Menu

Ignore this thread!

On 4/4/2022 at 7:15 PM, Slache said:

Junie! I read on a free sample of Skills For Literary Analysis that you should read some of the books the year before but I can't find the same sample. Can you look that up for me? And tell me if it's the same for American?

If you can't I'll start a thread. Thank you!

Okay -- Let me know if this doesn't answer your question(s).

On page 7 of Skills for Literary Analysis (student book), there is a list of books that students are "strongly suggested" to read "most, if not all of these titles during the summer before taking this course."

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Idylls of the King by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

How Green was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Silas Marner by George Eliot

"The Religious Life of the Negro" by Booker T. Washington

Anne of Green Gables by L. Maude Montgomery

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

Shane by Jack Warner Schaefer

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

And when you asked about American, did you mean the Apologia American literature course? And if they have a summer reading list?

ETA: Hey! It's a literature booyah!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

5 minutes ago, Junie said:

I've never seen the movie or read the book.

Movie is 1940s. Maureen O'Hara and Roddy McDowell is a little boy. Love the music.

The book has dark things not included in the movie. A young girl getting raped and the rapist being given to her fathers and brothers to beat. Some sexual encounters. I wouldn't give it to my dd.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Movie is 1940s. Maureen O'Hara and Roddy McDowell is a little boy. Love the music.

The book has dark things not included in the movie. A young girl getting raped and the rapist being given to her fathers and brothers to beat. Some sexual encounters. I wouldn't give it to my dd.

Good to know.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

I stand corrected. Oldest likes R&S English (not the writing assignments) except on test days. The tests are getting longer and require more written work. Yes, part of today's schoolwork just so happens to be an English test. 

Can the test be done in two parts instead of all at once?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Can the test be done in two parts instead of all at once?

Yes, I usually divide it in half with either a break or other more enjoyable subject in between. He just balked at the idea of writing a couple of full sentence definitions at the beginning of this particular test, especially once he flipped through and saw that he also had a couple of sentences with double negatives to correct/rewrite in two ways on another page. He changed his attitude and flew through the rest of the test after those sections were completed. Next up: Math. Svengo

Yeah, wait until he sees the four paragraph book report he will be assigned in a couple of weeks. I might need to visit the island if we survive.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Can she die silently if there is no dying aloud?  😉 

17 hours ago, Ellie said:

I was wondering exactly the same thing, but you were faster than I. Also, I got sidetracked and forgot, so there's that.

Hmph….. you guys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We’ve been doing state testing the past three weeks. There aren’t enough bad words to describe how much I hate state testing. We have to do it. We are a public school and I work for a public school, but….. this is one of the reasons I wanted to homeschool in the first place.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

So… hopefully this isn’t my stupidest idea yet. I just cut a huge thick appliances box to fit in our curb “planting strip” (which is supposed to be nice weeded mulch interspersed with hydrangeas). My plan is to cover it with mulch but to leave the very healthy weeds to die under the box layer. Every year I am the only one in the neighborhood weeding for hours and my weeds seem to grow heavier and healthier as a result. 

• Like 3

EdPo: 2 ideas for DD:

1- L 5 TGTB

2- CAP WOL & W&R

She needs spelling work but for larger words. MegaWords? SWO?

We schooled and Costcoed.

DH is grilling tonight then handling the driving for Youth Night. I should be making sides but I tired.

16 yr old son signed up for a 2 day youth conference not knowing the entire thing is outside including sleeping in tents. He has really bad seasonal allergies even with meds, and we do zero camping. He will be backing out.

2 episodes to go to finish Forever with 16 yr old. I’m already so tired, though, and he won’t get back from YN until 9. I’m thinking not tonight.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So… hopefully this isn’t my stupidest idea yet. I just cut a huge thick appliances box to fit in our curb “planting strip” (which is supposed to be nice weeded mulch interspersed with hydrangeas). My plan is to cover it with mulch but to leave the very healthy weeds to die under the box layer. Every year I am the only one in the neighborhood weeding for hours and my weeds seem to grow heavier and healthier as a result. 

That'll work. I've done it, too.

5 hours ago, Green Bean said:

EdPo: 2 ideas for DD:

1- L 5 TGTB

2- CAP WOL & W&R

What is #2?

4 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Dinner change due to wind- orange chicken and fried rice. The wind kept blowing out the grill jets.

We also had ridiculous winds here.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

We were supposed to have seafood salad and Greek salad but SOMEONE bought zucchinis instead of cucumbers so everyone had fries instead of salad and I had a tomato.

Recipe for seafood salad?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Recipe for seafood salad?

Seafood Salad

1 pound cooked crab meat

1 to 1-1/2 pound shrimp

2 scallions thinly sliced

2 tablespoons chopped parsley

1 Thai chili pepper finely diced

2 tablespoons mayonnaise

2 tablespoon lemon juice

Salt and pepper

Add frozen shrimp to salted boiling water with lemon slices, about 4 minutes. 2-1/2 minutes for thawed. 

I usually make the mayo out of avocado oil, buy imitation crab and leave out the shrimp unless it's on sale. I eat it in a bowl, everyone else does sammiches.

(note from Susan: I use more mayo and some Tajin instead of the Thai chili pepper because I never remember to buy one.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I fell asleep early, had a nightmare, and now I’m awake.

Renai- Classical Academic Press Well-Ordered Lang and Writing & Rhetoric.

DD picked option 1. I think it was seeing all the analyzing in WOL that did it. Plus, she loves art and wanted TGTB art lessons.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Junie said:

Okay -- Let me know if this doesn't answer your question(s).

On page 7 of Skills for Literary Analysis (student book), there is a list of books that students are "strongly suggested" to read "most, if not all of these titles during the summer before taking this course."

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Idylls of the King by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

How Green was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

Silas Marner by George Eliot

"The Religious Life of the Negro" by Booker T. Washington

Anne of Green Gables by L. Maude Montgomery

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

Shane by Jack Warner Schaefer

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare

And when you asked about American, did you mean the Apologia American literature course? And if they have a summer reading list?

ETA: Hey! It's a literature booyah!

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted! It's long! Thank you!

Yes, the summer reading course for Apologia American Literature. If there is one. 🤠

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted! It's long! Thank you!

Yes, the summer reading course for Apologia American Literature. If there is one. 🤠

I just looked through the Apologia American literature books -- the text and the notebook -- and I did not see a summer reading list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's still whole books though? You just read as you go?

It's whole works -- and yes, just read as you go.

The book is set up chronologically, so most of the early works are not novels -- more essays, poems, etc.  But they include (at least for the most part) the whole work -- not just two stanzas or whatever like a lot of other curricula.

Not all of the books are included in the text (because of length/copyright issues) -- so you will have to buy/borrow some of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1