Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!  

I finally slept through the magic 3 o’clock hour last night!  Probably because I put on a little fan in my room for white noise.  It seems unusually quiet here at night, but that may be because for the most part they don’t have air conditioning in England.  There are some birds who start their morning around 4:30am.  

Last night I ate pizza topped with potatoes and stilton cheese!  Quite tasty, actually.

I learned the distinctions between pudding/dessert and cake.  But I think I need a refresher.  Also mince (ground) meat and mince meat pie.

Today we go to a church service and then my college roommate and family will take me gallivanting about town a little more.

Coffee!

(&/or tea)

Did I get a Booyah?!?  

It’s a Jolly Olde English Coffee/Tea Booyah!

COFFEE!!

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me).  

KrissiK Documentation of the ITT Flag 5/1/2017

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Spirea said:

I'm itching all over. Tops of feet, backs of hands, hips, backs of legs. Been a long time since I've had a hives outbreak. I'm blaming the probiotics. Took one last night and one this morning since my stomach was upset over my last week of antibiotics. Triple ugh. I took 2 benedryl, which means I'll be tired and grouchy on our Saturday. I have no where else to lodge my complaints.

I did photograph a pile of boys clothes to give craigslist one try with those. Don't want to ebay. 

Are you still on the antibiotics?  I would blame the antibiotics and not the probiotics. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Are you still on the antibiotics?  I would blame the antibiotics and not the probiotics. 

No, I finished with them a couple days ago. I took one probiotic Friday night, then another Saturday morning. I was itchy during the night but didn't realize it was hives until later in the morning. I also had a couple blackberries Friday night and Sat morning. I haven't had blackberries in awhile either but seems unlikely to suddenly have an allergy. I've had the probiotic before also with no issues. The hives are so persistent, it's likely it is more a stress flare because of me being sick and having an infection. They won't completely clear on the med then come back with intense itching when med is wearing off. It is pretty solid hives from the back of my waist to my knees. The tops of my feet itch like crazy and the back of my hands and by my wrists and ankles. The back of my neck and base of my skull has some new itching and some under one arm and by one elbow. Predominate hip and thigh though. My torso is clear. Nothing on face or breathing issues. Just annoying. 

Somehow, I wasn't a tired grouch. I sorted and photographed the size 6 boys clothes. The 5s are sorted but not photographed. I got rid of a few big things, actually sold baby furniture on Craigslist today. I still have more to do. I'm frustrated because I had a garbage bag full of nice dress clothes and matching outfits for my boys but I could not find them today. It couldn't have been thrown out because it was a clear bag. I just can't find it.

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

Church and Iglesia! (Probably.)

I woke up with a headache this morning -- it's actually the first time that's happened in a little while.  I'm trying to knock it down with some caffeine.

We have some busy days this week getting three girls ready for camp and I have to finish dd17's transcript.  And getting the house back in shape.  I didn't feel well on Friday and Saturday and did nothing.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Green Bean said:

I would love to take your old art supplies off your hands for DD. PM me.

You wouldn't want these. LOL. They really were in bad shape. If they'd been Prismacolor or something good, I'd absolutely send them, but I don't like giving a young artist anything inferior to work with. Sure way to end in a frustrated artist. But I will keep you in mind as I go through my better stuff and see what I want to get rid of or use!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

So...art teacher gave me some books. I went through them last night and decided I really didn't think I would use them (art instruction books from the 1950s and I don't care for that style of illustration) and out of morbid curiosity, I decided to see if they were worth anything in terms of a collectors item.

Well, they were.

So now I'm figuring out how to get old house/smoke smell out of the pages and find a vintage book dealer to give us a fair price on the things. Yes, contacted my art teacher and let her know what I'd found out about them.

Going to try the de-smoke experiment on the other books she gave me first to make sure it won't cause any harm.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!~D

Sunday!!

Church!!

Slept horribly last night. I don’t sleep well in the summer anyhow, but I can’t seem to regulate my internal temperature, then bad dreams, can’t breathe due to congestion….basically, sleeping sucks.

#isaidsucks

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

My middle daughter loves to sketch. She is quite talented, actually. Right now she is obsessed with eyes. She draws eyes everywhere. But I decided that I was going to make sure she has good quality pencils and sketch pads.  Sometimes she grabs a no, 2 pencil from my purse and sketches on the bulletin at church, but she has a nice pad that she keeps her work in.  It amazes me to no end that she is able to see things and then make her hand reproduce those things on paper so effortlessly. It is so foreign to the way I operate. Her brain and her hands are a wonder.

• Like 5

Critter, what kind of formal art training have you had?? DD is largely self-taught, though she watches a ton of you-tube videos on sketching. etc. 

i would like to get her some formal training, but she doesn’t seem interested and I wonder if I should just let her keep doing what she’s doing. She’s constantly improving and she seems to be happy.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  
  Last night I ate pizza topped with potatoes and stilton cheese!  Quite tasty, actually.

I learned the distinctions between pudding/dessert and cake.  But I think I need a refresher.  Also mince (ground) meat and mince meat pie.!️️️️

See, this is what would make me nervous about going to England. The food. I could probably manage the tea and crumpets, but the regular food….it just all sounds so weird. Kidney pie?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Critter, what kind of formal art training have you had?? DD is largely self-taught, though she watches a ton of you-tube videos on sketching. etc. 

i would like to get her some formal training, but she doesn’t seem interested and I wonder if I should just let her keep doing what she’s doing. She’s constantly improving and she seems to be happy.

None. I started out drawing and didn't get to take classes. 

But you can absolutely get some wonderful stuff with you-tube now and part of my "art class" study now includes spending a morning watching and practicing with videos whenever I can. My art teacher is a person I met a few years ago at writing group. I needed art for the boys, so I started taking lessons with them, and then we just sort of stayed together working and practicing. I'm going to miss her a lot! Probably cry this afternoon because there will be no more Sunday afternoon art classes anymore.

• Like 4

What I liked best about having some art community was having critique and evaluation. That isn't always the best thing for young artists though, who need to have time to find their style and get better with practice. And you can always end up with bad critique--like the time someone told me all my art work was really bad and I shouldn't bother with it. 

I didn't listen, naturally, because stubborn.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking this morning about Hunter's thread and The Artist's Way (which all creative types really should read periodically, because it's such an affirming book and helpful in getting past blocks) and a line from CS Lewis returned to me about how we as educators are supposed to be "pruning jungles" when in fact, he'd noticed, that instead of doing that, educators should be "irrigating deserts". 

There is no end to the amount of times a person must endure critique, and most of the time, the critique is taken as a kind of truth without ever evaluating the source or the intent. So when I think about teaching young writers and artists, the thing that comes to my head the most often is how easy it is to crush them with critique when all they really needed was affirmation of their talent, encouragement to keep working, keep growing, and above all, enthusiasm for their work and praise for how they are growing and accomplishing their goals. 

Good critique does that. It's never about showing a person what they got wrong, but applauding what they got right and making them excited to keep going and improve. Took me a while to learn that, but it's such a valuable lesson. Good critique from a reputable source makes you excited to sit down and keep working, it affirms and never puts down, and it is the first to jump up and down and clap when you succeed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

What I liked best about having some art community was having critique and evaluation. That isn't always the best thing for young artists though, who need to have time to find their style and get better with practice. And you can always end up with bad critique--like the time someone told me all my art work was really bad and I shouldn't bother with it. 

I didn't listen, naturally, because stubborn.

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I was thinking this morning about Hunter's thread and The Artist's Way (which all creative types really should read periodically, because it's such an affirming book and helpful in getting past blocks) and a line from CS Lewis returned to me about how we as educators are supposed to be "pruning jungles" when in fact, he'd noticed, that instead of doing that, educators should be "irrigating deserts". 

There is no end to the amount of times a person must endure critique, and most of the time, the critique is taken as a kind of truth without ever evaluating the source or the intent. So when I think about teaching young writers and artists, the thing that comes to my head the most often is how easy it is to crush them with critique when all they really needed was affirmation of their talent, encouragement to keep working, keep growing, and above all, enthusiasm for their work and praise for how they are growing and accomplishing their goals. 

Good critique does that. It's never about showing a person what they got wrong, but applauding what they got right and making them excited to keep going and improve. Took me a while to learn that, but it's such a valuable lesson. Good critique from a reputable source makes you excited to sit down and keep working, it affirms and never puts down, and it is the first to jump up and down and clap when you succeed.

That all sounds really good.  I think I will just let her be, then and keep getting her more supplies. She will likely find her own community and her own way, I think. At this point, she’s very self-motivated. She spends hours on the stair landing either reading or sketching. I’m not going to worry about it.

And she’s a writer, now that I think about it. She’s working on a novel. Very much like you, Critter. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm still itchy. Went to Sunday school and church and my 18 month old was difficult, wouldn't sit and was loud in both services so I sat out most of the time. About to start with more sorting of stuff. Tomorrow morning, I have an early Dr appt and will drop off donations afterward. Costco did a recall on a dresser I bought for my boys room so I'm shopping for replacement furniture.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I didn't go to church and without me the baby was good because he didn't want to go to nursery without me now that we have so many kids. This is only the second time he's staying in church and both times I wasn't there.

#unsocializedhomeschooler

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

You wouldn't want these. LOL. They really were in bad shape. If they'd been Prismacolor or something good, I'd absolutely send them, but I don't like giving a young artist anything inferior to work with. Sure way to end in a frustrated artist. But I will keep you in mind as I go through my better stuff and see what I want to get rid of or use!

Thank you!

On 6/11/2022 at 9:23 PM, Slache said:

It sank.

AGAIN?!

EdPo: I am not satisfied with my speculative history choice. What y'all think of taking the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figure mega pack, as in ALL the figures, and using the placement guide to make a (notice I said 'A') timeline book for history? I've thought about doing it for years now but didn't have the courage to actually do it. Dumb idea? Good way to cover history? I wonder how long it would take us.

I have already looked into a bunch of options by looking through Cathy Duffy's Reviews. Most things do not span the levels we need, require a plethora of books, or have a religious perspective too pervasive for us. 

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2

Signed my application for "Colonial Dames," which is for women "who are lineal descendants of an ancestor who lived and served prior to 1701 in one of the Original Colonies in the geographical area of the present United State of America." Turns out I have an ancestor who served in the Virginia House of Burgesses. 😮  Also, my second "supplemental" for DAR, making *three* Patriots I have proven, is just about ready. And my first DAR Patriot's mother was born in Williamsburg, and is buried in the graveyard at Bruton Parrish Church. I'm tickled pink about this, y'all. IDK why, but I am. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Green Bean said:

Ellie- That is so cool!

I know!

A friend is descended from William Bradford, and she's kinda proud of that. Nothing wrong with being proud of it, but it's conceivable that *my* ancestors met *hers* at shore when their boat landed, lol.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Signed my application for "Colonial Dames," which is for women "who are lineal descendants of an ancestor who lived and served prior to 1701 in one of the Original Colonies in the geographical area of the present United State of America." Turns out I have an ancestor who served in the Virginia House of Burgesses. 😮  Also, my second "supplemental" for DAR, making *three* Patriots I have proven, is just about ready. And my first DAR Patriot's mother was born in Williamsburg, and is buried in the graveyard at Bruton Parrish Church. I'm tickled pink about this, y'all. IDK why, but I am. 🙂

That is really cool, Ellie. I would be tickled pink if that were me, too. My ancestors were all a bunch of German peasants who lived in the Ukraine.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

That is really cool, Ellie. I would be tickled pink if that were me, too. My ancestors were all a bunch of German peasants who lived in the Ukraine.

As far as I can tell, mine were English, mostly, with some Irish. But it was so long ago that we have no family stories or traditions, you know?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KrissiK said:

See, this is what would make me nervous about going to England. The food. I could probably manage the tea and crumpets, but the regular food….it just all sounds so weird. Kidney pie?? 

😁 Fortunately they always have “normal” food available - pastas and burgers and regular pepperoni pizza.  I just order the English stuff - I’m a food adventurer! 

• Like 3

Good morning! It’s The Queen’s favorite day!

We are on our way to see the Abbey of John Bunyan.

Apparently there is a debate as to whether you put the clotted cream on your scone first and jam on top of that, or the other way around.  

I had the most delicious parsnip with my beef and Yorkshire pudding for lunch yesterday.

Coffee!

(or tea)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I saw that!  Right ho, now go seep! 

I think I'm going to take a(nother) shower to see if that will help.  I have to get up in three hours... 😞

Hope you have a great day!  England is on my bucket list...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Thank you!

AGAIN?!

EdPo: I am not satisfied with my speculative history choice. What y'all think of taking the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figure mega pack, as in ALL the figures, and using the placement guide to make a (notice I said 'A') timeline book for history? I've thought about doing it for years now but didn't have the courage to actually do it. Dumb idea? Good way to cover history? I wonder how long it would take us.

I have already looked into a bunch of options by looking through Cathy Duffy's Reviews. Most things do not span the levels we need, require a plethora of books, or have a religious perspective too pervasive for us. 

Do the thing.

• Like 2

Morning, Happy Monday.  Last week of classes for the year!  

Dd and I worked out this morning.  We're going to try and go every weekday except Wednesdays (a day to sleep-in).    My weight is inching up and it's not supposed to do that in the summer.  

My good intentions of completing the laundry, including putting it away, yesterday didn't happen.  Two loads smelled musty so I had to run them twice with bleach the second time.   One of our valves is blocked and one is stuck open so I was only able to do cold water loads, but we switched around the pipes so I could do hot water for those two loads as well as the bleach.  It helped a lot.   But by the time all that was done, I was too tired to sort, fold and put away.   

I did spend a few hours upstairs putting things away at the science center.  Still not done, still haven't done my desk area but you can walk around up there now.  You couldn't for a while because of the pile of new stuff from my garage that wound up there.  

Now I'll have all summer to work on finally getting that completely organized, plus get ALL my classes completely planned for next year, plus have a great homeschooling summer so we hit the ground running in September.  All that around summer camps, 4-H Fair, and lots of time swimming and kayaking.  No problem.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning! It’s The Queen’s favorite day!

We are on our way to see the Abbey of John Bunyan.

Apparently there is a debate as to whether you put the clotted cream on your scone first and jam on top of that, or the other way around.  

I had the most delicious parsnip with my beef and Yorkshire pudding for lunch yesterday.

Coffee!

(or tea)

I would put the jam on top of the clotted cream.  Just because jam always goes last.

I have never had a parsnip before in my life. Susan is a food adventurer. Me, not so much. If I ever traveled with Susan, she would be the one ordering the local food and I would be the one always asking for “just one bite.”🤣😘

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Monday goals for my three pronged trifecta of camp, yard work and decluttering are:

1. Camp-  spend 30 minutes on administrative tasks. Also write broad lesson outline for my 8 lessons. 

2.  Put the utility access boxes in their correct places in the tree circle that I am working on. I can’t allow utility shut offs to get buried in bark. I don’t have more planned because it’s raining and is supposed to rain all day. 

3.  Decluttering:  Do a load of bunny laundry. This isn’t strictly decluttering but I am including it because I am working in the bunny room right now. Clean under the desk. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I would put the jam on top of the clotted cream.  Just because jam always goes last.

I have never had a parsnip before in my life. Susan is a food adventurer. Me, not so much. If I ever traveled with Susan, she would be the one ordering the local food and I would be the one always asking for “just one bite.”🤣😘

I think that’s an excellent way to go about it.  Also, I agree with you on the jam last stance.  

• Like 3