Menu

Ignore this thread!

45 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

One more question and then I've got to get back to my to-do list.  I'm thinking of having roast, potatoes, carrots in the crock pot for friends coming over this weekend for dinner.  One of them is gluten free (celiac) and my usual crock pot additives (ahem, coke and onion soup mix ?) won't work.  What is easy that I can use instead?  Thanks!   

Gluten free beef broth and sautéd onions (or dried minced onions) and garlic, salt & pepper.  A tablespoon of sugar to replace the coke?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Okay - the inspiration thread - on the general board has me thinking.  I could use some inspirational homeschool reading.  I haven't done any in a long time.  But I think the burn out part of me would cringe in guilt more than it would get inspired.  Anyone have suggestions for homeschool reading that you enjoyed even if you felt burnout?  I don't want too much praise for a lifestyle that I don't feel capable of pulling off right now, iykwim.  

I feel this. And no, I can't think of any at the moment. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

Good Tuesday morning!  I had to hit the ground running this morning, laundry is in, meds have been taken, animals taken care of and dishwasher unloaded.  

Lynn--rereading something helps me when burn out has hit specifically, Pocket Full of Pinecones by Karen Andreola.

Krissi--praying for your meeting 

Hmmmm.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I might be judging a book by its cover, but I feel like that would make me feel worse.  Is it nature study focused?  I hate nature study.  I began homeschooling with Ambleside Online, so I love the *idea* of CM philosophically, but I don't feel like it's something I can go back to at this point.  It would feel like a huge burden.  And it wouldn't fit what our family culture has become.  ?

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Gluten free beef broth and sautéd onions (or dried minced onions) and garlic, salt & pepper.  A tablespoon of sugar to replace the coke?

Thanks!  I'm guessing I could still use the coke (unhealthy though it is, lol), but that is helpful!  

8 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Morning. That's all I got. Well, actually no. I got an acceptance on some poems yesterday. The editor said the precision and tension in my writing was wonderfully done. ?

YAY!!!!!  ?  Finally someone wise enough to recognize your brilliance! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Okay - the inspiration thread - on the general board has me thinking.  I could use some inspirational homeschool reading.  I haven't done any in a long time.  But I think the burn out part of me would cringe in guilt more than it would get inspired.  Anyone have suggestions for homeschool reading that you enjoyed even if you felt burnout?  I don't want too much praise for a lifestyle that I don't feel capable of pulling off right now, iykwim.  

Dr. Raymond Moore's "Homeschool Burnout." ? Boy, what a kerfuffle that caused when it was published!

"Homeschooling for Excellence," by David and Micki Colfax.

All of John Holt's books, only one of which is actually about homeschooling.

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 4

Praying, Krissi!

Congrats, Critter!

Lynn—I don’t know re: books. I actually get refreshed by going for a hike, having an evening out with girlfriends, or doing a craft. When I am burned out in homeschooling it’s because life is out of balance for me. I have been pushing too hard on the daily grind and need to feed my soul a bit. 

ETA: Back to bed Booyah! 

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 6

Thanks for the prayers, ladies. The meeting went well. The principal is genuinely a good man and he cares about the kids. He was very stern and no nonsense with DS, but I know that unless God does a work in his heart, and also, his underlying issues are resolved, he’s not going to be able to live up to the contract.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Genki really needs to be taught. There isn’t enough information just in the text or at least it is confusing without some breaking down. 

There are videos available by third parties. I believe all are college professors. Check youtube. I can ask reddit for more information if you want.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slache said:

There are videos available by third parties. I believe all are college professors. Check youtube. I can ask reddit for more information if you want.

You misunderstood me. I understand fully how to teach it. I was making a comment because so many people just hand the text to their high schoolers and expect them to learn Japanese. 

• Like 3

Lynn, yes it's about nature study and the gentle art of homeschooling the CM way but, that's why I read it even though, I know we aren't going to do it, it just sort of reminds me that it's ok to take it a little easy.  I would also agree with Prairiewindmomma, that burn out usually means that I'm outta whack and need to do a little something for myself, that's not homeschool related.

3 loads of laundry done today, washed, dried and folded, yay me!  Usually, one of those things doesn't get done until the next day.  I know what's for dinner and the youngest is done for the day.  I think the oldest should only need to work for another hour or hour and a half.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You misunderstood me. I understand fully how to teach it. I was making a comment because so many people just hand the text to their high schoolers and expect them to learn Japanese. 

I thought you were pressed for time. I told you about my foot mouth problem!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ds23 took his car to be inspected today and it failed because the check engine light is on.  The check engine light is on because the coolant is too cool.  We can't find a remedy for this problem except to wait until the check engine light decides to go off and everything carries on as usual.  ?

• Like 3

Dh loves that Chipotle lets you save each specialized order so all he has to do is click the name of the person he is ordering for (great on days when kids have activities away from home).

Ds, bless his heart, made rice in the instant pot for lunch and burned the bottom. Again. I need to get it clean to make supper and he is away at a class. I have been soaking it but have no hand strength. Ideas???

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh loves that Chipotle lets you save each specialized order so all he has to do is click the name of the person he is ordering for (great on days when kids have activities away from home).

Ds, bless his heart, made rice in the instant pot for lunch and burned the bottom. Again. I need to get it clean to make supper and he is away at a class. I have been soaking it but have no hand strength. Ideas???

This won't work if the pot surface is easily scratched but I have found that using a long handed spatula for scraping the bottom of pans after they've been soaked is so much easier on my hands.  I suppose that you could make sure that it is a rubber coated spatula if the pan is teflon coated.  Don't know how badly things are stuck but perhaps this will help. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This won't work if the pot surface is easily scratched but I have found that using a long handed spatula for scraping the bottom of pans after they've been soaked is so much easier on my hands.  I suppose that you could make sure that it is a rubber coated spatula if the pan is teflon coated.  Don't know how badly things are stuck but perhaps this will help. 

It’s a stainless steel pot with no coating, so I will give that a go... Thx!

• Like 4

I got a package today!

Notgrass Exploring America  -- These are beautiful books!

I already have the World History, although we haven't used it yet.  (I think ds18 might have read it.)

I didn't use history curriculum for ds18 because he *loves* history and read so much of it that I didn't *require* any.  I know that when he saw that I was selling the Abeka 11th grade history book (because I thought it was boring), he rescued it and read it on his own.  :shrug:

I am working through the 20th century decade by decade (with dd14 and dd16).  We are in the 1950s right now.  When we finish dd16 will use the Notgrass World History and dd14 will do either Economics/Government or the Notgrass American History.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I need the ENB---full bazooka squad.

We are still battling it out with the moving adjusters.  You guys, I have a photo of the movers with the item and they are claiming that the item doesn't exist and therefore couldn't have been lost.  It's so beyond ludicrous. 

This physical move has been so completely awful.  

Seriously, next time we are selling everything and moving via suitcase.  We'll each own a dinner setting and a japanese futon mat and three outfits of clothing and a smart phone with charging cable. Oh, and a bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap because apparently that cleans everything.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

48 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I need the ENB---full bazooka squad.

We are still battling it out with the moving adjusters.  You guys, I have a photo of the movers with the item and they are claiming that the item doesn't exist and therefore couldn't have been lost.  It's so beyond ludicrous. 

This physical move has been so completely awful.  

Seriously, next time we are selling everything and moving via suitcase.  We'll each own a dinner setting and a japanese futon mat and three outfits of clothing and a smart phone with charging cable. Oh, and a bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap because apparently that cleans everything.

I’m so sorry, Prairie!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Critter, may I stick my nose in where it doesn't belong and gently suggest that you see a doctor?  I'm concerned that you've been down for a very long time.  ((Critter))

If the blues don't recede, I will. DH is keeping an eye on me, which is good.? It's certainly been a climb out of the summer funk this year, and I don't like that. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am laugh crying.

I finally got the instant pot cleaned up to cook bbq chicken in. It turns out that the chicken had gone bad—had to throw it away. It also had leaked chicken juice all over the fridge drawer it was in, contaminating the 10 yogurts that were on the other side of the container.

Ugh.

Prairie, you win the worst day ever award. All expenses paid to the ITT island, a personal cabana boy, and all the little umbrella drinks you want. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1