Menu

Ignore this thread!

I plan to use Our 50 States, Uncle Sam, America the Beautiful, and World Geography. I think they will all be disjointed, but I don't care. Most don't matter except for America the Beautiful and it looks to have stunning and unique content, so I'll suffer.

Disjointed booya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 6

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

18 minutes ago, Slache said:

I won't use MOH because I met the woman in real life and she said that while the Catholic view of history is more accurate she had to write it from the protestant perspective or it wouldn't sell and I was horrified that she wrote what she considers lies as a history curriculum and I have to question the wisdom of sharing this with a COMPLETE stranger, and that was that.

I don't even have words for this. Wow. Thanks for telling me. I liked the samples because rather than omitting things that are controversial (dinosaurs), they are actually included. Some of the information was just truly fascinating to me. Oldest didn't like that most of the pictures are of artwork instead of photographs. He loves the literature books in Notgrass plus all the extra ones I research and add in.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Slache said:

I plan to use Our 50 States, Uncle Sam, America the Beautiful, and World Geography. I think they will all be disjointed, but I don't care. Most don't matter except for America the Beautiful and it looks to have stunning and unique content, so I'll suffer.

Disjointed booya!

What's your plan for highschool?

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

What's your plan for highschool?

The Notgrass books are mostly read alouds and the littlest have to do the work. Sixth on up they are subjected to the read alouds, but have independent work.

6th: Uncle Sam
7th: History of the Ancient World
8th: History of the Medieval World
9th: History of the Renaissance World
10th: History of the Modern World I
11th: History of the Modern World II
12th: Government and Economics TBD

7th-11th is by Susan Wise Bauer and will also have Dave Raymond's History and biographies throughout. This will take 30-45 minutes of work 3 days a week and 10 minutes of reading daily. 12th will be pretty basic and I will draw from Ambleside Online year 12.

I feel like this covers A LOT and is very deep, but not too time consuming.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I thought SWB only had SOTW (elementary)? Huh, guess it's time to take another look...

History of the _________ World is a high school curriculum and the last two volumes aren't out yet. There is a text, teacher notes and map supplement.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Slache said:

History of the _________ World is a high school curriculum and the last two volumes aren't out yet. There is a text, teacher notes and map supplement.

I did not know that, either. Better take a look....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think I'll move to SOTW when my eldest is in first. I just don't think they could do it now. As disjointed and random Star Spangled Story is to me, my eldest actually gets a lot out of it. I just have to remind myself he is 5 and he doesn't need to know all the nuances and make all the connections in American History. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I think I'll move to SOTW when my eldest is in first. I just don't think they could do it now. As disjointed and random Star Spangled Story is to me, my eldest actually gets a lot out of it. I just have to remind myself he is 5 and he doesn't need to know all the nuances and make all the connections in American History. 

After doing SOTW I vote to wait for 2nd.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slache said:

The Notgrass books are mostly read alouds and the littlest have to do the work. Sixth on up they are subjected to the read alouds, but have independent work.

6th: Uncle Sam
7th: History of the Ancient World
8th: History of the Medieval World
9th: History of the Renaissance World
10th: History of the Modern World I
11th: History of the Modern World II
12th: Government and Economics TBD

7th-11th is by Susan Wise Bauer and will also have Dave Raymond's History and biographies throughout. This will take 30-45 minutes of work 3 days a week and 10 minutes of reading daily. 12th will be pretty basic and I will draw from Ambleside Online year 12.

I feel like this covers A LOT and is very deep, but not too time consuming.

3 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

I thought SWB only had SOTW (elementary)? Huh, guess it's time to take another look...

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I did not know that, either. Better take a look....

Download the kindle free sample. That's what's sold me. 

I havent looked at samples of the books themselves, but I did look at a sample of the ancients teaching guide. I am not sure if it's Secular or Christian, but it's definitely Old Earth. 

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I havent looked at samples of the books themselves, but I did look at a sample of the ancients teaching guide. I am not sure if it's Secular or Christian, but it's definitely Old Earth. 

Yep. We were going to skip a lil' bit. I don't keep evolution/old earth from my kids, I see it as a teachable moment. I plan to teach evolution in high school so they aren't ignorant on what they world thinks.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yep. We were going to skip a lil' bit. I don't keep evolution/old earth from my kids, I see it as a teachable moment. I plan to teach evolution in high school so they aren't ignorant on what they world thinks.

Agreed. I don't keep that information from my children, but rather let them know it is the theory of evolution. Once they've learned what and why we (the parents) believe what we do and what other theories are out there and why others choose to believe them, our children can/will make their own decisions as to what they believe. At the highschool level, I won't rule out old earth curricula based on only that info, but I'd be lying if I said I don't start looking closer at the lesson content. I certainly appreciate that it wasn't hidden, though, and easy to figure out in just that one sample.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't know what movies belong to what.  I've watched a number of the old Batman movies.  I've watched some of the old Superman movies.  I watched a Spiderman one, I think.  I think I've seen portions of Iron Man but don't think that I've watched the whole thing.  I did see Wonder Woman with Gadot in the movie theatre.  (Of course I'm also old enough to have watched the old Wonder Woman tv show with Linda Carter. . .   And the original Hulk tv show. . . )  Is Jessica Jones part of this?  I did watch that on Netflix. 

I stopped trying to keep up with everything a long time ago. Somewhere around the Endgame series, which I didn't finish. I don't even always remember who is DC and who is Marvel. And I still like the original Hulk tv show, too.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Dancer used the audio versions in high school, through Audible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

EdPo: I keep having to remind myself that what I do with Little Man does not have to be even remotely the same as what I have done/will do with the older kids. It is okay to be different. I'm struggling with not feeling locked into the same path which is of course ridiculous since he is his own unique person. Plus, I am a different teacher now. I don't WANT to do some of the things I did with the older ones again. For example, FLL and WWE: great programs, to be sure, but if I have to do them again, I will scream. (Sorry, Susan. I respect you immeasurably, but after 5 times through, I am so done!) Kinda sounds dumb, huh?

Black Panther tonight. So sad he died so young.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Morning, Happy Friday.  

I have nothing to contribute to the EdPo's.  My kids are teenagers and we are secular homeschoolers.    Science gets covered in my classes (which I write using a variety of stuff) so I don't have to worry about/discuss curriculum there.   History we're going to do US next year with Zinn and resources.  Lit - Essentials in Literature.  

I kind of miss the discussions trying to figure out what to do and searching all the options.  But then again, I kind of don't miss it at all.  I'm sure dh doesn't miss me buying things that don't work and we don't use.  

Oh!  I came up with an Ed question.  What is the absolutely easiest to do, can be done independently but still teaches well, Spanish curriculum?   Other than having a native speaker to talk to (lots of native speakers to practice but none to do it frequently enough to be the primary teaching method). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and happy Friday, ITT! We are preparing for foul weather later today.

I can't help with the edpos as I have a teen and have not used the kinds of things under discussion. I think anybody else who uses my rainbow-colored spreadsheet of doom does so for the organization rather than the content.

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Friday!

I got new bifocals yesterday and I'm still adjusting.  I could read my Bible this morning without taking my glasses off and putting them back on a million times, so that's an improvement. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, Slache said:

*splashes cold water on Servie*

Thanks. I needed that. I'm plodding along pretty good now. Fully alert, but not exactly energized. All kids have eaten breakfast, brushed teeth, gotten dressed, and school has commenced. I have consumed more coffee than usual, but today:

コーヒーが必要です 🤣

22 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Morning, Happy Friday.  

Oh!  I came up with an Ed question.  What is the absolutely easiest to do, can be done independently but still teaches well, Spanish curriculum?   Other than having a native speaker to talk to (lots of native speakers to practice but none to do it frequently enough to be the primary teaching method). 

I'm watching to see the answer to this one. Spanish is definitely on the horizon for us.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

Getting Started With Spanish followed by Spanish For Children, using Duolingo as a supplement. I haven't used the DVDs, but they're there. I suggest GSWS because SFC introduces a lot really fast.

• Like 4

Good moring!

The high school kids had an amazing time at their 1950's themed formal last night.  Then ds17 went to see the Dr. Strange movie with his English class.  Everyone is sleeping in except for I think dd19 who I can hear puttering about.

I have nothing really to contribute to curriculum discussion.  College ready or not, well, that's something I am dealing with regularly.  

Coffee!

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Slache said:

Getting Started With Spanish followed by Spanish For Children, using Duolingo as a supplement. I haven't used the DVDs, but they're there. I suggest GSWS because SFC introduces a lot really fast.

So, funny story but I'm pretty sure I have Getting Started with Spanish....around here.....somewhere.   I'll have to take another look at it.   

Is Spanish for Children geared toward little kids?  My 14 year old may rebel at that.

I also always had the idea of making them watch cartoons (like Spongebob) in Spanish.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

So, funny story but I'm pretty sure I have Getting Started with Spanish....around here.....somewhere.   I'll have to take another look at it.   

Is Spanish for Children geared toward little kids?  My 14 year old may rebel at that.

I also always had the idea of making them watch cartoons (like Spongebob) in Spanish.  

My kids use Spanish is Your Amigo by Kristin Williams in their tutorial class. It's designed to be self-study.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

No. Actually, CLE has workbooks to go with it for highschool credit.

https://christianlight.org/curriculum/high-school-electives/spanish-a/spanish-a-student-material

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 2

SfC was a huge disappointment here. Death by workbook format, "memorize this and we'll explain it later," just not what I want in a language program. Duolingo was more help than that, and it's free.

I don't love Homeschool Spanish Academy's written materials, but at least they get you talking with a native speaker. I don't love Paso a Paso, either--I'm very much whole-to-parts, and they use a mixed approach--and it's not independent.

I like Avancemos and plan to use them for the next 2-4 years but I don't think they're suited to independent study and IIRC they're being discontinued.

If I knew what was awesome, I would have been using it all along.

/edpo

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

I used Destinos with high school students. The entire series episodes are available for free https://www.learner.org/series/destinos-an-introduction-to-spanish/, and the workbooks and answer keys can be purchased cheaply on Amazon. It is set up like a telenovela (soap opera), but everything is kid-friendly. Having a continuous story makes it easier to follow in the long run.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Renai said:

I stopped trying to keep up with everything a long time ago. Somewhere around the Endgame series, which I didn't finish. I don't even always remember who is DC and who is Marvel. And I still like the original Hulk tv show, too.

Twinsies!

11 hours ago, Renai said:

Opening Night dance performance is in the books. The kids did great; fun was had by all!

Yay dancing!!

• Like 3

I have sort of pantzed: my flannels, and a tshirt. Today is laundry/clean bathrooms day, and I don't plan to leave the house, but one never knows, hence the pantz.

Tomorrow I'm doing a workshop at the library called "Teach Your Own." It's a crash course in private homeschooling; I wanted to call it something other than "Homeschool 101," KWIM? Only two people have signed up for it, but I'm ok with that. It will be fun. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

My kids use Spanish is Your Amigo by Kristin Williams in their tutorial class. It's designed to be self-study.

51 minutes ago, Renai said:

I used Destinos with high school students. The entire series episodes are available for free https://www.learner.org/series/destinos-an-introduction-to-spanish/, and the workbooks and answer keys can be purchased cheaply on Amazon. It is set up like a telenovela (soap opera), but everything is kid-friendly. Having a continuous story makes it easier to follow in the long run.

I need to look closer at both of these.  They look great.  

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. I have had four straight days of really good blood sugars. And it’s suddenly getting hard. I am having super lousy sleep, which I was warned would happen for the first month. So if a month is accurate, I have about 26 more days to go before it might get easier. 

I don't know which way to react here. Yay for good blood sugar levels. Sad for lousy sleep. Cry for possibly 26 more days of lousy sleep. Yay for knowing that better days are coming.

4 reactions X 1 post = 🙃

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3