• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

I don't know what movies belong to what.  I've watched a number of the old Batman movies.  I've watched some of the old Superman movies.  I watched a Spiderman one, I think.  I think I've seen portions of Iron Man but don't think that I've watched the whole thing.  I did see Wonder Woman with Gadot in the movie theatre.  (Of course I'm also old enough to have watched the old Wonder Woman tv show with Linda Carter. . .   And the original Hulk tv show. . . )  Is Jessica Jones part of this?  I did watch that on Netflix. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

How? I wish I could. I can't let the boys watch Marvels because of the language. 

MANUALLY. Oi. One of us watches, writes them down, then Matt runs them through an editing software and removes them. Probably illegal but we pay for the movies and don't care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Green Bean said:

EdPo: Servie- what do you use to practice manuscript handwriting?

Nothing. I modify whatever program they learn to write with to D'Nealian style and print a page that has all the letters with directional arrows and tape it to their desk. I figure they write enough in a day in English and spelling to get plenty of practice.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Slache said:

MANUALLY. Oi. One of us watches, writes them down, then Matt runs them through an editing software and removes them. Probably illegal but we pay for the movies and don't care.

Are you editing the physical dvd so that it'll play censored in another player? Or are you making a censored digital copy? And are the words removed audio or bleeped?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't know what movies belong to what.  I've watched a number of the old Batman movies.  I've watched some of the old Superman movies.  I watched a Spiderman one, I think.  I think I've seen portions of Iron Man but don't think that I've watched the whole thing.  I did see Wonder Woman with Gadot in the movie theatre.  (Of course I'm also old enough to have watched the old Wonder Woman tv show with Linda Carter. . .   And the original Hulk tv show. . . )  Is Jessica Jones part of this?  I did watch that on Netflix. 

I'm definitely more a Marvel fan than DC but I really liked the new Wonder Woman movies and Aquaman.  I also watched the original WW on tv, as well as the Incredible Hulk.  

Batman has been done too many times.  It's getting ridiculous.  I haven't seen most of those.   I did watch Justice League, both versions.  

My favorites would be Iron Man and Spiderman.    Iron Man because I like snark.  Spiderman it might just be because I like Tom Holland. 🙂 

I did like Thor Ragnarok, but I also like the Guardians of the Galaxy films.  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Are you editing the physical dvd so that it'll play censored in another player? Or are you making a censored digital copy? And are the words removed audio or bleeped?

Digital copy, removed audio. I think bleeps would get annoying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't let my kids listen to swear words either.  I watch the movie with headphones, write down language issues, and then watch the movie with them with my notes and the remote so that I can mute.

It's tedious.

There are some words that I would be okay with with the older kids -- I mean, I can't shelter them forever -- but there's no place in the house that the younger kids can go that they can't hear the tv.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

I am ditching exercise today. My allergies are killing me and I feel like carp. So, I’m taking a few minutes to ITT before starting my day.

Busy day. Girls have piano lessons. I have work. DS works today, too. He provides in-home respite now and then for a family with a severely autistic child.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Slache said:

Ragnarok is the funniest, according to my family, but it is similar in humor to Guardians. Black Panther is the best stand alone. If you haven't seen it I advise that one. I liked the TV show Loki. You could watch them all in Spanish.

We thought Antman was pretty funny.

9 hours ago, Junie said:

I haven't seen Endgame or Infinity War yet.

Winter Soldier was good except for the evil guy.  He was supposed to stay an elf.  I don't even want to think about it.

Black Widow was like The Incredibles on steroids.

We liked Winter Soldier.

9 hours ago, Green Bean said:

We figured Black Widow out in about 5 mins. That one really didn't need to be made. Captain Marvel could have been better. Too much stupid "girl power" Hollywood gunk for us.

I have a list of all the movies in order. We skipped a few- the Hulk movies are best forgotten about.

Totally agree. I did not like that movie. It was very cliche. She used to be one of my favorite characters, but I don’t like her a whole lot now.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Junie said:

I don't let my kids listen to swear words either.  I watch the movie with headphones, write down language issues, and then watch the movie with them with my notes and the remote so that I can mute.

It's tedious.

There are some words that I would be okay with with the older kids -- I mean, I can't shelter them forever -- but there's no place in the house that the younger kids can go that they can't hear the tv.

They watch them over and over and without me, so it's worth the time.

Just now, Servant4Christ said:

Teach me! Or PM me if you'd rather.

Lol, no. It's a lot of work and requires a lot of software. We're redoing them because we lost them in a computer explosion (slight exaggeration) and it will take months, but I can send them to you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! It’s Cinco de Mayo!

Today is dd19’s last day of classes before finals.  Tonight is the tutorial’s 1950’s high school formal.  The kids are really excited about it.  Probably will be a bit stormy on and off today.

Oh, and exciting news that my 4 o’clock tuber is sprouting again!!  It is well protected from squirrels this time.

Coffee!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have seen pretty much none of the films. Parts of Star Wars stuff here and there as DH has watched. I don't mind reading fiction from time to time, but movies are always too loud and too slow for me to enjoy.

My car is still in the shop. I hope to get a lot done at home today.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Green Bean said:

What did you lose? I can check my local store for used copies, if you like. Or if you call them, they may have an Act of Toddler free replacement clause. MP does, thank goodness! I’ve had to invoke it twice over the years. Ironically, both times the child spilled chocolate milk all over my curriculum manual. DS 16 when he was 5 and Little Man this year. Spill proof cups are NOT spill proof!

It was just the grade 6 hardback spelling book. It's new because we haven't used it yet, but I bought it last year because I buy both backward and forward every year. Not a big deal, thankfully, because I can just order another when I place my RR order along with the grade 6 MP literature set and additional Notgrass lit books. I'm mostly irritated with myself for somehow not noticing Youngest grab it off the bookshelf on the way to the bathroom. He's getting quick! He LOVES books. Especially Oldest's school books if he can get his hands on them. 😂

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

It was just the grade 6 hardback spelling book. It's new because we haven't used it yet, but I bought it last year because I buy both backward and forward every year. Not a big deal, thankfully, because I can just order another when I place my RR order along with the grade 6 MP literature set and additional Notgrass lit books. I'm mostly irritated with myself for somehow not noticing Youngest grab it off the bookshelf on the way to the bathroom. He's getting quick! He LOVES books. Especially Oldest's school books if he can get his hands on them. 😂

What Notgrass are you doing?

• Like 3

I wish my kids liked Notgrass. Sadly no. MP works for us so I guess I should be grateful.

Morning! I took Benadryl last night on top of my allergy pill because right under my eyes has been itching and puffy. I have no idea what’s causing it, though. Taking that makes me sleep so I barely just woke up.

I keep dreaming it’s snowing in my house and outside. Wishful Scotland thinking, maybe?

Lots of school today with hopefully no interruptions.

Little Man finished off his TGTB handwriting book yesterday. I just printed it last Monday! That kid likes tracing a lot.

Servie- thank you for answering my question.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I wish my kids liked Notgrass. Sadly no. MP works for us so I guess I should be grateful.

Morning! I took Benadryl lady night on top of my allergy pill because right under my eyes has been itching and puffy. I have no idea what’s causing it, though. I keep dreaming it’s snowing in my house and outside. Wishful thinking, maybe?

Taking that makes me sleep so I barely just woke up. Lots of school today with hopefully no interruptions.

1. Little Man finished off his TGTB handwriting book yesterday. I just printed it last Monday! That kid likes tracing a lot.

2. Servie- thank you for answering my question.

1. That's awesome! Go, Little Man! I'm guessing Youngest will be like this.

2. Of course! I have a PDF of D'Nealian letter pages (free from somewhere online) that I might use for the youngers, but we'll see. I have a friend who says her kids love TGTB handwriting. I wouldn't like following the rainbow of colors. I much prefer numbered directional arrows. They make more sense to me and Oldest says they look less babyish.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

Second half/ textbook of From Adam to Us. I'm so thankful none of our Notgrass went swimming! 

John is doing that next year. The rest if us are doing Our 50 States.

1 hour ago, Green Bean said:

I don't like Notgrass, my kids do.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Slache said:

John is doing that next year. The rest if us are doing Our 50 States.

I don't like Notgrass, my kids do.

I love Notgrass. But...then again I don't. I love the format and the pictures and I do like the lessons, but the lack of continuity, or something just drives me batty. It's so random.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I love Notgrass. But...then again I don't. I love the format and the pictures and I do like the lessons, but the lack of continuity, or something just drives me batty. It's so random.

Yes. And by covering random, weird things, they miss big things.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I know my kids are little so I really don't care. They love listening to the stories and looking at the pictures (My Star Spangled Story). It totally feels random to me what is covered and what is not and when. Even though I'm Christian I skipped some of the missionary (?) stories because I don't know it feels weird to emphasize that when  our nation isn't that Christ-like. 

• Like 2

Had to get up at 2 am for pain meds due to very owie hips.  So this morning Xena did:

clamshells

fire hydrants

curtsy lunges

inner thigh pulses

knee flappers

ballet leg lifts

outer thigh extensions

extended hydrant pulses

plie pulses  (I know that bheel told me how to put the accent on the "e" but I can't remember how.  At least I think that a little bird had told me. . . )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

That's supposed to say "I need coffee." Did I do it wrong?

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

Because I already got it tattooed.

At least you didn’t accidentally have “I kill baby kittens” tattooed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Yes. And by covering random, weird things, they miss big things.

Well, and they don’t tie anything together. It’s like, they land on a topic, talk about it, and then go land on another random topic. I’m doing SoTW 3 with my girls and even though it goes all over the place, she does tie the stories together. Like, we just studied Peter the Great and she mentioned that he met William Penn and the Quakers, which we studied a little while ago. So there’s a thread of continuity that links world events and people together.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

I'll join you! Your weather is probably nicer.

Actually the weather here is gorgeous. High 70’s, low 80’s, light breeze, plenty of Sunshine. Of course you have to mainline the Benadryl, but….

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, and they don’t tie anything together. It’s like, they land on a topic, talk about it, and then go land on another random topic. I’m doing SoTW 3 with my girls and even though it goes all over the place, she does tie the stories together. Like, we just studied Peter the Great and she mentioned that he met William Penn and the Quakers, which we studied a little while ago. So there’s a thread of continuity that links world events and people together.

I wonder if their highschool curriculum does a better job of this?

I actually wanted to do MOH, but Oldest said he liked the samples he read of Notgrass better. I think he just prefers how straightforward the daily assignments are and how easily predictable they are.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I actually wanted to do MOH, but Oldest said he liked the samples he read of Notgrass better. I think he just prefers how straightforward the daily assignments are and how easily predictable they are.

Yes, that is a plus. And I do love their literature suggestions. 

• Like 4

I hate to be bagging so much on Notgrass, but I will say “Uncle Sam and You” is excellent. Because of the subject matter (inner workings of the government, etc., national holidays) it doesn’t matter so much that it is random.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Google translated it as coffee is a commodity or something like that

I have no idea. Maybe?

Screenshot_20220505-151105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.79cf0c0bf83c0469cfbd6ac8e8b62caf.jpg

Yes, this is what I did.

24 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Yes, any time you all start typing other languages, I've learned to use Google translate

Muy bien!

23 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

At least you didn’t accidentally have “I kill baby kittens” tattooed.

Ye's.

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Also ye's. I remember there was a story that was like this person did this one thing and her great grandma did this other thing and her parents did this third thing but her grandmother isn't famous for anything.

Um... thanks?

18 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I won't use MOH because I met the woman in real life and she said that while the Catholic view of history is more accurate she had to write it from the protestant perspective or it wouldn't sell and I was horrified that she wrote what she considers lies as a history curriculum and I have to question the wisdom of sharing this with a COMPLETE stranger, and that was that.

• Like 3