Menu

Looking for something fun to do in Ohio...

PeterPan

It cannot be that we've exhausted everything fun to do in Ohio, but it's starting to feel that way!  Any suggestions?  Some relatives are coming in April and we want a fun day outing.  Pretty much anywhere in the state will do.  Out of the state won't do.  Something for ages 16-68, basically.  (ignore the 6 year old in the sig)  Cultural, moderately active, historical is fine, beautiful is fine.  We've already done the Zoo, Ohio Caverns, Amish country, Hocking Hills.  Dd is sticking up her nose at the butterflies at Krohn's Conservatory in Cincy, though that would be the right idea.  They liked the art museum in Cincy and we've done the Holocaust Center there.  

Does Columbus have anything fab to do?  I don't know why but I always think of it as uninteresting.  Maybe there are pockets of something nifty?  Can't do boat tours on the Great Lakes because those won't be open yet. 

We've done Mohican, and that's too much hiking anyway.  Too many knees surgeries in the group for that.

What say you?  What are we looking for?  Hmm, maybe some kind of play?  There used to be a place you could go to for dinner and a play, but I think it closed..  

Newport Aquarium. Technically it's in Kentucky, but barely. When you get the opportunity check out the wilds. It's too far for this visit, but it's cool.

Ooo, good idea!  I've done the Newport with ds, but dd has never been!  Yup, we've done the Wilds.  I'm not sure they're open in April either, need to check the schedule.

There's Sunwatch Indian village just south of Dayton. Cultural, historical, only a bit of walking.

I think I've seen this mentioned in a book or something.  Is it good?  How much time would you spend there?  And aren't there a couple castles near there or something?

Ditto to The Wilds. We got lucky when we went and saw so many great animals up close.

I really enjoyed the factory tour at the Great American Whistle factory outside Columbus. 

Ok, this is pathetic, but we've never done the whistle factory tour.  Would it appeal to older kids and adults?  A school near us goes on tours with their younger grades, so I wasn't sure.

I'll mention it to her and see! I think she went with friends, but there's also the Neil Armstrong museum, which we haven't done.

There is a lot to see there. We would have liced to spend longer than we had there so maybe evrn if she went with friends there might be a part she missed.

• Like 1

I think I've seen this mentioned in a book or something.  Is it good?  How much time would you spend there?  And aren't there a couple castles near there or something?

It's interesting. We only spent a few hours there, it's just a park with a reconstructed village and some info. Maybe there's special events sometimes.

I don't know about castles... It was a day trip from Cleveland with my foreign in-laws who wanted something "native" and it was the wrong time of the year for a pow-wow.

And it was nearly 10 years ago now...Geez louise, time flies when you get old. Double check about it, who knows what might have changed since then.

• Like 1

COSI in Columbus.  We took the kids last year and they are begging to go back when we visit OH next.

ETA:  We also went into German Village and ate an early lunch at Schmidt's.  GV has a very old town feel.

ETA #2: COSI oftentimes has exhibits that I would think appeal to the older crowd, not little kids.  

• Like 4

Loveland Castle! Why did I not remember that one? It was fun exploring. I had littles who just wanted to run and look but they have information about the man who built the castle and some videos.

Yup, I took dd by there a while back but it was on a day they were closed.  She was flabbergasted just seeing the outside.  Is the inside equally interesting?  

Stan Hywet is really nice.

I used to like Hale Farm and Village, but it's been a looooong time since I was there.

These are in NE Ohio.

Wow, hadn't seen the Stan Hywet!!!!  That's perfect for this group!!  You win the prize!!   :thumbup: 

I just recently saw this on facebook:

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/oh-day-trips/

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Columbus is awesome! Seriously, it's the hidden gem of the Midwest.

What to do: COSI usually has great exhibits and an IMAX theater, plus an awesome view of the river and downtown. The Columbus Zoo is phenomenal (nothing like the Cleveland zoo, cute as it is) and there is an adjacent water park now. The art museum is top notch, as is the Wexner Center. See what's going on in the history museum and if pioneer village is open.

Neighborhoods to explore: the Short North, the Arena District (cheap tickets to the Blue Jackets are usually available, if you are there during regular season), OSU, German Village, Clintonville.

Food to enjoy: too much to get into. Jeni's for ice cream. Schmidts if you want brats. Unlimited hipster breweries and funky places, especially in the above mentioned neighborhoods.

Shopping? Try Easton Town Center. It's massive and they have *everything*. For funkier shopping, head to Clintonvile and the Short North.

Have fun! :)

• Like 2

Columbus is awesome! Seriously, it's the hidden gem of the Midwest.

What to do: COSI usually has great exhibits and an IMAX theater, plus an awesome view of the river and downtown. The Columbus Zoo is phenomenal (nothing like the Cleveland zoo, cute as it is) and there is an adjacent water park now. The art museum is top notch, as is the Wexner Center. See what's going on in the history museum and if pioneer village is open.

Neighborhoods to explore: the Short North, the Arena District (cheap tickets to the Blue Jackets are usually available, if you are there during regular season), OSU, German Village, Clintonville.

Food to enjoy: too much to get into. Jeni's for ice cream. Schmidts if you want brats. Unlimited hipster breweries and funky places, especially in the above mentioned neighborhoods.

Shopping? Try Easton Town Center. It's massive and they have *everything*. For funkier shopping, head to Clintonvile and the Short North.

Have fun! :)

Ooo, Jeni's sounds fun!  We've done Knights and Graeters but not Jeni's.  Yeah, we've done the zoo a ton.  Haven't done COSI in a while but I don't think it is turning the head for a 16 yo.  Done Easton and Polaris plenty.  I took them to the art museum years ago when there was a Chihuli exhibit.  Haven't done the history center, but frankly I get tired of history.  (They're all history people and I'm NOT.)  

I'll look and see if anything at COSI right now is intriguing.  We did the Cleveland zoo a while back too.  I can't recall if we've done the Cincy zoo.  It was on our someday list.  

I've never actually figured out where people are going when they say they walked the river in Columbus...

What's at the Wexner Center?  We've never done the Thurber house, but that doesn't really fit for this.  

That Stan Hywet house is probably going to be the winner, so more just I'll compile ideas for another time.  Somehow I had missed it and the house just fits the group perfectly.  Then we can do things in the Akron/Cleveland area, which isn't hard at all.  So if anybody has recommends near there, like restaurants not to miss or something, I'm all ears.  I know when we ate in Cleveland before we did their Little Italy district and found first an AMAZING italian restaurant and then a place making fresh doughnuts, yum...

• Like 1

Did you go to Lehman's (non-electric store)?  If you haven't been to downtown Cleveland lately... our theatre district ( Playhouse Square ) is the second largest performing arts center in the country after NYC.  :)  See a show, yes, but the tours are fascinating, too!  Cleveland Museum of Art?  It's amazing.  Check out Tremont area and Coventry...little shops and galleries galore.

I live near Cleveland, but I sure do love Columbus, too.  :)

• Like 3

With regards to Columbus, have you been to a State House tour? The Supreme Court building? Columbus Commons always has something going on. Rent bikes and go for a ride down the Scioto Mile. Catch a show or production at the Ohio Theatre. Go to the magnificent downtown library and stroll through the topiary gardens in Deaf Park. So much to do in Downtown Columbus!! Oh, and don't forget about the art museum and Franklin Park Conservatory.

• Like 2

Well, I'd have to think about this....I've been south for too long.  

There is the Ohio Historical Society in dt Cols. 

Wright Bros. museum near Dayton

Brooks manufacturing in Nelsonville (need shoes/boots?)

Yea, it's been a long time....

• Like 1

Well, I'd have to think about this....I've been south for too long.  

There is the Ohio Historical Society in dt Cols. 

Wright Bros. museum near Dayton

Brooks manufacturing in Nelsonville (need shoes/boots?)

Yea, it's been a long time....

Brooks shoes, at a discount?  How did I not know about this?

OP Have you been to Jungle Jim's in Cincy?  I've never been there but I hear it's awesome.  I like the zoo.  Cincinnati Museum Center is fun and has a variety for the different ages. 

• Like 1

Well I think we have a plan!  She decided there would be nothing more delightful for her 16th b-day than to visit a bunch of antique shops.   :D  I found three that are all pretty close and that hit the niftier sections of Columbus (German Village, etc.), and can throw in Jeni's that you recommended, Schmidt's or Thurman Cafe, the Park of Roses (which may be in bloom then?), and bam a nice day on the cheap!

Eclectiques

Grandview Mercantile

Greater Columbus Antiques Mall

And the people who get sick of antiques can go to the Franklin Park Conservatory and look at butterflies.

• Like 1

Well I think we have a plan! She decided there would be nothing more delightful for her 16th b-day than to visit a bunch of antique shops. :D I found three that are all pretty close and that hit the niftier sections of Columbus (German Village, etc.), and can throw in Jeni's that you recommended, Schmidt's or Thurman Cafe, the Park of Roses (which may be in bloom then?), and bam a nice day on the cheap!

Eclectiques

Grandview Mercantile

Greater Columbus Antiques Mall

And the people who get sick of antiques can go to the Franklin Park Conservatory and look at butterflies.

That sounds like a great plan! I'd forgotten about the conservatory (so beautiful) and Park of Roses. They have a huge daffodil garden which should be in bloom, and the magnolia trees...We used to spend a lot of time in both places when DS was small.

If your daughter likes antiques she might find enjoy some of the vintage shops in Clintonville (you'll be there anyway for PoR). I haven't lived there for several years so I'm not sure about specific shops, but they'll all be on High St.

I'm getting (adopted) homesick! :)

• Like 1

That sounds like a great plan! I'd forgotten about the conservatory (so beautiful) and Park of Roses. They have a huge daffodil garden which should be in bloom, and the magnolia trees...We used to spend a lot of time in both places when DS was small.

If your daughter likes antiques she might find enjoy some of the vintage shops in Clintonville (you'll be there anyway for PoR). I haven't lived there for several years so I'm not sure about specific shops, but they'll all be on High St.

I'm getting (adopted) homesick! :)

Oh good, thank you for confirming that!!  I've never been to the PoR, so I didn't know for sure if they'd have things in bloom then.  Fabulous!