Menu

How to wake up early without waking everyone else up?

Carolinagirl1

So I need to wake up early to get bookkeeping done for our business because I'm too exhausted to do it at night. The problem is that my kids usually end up in bed with me and I don't want to wake them up with an alarm at, say, 5am. Any ideas about how I can do it without waking them up? Maybe a good vibrating alarm watch (suggestions?) or something else?

I use a Jawbone UP24, I think it's similar to a fitbit.  You can set the alarm to go off either at an exact time, or give it a range and it will wake you at the best time during your sleep cycle.  Love it, and it doesn't wake anyone else.

Here it is:  https://jawbone.com/store/buy/up24 It's not beautiful, but I find the sleep tracker is very helpful in keeping me aware of the amount of sleep I get.  (Steps, too, of course!)

• Like 1

Do you know that it will wake them up?

When my kids were little enough to be in bed with us, they slept right through our alarms.

Yes, have you actually tried the alarm? I get up at 5 three days a week to exercise, and we often have our 4 or 6 year old or both in our bed at that hour and they very rarely wake up when I do.

do away with bedtime.  Seriously, my kids stay up quite late now, which means they sleep late too, which is good because I go to work rather early and on my split shift days they stay asleep through my am shift, and on my long work days they sleep through half my full day.  I sleep in the livingroom, my alarm clock is in there set to that loud annoying buzzer, 2 of my kids have been sleeping in there with me due to nightmares and one sleeps with his bedroom door open just feet from my alarm.  That thing will be buzzing waking me up, and they will sleep through it and through me turning on lights and getting ready for my work day.  SOmetimes I hit snooze several times and they just keep on sleeping. They now sleep until about 10am-ish, with dd7 getting up first since she is asleep first before 10pm.

The first couple of times, the kids woke up.  Not by the alarm but by my not being in the bed.  Once they knew where I was and why, they would just go back to sleep if I wasn't in the bed (as long as I told them the night before I was getting up early to do XYZ.)