Menu

When your head is so stuffed up that you can't sleep at night

Hyacinth

What do you do?!

Last night was my third restless night since this flu virus/head cold/whatever hit me. I can function somewhat during the day but I simply cannot fall asleep/stay asleep at night. Every time I recline or lay my head down, I get all stuffed up and can't breathe and start coughing . . . it's not pretty. I tried keeping my head elevated, but I can't get comfortable. I'm convinced that a good night's sleep is exactly what I need to kick this thing, but it's elusive.

Any suggestions?

When I can't sleep due to inability to breathe properly, I use decongestant spray. Wait five minutes after using it then blow your nose ... it works wonders! I also pop an antihistamine or two, which helps with the runny bit and helps me sleep too. You shouldn't use the spray too often or for too long because it can be addictive, but it's the only thing that helps me when I'm too congested to sleep.

• Like 2

I sleep sitting up against whatever I can find (a bed against a wall, or the back of a tall couch).  I sit sideways to the wall/couch, put pillows up on my shoulder, and basically "lean" sideways.  It requires some slightly convoluted tucking up little pillows so that I can be supported and relax, but it's great once I get there.  Also, a couple of Sudafed right before I go to bed, the real ones you have to get at the pharmacy, not the stuff that is sold right off the shelf.

• Like 1

Mostly I try to doze in a recliner and do a lot of self talk (i.e., a few nights of little/no sleep isn't the end of the world, I'll feel better eventually and catch up on my sleep, etc.).  If I can't sleep even sitting up in the recliner then I read a book or get on the computer.  I feel less tired during the day if I do that than if I keep trying to sleep w/o any luck.  Trying to make yourself go to sleep is exhausting.

• Like 2

Ibuprofen helps with the swelling of the nasal tissue.

I use that and flonase, and Vicks. And prop up. And nap.

I can't use too much decongestant or Dayquil because I had a very scary reaction--I don't know which ingredient it was that whacked me out--I thought I would die from anxiety. Not going there again.

• Like 1

A prescription nasal steroid spray--mine is called flunisolide. It opens up my airways (takes about 20 min to fully work). I note that one just came off prescription only and I've seen it at Costco--nasarel? I would try that if I didn't have the one I have.

• Like 1

Mostly I try to doze in a recliner and do a lot of self talk (i.e., a few nights of little/no sleep isn't the end of the world, I'll feel better eventually and catch up on my sleep, etc.).  If I can't sleep even sitting up in the recliner then I read a book or get on the computer.  I feel less tired during the day if I do that than if I keep trying to sleep w/o any luck.  Trying to make yourself go to sleep is exhausting.

This is me. If it isn't the coughing when I lay down, it's the stuffiness. If it isn't the stuffiness, it's the kids waking me up because they are sick too. I just keep telling myself this will be over soon. One of these days I will be right, right?

• Like 2

For congestion, I use the real Sudafed (or its generic).  The stuff you have to sign for when you get it from the pharmacist.  It's not prescription, but it's controlled because some idiots use it to make meth.  But, it's not meth, and it works better than anything for our stuffy noses/sinuses.

You can take a Benedryl (or generic Diphenhydramine HCl).  It will stop runny nose/sneezing, and it'll help you sleep.  It's the same medicine that is marketed under different names as a sleep aid (Z-Quil, Tylenol PM, Exedrin PM, etc).  

If I have other symptoms at the same time as nasal problems, I use Nyquil.  Again, the real liquid stuff, with alcohol.  No gel caps for me.  I like to feel that buzz go through my body as I doze off to sleep.  (It's the only alcohol I consume, so it's okay).  :)  

When you cold settles in your chest in about a week, get yourself some Mucinex DM (assuming you're not allergic to it).  That stuff is amazing for coughs.

• Like 1

I also find it helpful to put on some easy TV to listen to, so that I don't just whirl my thoughts thinking about how miserable I am.  I like something light, without stuff that's going to blow up.  I was sick back in Dec and spent a week doing almost nothing by watching The West Wing.

• Like 1