying to do that in Texas. Still, if your daughter tries a cheap pork hot dog and likes it I think it's OK to judge a little bit :-)

• Like 1

I wrote that they can't tell high from medium quality. That said, where I live, you'd have vegetarian versions at every cookout and plenty of children will eat the vegetarian version and enjoy it and it will be their favorite. I know this because I see it.

However, I am aware of communities in which "normal hot dogs" play a much larger role, and I understand that there, kids would probably not accept a veggie dog. I still don't think they'd care if it was Oscar Meyer or Organic Valley, though.

• Like 1

Here is an instance where taking a stand or trying to influence anyone's else's eating habits is a complete waste of your time and effort. Don't overthink it. Just bring the d@mned hot dogs. You don't have to eat them or cook them. The organizer is just trying to delegate and tick off boxes. Your eating habits don't interest her.

Wow, that's rude.

Who's talking about taking a stand or wanting to influence someone else's choices? I wouldn't buy the hot dogs and it has nothing to do with me judging another person's eating habits. This isn't equivalent to paper napkins and soda. I wouldn't ask a muslim to brink a pork roast or a Jewish family to bring bacon. Don't want to deal with that? Don't organize an event.

Count me among those who finds the organizer rather tone deaf for asking the vegetarian to bring hot dogs?

• Like 2

60 hot dogs is a lot!  Yeah, I'd buy the cheap ones, and I love good quality hot dogs.  

Unless you drop DD at the school in a Rolls (not that it should matter if you did) they couldn't be expecting you to pay serious money when others are bringing 3 bags of chips.  The fact that you said something and it was brushed off also leads to think they are expecting the cheap ones.