Menu

Ignore this thread!

43 minutes ago, Slache said:

For Latin I wanted to do Visual Latin followed by Oxford, but I decided I wanted to do Latin before John decided on Japanese so I don't know if we'll have the time.

I haz Visual Latin and I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. I like Cambridge much better. Let me know if you want to come over sometime to compare. ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junie said:

What I want in a writing program:

1. a program that will prepare students for college writing. 

2. research paper how-to from start to finish

3. not parts-to-whole

4. not a lot of busywork

5. and I would love it could be tied to literature that I actually like.  ; )

CLE has a Light Unit specifically for research paper writing and it does a good job.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Spudater said:

I’m kind of bummed she’ll be in 8th and only Second Form Latin.  She actually didn’t learn that much from GSWL and the time we spent in it in retrospect was just treading water.  Poor guinea pig eldest.

Don’t worry about it. The Form Series are tough. My kids just didn’t make it. We started all over again and I made a whole bunch of worksheets that go with Henle Latin and we are running it as a class. Basically we are starting again, though their previous knowledge is helping a lot. For some kids, it just takes a long time for the paradigms to sink in.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Elaborate on the intentional instruction bits, please... ?

I haven't figure it out yet.  :)

I'm just realizing that some of the questions he's been asking re: his research paper were things that I thought he knew.

• Like 2

I did mom's morning time and kid's morning time. Now they're doing chores while I "get school ready" or something.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I haz Visual Latin and I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. I like Cambridge much better. Let me know if you want to come over sometime to compare. ? 

I need the drooly guy! Why are you less impressed? I'm kind of torn with our Spanish knowledge and having several years of Greek under our belt we might jump right into Oxford. I don't remember why I chose Oxford over Cambridge. It doesn't really matter right now, I was looking for a general plan so I could have a timeline and set my thoughts aside to focus on nowy things.

42 minutes ago, Spudater said:

That’s good.  I feel like I go all over the place..freakay tweakay...

Every time I try that it backfires. So we're boring.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Slache said:

I did mom's morning time and kid's morning time. Now they're doing chores while I "get school ready" or something.

I need the drooly guy! Why are you less impressed? I'm kind of torn with our Spanish knowledge and having several years of Greek under our belt we might jump right into Oxford. I don't remember why I chose Oxford over Cambridge. It doesn't really matter right now, I was looking for a general plan so I could have a timeline and set my thoughts aside to focus on nowy things.

Every time I try that it backfires. So we're boring.

I don't think you are using this word correctly.  :)

"Boring" is one of the last words I would use to describe your family.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Visual Latin...:

there are vocabulary words in assignments that aren’t in the study text

the answer key does not always match the assignment 

the answer key has been wrong a couple of times

not enough review is built into practicing declensions

the program itself isn’t fleshed out enough to function as a high school level program

if you have any familiarity with the Old Testament you can fake the translations since all translation work is based on scripture stories

and more... ? but those are the biggies

• Sad 2

Our dishwasher wasn't leaking.  It was not pumping in enough water to wash and rinse the dishes.

Dh figured out that if you opened the dishwasher at strategic points and tossed in a stockpot full of water, then you could end up with clean dishes.

The water pump thing has been replaced, so hopefully it will work properly now.

• Like 7

Whew!  You guys reminded me to start the dishwasher before we leave.

I have been escaping by making Scandinavian woven heart baskets and looking up instructions for making straw ornaments.

My sincere apologies to the Booyah Volcano gods!  I will appease them with a haiku.

Rehearsal was late
And no time to ITT
It will never end...

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Whew!  You guys reminded me to start the dishwasher before we leave.

I have been escaping by making Scandinavian woven heart baskets and looking up instructions for making straw ornaments.

I want to make Scandinavian woven heart baskets. All I’ve been doing is cracking the whip with school, washing clothes and baking bread. And my allergies are out of control. I have the worst headache.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

PSA:  texting someone incessantly to order stuff online is for you, while they are in the middle of doing something else is still a disruption!  So is texting them, waiting five minutes and then calling to ask if the kids can hang out when lessons are done, just sayin'.  Back to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like 3

Boy, we made it through that page fast!

You guys should have seen me running memory work with Mary, running math drills with John WITHOUT an answer key and desnotting the baby. It almost looked like I knew what I was doing. I can't believe I'm going to have three students someday. :blink:

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I don't think you are using this word correctly.  ?

"Boring" is one of the last words I would use to describe your family.

I. Um... Thanks?

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Visual Latin...:

there are vocabulary words in assignments that aren’t in the study text

the answer key does not always match the assignment 

the answer key has been wrong a couple of times

not enough review is built into practicing declensions

the program itself isn’t fleshed out enough to function as a high school level program

if you have any familiarity with the Old Testament you can fake the translations since all translation work is based on scripture stories

and more... ? but those are the biggies

Well, this is all very poop. Thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Do the Greek, Slashie!

Oh, we're doing the Greek. Greek is the thing that's most important to me. Greek comes before Japanese or Latin. I wanted to teach bilingually and have Latin and Greek on the side. When he decided he wanted to learn Japanese I said no because I thought that meant we wouldn't be learning Latin but I decided that I was taking the wrong attitude. I still want to do Latin but as they get older their subjects get longer and one can only teach so many languages! Also, when we started Japanese I assumed it would be the kind of thing that we could wrap up by 6th grade like one could with Spanish. No... Japanese doesn't work that way...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, mama25angels said:

PSA:  texting someone incessantly to order stuff online is for you, while they are in the middle of doing something else is still a disruption!  So is texting them, waiting five minutes and then calling to ask if the kids can hang out when lessons are done, just sayin'.  Back to your regularly scheduled program.

In my MIL's dream we live across the street from her so that she can come over during the day and hang out between lessons. What could go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:

To anyone who likes my countdowns it's a free app called Final Countdown. I have my steps going up and everything else going down.

I wanna play!

Content: Apologia religion, CHOW, an unrelated mapping program and Science in The Beginning, me thinks. I make no promises.
John (3rd): IEW across the curriculum for writing and lit with RLTL and beginning homemade Spanish compositions, Strayer Upton, same Greek & Japanese.
Mary (1st): RLTL & Copywork, GSWS & La Pata Pita, Strayer Upton and Lollipop Logic, Hey Andrew 1 followed by GACC, same Japanese.

I'm sorry.

I tried to pm you, but couldn't.  Full?  I have Science in the Ancient World, so if you decided to do it in a year or two, don't buy it.  Remind me.  

4 hours ago, Junie said:

What I want in a writing program:

1. a program that will prepare students for college writing. 

2. research paper how-to from start to finish

3. not parts-to-whole

4. not a lot of busywork

5. and I would love it could be tied to literature that I actually like.  ; )

Junie for President!  

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

CLE has a Light Unit specifically for research paper writing and it does a good job.

Good reminder!  I should get that.  

1 hour ago, Junie said:

The dishwasher is repaired.

He apologized that it took so long.  He's new to the job and he said that Bosch dishwashers (while good machines) are not friendly to appliance repair technicians.

I just hope it works.

We have a Bosch.  I think I've shared this before - the control panel broke off, but still works.  I like it otherwise.  

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

Not complaining about my MIL. I don't want anyone coming over to my house every day.

Preach it!  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

For the record, guys, she's NOT talking to, or about, me!

She was talking about me. :happy:

6 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

I tried to pm you, but couldn't.  Full?  I have Science in the Ancient World, so if you decided to do it in a year or two, don't buy it.  Remind me.  

Yay!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Everyone told me that being Camp Director would not be very busy.  Everyone was wrong.  Spent another hour or so that I wasn't expecting on camp business today.  Not that I'm complaining.  I'm actually getting some good information that I need.  But I have to allocate an other half hour or so to doing some more  camp business this afternoon. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Oh, we're doing the Greek. Greek is the thing that's most important to me. Greek comes before Japanese or Latin. I wanted to teach bilingually and have Latin and Greek on the side. When he decided he wanted to learn Japanese I said no because I thought that meant we wouldn't be learning Latin but I decided that I was taking the wrong attitude. I still want to do Latin but as they get older their subjects get longer and one can only teach so many languages! Also, when we started Japanese I assumed it would be the kind of thing that we could wrap up by 6th grade like one could with Spanish. No... Japanese doesn't work that way...

Yeah, I really wanted to do Greek, too. We started Greek. We learned the alphabet and actually made it through the first book of.... oh, what was it called? Elementary Greek. I think that's what it's called.  But, we ran out of time. And my kids all struggle with school.  So, we dropped the Greek. I even wanted to keep up with it myself, but I can't even keep up with my own Latin studies.

• Like 3

Willy Nilly.  I have to take DD somewhere an hour away tonight for job training.  But I will have to stay there because it doesn't make sense to drive an hour, drive back home, stay home one hour and then drive back for an hour.  And we have to leave right around dinner time.  So I talked to dh and he's willing to grab dinner from the freezer so at least I don't have to cook a regular dinner that 2/3 of us won't be around to eat. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I want to make Scandinavian woven heart baskets. All I’ve been doing is cracking the whip with school, washing clothes and baking bread. And my allergies are out of control. I have the worst headache.

(((Krissi)))  Hope your headache is better.  Praying for your day today.

10 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I'm in bed, eating peanuts and popcorn.   Letting ds11 have 30 minutes of tv before I make him go to bed.  He was a real pill today.  He's been fine tonight, and got most of his schoolwork done between 6:30 and 9 tonight.  

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Tuesday!!

DH and I have a meeting first thing this morning at DS1’s school with the principal. They are putting him on contract. Some prayers for that meeting would be much appreciated. We are just needing so much to get to the root of his behavior problems, so hopefully, then, we can find a way to treat them. 

I have a cut and color this afternoon, too!!

Bellchoir was last night. Ok, I just need to vent a little. I know people have busy schedules. I do, too. But I come. Missing bell choir messes everything up because your notes don’t get played. And then it doesn’t sound right. Some of us more experienced ones tried to pick up extra bells so at least the melody line gets played, but we can’t play them all. ?????

• Like 9

Okay - the inspiration thread - on the general board has me thinking.  I could use some inspirational homeschool reading.  I haven't done any in a long time.  But I think the burn out part of me would cringe in guilt more than it would get inspired.  Anyone have suggestions for homeschool reading that you enjoyed even if you felt burnout?  I don't want too much praise for a lifestyle that I don't feel capable of pulling off right now, iykwim.  

• Like 4

One more question and then I've got to get back to my to-do list.  I'm thinking of having roast, potatoes, carrots in the crock pot for friends coming over this weekend for dinner.  One of them is gluten free (celiac) and my usual crock pot additives (ahem, coke and onion soup mix ?) won't work.  What is easy that I can use instead?  Thanks!   

Good Tuesday morning!  I had to hit the ground running this morning, laundry is in, meds have been taken, animals taken care of and dishwasher unloaded.  

Lynn--rereading something helps me when burn out has hit specifically, Pocket Full of Pinecones by Karen Andreola.

Krissi--praying for your meeting 

Edited by mama25angels
I misspelled pocket, lol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1